Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Chevrolet HHR

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
Have an idea on how to make future models of the HHR even better? This is the place to post your ideas!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    give me a turbo...use the same engine in the Solstice GXP.......
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Seem like more power is a common request :P

We like it to GO!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I would really like to see a 5/6 speed automatic or CVT tranny to replace the outdated 4 speed.
  • ttwebttweb Posts: 17
    I have a 36" inseam. I can handle the legroom in the PT Cruiser but not in the HHR. I would love to own a Manual transmission HHR.
    Anyone know if the seat can be moved back some?
    Tom
  • PUT A DIESEL IN THAT PUPPY SO I CAN HUAL MY BIKE TO DAYTONA FROM PITTSBURGH AN GET EVEN BETTER MILEAGE,THEY HAVE DIESEL'S IN EUROPE BIG TIME,NOW IT'S TIME TO BRING THEM HERE
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I would like to see a 6 speed automatic transmission with a more powerfull engine. Before I purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry, I took the "top of the line" HHR out on a test drive. It did not have enough power to get into highway traffic safely. I was VERY disappointed with the performance of the vehicle. From an appearance point of view, this vehicle should have twin exhausts on it's rear, and maybe a little sound from the exhaust system. (Something to go along with it's image!) In addition, I would like to see more comfortable seats.
    Chevrolet has a "money maker" with this vehicle, if they change a few things. A diesel engine might be a good option!
    Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    My car was in the body shop so i got an 07 HHR for a rental...Lots to like...but it needs the following:

200-220 hpr or a diesel would be nice
    Interior is to cheap and plastic...
    AWD would be awesome...
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    Go over to the 07 Camry forum if you want to hear some real horror stories!
  • gottalinkgottalink Posts: 1
    I bought the first HHR that came into the dealership I worked in. It has been a good, and stable vehicle. Mine is an LS with the automatic 2.2 Litre. Power is adequate, fuel economy is outstanding (32 + mpg on trips). It is no hot rod, but it has a hundred mile per hour stereo ( the Pioneer), and cruise. I'm not a greeny weeny, but I appreciate not spending too much on fuel. I think a six speed automatic might be the best improvement, if it can be made as dependable as the current 4 speed.The extra gears might make speeds up hill easier, less reving, quieter downshifts.
    Power seats might be a good option too. I like the idea of the panel delivery too.
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    Hey gottalink, I've ave about 26 MPG over the 1.5 years I've had the 2.4L automatic....what would you say you've averaged with the 2.2L auto since you first bought it?
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    "I would like to see a 6 speed automatic transmission with a more powerfull engine. Before I purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry, I took the "top of the line" HHR out on a test drive. It did not have enough power to get into highway traffic safely. I was VERY disappointed with the performance of the vehicle. From an appearance point of view, this vehicle should have twin exhausts on it's rear, and maybe a little sound from the exhaust system. (Something to go along with it's image!) In addition, I would like to see more comfortable seats."

Sorry, I have driven many different cars during my lifetime including several HHR's and this vehicle even with the standard 2.2 L engine has more than enough power. If fact my 1988 Pontiac Lemans(Daewoo) with its 74 hp was more than enough on the freeway. I usually out accelerated other drivers from the toll both into the main lane. Merging a vehicle into traffic for a good driver isn't about how fast your car well accelerate, its about being aware of the traffic and picking the right time and spot to get in. The HHR's quickness is no different than most any car with similar equipt engines. As far as plastic goes this vehicle has top quality plastic and really don't you think plastic comments are way over-rated. Who goes into their vehicle and runs their hands or face on plastic? Not meaning to be harsh but I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. Love the seats.

It's been a rumor since the fall of 2006 that the HHR will get a more powerful engine for those speed freaks, and it was approved a couple months ago. Later this year the HHR will get a 260 HP 2.0 L Turbo Charged engine.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    QUOTE "As far as plastic goes this vehicle has top quality plastic and really don't you think plastic comments are way over-rated. Who goes into their vehicle and runs their hands or face on plastic? Not meaning to be harsh but I don't think you are comparing apples to apples."

Sorry, But when i rented an HHR back a month ago, i was disapointed at the low rent quality of the plastic. The extra glove box/storage center on the top of the dash being a good example..the lid on this fit very poorly because of the cheap plastic and the whole top area of the dash was also cheap. I expect better of GM. It dosen't have to be Audi quality, but it sure needs to be much better.It was a major turnoff for me...to each his own as they say.

As for the engines, when i have to have the gas petal floored to get up some of the hills in my area,and it barely can get to the posted speed limit...sorry it needs 200 hpr or more. The upcoming 260 hpr sounds nice.
    Also the current larger engine requires premium gas i'm told!!?!? Whats up with that?

Again just MY opinion. Thats why GM is struggling...Underpowered engines and cheap plastic.
    I still would like to buy one, but i'm waiting to see what improvements they make.
    "As for the engines, when i have to have the gas petal floored to get up some of the hills in my area,and it barely can get to the posted speed limit...sorry it needs 200 hpr or more."

It's an economy 4-cylinder compact car. People who need more or have large hills to worry about usually get cars with 6-cylinder engines. This vehicle like the PT Cruiser was only meant to have a 4 banger. Even though the original 1939 Heritage High Roof model for which it received its styling from had an 8-cylinder, that doesn't mean that this one should go the same route. That vehicle was much larger. There have been a few people who have customized these HHR's with 8-cylinder engines so that is not out-of-the-question.
  • donnmandonnman Posts: 2
    My suggestions are in regard to comfort. First I hate that the locks are of the stick variety and located right where I rest my arm with the window open.

Another issue I hate is the location of the auto window buttons....Put them back on the door where they should be.

I saw mention earlier of radiator problems. Well let me join the list of having to have this replaced. The dealership also told me that is wasnt covered under warranty as it "appeared" to be damage caused by a rock. GM definitly has a design flaw here as the radiator is completely exposed to this type of damage.
    The window controls are shared with the PT Cruiser and a couple other cars. I would prefer the door as well but some people say they have gotten used to it.

I would think that there should be a screen guard out for that radiator by now. At the very least it should be offered as an option.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    I had a PT for a rental car and could not get use to the center counsel mounted window buttons!
  • johntaiyujohntaiyu Posts: 2
    telescoping steering wheel so that I don't have to trade leg room for arm stretch.....raise the middle armrests about 4 inches....and air deflecters in the rear to keep the dust off the back hatch....
  • I've only had my 2007 HHR for a month but I have one suggestion. I find when backing I have almost no visability behind the car. I would like to have sometype of backing assist device added to the car. The type that beep when you are near something or maybe the camera type devices they are advertising.

Does the lack of visabily and blind spots bother anyone else?
    With these types of vehicles and vans, its best to get used to using the side mirrors.
  • THE NEW SS OPTION WILL BE SUCH AN IMPROVMENT BUT GM BETTER NOT DROP THE BALL BY NOT OFFERING THE SS WITH THE PANEL BODY.I'M READY TO BUY NOW IF THEY MAKE THIS WINNER AVAILABLE.I HAVE AN SSR NOW AND THE SS PANEL WOULD LOOK GREAT PARKED NEXT TO IT.BRING IT TO THE PEOPLE AND IT WILL SELL BIG TIME.PLEASE DON'T GET WHIMPY GM ;JUST DO IT.