Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Elantra vs 2007 Nissan Sentra

Comments

• v_dv_d Posts: 89
    "Has anyone noticed the design similarity between the new Sentra and the new Chrysler Sebring?"

You have to be kidding me... i dont thing anyone did, and you know why? 'Cause there`s none! Look at the headlights, taillights and body line, it`s just not the same and it doesnt even resemble.

But yes: as someone before me posted. It looks like an Altima, a Maxima and the Ion, plus the Daewoo Lacetti (if I remember right), BUT still they are not the same. If you want an identical car with the Sentra take a look at the Renault Megane (www.renault.co.uk), look at specs for de 2.0 16V engine, safety features (although the Megane does have ESP - I guess Europeans love life more than we do) and platform.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Elantra came in 4th out of 6; Sentra came in last. Surprises were 1st place to the Rabbit, and the Sentra could not even beat out the "old" Corolla.

Car and Driver said the Elantra roars on the highway. I will still give it a try, but that is the 2nd review (both with manuals) with that comment. What is strange is the fact that the Elantra was the quietest of all 6 cars at both idle and 70mph cruise. Maybe it is not the noise volume, but the sound of the engine itself.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    I've read other reviews that noted the Elantra is a very quiet and smooth car. What could be happening is that whatever engine noise is there really stands out due to the relative quietness of the car. I experienced this effect when I drove the Sentra the other day. The car is pretty quiet in terms of wind and engine noise, and has a solid chassis. So that made the noise from hitting expansion joints on highways quite noticeable--moreso than if it happened in a noisier car I think.

Also I think some car reviewers hear what they expect to hear. ;)
  • This is in the December edition of C&D? Haven't received mine yet. A "completely" resdesigned car and the best it could muster was 4th out of 6th? yikes. Who came in second and third?
    Just got it yesterday. The second was the Mazda3 and the third was the Civic.
  • Which Elantra trim level was tested?

What was the CD tested mileage for the Elantra as compared with the Civic/M3/Rabbit/Sentra?

Anyone know when the CR comparo will be done?

Somewhere in Hyundai corporate land, execs are praying for high NHTSA and IIHS scores to salvage this car.

This doesn't bode well for the Elantra. What will happen when the 2008 Corolla and 2008/2009 Saturn Ion/Opel Astra hit the market?

Hyundai desperately needs to drop the ancient 4-speed AUTO, revise the suspension, drop the 2.4l in, include traction control as standard and make ESC optional and keep the price the same. A few more centimeters of interior space just don't cut it in 2007 when your powerplant and chasis is sub par.
    SE. All with manual transmissions. Don't have the mag with me, but it was Corolla/Civic 1st, Elantra 3rd, Mazda 4th, Sentra 5th, Rabbit last. I will revise if I remembered incorrectly.

All got their city or better rating except the Sentra was slightly worse. Is this a Nissan pattern along with the Versa not even getting the city EPA numbers?
  • In my experience Nissan has never engineered their engines for fuel efficiency.
    Hyundai desperately needs to drop the ancient 4-speed AUTO, revise the suspension, drop the 2.4l in, include traction control as standard and make ESC optional and keep the price the same. A few more centimeters of interior space just don't cut it in 2007 when your powerplant and chasis is sub par.

Why? You haven't read the review yet, so you don't know why C/D rated the Elantra 4th. The Elantra had a five-speed stick, just like the top-ranked Rabbit (and like almost every other car in the comparo--an exception being the last-place Sentra). It has a fully-independent multi-link rear suspension like the first-place Rabbit. It has more hp per pound than the Rabbit, and more torque (with just 2 fewer hp) than the 3rd-place Civic. The 3rd-place Civic LX doesn't have traction control or ESC either (actually most of the cars in the comparo don't have these features even available let alone standard). So none of these things kept, or should have kept, the Elantra from a higher ranking in the comparo. More likely it was because C/D's editors found the ride and handling to be softer than they prefer.

If you think Hyundai's execs are "praying", what do you think Nissan's execs are doing? Nissan is a Japan-based company; I can only imagine...
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Demand will exceed availability during the first year of the new Elantra.

The only problem facing Hyundai is where to find more capacity for engines and vehicles.

I completely disagree with you opinion germancarfan1. The market will determine who is correct.
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    In my experience Nissan has never engineered their engines for fuel efficiency.

For the third time: THE 2.0l ENGINE IN THE SENTRA WAS DEVELOPED BY Renault ABOUT 3 YRS AGO! Not by Nissan.

Europe=high gas prices ==> therefore this engine WAS developed for fuel efficiency, trust me, when an European goes to a Dealer his first question is not "how many horses how many horses???", but "And the fuel consumption?".
    I got my December C/D today. It's a curious review in a number of ways. Here's some odd things about it:

* It complains that the Mazda3 they tested might be too sporty. When was the last time you saw C/D say that about any car? Also, which Mazda3 did they choose for the comparo? The Mazda3i, which has less-aggressive tires/rims and would have easily fit under their self-imposed $18k price limit? No. They chose the Mazda3s, s as in "Sport". :confuse:

* The Mazda3 took top honors in braking, roadholding, lane change, 1/4 mile acceleration, performance, steering feel, brake feel, handling, and ride. But it was ranked below the Rabbit in "fun to drive." :confuse:

* The Civic was top-ranked for ride, even though the review complains about the suspension being "surprisingly noisy over road impacts" and a "crisp" ride.

Anyway, back to the subject, Elantra vs. Sentra...

It appears they suffered the same fate. C/D is not looking for a car to do what most of us do with cars--drive around town or cruise on the interstates. No, they want a car with sporty ride (read firm) and handling so when they carve those canyons, they can have fun. And that's fine. But it's something to consider when reading the review.

Here's what C/D said about the Elantra:

* "Scores high on value" with the lowest price of the group
    * Nicely styled interior with "top-quality materials and details" with "sophisticated use of texture and sheen" and "sit-all-day" seats and lots of storage compartments
    * Front buckets have a "plush feel"
    * "Top marks" for space and comfort
    * Light controls and a slick shifter and clutch.
    * Smooth ride; "at metro traffic speeds the car feels agile and trusty. Grab it and go, like you're old friends."
    * Tested fuel economy was 3rd best in the test, 28 mpg (behind Civic and Corolla)
    * Noise at idle and at 70 mph cruise were lowest in the test
    * 5-60 mph (more useful in real world than 0-60) was quickest in the test

Sounds like a car that would make an excellent commuter (especially if carrying a carpool) or family hauler. Which is what economy sedans are tasked to do by most of us. If you want sporty, there's the Mazda3--as long as you don't want too sporty! ;)

The Sentra similarly was praised for its interior room and denigrated for lack of "driving fun." The knocks on the shifter were curious though. They said the clutch was "heavy" (although they knocked the Elantra's as maybe too light, hard to know what they like) and the shifter is limp. I found the Sentra's clutch firmer than, say, a Civic, but acceptable. The shifter was anything but limp--it was actually a little notchy, but seemed crisp to me. And the ride was if anything too firm, not "tippy" and "plush" as noted by C/D. They harped on the small door pockets (they are) but begrudingly noted all the other storage space in the car, including the HUUUGE glove box.

The illegibility of the Sentra's gauges with polarized sunglasses was a good catch though--that could be a real problem for many drivers. I am amazed that got past Sentra's engineers.

They like to harp on styling too, calling the Sentra's "tortured". I don't happen to like the Sentra's styling, but I think "tortured" is over the top. Besides, styling is completely subjective, so why include it in the scoring? (Other publications e.g. CR do not.)
    Correction. I only forgot one thing that the Mazda and Sentra got the same mpg on C/D's 550 miles of testing.

1st Civic/Corolla 33 mpg
    3rd Elantra 28
    4th Mazda3/Sentra 27
    6th Rabbit 24
  • spmrebelspmrebel Posts: 130
    Was that 550 miles a lot of highway or city mileage? The mileage that C/D got is on the low side of the Elantra's EPA rating of 28/36. I would have expected around 30 or maybe equal to Corolla/Civic. Was this with stick? If this is stick, it doesn't bode well at all for Elantra for its mileage.

On Mazda was this with the 2.3L engine? Stick or auto? If auto this is pretty good considering Mazda 3 has a bigger engine, more power and low end torque.

Still waiting for my C/D issue.
  • I believe the Mazda was the 3s 5M 160HP rated at 26/33. Returning 27MPG is pretty darn good. The Elantra's mileage isn't exactly impressive for a car that has only 138HP and rated at 28/36. Though it is inline with the 25-26 MPG I get with my 2004 Elantra rated at 26/34.

Comparing mileage costs between the Elantra and Civic, you'll be saving roughly $200 at $2.50/g for 15K miles a year. Over a 5 year period, factoring in depreciation savings with the Civic, any difference in cost between the 2 cars will evaporate quickly. Basically, since it's pretty much a wash, buy the car that you like the most.
    You are forgetting about discounts and, eventually, rebates that will be available on the Elantra. For $1000-1500 difference, I agree, it's really a wash. But for $4000 difference? And then there's the little issue of the polarizing styling of the Civic, and lack of room--if those are important.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    What do you mean by "polarizing style"? The only thing a little on the odd side is the short overhang of the Civics hood and longish dashboard inside up to the windshield. I personally like the look and am glad I got the sedan instead of the coupe. If I didn't have the spine problems that have been getting much worse since my accident, I would've jumped on the coupe. But the longer & heavier doors plus the somewhat claustraphobic back seat area made me go for the sedan.
    I did sit in the Elantra before I bought, but the seats for me were a deal breaker. I couldn't get comfortable and my spine really hurt just sitting in the showroom. I did my "sit test" and the only cars that passed it were the Corolla & the Civic. The Sonata seats were great for me, especially with the power function, but the size knocked it out of contention, as well as the mpg's.

The Sandman :)
    C/D called the Civic "hugely polarizing" in their December comparo. Two quotes from their editors:

"I dig the futuristic, artsy look."

"I hate everything but the way it drives."

Did you sit in the 2007 Elantra before buying your Civic?

BTW, there is a Civic vs. Elantra discussion...
  • It really does have very polarizing style. Most people go into the love it/hate it category, but I'm in the middle. I think the front/side/most of the interior looks really sharp, but I think the taillight design is horrible. It's all opinion, though. It's at least an interesting enough design where I don't make fun of people who drive them. I save that for all the Five Hundreds, Tauruses, and Sebrings I see. :D
  • I think whatever highway noise the people are talking about is only with the Elantra manual, probably. It's still a strange comment. If you read Consumer Reports' review of the '07 Accent, they say the same thing - engine noise is very pronounced due to the gearing of the manual. I don't really understand how that works myself, but they didn't have any complaints about the automatic version. Maybe that's the case with the new auto Elantra, then.
This discussion has been closed.