Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Convertible Top and Sunroof Problems

Comments

• lvmycaglvmycag Posts: 2
    Do you know which switch, where it was located and/or the name of the switch?

Thanks!
  • lvmycaglvmycag Posts: 2
    My 2000 is doing the same thing. Have you fixed it?
  • trish22trish22 Posts: 1
    We have recently purchased a 2008 Sebring Convertible Touring, vynal top, built in April 2008. No problems with noise or with the retractible roof, everything seems to be smooth there however we have a problem that I have not seen mentioned previously. Just after owing the veh for 4 days, we took it thu a pressure car wash, and much to our surprise, we got wet. Water pourred in on both driver & passenger sides at the top of the windows close to the windshield. We immediately took it to dealer & showed them the problem. The next week the veh was in & they replaced the seal all along the top of the windshield. We had quite a bit of rain the next few days, no apparent leaks. They suggested we not take it thru car wash, however when we opened the doors, water poured dwn from roof on both sides, soaking the seats and floor as well as the electronics on the door. Took veh back today, dealership tried to see what they could do to fix it but it still leaks when door opens up. My dealership is going to contact engineering at head office to see what can be done. I don't like getting wet, but my main concern is that the water may short out the electronics or the wet floor may end up rusting under the carpet over time. Does anyone else have this problem and if so do they have any solutions?
  • pontiac1pontiac1 Posts: 6
    i have a 2006 convertiable and the trunk will not lock shut. anyone know how to fix this problem?
  • I have a 2004 Sebring convertable. my problem is a top that will go down but will not go back up unassisted. Anyone have any ideas how this can be fixed?
  • I am having a very difficult time finding somebody that will give me an answer on where to have my convertible window fixed. We didn't touch the window, and it simply broke into hundreds of glass pieces in my car.

I'm reluctant to take it to a dealership in San Diego, as ALL the Chrysler dealerships have bad ratings from consumers.

I love this car, but should have done more investigation before purchasing. Does anyone have a suggestion? It has to be glued in, which seems like a bad idea in the first place.
  • my wife has a 2002 lxi with only 33k miles which is a great car.however the top on the right side (where the pin fits into the top of the windshield) sounds like metal hitting metal when ever we are on a bumpy or rough road..destroying an otherwise pleseant experience....I have owned several Chrysler convertibles going back to a 63 valiant..I have never had this problem..is it possible that the rubber seal on top of the windsheild needs replacing or is it some way to bolster that side? thanks
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I had an 1986 Lebaron convertible and the window shattered. I replaced it with a plastic window (no redefogger). I had to go to a custom shop to have the work done. It cost approximately $300 to have it done. The plastic was sewed to the canvas convertible top. Plastic is O.K if you don't need the rear defogger and don't want to worry about a glass window shattering again. Good luck.
  • I have a 1995 Lebaron and had the same problem. The roof would go down and not come back up. You need to replace the convertible relay switch.
  • we have the same issue with our top. Did you ever get an answer?
  • I did not get an answer...but taking a hint from another post...i put some Velcro in the actual cavity (where the pin fits into as weel as a couple of pieces around the outside of that cavity...took the car on the roads around my house where the rattles were most present and guess what..it works.....

now I ( and my b-in -law who also has one) have to find out how to correct where the issue where a portion of the top where it connects to the rear window is pulling away....
  • our vinyl came loose there as well. I super glued it back down and it holds really well. I thought there would be some sort of adj. for the hooks to tighten them up
  • thanks me too but I did not see an adjustment...the black Velcro really works and one can really not see it as an appearance detractor...and , in any case, the absence of noise is worth it..in my case we has some circular pieces of sticky back Velcro the is used to hang pictures and other objects.....I just cut them into halves and placed inside the cavity where the top pin fits..with of course the soft side out....and to ensure that there was not "bumping" from around the pin I placed a couple of pieces on the top of the cavity...works. fine

will try the super glue on the top
  • hello... i am thinking of buying a 2000 jxi convertible. has about 88k on it. i kinda would like a general opinion from owners of the car on how it runs and problems around that milage area. honesty good and bad please would be appreciated. thanks all
  • I have owned 3 of these ..and although the mileage did not exceed 50K on any ( my wife's cars) I have had no problems, major or minor, with any....so in spite of all of the consumer reports, etc critical comments about the Chrysler convertibles...I have had great experiences...I also had a valiant and dodge polara convertible..I have found them the best for the money...I would suggest you have a local trusted mechanic check the car for the obvious big ticket items...
  • annieceanniece Posts: 2
    Whatever you do...don't buy that car. I paid $10,000 for mine with 37,000 miles on it from CarMax in 2008 and I have put $8000.00 in repairs into it and mostly on the front end. I had to replace tie rod ends before 40,000 miles. It just broke down on me in the middle of the interstate...no gas going to car!!! It is a piece of feces and I want to drive it off a cliff!
  • annieceanniece Posts: 2
    I know I cannot be the only one with sooooo many problems with the front end of my car! and freeze plugs! I have replaced 3 freeze plugs and 2 of those were behind the transmission! I had 3 broken motor mounts as well. I have had to replace the tie rod ends, ball joints, tie rods, about 4 times in 8 months. I drive 1.5 miles each way to work on a freeway...not like I'm out racing around. I am a grandmother and not a racer. This car has only 67,000 original miles on it and I started with the front end @ 37,000 miles the 2nd week I had it!! I got it from CarMax who does the "125" point check. Bull----! I have had CarMax redo the paint due to overspray, the tie rod ends and brakes..these are things that were included in the " we don't buy till we check kthe 125 points" category. They give you 30 days to fix problems and after that it is extended warranty.
    Reall!!!!! Is there anyone else who has experience so many issues with Sebring JXI convertable?????
  • Interior wet on the front seats after a car wash:

I have a 2000 Sebring Convertible JX - after taking it to the car wash, the seats are wet on both the front driver's and front passenger side.

Does anyone else have this problem? I thought it might be the convertible seal around the top or the weatherstripping around the windows. The weatherstripping around the windows cost around $400...so if anyone out there figured out this problem.. I would really appreciate letting me know. :confuse:
  • Had noise, went to mechanic, replaced struts and control arms, cost $1000. got good deal, however didn't solve noise. Now they say it is top. What is this noise and how do I fix it? :Thank you in advance.
  • susan_jsusan_j Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

My sister's 2005 Chrysler Convertible Sebring window broke last night when I was in the driver's seat, soon after I hit the little electronic switch, probably because just prior to hitting it, one of the sides of the roof was not unlatched all the way. When I noticed it was not, I stopped the process, yet before anyone knew what was happening, SPLASH - glass rained onto my sister in the back seat. Seems to have been because of a design flaw: the switch should have had a fail safe mechanism to prevent it from starting until both sides were properly unlatched. (Seems the unequal pressure on the glass from having one side of the roof start to go down and the other not is what caused the back window to shatter.)

That said, what to do? Has anyone had a similar situation? Seems this must not be all that uncommon. My hope is that Chrysler will do the right thing and replace the window at no cost to my sister. The closest dealer to her is probably in Los Angeles County.

Thanks for any/all help.

Susan