Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT Cruiser Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• I'LL TELL YOU I JUST BOUGHT A PT 2007 WITH ONLY 27,800 MI ON IT THIS WEEK MARCH 20,08 AND THE SAME THING HERE BUT WORSE!! I HAD IT ONE WEEK AND I GO OUT IN THE MORNING SOMEWHERE COME BACK AND IT WONT TURN OVER ITS LIKE NOTHING!! LIKE ITS COMPLETELY DEAD!! IT HAPPENED AGAIN TODAY BUT THIS TIME WHEN I TRIED TO START IT THE 2ND TIME AROUND IT DID SOMETHING FUNNY,IT STARTED ALL MESSED UP LIKE THE WHOLE CAR WAS JWERKING THE MOTOR WAS WEAK AND MADE A NASTY BANGIN NOISES THE CAR WAS LIKE AN EARTHQUAKE!! JUMPIN UP AND DOWN THE ENGINE WAS NOT RUNNING WELL,SO I SHUT IT OFF TRIED TO START IT AGAIN,DID THE SAME THING,SO I SAT THERE 5 MIN RESTARTED IT ,IT THEN STARTED LIKE NEW LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED BACK TO NORMAL? ITS AT THE DEALERSHIP THEY DID ALL THE TESTS DIAGNOSTIC IT ALL CAME BACK NORMAL? THEY TEST DROVE IT ,WAS OK? IT DONT HAPPEN EVERYDAY BUT IN THE MORNING AFTER IM SOMEWHERE IT'LL DO IT ONCE IN A WHILE? I KNOW THIS IS NOT NORMAL I GOT SCREWED BY KIA CAUSE THEY SOLD ME THE PT CRUISER AND CHRYSLER HAS THE WARRENTY BUT CHRYSLER WONT EVEN GIVE ME A RENTAL CAR SO IM IN THE COLD!! YES THE LIGHTS AND GAGES DO RESPOND LIKE YOU SAID BUT MY CAR ACTS LIKE IT HAS SERIOUSE BAD GAS IN IT OR SOMETHING?LOL :mad:
  • rox2rox2 Posts: 2
    I am having the exact problem with my 2001 Limited. I just paid my Chrysler dealer to tell me what the problem IS NOT. Fuses, relay, light switch. We had already relplace all of these. So we knew that! Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
  • hzleyeshzleyes Posts: 2
    Our problem was when the car was in a wreck and they replaced the front headlight they pinched the wire harness for the lights and over time it corrouted and caused a short which effected the dash lights and no rear lights
  • rox2rox2 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.

Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.
  • moeglymoegly Posts: 1
    I don't care about credentials, it just means you studied a little more, I just want someone to help with my freaking problem. This car is all I own and it has to run right. The brake lights and running lights just stopped working and it sucks. Can't afford to go to dealership. I am too danged poor. So if anyone with or without credentials can help, plz do so. And for the one who has the credentials, he is doing a good thing so back off for a bit.
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Without knowing more details, the first thing I'd recommend checking are the fuses. The ones pertaining to the lights that are not working should be listed on the inside of the fuse box cover, if you don't have your owner's manual available.
  • It sounds like it could be the timing belt. How many miles do you have on the car? Recommended miles to replace the Timing Belt and Water Pump is about 100,000 miles. I just had my belt and water pump (recommend changing both at the same time due to cost) and it ran me about $475.00.
  • drounds1drounds1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 PT Crusier Limited model that after 90k miles the check engine light keeps coming on. First it was for the oxygen sensors. These were replaced. The next day the check engine light comes on for the same issue. This time the computer was reset again. The next day the light is on again, this time for a power steering switch. The mechanic said this was a very rare issue. It was reset and a week later the light is on again. My question is, does the check engine light come on for the 90k mile service? Thanks.
  • ptinkptink Posts: 13
    just wanted to put a warning out there, i have read alot of this post and have seen some of you with the same problems i had with my 2003 pt it stated running hot and they changed the water pump 850.00 then 2 days later it ran hot again changed thermastat 85.00 2 days later 109.00 for a sensor and to flush the radiartor then SURPRIZES 1 day later they can't believe it but the head is cracked all this from a chysler dealership you would have thought they knew what they where doing...
    well i am a single mom and my mother before she passed bought me this car, paid cash and so i had no car notes. the dealer said all he could give me was a down payment on a used car .... and i only had the choice of 1 (that right ONE car) on the whole lot well long story short i need a car i took it now i know am i trouble it's a 2005 kia sadona van 13600.00 / 325.00 a month hope this does not happen to you .... :cry:
    it's a 2005 kia sadona van 13600.00 / 325.00 a month

Hmm...I just checked the retail value of a Sedona LX in excellent condition. With the basic trim and 45,000 miles on the odometer it has a Blue Book retail value of $12,180. If you have the higher end model (Sedona EX) it's worth $13,870.

Anyway, that price for replacing the water pump sounds like typical dealer service department high prices. Call around next time to some of the independent repair shops and have them give you a quote.

I know it's too late to do anything about your Cruiser repairs but you may have something go wrong with a vehicle later.
  • ptinkptink Posts: 13
    thanks i did call around ALOT everyone said 750.00 to 850.00 just in labor!!!!!
    something to do with it being in with the timing belt....
    anyway the kia does have all the bells and whisles even a DVD player that doesn't work.... only 48,000 miles. i just hated being put in a spot where i had no choice and got my self in debt, they would not just buy my car and i had no way to move it and know one to buy it as is and BAM i am in a car i really can not afford..... oh well live and learn thanks for your help
    thanks i did call around ALOT everyone said 750.00 to 850.00 just in labor!!!!!
    something to do with it being in with the timing belt....

After I read your reply I searched my service manual CD for our 03 Cruiser to see what all the fuss was about to replace a water pump on it.

My goodness. On our turbo model it involves removing the strut shock tower, depressurizing and removing various A/C lines, upper and lower timing belt covers, timing belt, cam sprockets and more just to get to the water pump. Then there are issues with getting the timing marks lined up afterwards, etc.

All I can say is that I hope it never has to be replaced. I usually like to tinker with my own basic repairs but I'm not sure I'd want tackle this one, even at $850 in labor savings.
  • ptnurseptnurse Posts: 2
    I had the exact same thing happen to me twice!! And it has happened to my mother twice as well. She has an '04 Touring and I have an '06 Touring. If you ever find out what it is, let me know!! I will do the same!! I take it in and they tell me there is nothing wrong... well I was in today and guess what? The car needs a whole new engine! The radiator overheated and it was down 2 L of oil and I get my oil changes every 3000 km!! I baby my car. It has 48,000 km on it total... I even thought that shaking might have been the fuel injectors, but 3 days after i had them cleaned, it shook like an earthquake..... I hope I didnt buy a lemon!
  • dakota05dakota05 Posts: 1
    I have A 2002 pt cruiser , The timing belt has broke and the mechanic quoted A price of $1400.00 and that is if they don't have to have the head machined !

I am hoping the 2.4 is A freewheeling engine which would mean A couple of things ,
    first , their is A space between the piston and the valves eliminating the possibilty of damaging the valves and or pistons . second , the mechanic is trying to rip me off !

But I don't know if this is A freewheeling engine so I thought I would ask here !

Thanks
  • shaewshaew Posts: 1
    HELLO.
    i'm new this site but i need help trying fix the problems with my car ..i have a 2005 pt cruiser and the code that i get is 301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire ..how do i fix that problem?? please help
    i have a 2005 pt cruiser and the code that i get is 301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire ..how do i fix that problem??

It could be caused by several things. Try replacing the less expensive things first and go from there. Start with new plugs, then new plug wires, then a new coil pack if either of the first two suggestions doesn't fix it.
  • I had the same problem just after I finally found the fog lights. Not looking for the fog lights slowed the process down, of course.

Once I started using them, the Fog lights would come on by themselves and then not turn off. My solution was to pull the fuse for the fog Lights. On my '01 the only thing on that circuit is the for lights.

Paperweight
  • Well, I finally gave in and had my multi function switch replaced to the tune of $150.00. After about a week of leaving the left turn signal on after I exited the vehicle, it started to stay on again. It would go off if I applied pressure on the left turn signal lever, so I hooked a bungee cord to the lever and the seat frame and it would stay off. It took me 2 days to realize that this was a bizzarre and ridiculous solution. I feel that Chrysler should have replaced the switch at no cost to me, but you can guess what happened on that request. I recently replaced a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica with a 2008 Hyundai Sonata because of the bad gas mileage (12 MPG). My thought is that Chrysler should have paid for the replacement of the multi function switch on the Cruiser to keep the goodwill of their good customers, I don't think that Chrysler will be in business much longer (Daimler-Benz did a kiss off as I am doing) as their product is deteriorating. I won't buy another Chrysler product ever again.
    Sorry to hear that you've had more than your fair share of problems with Chryslers.

I currently own two Chryslers and a Dodge. My wife and I are quite happy with all three of them.
  • aussieptaussiept Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 PT which has a voltage regulator problem in the on board computer system.Chrysler answer is to replace computer for about $3000 Aus.There
    has to be a cheaper option.Can any parts of the computer be bypassed ?A voltage regulator would normally be a $100 Aus. expense.Surely someone else has had to solve this one.