Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT Cruiser Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• I don't know yet. My wife has a 2001 with 181,000 miles on it. We use about 1/4th of a quart in 5000 miles at this time.
  • I'm new to this but from what I've seen there's alot of help here so I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I have an suv and really need to get rid of it to save some on gas and was told that pt cruisers were good on gas but the more I see about the transmission and engine problems I'm kinda rethinking it. I want a manual transmission but am I crazy? Should I look for something else?
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    There are probably better choices if your main reason for replacing your SUV is to save on gas. Our family has a GT Cruiser (the turbo version) and my wife gets around 19-20 mpg as a daily driver - mostly stop and go traffic. I've gotten 26 mpg on the highway with the cruise set on 70 mph. I've read where owners have reported much less and still others who say theirs is much better. The 2008 is rated 21 city / 26 hwy and I'm sure that's with the basic engine and 5-speed manual trans.

If you don't need the space of an SUV the Dodge Caliber is rated 24 city / 29 hwy and the 2008 EPA estimates are fairly close than what those stickers used to be in previous years.

If you want something a bit larger while still getting decent fuel economy there's the Jeep Patriot or the Jeep Compass, both rated at 23 city / 28 hwy.

As far as the transmission problems, you generally won't see anyone take the time to come here and post that their transmission is working fine and that they haven't had any problems with their Cruiser. This is a help forum to share ideas and look for advice, so people who are experiencing problems with their vehicles are more likely to be found here. Sort of like walking into a hospital and wondering why there are so many sick people there. :D
  • ssweattssweatt Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 pt and i've kept up with all of maintance i just got a 90k mile service about 4 months ago and all of the computer upgrades amounting in about $4,000 worth of work just to have my timing belt break and cost me more money my check engine light never came until the belt broke and i'm wondering if there was another recall or something cause this crazy i'm spending soooo much money on a car that i bought brand new i have been a loyal chrysler/plymouth/dodge customer for at least 20 + years just to get let down like this is unheard of. i truly believe that americans should buy american cars but not if they are going to end up paying in repairs what they paid for the car.
    :mad: :sick: :(
  • ptuserptuser Posts: 2
    I have to tell everyone that the problem was solved first by visiting Auto Zone for a free diagnostics check which read out a bad power steering switch. I bought one there and took it to the local mechanic who installed it while I was at work. Thanks everyone.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Did you read your owner's manual? I have a 2006 Caravan with the same 4 cylinder engine. In my owner's manual, replacement of the timing belt is required at 90k miles. I've got 30k miles on the Caravan. No problems so far (knock on wood).
  • jfuchsjfuchs Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 touring edition with only 40,000 miles on it.
    During my most recent oil change they told me that I had a blown head gasket. What I want to know is whether this is normal, has anyone else had this issue?

To me, with only 40k miles I would not expect a head gasket to go bad, too soon. And I certainly don't want to pay the 800 to 1000 that the dealership wants to change it!
    During my most recent oil change they told me that I had a blown head gasket. What I want to know is whether this is normal, has anyone else had this issue?

My wife has an 03 Cruiser with nearly double those miles and she's never had any problems with the head gasket. I don't think a blown head gasket at 40k miles is normal in any car.
  • dlnielsendlnielsen Posts: 1
    OK, about to pull my hair out. I have an 03 PT GT with about 90K miles. About 2 months ago, I was driving down the highway when suddenly the car jerked in my hands and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. The car had gone dead and then kicked back over because I was at speed. The car did the same thing later, in a parking lot and did not kick back over because I was going too slow. Over the ensuing period, this has happened a few more times, each time with the "dead" period, the time when there is ABSOLUTELY no electrical working in the car, no lights, no radio, not even emergency flashers, has increased. Today it was about 5 minutes twice and once it kicked right back over as I was on the freeway. To add to this, we are now having the fog light problem too. I have found if I turn off the ignition and then turn on a turn signal, the fog lights turn off. Anyone have any ideas??? :mad: :cry: :sick:
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    How did they come to this conclusion? Some of the symptoms of a blown head gasket are: engine over heats; mixture of coolant and oil in the cooling system; mixture of oil and coolant in the engine oil; or visible leaks where the engine block joins the cylinder head. If any of these conditins are present, then you MAY have a blown head gasket. Good luck.
  • myerstrmnmyerstrmn Posts: 1
    Experienced this problem when I first purchased my 2001 PT Limited. Would only happen when I used the Brights. Ended up being a loose body ground wire in the engine compartment. Dealer fixed this under warranty.
  • brains1brains1 Posts: 1
    Check engine light stays on. Checked the gas cap, put oil in yesterday, where do I find the code to tell me what the problem is. I have a 2006 pt
    where do I find the code to tell me what the problem is.

Auto parts stores such as AutoZone used to scan your CEL for free in order to get your business. It's been a few years since I've had this done by them but I believe they still offer the free service.
  • Hi,

I have a 2005 manual PT Cruiser with 25K. Sometimes when I downshift, it won't accelerate. I can push the gas pedal all the way in and nothing. Any ideas why it would do this?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • bspeeblesbspeebles Posts: 1
    I have an 03 pt with 2.4 non-turbo and it seems to hesitate or surge while shifting from first to second or at least its most noticeable at that time. What can i do to fix this?
  • cadi89cadi89 Posts: 1
    I have an 04' PT cruiser GT model. Last year I had a battery problem, car wouldn't start. The battery top and cables were all corroded.The dealership replace battery under warrantee and coated connectors. Today I go to start my car..... same problem! Is there anyone out there that has had this problem?
  • jaball0jaball0 Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 PT Cruiser with an intermittent problem. About 2 or 3 times/week I lose all power. The car does not die and no warning lights are illuminated. The car continues to run but very rough. The accelerator ceases to function. Then after 1 to 2 minutes the car regains power. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times but they find nothing wrong with it. Apparently there are no error codes during the diagnostic. Last week this happened and I came close to being rear-ended by a tractor trailer. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what is the cause?
  • jabo3940jabo3940 Posts: 1
    we have a 2007 pt cruiser.bought it in febuary08 with 32000 miles on it.now it has 37000 miles.two weeks ago it started pushing the coolant into the plastic jug,but it wont recover it,then of course it starts spitting it out of the jug.after it pushes enough out of the radiator into the jug,of course,it tries to run hot.i changed the thermostat just hoping that was the problem...it wasnt.i'm all but positive its the head gasket leaking.after it sits for a short time,when you first start it up,it misses for about 10 seconds.kinda like it has a little water on the top of the pistons,which would be a head gasket.has anyone else had this problem?
  • pt_nickpt_nick Posts: 3
    :confuse: Hello, I have an 01 pt and i recently ran into a problem...the odometer flashes 'no fuse' however every fuse in the car and under the hood is there and not blown. Also included in this problem is the pwr locks, pwr mirrors, keyless entry, interior lights, radio and trip odometer do not work. Other functions still work like pwr windows, sunroof, pwr seats, dash lights and head lights. Any one run into this before or have any ideas on how to fix the problem. :confuse:
    Try the link shown below for a list of discussions on this and possible solutions. Unfortunately, I'm at work and the company firewall prevents me from getting past Google and finding the actual answer or I would post it for you.

PT Cruiser No Fuse