Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius and Honda Hybrid: Will anyone buy Hybrids??

12345679»

Comments

• hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Posts: 216
    An SUV that got 20 mpg - that would really drag 'em into the showrooms!
  • denniswadedenniswade Posts: 362
    it would serve to shut the mouths of all the tree-hugging hand-wringers who weep at the sight of an Excursion!
  • edchenedchen Posts: 31
    What some people seem to be missing is that no matter what fuel or engine choice becomes popular in the future a hybrid is still necessary. Hybrids can use regenerative braking. Braking costs energy. Hybrids work with gasoline, diesel, fuel cells or whatever is invented. No other technology does. The only concern with hybrids is the safe production and disposal of batteries.
  • chagemanchageman Posts: 1
    I understand that the Honda Battery has a 5 year life, and is quite expensive to replace -- to the tune of thousands of dollars. Does anyone have any sense of what kind of battery life to expect on the Prius, and what it costs to replace? I'm considering buying a Prius, but when I heard about the HOnda, it made me want to reconsider.
  • abbanatabbanat Posts: 57
    The Prius has an 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty for it's battery pack. Yes, if you were to replace that battery right now it would cost several thousand dollars. But by the time the warranty expires, I would expect the cost of a replacement battery to be much cheaper. Also, IIRC, the Toyota battery pack is a set of batteries and if one module fails, that one can be replaced while you continue to use the others. But you may want to contact someone knowledgable at Toyota to confirm that. It makes more sense, however, to replace the whole pack at one time. While the Prius is a great car with some really advanced technology, the incremental cost of that vehicle over another compact will not be covered by the higher fuel economy. That won't happen unless gas prices rise significantly again.
  • I defintley want a hybrid car. The interior of the Prius seems big enough to be usefull for a small family. I want a midsize car that gets 40+ mpg. However the 0-60 time of 12 seconds of the priusis is to slow. I live in overcrowded New Jersey. Traffic is hyper fast and I need a car that can get at least 0-60 in the 9-10 second range tops. Currently my new Saturn L300 is just under 8 seconds. It only gets mid 20's MPG though which is a major drawback. If they can keep working on a Hybrid that can get high 40's or better MPG with decent performance, not the fastest just enough to get by and package it in a midsize car I would defintley break down the door to get one. I hate using so much gas but you need to be able to keep up with traffic and have enough power when you really need it. You need decent acceleration as well as braking to drive well in heavy traffic.
  • abbanatabbanat Posts: 57
    I rode in a Prius with four adults and did not feel like it was underpowered, and I have always owned the most powerful drivetrain within a model lineup. But I understand everybody has different preferences for power. Give the Prius a test drive and see if it doesn't impress you. If not, wait for the Escape (Due in 2003) and/or Durango hybrid. It's encouraging to see people who are open-minded to new technology.
  • sp01sp01 Posts: 81
    Bay Aquarium ( one of the very few organizations to which I belong) is giving away a Prius in a drawing.

I'm debating whether to sell it for a motorcycle or a downpayment on a convertible...

Of course I'm gonna win it...
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    I think are going to be the future of the auto industry. In my opinion, they are the next needed step in the advancement of conserving fossil fuels while exploring alternative sources of energy. I'm all for the development of this type of engine and would like to see it replace the conventional internal conbustion engine across all makes and models in the auto industry. I would be more likely to buy a full size pickup, which I'm desperately missing, using this technology.
  • agtabbyagtabby Posts: 28
    To me the true test is Europe. Gas has cost 5 bucks a gallon there for some time, so if hybrids can make it anywhere, it is here. And the fact is that hydrids have not done that well there.

Europe wisely applies an even-handed approach: by making gas expensive they don't favor any given technology. Thus diesels and small gas powered cars have done very well.

Sadly in the US we often want the pain-free solution, and our government often chooses technological winners and losers. Consider the Arizona "alternative fuel" bill that cost hundreds of millions and ended up subsidizing SUV's (!), consider the idiotic CARB mandate that forces automakers to sell golf carts, consider that Bush recently proposed tax credits for hybrids.

If diesels are too dirty, fine. But let automakers pass emission laws with any technology they choose.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    I don't necessarily agree that Europe's approach is all that wise. If you just stay complacent and not try new technologies, then how would new ideas develop? Besides, fossil fuel has a limited supply as we know, and why not venture on with other technologies to discover a way to be more environmentally friendly and less dependent upon foreign countries? IMHO, I'd say be a leader in discovering a new energy source and not wait for our natural resources to become extinct.
  • ineto6ineto6 Posts: 161
    Well, considering the fact that Europe doesn't have problems with smog like we do. Also, we could say that Europeans are "used" to high gas prices. Yes, diesel-powered cars are doing well in Europe, but they have better performance that your current hybrids.

We can only make changes in steps, not leaps. So get the current crops of vehicles to have better gas mileage while introducing hybrids that can rival average sedans in performance and value. We have several sources of renewable energy so we just have to research ways to make them more efficiently.
  • danadana Posts: 36
    to our Sedans Message Board on the Toyota Prius:

/direct/view/.ee9e6d1

Thanks for being patient as we do a bit of "housekeeping" in News & Views and Happy Posting!

Dana S. Livingston

Manager, Town Hall

Edmunds.com

This discussion has been closed.