Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Electrical Problems

Comments

• I just purchased a 2005 Sebring Sedan in really good condition, but a lot of miles - about 143K. When I first turn the car on, the cruise control stays on for about 2 minutes and then turns off and I can't get it to turn back on. If I turn the car off and then back on, I can get it to on again for about 2 minutes before it turns itself off. While it is on, it engages and cruises until it turns off. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what causes this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :cry:
  • I have 2001 Sebring will not start. Battery is full. When the ignition is engaged the lights in the interior dim out, the radio, outside temp display goes dead and starter will not engage (solenoid) The head lights stay bright and do not dim down when the ignition is engaged. I am not sure where to start tracking this issue (ground?) Any help would be great. V-6 2.7
  • it sounds like a bad connection under the hood. Remove negative and positive cable and wirebrush cables and terminals
  • You have a bad ground on the side with the dim headlight. Check all the grounds near the headlight. Also, on some models each headlight is fused individually. If one of the fuses goes out, this could cause the same problem.
  • After getting the car home (towed) and starting to check things out further here is what I have found.

20 amp Fuse keeps blowing for fuel under hood. Things that are non responsive and have no power are: Radio, wipers, washer pump, turn signals. All fuses and relays moved around to test and are good.

This is starting to sound like a famous Chrysler electrical storm.

I am thing this may be a ECM issue, there are 2, but not sure which one is the issue at this point. Thank you Chrysler
  • Not a headlight issue please reread my post. Thank you for response, need help still. see below

After getting the car home (towed) and starting to check things out further here is what I have found.

20 amp Fuse keeps blowing for fuel. Things that are non responsive are: Radio, wipers, washer pump, turn signals. All fuses are good.

This is starting to sound like a famous Chrysler electrical storm.

I am thing this may be a ECM issue I think there are two on it.
  • I own a '98 Sebring Jxi 6-cyl. Conv. that is blowing the 20-amp fuse, #8 Ignition fuel starter, located in the engine compartment fuse box. It only happens when I try to start the car. The fuse does not blow with the key in the ignition position, but when I try to crank the engine over, the fuse blows. I get no error lights and lose the display when the fuse blows. I hear no clicking, no relay engaging because the fuse blows first.
    I disconnected the cable running to the starter but the fuse still blows. The battery is charged. Turning off the radio makes no difference.

Any suggestions what else I can do before I get it towed to a shop??
  • Did you just disconnect the large cable going to the starter? Sounds like a short in the solenoid. If the small wires are still connected the fuse will still blow.Second best guess would be a wire touching the steering colum from the ignition switch under the dash.
  • tmp44tmp44 Posts: 1
    The brake light on the dashboard of my 02 seabring will come on and off intermittently when I am driving. I don't have a problem with my brakes, is there a sensors causing this or another electrical problem? I also had an issue with the airbag light which was fixed by changing a sensor in the seatbelt. Is this a problem with all seabrings?
  • cbringuycbringuy Posts: 1
    Very common problem. The 20a fuse you are referring to covers both the starter and the fuel pump. In this case you probably have a bad starter selenoid. Unfortunately unless you can bring it to a rebuild shop you'll have to pay for a whole starter. This is one of those parts most of the major parts stores don't sell seperately and it is a total pain to change out.
  • nik9nik9 Posts: 1
    i just replaced the stereo in my car and my problem was that the ground wire was not connected right.. so i made my own ground from the deck wire to anything metal inside the deck spot
  • My 2006 Sebring started having electrical issues within its 1st year, but never acted up during service visits at the dealer. I love the car, but sometimes it makes me a little crazy. I have the intermittent airbag light, the phantom seatbelt chime, and willful interior lights.

After an oil change last year, it started stalling while driving down the road on my way home. I immediately went back to the dealer, where they checked it out and it wouldn't repeat (of course!). I have thought this problem may be due to bad gas, but before I can even treat the gas, it stops. If anyone has the answer to any of these questions, please share with me. I was thinking of selling the car, but not with all these problems. Help??!!
  • I own a '96 Sebring Jxi 6-cyl. Conv. that is blowing the 2-amp fuse, Ignition fuel starter, located in the engine compartment fuse box. It only happens when I try to start the car. The fuse does not blow with the key in the ignition position, but when I try to crank the engine over, the fuse blows. I get no error lights and lose the display when the fuse blows. I hear no clicking, no relay engaging because the fuse blows first.

Any suggestions what else I can do before I get it towed to a shop??
  • I have a 2003 LXI sedan.
    I bought the car 4 yrs ago with only 46,000 on it.
    I should have known there would have been issues. When i drove it off the lot the sunroof only worked sometimes, so i took it back to where i got it, they tried to fix it, then after getting it back it still didnt work right so they ended up replacing the motor to the sunroof. then everything was fine for awhile.
    the next thing that went wrong is my drivers seat heater shorted out, then finally stopped working. Then my fog lights stopped working, and then my instrument light stopped all the sudden. So now i cant see how fast i am going at night.
    then the passenger seat heater stopped working, my heater/ac only works on 3 and 4. and now my drivers side back window doesnt roll down. i have bought a new switch and replaced both the back window switch and my main switches. it still doesnt work it has something wrong in the wiring.
    The only thing that hasnt gone wrong with my car so far is that it still runs well, knock on wood.
  • corporalmcorporalm Posts: 2
    Sounds to me like the connection to your battery is bad. If it is a new battery, then check the terminal connectors as well as the connectors near the PCM.
  • corporalmcorporalm Posts: 2
    Check your Brake Fluid level. Sometimes when the brake fluid gets low, the light will come on. If the fluid level is good, check the fluid level sensor.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    My mom has a 2001 Sebring, and as she was driving to see me, the unit stopped working - no radio, no cassette. The clock is illuminated, but the time is stopped at the point where it stopped working. The fuse is not blown - checked that first.

There is a cassette in the tape deck, and wondering whether that got tangled and killed the whole unit, or if that's just coincidence and there might be something else causing that whole unit to malfunction. We checked all of the other electrical components, and the wipers, lights, fan, and everything else is working fine, so it's just isolated to the middle-of-the-dash component. Any ideas before I let her go to the dealership? I'd love to just send her to a cheaper shop, or have my dad fix it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jbuscjbusc Posts: 11
    edited September 2011
    Just purchased a 2001 LXI - Ran started fine for the first day - next morning started blowing the 20amp starter fuse when ever I tried to start car. Had car flatbedded 53 miles to dealer - next day went to pick up car and it blew four 20amp starter fuses before I gave up and drove the 53 miles home without it. Also noticed this time that when the starter fuse blew- the radio also was not functional.
    Nice car in fantastic condition but how do I get the problem diagnosed - I can't afford to pay a mechanic to "throw darts" until he hits on the correct problem. I figure it could be the stater/solenoid, fuel pump, or a short somewhere in the car - has anyone had this same problem and gotten it fixed? Seems like this is a common issue in this model - there must be a fix. Thanks
  • I know this is 2 years later, but did they figure out what the problem with the car was? I bought a 2000 Sebring LXi for my daughter and this started two weeks ago, horn starts blaring at different times. I even removed the fuse for the horn itself and it is still doing it *highly confusing* :confuse:
  • Hi, i have the same problems of you, please if you have any solution tell me, sorry for my english, is so so .
    Thank you