Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Water Leaks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,715
    so it's the rear footwell, you say? Then it pretty much has to be the convertible top or the window seal, I would think.....no sunroof obviously, no leak in the trunk you say, and no water in the front footwell....so that has to be the top or window then, or the door seat perhaps.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Thank you. This worked for me. My 96 Sebring was taking on water but I was unable to find any drain holes... You solved my problem. Thanks again
  • Thanks to all posters, I have a sudden persistent passenger rear footwell leak, like the others. I used a sprinkler to try and determine the origin. My 5 star dealer had no further ideas. (they replaced the top once, are they brain dead?) It continued to leak. My local garage changed my oil and noticed the musty smell, and cleared all the weep holes- several quarts drained. I used an industrial mildewicide (moldstat) diluted, saturating the carpet and pad, drying thoroughly. It is better. I previously owned an 00 Jxi with no problems, I should have kept it.
  • mendimendi Posts: 1
    Hi Terrichick,
    I also have a 98 convertible... wondering exactly where those holes are located... I found just one place today and it is definitely not a place that could be blown out with an air compressor. I had to use a wet vac to suck about 4 inches of water out of the driver's side front and back floorboard today.
    Thanks,
    Mendi
  • I am reading with great interest about the chrysler water leaks in the Sebring Conv. I had recently purchased a 2005 Sebring conv. and I too have a water problem. when it rains hard, the passanger side door fills with water. when someone opens the door after or even during a hard rain, the water comes gushing out all over their feet. I mean a lot of water. I was told by the dealer this is natural. But it does not happen on the driver side door. Yesterday again we had torrential rains and this morning my grandson open the passanger side door and the water just poured out, he knows now to stand back when opening the door, but it also filled my floor well in the passanger side rear foot area. Any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,715
    That certainly doesn't seem normal. I wonder if the "squeegee", the rubber flap at the top of the door, as it meets the window, has deteriorated and is letting water in?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• dycar1dycar1 Posts: 2
    Live on the rainy west coast and have four door sedan sebring love car but feel it's becoming a health risk from mold. Every time it rains the car drivers side floor board and carpet is soaked and my passenger spot behind the driver in the back of the car is filling with water also. Driving me crazy any one have a fix and possibly a drawing of where these plugged drains are .

Surely with all the posted notes Chrysler must have a fix. thanks
  • dycar1dycar1 Posts: 2
    Live on west coast where it rains every day and when it rains my four door sedan Sebring fills with water on the drivers side and the rear spot behind the drivers seats floods out. I am concerned about health risk due to molds and hate the dampness .

Any one have a quick fix, and drawings showing were the drain plugs under the door are.

Any one starting to get sick and considering class action against Chrysler due to mold bye product of the floor mats being so wet all the time .
  • I fully agree with you. It is time for Chrysler to step up to the plate and rectify this problem. After seeing all the posts it is past time. I just took mine for service and my mechanic has referred me to a collision body shop. When i first had the problem, it was only 2 weeks into my purchase. When I brought the car back to the dealer he said it was NORMAL??? I have been driving for more that 50 yrs, and have NEVER had this problem in any car.
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    A bit off topic, but I fought Chrysler on a somewhat similar situation with our Grand Caravan. In my entire driving life, I've never had a major leak at the top of the windshield, but the Grand Caravan's windshield leaked like a sieve at the top seal and/or pinch weld. After several trips to the dealer, and to independent glass shops, it was never fixed. They just reduced the volume of the water leak.
  • draw2draw2 Posts: 1
    I saw a question about Identifying the drain slits. Can anyone suggest a site?
  • rbenderrbender Posts: 30
    Start with opening the door and on the underside pull the rubber seal away from the door. It could be stuck there are drain holes all along the door so be sure to clean all the gunk off the back of the rubber seal or it will stick to the door frame again. (the rubber seal is held on by little pop pin about every 6 inches under the door so be careful and do not damage them but the rubber seal is not glued on) I found that mine was stuck to the door sealing the holes off so the water filled the door and also when the door is closed water would seep over the top of both seals (one on the door and one on the frame of the car) and right into the passenger side. This is more common with the passenger side since the driver side is opened more often!
    Also along the frame there is a seam the drain slots are inside of the seam use a pocket knife to clean them out. On my 2005 there is also a rubber flapper door under the car near the rear wheels (Below the door) just behind the seam. You can reach in and pull junk like leaves etc. out of it to keep the back of the car from flooding. I also found one in the front just behind the front wheels only its much smaller.
    also put the top down straighten a metal clothes hanger out and make a loop at one end (tiny one) so that its not sharp along the rubber seals that run along the out side of the front window there are drains (where the roof meets the window) gently push the hanger into both of them, it will exit where the fender and door meet, that will help keep them both clean , look close cause one it right ontop of the other. make sure you do it to the passenger and driver side
    I have put up a little site with photos of the drain slits, the drain plugs and the flapper door to clean junk out I have also put up photos of fthe drains on the bottom of the door that causes the water fall effect when you open the door.

here is the link:

http://chryslersebringdrainslots.webs.com/
    I have put up a little site with photos of the drain slits, the drain plugs and the flapper door to clean junk out I have also put up photos of fthe drains on the bottom of the door that causes the water fall effect when you open the door.

here is the link:

There are drain holes (slits) behind the rubber strip on the bottom of the door as well as under the body! (Also a flapper door on each side of the car plus 2 drain plugs on each side front and back.
  • Could you give me more info and updated info on your leak issue. We have had a great deal of rain, and I am having the leak in the back seat foot well of my drivers side. You mentioned a clogged drain hole. How would I get to this drain to clear it?
  • This is good to know. How do I get to the rocker panels? I'm guessing if I look in my manuel I will find it, but I would appreciate any info you can give me.
    Go here, and look at the photos it will show you where the flapperr door, plugs, door slot, rocker slots are. I will post pictures also of cleaning the fire wall vents under the wipers.
    http://chryslersebringdrainslots.webs.com/sebringdrainslots.htm
    Go here, and look at the photos it will show you where the flapperr door, plugs, door slot, rocker slots are. I will post pictures also of cleaning the fire wall vents under the wipers. The manual is usless and so is the dealers.
    http://chryslersebringdrainslots.webs.com/sebringdrainslots.htm
    I have to re do the sit the photos are not showing correctly
    :blush: Site is back up with larger pictures. Remove the rear drain plug to see if the well is full, check all of the pictures I put online that show your exactly where the drains are. I also took a picture of how the water gets in the car from the rocker pannel! Also make sure your windows seal and there is no gap between the rear and front window! ;)
    :blush: :shades:
    May help to give the URL
  • dymonddymond Posts: 4
    Got the same problem with my newly bought 2001 sebring coupe, after reading your post, because i also have water on my drivers floor, and my washers do not work. I discover that i was also missing this splitter and the hoses from the washer sprayer under the hood were just hanging there unconnected?? STRANGE so now i will try to fix this problem next, i also have a little water in my trunk in the spare tire well.
    On the trunk leak, check all of the seals to make sure that none are cracked, also check around the tail lights it is very common for them to leak in almost all cars as they get older.
    edited June 2010
    Would you happen to know where this drain hose is located -im having the same problem with mine.? everyday there it is wet? it does leek outside by it must also drain inside. Mine is a 01 sebring coupe 2dr. LXI
    thank you in advance.
    edited June 2010
    Im trying to find the drain hose with is apparently leaking from the A/C into the car also. Can anyone please tell me where this is located? I have a 01-Sebring coupe 2dr
    Did you ever find where the drains are? i have the same problem in 01-sebring coupe 2dr.
  • If anyone figures out how to get to the "kink" in the A/C hose, please post. I, too, have a 2001 LXI - Cpe that is doing this.
  • I am so glad I found these posts. Bought a 98 Sebring Convertible a couple of weeks ago. We have had rain during that time but nothing like the flood I was in last night. Got home looked in the back passenger floorboard and it had about 3 inches of water in it. I was so upset! Then the speakers started popping and I turned the stereo off, but the popping noise kept on then all the stereo lighting went off and now it wont even come back on. My husband seems to think this is a fuse, but I'm worried about an electrical short to the speakers and the stereo. Has anyone else had this happen also?