Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT Cruiser Tires and Wheels

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
Have a problem or question about tires or wheels on your Cruiser? This is the place to talk about it!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• kaywkayw Posts: 2
    At 14,000 miles in my 2001 PT Cruiser I was getting a very discernible shimmy in the steering wheel at plus 65 miles. Took the car to my dealer and had them balance and rotate the tires. At about 16,000 miles the shimmy came back only this time it would start at 45 through 22 mph. This shimmy is so overt you can actually see the steering wheel shake. On the third trip to the dealer on this problem they are now telling me the tires are the problem and they are "out of round". Am a little concerned with the safety issue here and will go see my nearest Goodyear dealer this weekend. In the meantime, has anyone else had a similar problem.
  • duckmanduckman Posts: 2
    I thought my problem was a tire problem but had 3 rims bent- no visible damage except some scraps on on rim
  • I am currently suffering from the shimmy at the 20 to 45 mph range. What was the resolution to your shimmy, or was it ever resolved????
  • I have 2003 PT Cruiser GT (turbo), with aluminum wheel with chrome outside surface. Because of the corrosion on the inside of the wheels I can't get them to balance. The Chrysler service manager said that they need to be replaced. Has this problem occurred with others? Did you find a remedy without replacing the wheels??
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I don't know if this will help, but we just got a new 2006 PT Cruiser, base model, and it is costing us less than $700 to get aluminum wheels and new tires from Tire Rack ( www.tirerack.com ). The aluminum wheels are actually light weight, too. We also stuck with 15 inch size to keep the weight down, but 16's and 17's are available too. Sounds like it might be time to just make a replacement. Compare the price with your dealer.
  • redturboboyredturboboy Posts: 25
    I had a 2001 that also shimmied. The tire pressure was critical, the shimmy got worse if the pressure was low. Several people have compained about 2001's bad tires. Try higher pressure but you will probably have to get new tires.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    If the wheels are so badly corroded that they cannot use rim mounted balancing weights on them, you should not be driving the car with these wheels on! I have hard time imagining something like this though, especially with aluminum wheels. There are other balancing weights, such as stick-on weights, which do not go on the rim, but stick on the flat part of wheel.
  • I have a 2003 PT Cruiser also. Beginning this summer my tires started losing air. I am topping up every week or two. Last week while out of town I got a flat. The tire dealer told me the internal corrosion caused by the aluminum wheels was breaking the seal and deteriorating my tires. He told me this is a problem he has seen several times. What is Chrysler doing about it? Replacing 4 wheels is an expense I could do without.
  • I too have the 2003 pt cruiser and loss of air is common. They are also likely to pickup more nails and debris as well. I was told by a tire dealer to go with a wider thicker tire. These goodyears may have 39000+ miles on them, but they are wearing thin and air escapes easier.
  • What is the best value to price tire I should get to replace the OEM tires for a 2003 PT Touring Edition? The tire size is 255/55R16. The OEM is a Goodyear tire. At Tirerack.com I was looking at the Kumha tires that sells for $64 each and it has a 4 out of 5 star rating. What do you folks think about this tire? Any other brands and model I should consider? I really want to keep the price as low as possible without sacrificing too much on the quality.
  • itsblueitsblue Posts: 1
    I had all 4 tires on my PT changed out at Sams club. Now the plastic hubcaps are all making a pooping noise as I drive. It sounds like horse hooves. The faster I drive the faster the popping sound. Anyone experience this problem.
  • buroskyburosky Posts: 89
    Are you sure the sound is coming from the hubcaps? That sounds a little odd. How long ago did you have the tires changed? If it has been a while and you are just noticing the sound, check the tire itself. The tire maybe cupping (also known as scalloping). In certain cases, this makes a similar sound. Search the internet to see examples in case you are not familiar with how this looks. I'd try to explain but it is better to see the pictures yourself. Hope this helps!
  • wisslerwissler Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 vanilla PT Cruiser with not quite 19,000 miles on it, and this morning I discovered an egg-sized bulge on one of my original-equipment Goodyear sidewalls. Has anybody else had a similar experience? This the first time anything like this has happened to me. Because it's Sunday, my dealer and all the local Goodyear dealers are closed so I'm left to ponder....
  • I have a 2003 PT....bought it used at CarMax. Noticed clicking and popping, so I to it back in to have it looked at. They told me it was the hubcaps. I bought aftermarket hubcaps....same thing....what gives?!? Anyone have a solution? BTW..I took the hubcaps off.....NO noise. :confuse:
  • nfrostnfrost Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 PT limited which over the last 3 months has had problems with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires fitted. First i got the steering wooble which i thought was a balance problem, but the local goodyear dealer diagnosed a tread seperation and so i got a new one. Luckily Goodyear give a credit by pro-rating the remaining tread. This then happened again with another different tire and the same cure. Then this last week a third tire started giving off bad vibrations. When i stopped it was easy to see the problem, a huge bulge in the tire wall about the size of a grapefruit. The local dealer again gave me a Goodyear credit on the remaing tread. So now i have 3 new tires and i'm worried about the remaining one, so i called Goodyear and they have agreed to replace the last tire but again only giving me a credit on the remaining tread.
    Thats a good offer, but i'm a little annoyed with Goodyear, i was expecting them to maybe give me the forth tire for free considering the problems i have encountered.
    For the record all 4 tires had the same DOT number, so i assume they are from the same batch.
    Has anyone else suffered this problem???
  • I'm having the same problem! The folks at Just Tires say this corrosion is well known to them on PT Cruisers. I have had rim leaks due to corrosion on my 2002 PT three times in the past year. Luckily I bought a cheap warranty from Just Tires and so they repair my wheels for free. But Chrysler should RECALL these wheels already!
  • I have a 2005 PT Touring Edition 2.4 Turbo. It came with 205/55R16 Eagle LS tires. After about 25,000 miles they have less than 1/2 the tread remaining. They seemed ok for the first 10,000 but after that the dry pavement traction has degraded; they slip, chirp and spin in place way to easily. Wet weather performance is becoming worrisome. Check this site for lots of helpful tire reviews.
    http://www.1010tires.com/TireReviews/Goodyear_Eagle_LS_tire_reviews14.html

Based on so many positive reviews for them, I will probably buy Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds in the near future. A second choice might be theYokohama Avid TRZ.
  • Sorry to hear your tire problems. Buy remember my posting was about the damned chromed WHEELS that are causing constant tire-pressure leaks because they corrode all the time!
  • This happened to me after replacying the wheels on my 05 GT cruiser (they only had 5K on them). At any rate, I hit a rather large pothole on the NYS thruway and this bulge renders the tire a danger and must be replaced. I was told that the tension break could cause a blow out.
  • I too have tires with egg shaped lumps and one with a slit on the sidewall, and the steering wheel vibrations.
    Chrysler/goodyear need to recall the tires and wheels. I suppose they are just waiting for someone to be ..well..in all essence murdered by the people at goodyear.