Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Transmission Problems

Comments

• This is my first posting, but have been following it since '05.
    I have a 2005 Jeep CRD . First a run down of problems,
    1)Oct. Front ball joint recall. Had to replace leaking rear seal. 2) Fail injector, took 5 days for the dealership to get a part. I was out of town and had to get a motel and rental car. 3) Nov.Failure of repaired rear unit took 3 days to repair, another rental car. 4) F37 recall done. 5) 17 days later, loud bang, engine light on, can't shift past 3rd gear, towed away from home. 5) 8 days later, no word on the repair of the transmission. Living in NC, not sure if this qualifies for the lemon law. Any help here? Regards :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: ">link title
  • I recently took my 2003 Jeep Liberty in for Transmission drain and fill typical maintenance stuff. After picking it up I notice a hard down shift from 3 to 2. I took it back to the dealer and he said that they may not have put enough transmission fluid in it when they first started the Jeep. This can cause the transmission computer to think there was not enough pressure so it adjusted the pressure. Then after they checked and filled the fluid the transmission had to much pressure. He said after a few days the transmission would relearn this and adjust it. In order to make this happen sooner he plugged in the computer and reset the transmission learning software to default settings. Test drove it and no problems at all. He said in about a week the transmission would relearn my driving habits and make adjustment accordingly. He said at any time if it felt like there was a driving problem with the transmission to just bring it in and they would check the codes and reset if necessary. It took him about 5 minutes to check the codes and retrain the transmission.
  • lcwoslcwos Posts: 35
    This is my second leased Liberty Limited. My 2002 was wonderful. Never had it into the dealership other than oil change and tire rotation. When they offered us a pull forward lease for a 2006, we turned it in. Picked up the 2006 on Halloween Night, 2005. My hubby borrowed my jeep to put miles on it. I only drive about 3,000 miles a year but he's always on the road. Anyway, on his way back from a business trip, the car's Service Engine soon light comes on, then within a couple minutes, it suddenly starts slowing down and comes to a halt. He thinks it's the transmission, as he said he had been noticing a clunking and loud noise when the car shifted at 10mph then again at 28-35mph. He said it sounded like something was falling out of the back end. Coming out of 4wd, the sound was even worse, and the vehicle almost bucked.
    I sure do hope they figure out what the problem is. I live in a rural area the middle Northern Michigan and am alone 5 out of 7 days a week. I'm just thankful my Hubby had the car and a cell phone to summon assistance. I would have been up a creek had it happened to me. Cell phone service is almost non-existant. Wish the Chryslers had ON STAR like the GM's do. Anyway, this wont sour me to the Jeep Liberty, unless they cant get the problem resolved.
    :cry: :sick:
  • Subject: Torque converter recall

We took out 05 CRD in for the torque converter recall. The recall said they may have to do some computer changes. BOY, did they. It does not have the torque it did. We went back because we are not happy at all. The mechanic
    said the changes were to decrease the torque. It also changed the shift points.
    Now, it shifts like a vehicle that hangs way to long in one gear. Had I know, I would not have authorized this. They said there was nothing they could do about it. Jeep was said the same to my husband.
    If you bought a Viper truck and the recall decreased the horse power to a Hemi, that's the same thing. I did buy this vehicle. Sure, mine runs well, but it's not what I signed a financial contract on .
    Be VERY careful. If you want decreased power and torque, let them reset your computer.
  • Subject: Torque converter recall

We took out 05 CRD in for the torque converter recall. The recall said they may have to do some computer changes if there was damage. BOY, did they. It does not have the
    torque it did. We went back because we are not happy at all. The mechanic said the changes were to decrease the torque. It also changed the shift points.
    Now, it shifts like a vehicle that hangs way to long in one gear. Had I know, I would not have authorized this. They said there was nothing they could do about it.
    Jeep was saying the same to my husband.
    If you bought a Viper truck and the recall decreased the horse power to a Hemi, that's the same thing. I did buy this vehicle. Sure, mine runs well, but it's not what I signed a financial contract on .
    Be VERY careful. If you want decreased power and torque, let them reset your computer. :mad: :( :surprise:
  • I have a 2006 Liberty CRD with 5400 miles. The engine light comes on and transmission starts acting up. Trans. starts off in 2nd grear and won't shift into overdrive. Had to dealer 3 times. Coil pack replaced, transmission valve body replaced, re-program the PCM. Just got it back, and after 20 min. started acting up again. I give up. Anyone with some problem? :sick:
  • lcwoslcwos Posts: 35
    Time for the Chrysler area or Divisional Rep to get personally involved in this one. Dont stand for this kind of run around, especially with your mileage.
  • nuzeditnuzedit Posts: 1
    The transmission on my daughter's 2002 Liberty Sport went out last week at about 65,000 miles. We are told it was due to the torque converter. Now it looks as though a total rebuild is in order. Oddly, there were two other '02 Liberties in the shop at the same time with virtually the same mileage and the same transmission problem. Maybe Chrysler needs a recall on the '02 Liberty for torque converter replacement as the did on the CRDs. Just a thought. Other than this the car has performed well. Then one must keep in mind that the transmission is one of the most costly key components of any car.
  • I just had the same problem with my 2002 Liberty with 40,000 miles. The engine light came on and it won't shift out of first gear. I dropped it off at the dealer on the way home and they'll call me tomorrow to see what's up... :P
  • The dealership called today and said the transmission controller would not let them download the codes. They're sure the controller is bad and will have to be replaced. They said hopefully nothing else is bad. The controller will cost $1,000 and will take 5-8 days to get here; I live in Honolulu. Of course my extended warranty doesn't cover it because it only covers "lubricated components". That excludes anything electronic right away. I've never had any problems with my Jeep and am still pretty happy with it. Hope this fixes it. :cry:
  • My Jeep's been in the shop for a week and the controller finally came in today. They replaced it but now the transmission slips on 3rd and 4th gears. The shift check on the controller is good so now it's pointing at the transmission itself. They'll know more tomorrow, at least if it is the transmission it's covered by my extended warranty unlike the controller. :confuse:
  • arvmanarvman Posts: 95
    Hey all,had the recall done yesterday,noticed a bit of difference but I'll know for sure when I tow my trailer.they did the job on time and so far I'm happy but nervous,gonna get some miles on this week and drive it hard,we'll see....
  • sbellessbelles Posts: 1
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME WHAT A REVERSE SOLENOID IS AND WHAT IT HAS TO DO WITH YOUR TRANSMISSION. I HAVE A 2002 JEEP LIBERTY WHICH JUST HAD A NEW ENGINE PUT IN AND NOW THE TRANSMISSION IS BAD. IT WORKED FINE BEFORE THE ENGINE BLEW AND AFTER THE NEW ENGINE WAS PUT IN THEY SAID IT WOULD NOT SHIFT OUT OF 3RD GEAR. NOW THEY ARE SAYING THEY HAVE TO REPLACE THE REVERSE SOLENOID BEFORE THEY CAN FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION. I REALLY HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME.

THANKS,
    STEFANI
  • Now they're saying the valve body needs to be replaced. This is covered by my extended warranty thank God! It'll be another 5 days to get this part from the mainland and my rental car bill is starting to hurt. I miss my Jeep... :(
  • Well 2 weeks later and $1,400 poorer my Liberty is fixed. They had to change the shift controller, the valve body and reprogram the computer. Since they were in there I also told them to change the filters so I could get a "free" transmission oil change/service. Anyway, my Liberty works great now and it's absence made me realize how much I missed it! :blush:
  • kbuckmankbuckman Posts: 4
    I just discovered this site, so please excuse any posting faux-pas. I have a 2005 Liberty CRD. Nothing but problems. The aftercooler hose popped off when it was a month old, and downhill since then. Mostly transmission trouble. recently in for service due to recall;3 weeks later, the RPM's shoot up to 6000, won't shift out of first. Then loses all fluid-towed in. They "fixed it" with a new hose and some fluid. State that the transmission is not damaged. I can't believe this-there were grinding sounds, burnt odor, and fluid everywhere. I am SICK of the truck, and ready to trade it off :lemon: . Does anyone think that the trans. would be undamaged by such an event? :sick:
  • hamchamphamchamp Posts: 33
    Sorry about the CRD. Mine had the F-37 done Jan. 11, on the 29th of Jan. the trans went. It is still in the dealership. A Jeep in a heap. *60 days and 60 nights* We are trying for a replacement. Read your manual to see your rights, and what you need to do. How many miles before the your final problem. I had 22K. hamchamp :lemon: :lemon: :sick:
    It is really aggravating isn't it? My pain-in-the you know what first had trouble with just a couple of thousand miles on it. The latest episode happened at 59,000 miles. Good luck with your pursuit of a replacement. I am tempted to call an attorney friend, but I don't think I could deal with the stress of all that with Chrysler. All our other vehicles are GM, and minimal problems. I think the F-37 was done on mine the middle of February, so it took 6 weeks to leave my beside a narrow, busy highway. Best wishes friend!
    Stressful it is. Thanks for the good wishes. Hamchamp
  • I recently purchased a used 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited with 34,000KM from a dealership. I have noticed that when I am doing about 50km/h in a residential area,the transmission seems to be shifting up and down and the Jeep has a jerking motion when this is happening. This does not happen when on a highway and travelling at a higher speed. Any ideas as to what this could be? I have tried turning the O/D off and this makes no difference. I am a single lady and don't know a whole lot about vehicles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    the dealer will tell you that is it normal diesel shifting.
    I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. (Mine went away last month). Now the dealer that I traded it to can't sell it!
  • cojaccojac Posts: 1
    Is it just me?? My '05 Liberty CRD had total transmission failure at 31301; 32063, 32112, 41818, and 51,872 miles!!!
    I do not tow, but car is periodically used as an RV tow car with 4 wheels on ground (transfer case in neutral). Am I alone in sensing that the diesel's torque is too much for the transmission/torque converter. Ck engine light has been on most of the car's short life...have paid a fortune in EGR system work as dealer (mistakenly) thinks this is the problem...I think its simply an unworkable diesel/trans linkage...any thoughts???
    the dealers do not know how to work on these vehichles, nor do they appear to WANT to learn. Mine left me by the side of the road one time too many. I took a big financial hit and got the %$^%&()*&^)(&^ rid of it!
    Cojac, After I had the F-37 completed, my transmission blew. It is still in the dealership at 88 days. No loaner car was provided . I don't think that they can fix it. My CRD has 22K. 2005. It is 1-1/2 years old. What are you going to do? hamchamp :sick:
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,350
    Hamchamp, did you drive long distances with the converter locked at low engine speed?
    This is what my dealer told me: He and his Jeep colleagues in France had to repair a few converters who suffered from the combination of the variable vanes turbo giving more torque at the low end and travelling at low speed in high gear.
    Were you in this condition?
    He also gave me a clear warning about using power chips combined to the automatic transmission. I should also destroy my converter :sick:
    Caribou1, Most of the 22K was at 58 mph torque converter lock. 1850 rpms. No problem with transmission until after F-37 recall was completed. 733 miles after the F-37, catastrophic failure.Hamchamp :sick:
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,350
    Hamchamp, just a thought about the recall and your driving habits:
    - You probably already had damaged the torque converter before the F-37 recall occurred, but not enough to destroy it.

This would seem reasonable assuming the service technician didn't do a thorough verification of the converter after flashing the controller. Once play gets into the assembly, you need less power to continue mechanical deterioration. In such case the liability insurance of the dealership should pay the repair.
  • jlee007jlee007 Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Liberty. Am happy with it and would buy another. However, this one has ticking noises when I put the automiic transmission lever into Drive. Is this normal? One mechanic said it was. Is he alone in his opinion? The other issue is a shifting jolt as I drive. The xmission gives a jolt from time to time shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. In the old days, I would diagnose this as a worn universal joint, but I am informed that u-joints are a thing of the past. I know sooner or later this jolting will break something. So how long before it breaks (Have 81k on odometer)or needs an overhaul? And what is causing it? Or is there a simple cure? Like tranny flushing?
  • That clicking noise in normal. The noise is caused by some valves in the transmission clicking open and closed diverting hydraulic pressure to certain places within the transmission. Nothing to worry about, they all do it. :P
  • Mine is doing the same thing now. I have 68k on my 2003 sport. I'm really wondering if I should trade it quickly! Any ideas? ??:lemon: ??