Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued IX

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2055....

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII. Please continue
these discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Last and first post

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    that means you have no life of all of us to be there for both?

LOL

- Tim
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    I thought I had a chance for the first - Mr Ryan is too quick - must be the slow day at the job - or is this one of those vacation days you talked about?

Nope, GM hasn't ever made a "crew" cab 1500, that I'm aware of. The Avalanche will be the first. They have made 2500's for a while. Someone may have replaced a door from the junk yard or something and had the 1500 emblem as carry over. The doors should fit both trucks from the same year model.

I had a guy do some yard work for me about 3 months ago. He was driving a 3/4 ton with a bed that had Z71 stickers on it. I had to ask, truck had been in a wreck, the bed came off another truck and carried the Z71 stickers with it. He was going to take them off, but his son liked them so he left them on.

Greg

GReg
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    >Toyota Doublecab definately will outlast the domestics.<

And you have a bridge to sell me too? Toyota's quality being better than anyone else is fiction. They're good, but they're not better.
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    I have seen lots of 1500 crew cabs, however they have been custom trucks. I believe the customizing was done buy a company called Centurion...
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    How come we went from Xlll to lX,isn't that 13 to 9,or am I dumb

Kirk
  • pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    new math, using old roman symbols.

pat
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    yesterday just got tired of following a
    mess of cars so passed all of them.
    Truck speedo was at max. What did notice
    was at that speed front end felt loose
    is this the vibration many are talking
    about. Since had so much trouble with
    tires dealer replaced with Wrangler RT/S
    P255 maybe these tire aren't for higher
    speed.????
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I think that meredith ran out of V's and didn't want to XIIII.....
    my opinion. Don't bother with the guy. Reminds me of a type of individual in high school. We use to call them "squealers". The type that would turn you in to the teachers or counselor. After a while he will go back to ignoring you...par for the course. The people that post on the Yukon site don't have time for it either as you noticed. Business as ususal....

Dean
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Gotta agree with Obyone. Reminds me of the old CB radio days, alligator radio; all mouth and no ears.
    Now it's computers...guess that is why Bill Gates markets Scroll Wheel Mouse.
    matt
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Just some extra characters I had laying around. Gonna give 'em to Front Porch Philosopher
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    ryanbab-the double cab is a crew cab, just Toyota's terminology.

smith53-the 1500 crew cabs were made by Centurion-spoke to a dealer back when they were introduced, said his dealership wouldn't get involved in selling them, rigidity issues with the frame & structure. From what I was told, they start with a regular cab and convert it to a crew cab, would make more sense to start with a crew cab from gm.
  • ganichoganicho Member Posts: 9
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but what a list! Basics: 99 Z71, 5.3. I put a K&N breather on it. Am thinking about exhaust (Flowmaster or Gibson). I have also read that disconnecting the battery before these installs recalibrates the computer. Sounds like bull, but am willing to accept an educated response. Is there any truth to this? Also, what are the opinions on Flowmaster vs. Gibson? Gibson costs more, but supposed to be better.. Any ideas?
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    I was wondering why did you and others change out your shocks, and/or shackles on a Z71, so you can get a better ride? If it is a smooth ride you wanted then why did you buy a Z71? I had a 1995 and 1996 Z71 SB ext cab and I thought the ride was not to bad,I also had a 1999 Tahoe and thought that ride was choppy.Do the new silverado Z71's have a rougher ride than the C/K style? I have not driven a new Z71 silverado yet.
    As far as any problems now I have a 2000 2500 SB ext cab LT 4 door and it has almost 10,000 miles and not one problem.
    Review post #727 in Silverado XIII. The more I drive my truck the more I like the tone.

obyone was on to something also in that there is a spring on the end of the spare tire hanger cable. I think that my cable streched and the spring was allowing my spare tire to bounce slightly leading to the "aftershocks" when going slowly over speed bumps. After installing exhaust system (removed spare to make sure I had plenty of room), and putting spare tire back in place with an extra crank on the winch, lessened the bounciness feeling.
    matthew
    I think the ride on my Z71 is pretty good. But since it is a regular cab model, it has a different feel than the x-cabs which are on a different wheelbase.

The problem with truck shocks, is that the compression damping circuit is valved exactly like the rebound damping circuit. That's a built in compromise...hardly ideal. Consider that impacts in the down direction are damped not only by the shocks, but also by the springs. But in the upward direction, the springs work against the shocks. The ideal shock would have separate damping circuits for compression and rebound. None do at this point.
    To finish...

So you either get a shock that gives firm control for heavy loads, or get a soft shock that rides smooth, but gets mushy when you carry a heavy payload.
  • ganichoganicho Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the response. I'll see who else offers an opinion. You mentioned the fan noise. Have it changed. Mine roared all the time. Had it changed at dealer and now only noise is first few minutes of warm-up. After that, it behaves just right.
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    Quad - what you say makes sense and I haven't done a lot of research about shocks, but Rancho has an adjustable shock, RS9000 I believe. They have 5 settings. You can adjust each shock or they even make a system to adjust them all at once from the cab. I work with a guy who really likes his.

I haven't seen many posts around here about Ranchos though, seems everyone here is going after the Eidlebrocks (sp?) - but I haven't compared any of them.

Greg
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    I had the edelbrocks, returned them (too soft) and got the Rancho RS9000's. Originally had "solid smooth ride" shocks. Now I can have them as soft or firm as I like. Usually have them set on 3 or sometimes 4. Thinking about getting the in cab controls. Kind of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] crawling underneath to change them, have to lay down. They are not gas charged like the eldelbrocks or bilsteins, wish they were. Cost me about $210 for all four. Rancho had a sell on earlier this year, buy 3 get 1 free. Got them at a local 4wd center. they also have a web page.
    If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of the nitrogen charge is to prevent the formation of air bubbles in the fluid. Since this only happens when shocks are getting heated, I don't know how much of a benefit that really is if you are not doing high speed, Ivan Stewart off-roading.

On adjustable shocks, it would be preferable if the adjustment affected only the rebound damping, while not affecting the compression. Or had separate adjustments for compression and rebound. I don't think they are this sophisticated yet.
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    hey, can you post the url for that silverado vs. tundra comparison you had on the web a while back? thanks...

kyle
    muchas gracias...you can ignore the email i sent you a couple days ago... ;)

kyle
    picked up this link at the Pacific Audio Forum. If anyone suffering from vibrations looking for a fix, here it is...

http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/northcarolinabeaters/truck.html
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    That was tough looking at sober. Nuff said!

jerry
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    careyace,

You asked why I replaced my 46mm Tennenco shocks (that comes with the Z71 package). Well the short answer is because their crap! Since the new model (1999 +) all Z71 shocks are Tennencos not Bilsteins like in the C/K pickups. I'm sure that some folks out there like the shocks on there Z71 pickup...great! I'm not the only one driving my truck (as a matter of fact) I really only get to drive my pickup on the weekends. The rest of the time it's used by my wife!!! A smoother ride is very important to her.

Why did I get the Z71 package....because I go off-road a lot. You get the jounce bumper, skid plates & other stuff that I wanted for my truck.

Ovalley,

You like the Rancho 9000's....great , but a pain to switch. Did you look at thre Rancho RSX shock?

I see that you have a 2WD pickup. I think that your use of your truck would be very different from me. My truck is used like a car during the week....then used like a 4WD on the weekends.

ralph coos
    Sorry,
    I've not checked my email in weeks at the aol server listed under my profile. My apologies! Aol application software is on my other 'puter, not installed on this one, and well....no excuses.

I just updated my profile to show the mailbox I do check....motronix@vsdrives.com

quad
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    two people can drive the same truck and have a different opinion of the ride - some like a hard riding truck (isn't that the way trucks are supposed to be?)
    The new Silverados/Sierras just ride harder than my old 70s era pickups, but the handling/performance/fuel economy is much better. Edelbrocks/velvets are some improvement, but still not as comfortable for me as the old trucks. Until GM comes up with a true smooth ride package, you have to do your own mods if you want a comfortable ride. BTW I think all new vehicles ride harder than older similar vehicles because car/truck designers all prefer sporty (touring style) rides - so that's what we get. Like a previous poster informed me - if you want a smooth ride get a used Cadillac (I don't think he meant an Escalade.) (even the old Caddies in good shape cost a small fortune, and I just spent another $.02.)
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    GAUCHO: Consenses here seems to be the Magnaflow.

HEY DEAN: How do like your new exhaust system? IF memory serves me you swapped out your Gibson for a different muffler and that add on item that we discussed earlier. Can't remember the name off hand but wasn't it created by "zumo" (sp)?

TIM: Congrats on the 5 year. Heck, your still a newly wed!

clay
    am still waiting on my Zummo system. Emailed yesterday to find out status and apparently they are getting ready to produce another "batch". I wonder if the results is anything like moonshine...also missed the UPS guy today who had my velvet ride shackles...:(

Dean
    all, i have a '00 Z71 as well. i agree the tenneco's were junk. i just installed bilstein's yesterday, and so far, i've noticed a distinct improvement in ride quality. i DO agree that different people have different appreciations of ride quality. i'm sure my wife will tell you she can't notice a difference. but, i drive it every day, hit the same bumps (and precariously hold my coffee) every day, and noticed a distinct change today. might even leave my coffee in the cup holders on monday... ;)

for info on swapping shocks (the mechanics of it) feel free to shoot me an email. note to self: take the front tires off to change the front shocks...o/w - mega pain in the [non-permissible content removed]! rears you can change without jacking it up or anything. pretty easy - 1 hour for both without any power tools.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Kyle: Did or do you have the rear aftershocks since replacing the Tenneco's? My wife's Tahoe has the Bilstein's and I am really impressed with the response from them. I think they will be my choice when I replace shocks on my '00 Z71 Silverado

I have not seen the results of a poll but I thought the consenses was Flowmaster. What have I missed? I was going to purchase the Flowmaster 70 series this weekend. Now I need to reconsider?
    Tim hey can you go over to the taheo topic 2799 and answer this guys post. i am so frustrated.

Here it is

Question. My 4 wheel drive system "growls" in
    auto mode when turning and going slowly. Service
    manager claims this is due to the front axle always
    turning. Ryanbab claims that ALL 4 wheel systems
    do this, get used to it. Ryanbab is wrong, get
    used to that Ryanbab, it won't be the first or last
    time for you. The Chrysler 4 wheel drive systems
    have no noise. For those familiar with Chrysler
    systems, I am referring to "Selec-Trac",
    "Quadra-Trac" and "Quadra Drive" systems. The
    inexpensive "Command-Trac" system makes the same
    growling type noises. Any help would be
    appreciated!

Am i wrong or does everyones auto 4 wheel make a slight growl? And am i right that this is normal? Could someone please if you know the exact answer as to why this does this go over there and try and explain. But they wont listen but itll make me feel better thanks

Ryan
    I think you did the right thing in getting the Z71 package then,as it would have cost more to buy a 4x4 and add all the other stuff on your truck.I did the same thing I guess,I got the LT package cuz I wanted all the toys that come with the LT,otherwise I would of had to order every other option and would have cost a lot more.

I was not sure I wanted the leather as it is the first time I had leather,but I sure like it now.Does any body else have any thoughts on leather?

I too,like you dont get to drive my truck all week it sits in the garage but that is because I have a company van that I drive all week (its a ford),enough said.

Andrew
    Ryan,
    Yesterday it was raining out here quite heavily(coming up the coast from the South), and I selected Auto-Trac to keep from lighting up the rear tires every time I left a stop light. Even with G-80 positraction, it still gets "dancy" with standing water on the streets. I did notice that there was more chain-gear like noise under these conditions. As the streets dried somewhat I went back to 2WD and the noise subsided.
    I don't know what is normal on these as this is the first time I have operated any of these trucks(rent them from National when I go out of town on business)in AutoTrac for extended periods of time.
    My .02, maybe mine is bad too
    Matthew
    It was "dancy" in the rain? Hmmm i have used mine when it has stormed (autotrac auto 4 wheel) and i had no slippage at all. Only time it growled for me was acceleration. I know when it gets dry and you have the auto on its bad for it. Growl gets louder grips more i guess.

ANDREW - what color leather do you have???

Ryan
    I have the graffite in a black truck. I wanted the gray but my wife likes the darker leather.

Andrew
    Yea thats a dark color. Its a nice color even though many do not like it that dark. I have graphite cloth (didnt want leather wasnt comfortable in it). It holds up very well. My dad has that color in his 2000 blazer (7500 mls) and its almost a yr old already.

Ryan
    I only agreed on graphite cuz it looks dark gray.She did let me get the 2500 so I had to agree on the interior color.The heated seat is sure nice cuz I live in Minnesota.

Andrew
    Cant forget to turn it off though it can get pretty darn hot.

Your Tims new best friend haha

Ryan
  • odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    Where did you order them from? How much and do you have a part# I tried to order them from Napa and they told me they weren't available for the '00 Silvarado which we know is not true. Thanks

Mark
    is the official BFG website for velvets - $167.45 delivered. A previous poster cited http://www.gearedbyunitrax.com/UNITRAX/pages/newproducts.html for a cheaper price($125), but I have not seen anyone post that they actually bought them there.
    odenmeyer: sorry for buttin in
    sorry
    Ryan,
    Sorry my failure to communicate - truck gets dancy in the back end in 2WD on wet only. AutoTrac is really great at "bolting it down" to the road.
    matt
    http://www.velvet-ride.com/html/xf.html

I phone ordered off info on this page. good luck!! I missed the UPS guy yesterday. Be waiting for him for sure today.

Dean
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Z71 is a worthwhile purchas for all the other stuff you get?

You can get the skid plates for $95. And you replace the Z71 shocks. What other equipment do you get for the $250 to make the Z71 a good purchase?

Jounce bumpers? All trucks have them

Stabilizers? Same as standard trucks

Z71 decals? $10 apiece

Mike L
This discussion has been closed.