Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HHR Transmission Questions

2»

Comments

• I have just purchased our 2007 2.4l HHR and we adore this car! Hearing the same defect car after car IS scaring me though!!! If I am not mistaken though, just about every car has its problems.
    My questions are 1) I heard something on this forum avout our radiators getting holes punched in them easily and some kind of cover we can buy to prevent this!? Now I ccant find where I read that. Can anyone help me with that?

2) A neighbor told me that CHevy makes a 100,000 mile spark plug!! I told him he was full of it and he said if I dont believe him to call the company and ask. Well wouldnt that be somewhere in the manual if it were true? Has anyone else heard of such a thing!?

3) Mu BIGGEST complaint is Im not getting near the gas milage as everyone else in this forum. Im getting 18-20 at BEST in city, and have never seen better than 26 on the highway. Could something be wrong with MY HHR? We JUST bought it 3 weeks or so ago so I want to be sure while it is still "new" off the lot.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help they can give us. We are proud of our car and if we can fix this gas problem will be HHr owners for a long time to come :shades: .

Sincerly
    Mrs H
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I replied to your mileage issue under the mileage catagory along with comments about 100,000 mile plugs that are produced by a couple companies.
  • I finally took my HHR in for the T/C light problem. IT'S FIXED!!!

I was having it more often. First the traction control light, later, the check engine light, then no T/c light, later no engine light, then the whole thing would start over.

The code was Exhaust Cam Actuator. They replaced it for $141, [I paid $100 deductable] and it's been a week with no problems. Since it was happening every day, I believe it's fixed!

Thanks guys! :D
  • I recently experienced the same problem.
    I did this, I found that the tire pressure was not the same in all tires, I put them all to 40# and haven't had the TC light come back on and it shifts fine again. The check engine light is still on but have been told that it must be reset??? I will take it in and have it checked out but expect that I will be told that nothings wrong. The parts store had a device to reset lights, wanted $75 for it, don.t think it,s worth it.
    Some parts stores will do it free to sell you replacement parts, will check this out also.
  • After dealing with this problem for several months, and thinking it was solved, only to have it return within a few short days, it has now been gone for almost four months. The fix I reported in my previous post, that being 'Exhaust Cam Actuator' did the trick.
    :shades:
  • hhrsshhrss Posts: 1
    I am having a recurring problem moving my automatic transmission shift lever from Park to any other gear. I live in Arizona and my car is a 2009 HHR SS. This problem just started when the weather has turned colder (it was 39 this morning and it took me over 30 minutes to be able to drive the car). I read the instructions in the owners manual and followed them which eventually seems to work but not always.
    Is this a weather-related issue (cold vs warm) or something else? I never had a problem in weather above 75 way up to 110.

I have 9800 miles on HHR. Is there something the dealer can do to help? I have not been to the dealer yet.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,269
    Hhmm I don't think it would be weather related. Are you using the overide thing to get it to work? If so it may be an issue with Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock. Are you parking on any kind of incline without using the parking brake before putting into park (could cause pawl in tranny to be sorta locked)?
  • jodilynmjodilynm Posts: 1
    What was wrong with your car? I have an 06 LT2 with 53k also and it just started the other day. it always happens when I drive over the same bumps in the road...weird.
  • jesusjrjesusjr Posts: 1
    Once I have my 2006 HHR's AC on for about 10-20 minutes, whenever the automatic transmission shifts gears, there is a kick when shifting to another gear. The strongest kick is from 1st to 2nd. When I turn my car off for a while and restart my car, often the problem goes. Often it stays. I took it to the dealership and they just drove it a while and did not find a problem. I'm going to Baltimore (9 hours away) in about 4 days and do not want to run into a problem. Thank you for your valued assistance!!!!!!!!
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,269
    On my 06 and at least a few others there was an issue related to A/C being overcharged with refrigerant. Mine is manual tranny, but what I noticed was very noticeable sudden engine performance degradation when A/C was on max (perhaps I had it on recirc also). This would happen after it had been on for a period of time. I suggested it might be an overfill when I took it to dealer and they did whatever they do and hasn't returned since.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    Hello Jesusir,
    Have you taken your vehicle to a different dealership for a second opinion? Do you have any codes pop up when your vehicle shifts hard? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • hhr6hhr6 Posts: 1
    My 2006 HHR has been good for 105900 miles. Yes I have had the brakes done five times. Both front and back with drums and rotors turned. The last time the service depart. decided to install their best stuff with a lifetime warranty. We'll see!!. Now the engine light comes on intermittently and the heat goes from normal 185 to 190 then the transmission shifts with jerks . We are saying its dirty sensors. I will return for an possible engine flush which was decided after 6 visits.
  • oldpopsoldpops Posts: 2
    Have you tried JC Whitney? They have a web site now and have alot of old stuff.
  • oldpopsoldpops Posts: 2
    After driving about 40 miles on interstate, stopping at stop sign and try to take off, my car runs very rough, doesn't seem to done shift but tries start off in OD. Can someone share any information on this?
    oldpops,
    I am sorry your experiencing concerns with your vehicle. Have you spoke with your dealer reguarding your concerns? If not, I would recommend starting there. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jenkies70jenkies70 Posts: 1
    I have a used 2006 HHR that I've only had about 2 years. It's never really had any problems until the last couple of months. When I first start driving, it kicks really hard going into gear, and then again going into 2nd gear, after that it's smooth sailing. I talked to my very trusted mechanic, who, unfortunately does not work on transmissions, and now my next step is the transmission shop. I'm hoping I can get some feedback as to what the problem might be. I really try to do my homework before purchasing a vehicle, and thought I found a good one...til now. It only has 64,000 miles on it and of course is not under the manufacturer's warranty. Any info is greatly appreciated.
  • aldoraldor Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
    Hello Sir, did you find the problem with your HHR trasmission?
    Im having the same problem and I would like to get some info before I take it to the dealer.
    thanks.
  • Hello Sir, did you find the problem with your HHR trasmission?
    Im having the same problem and I would like to get some info before I take it to the dealer.
    thanks.
  • I wish to tow the HHR behind my motorhome. I read that it can be towed flat with an automatic tranny. Is this true? No modifications? I will buy a manual tranny if the auto can't be towed. I hope someone can answer this.
    I checked the 2010 HHR manual on how to tow this car behind a recreational vehicle. It looks like you can either tow it with all four wheels on the ground or with the front two wheels on a dolly. The only note I see on what NOT to do (at least for the 2010 HHR) is that the vehicle should not be towed in reverse.

If you had a specific model year in mind, let me know and I can make sure that this is true for that model year as well.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • wldebonawldebona Posts: 1
    edited March 4

I have an 07 HHR LT. I was stuck on ice the other day pulling into my parking space and had to be pushed while spinning the tires. The next day I started hearing a noise that sounds like a lawnmower or propellers from an airplane and feel a vibration on the floor as I pick up speed. The engine is running smooth and is quiet, no service lights are on. It also shifts smoothly. I'm trying to get an idea of what it could be caused from. I have very limited finances since I'm on SS disability. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate the information.

Hi wldebona,

We certainly understand your concerns and apologize that you're now experiencing a noise coming from your vehicle. I understand that you're looking for some tips on the forum to prevent you from going in for service. If you decide to take your vehicle into your local Chevy dealership to be checked, we'd be happy to facilitate throughout this process. Please feel free to private message us your VIN and contact information if we can be of assistance.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

2»