Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Starting and Stalling Problems

123457»

Comments

• nezlonnezlon Posts: 3
    I ended up replacing both the camshaft position and crankshaft position sensors. Reset my computer and ever since, my problem has been fixed. Cost for the parts was minimal (less than $60USD for both) but it was very labor intensive to replace as I had to remove my catalytic convertor to get to the crankshaft position sensor. This is the only issue I've had with my Liberty and it is now at 97K. I hope this helps someone down the road (pun intended). :)
  • Last week while going home my jeep started stalling on hwy it lost the power, I let it roll and stop.Everything else was running fine I shift gear from Drive to Park and turn off the engine.I tried to start the engine and it didn't start.I tried twice and white smoke came out of exhaust.I got it towed to my mechanic.after 3 days he showed me 3 ignition coils were literally blasted, He recommened to change all 6 ignition coils, sprak plugs and crank sensor, I agreed to it and two day later he said this doesn't seem to fix the problem.He took it for drive and same problem again after 10 minutes.this time 2 of new ignition coils blasted again, he mentioned he never saw something like this with ignition coils.He said two of the coils are misfiring and this happen only with those two.Now he say it seems to be PCM, he doesn't do PCM, he ask me to contact dealer,Which I will be doing tomorrow.Please advise what should I do.I have read lots of post here and Very few people had luck with getting thier problems fixed without spending too much money.Any help is appreciated.
  • I got my jeep today and the dealer replaced two ignition coils all 6 spark plugs, crank sensor, cam sensor, gasket for throttle, pcv valve and i have drove 30 miles so far no issue.I will keep it posted, if their are any issues. :)
  • Hello everyone. I have come here and other forums to ask for help with a 02 jeep liberty.

I am getting to my wits end with this.

The problem is it will start and run fine as long as I hold the gas pedal for about 10 to 30 seconds.

If I do not hold the gas pedal the jeep will start and the idle will drop below 500 RPM and it will die, this takes about 10 to 30 seconds after the engine fires.

It's sounding to me like a vacuum leak or the IAC. So I noticed the rubber hose connections to the plastic lines that come from the throttle body were cracked, so I replaced them, and I could not find the IAC spec's online to ohm it out, so I just went to autozone and payed the $70 for a new one.

After changing out the old cracked rubber hose connectors,checking for other vacuum leaks and replacing the IAC, it is still doing the same thing.
    Starting and dieing/stalling.

The jeep runs fine after me holding the gas pedal for the 10-30 seconds, well it is using alittle more MPG than normal, I could go for 1.5 weeks on a tank of gas, now I am getting almost a week.

I am hoping the extra eyes and ears on this will get it cracked
  • spoograbspoograb Posts: 6
    Hi all, I have an 08 Liberty Sport 4x4. I bought it certified preowned back in October with 25k miles here in New England. Now that the weather is becoming damper, I'm noticing the engine wants to sometimes stall at idle. It will idle slightly about 500 and then all of a sudden the rpm will dip to around 300 and the car will shake slightly. Then suddenly the engine will recover itself and send rpm around 750. If sitting at idle for a couple of minutes, the idle will slowly go down to 500 again and the same process will happen. Tomorrow will be the 3rd time it has been to Jeep. It was a clean carfax with oil changes every 5000 and i just did the $600 30k mile checkup. Seems like it was well taken care of prior to my ownership, so not sure what is going on. The first time, Jeep updated the software which now makes my transmission shift in entirely different places.... Second time they replaced the electronic throttle body because I said the dash lights flickered a little when the engine wanted to stall. That was done 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden we get 2 days of rain/snow and it happens again. Now today is 45 and sunny and dry and the car idles as smooth as could be. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? HELP! Thanks.
  • benw8831benw8831 Posts: 1
    i recently bought a used jeep liberty...it just ran over 102,000 and the check engine light came on and a couple days later it started shaking when the car gets to a low idle at a stop light. it kind of chugs around now does not like to go past thirty but it will the car never died on me i took it to get it checked out and my number six cyl was misfiring .....i replaced the number six coil pack and all six spark plugs i went for the bosch four prong plugs....i then cleaned the air filter and changed the oil and she is already doing the same thing not even twelve hours later......i am in the military and dont make a lot of money suggestions?
  • So does anyone have a fix for the stalling and tach jumping for the 2002 Jeep liberty before I run it into the river? Oh wait I can't do that cause it will stall out before i get there lol.
  • nezlonnezlon Posts: 3
    Try replacing the Cam position and Crankshaft sensors. It is impossible to tell which one is the issue. I bought both at NAPA for around $60 then had a friend help me replace them which required disconnecting a portion of the exhaust in front of the catalytic convertor. From what I've read, dealership mechanics have taken customers on a ride for the symptoms that you and many others have experienced. Anyway... replacing both the sensors fixed my ills with my Jeep. Good luck!
  • nkotbchicankotbchica Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty 2WD which I was driving yesterday and it was working fine. I parked it and when I went to start it, it just wouldn't. The lights and the radio work just fine (so it's not the battery). I thought that maybe I ran out of gas, so my BF put some in it, but every time we would turn the key, it makes a noise as if there are rocks in the engine and it never turns over. It sounds awful! I don't know what it could be. I just got my oil changed and the transmission fluid changed too. Any ideas on what it could be? Could it be my catalytic converter? Help! Thanks!
  • yodelsruleyodelsrule Posts: 1
    After several years of this issue and hundreds of dollars in parts and labor......the problem has been solved thanks to a post on this site.
    When diagnostic codes showed the overdrive sensor not working I had it replaced but still didn't fix it. I came to this site and read the problem of the routing of the speed sensor wires located on the rear difrential. The problem is that they rub on the E-brake cable and once the wire is exposed they short and the speedometer and any other options running off the speed sensor quit working and that includes the tranny shift points and can cause the torque converter to not unlock and cause stalls. So I called my brother and asked him to check these wires and sure enough, they had worn through. We went to a dealer and got the replacement kit for $32.00 and my brother replaced it. He also took the time to encase the wires in a plastic tubing to avoid this problem again. I was looking to get rid of my jeep out of frusteration but I am glad to say this gilr is now keeping her Jeep!
  • loco10loco10 Posts: 1
    Hey, I have the same Problem with my jeep. It was driving just fine and suddenly it did not want to shift to 3rd gear at all if you could lett me know what to do I just bought it. it has 104,000 miles on it and what is the code meaning of P0733 and P0734
  • lexx4lexx4 Posts: 1
    Hi, I hope someone can help with my issues. I purchased an 02 Jeep Liberty Limited for my daughter. This is her first car and I really wanted to make sure the vehicle I purchased was a dependable one so she would never be broke down somewhere in distress. Well since I purchased this Jeep I have been back and forth to the dealer with starting and stalling issues. First of all when I was driving it home the idle dropped down and the vehicle stalled. I waited a minute and restarted it, then drove it straight back to the dealer. He looked at it and said it must be the battery, so he replaced it and it ran fine. When the vehicle is running it runs great. After replacing the battery I drove to pick up the check to purchase the vehicle. After picking up the check I drove back to the car lot and thought everything was ok. When I got back in it, it wouldn't start. Well the guy crawled under it while I held the key in start position and it started. He said it was the starter so he put a new one on. Now I have been driving it for three days with no problems. My daughter just called me about two hours ago and said it wouldn't start. She sat there for about five minutes and eventually it started up again. I am baffled!! Like I said when its running it runs great but this problem really worries me for the safety of my daughter. If you have any advice please let me know and if you have any questions for me to help figure this out please ask me. Hope something works out.

Thanks,
    Van
  • jong818jong818 Posts: 3
    Hi,

How many miles is in ur daughter's jeep?
    I assume that NO check engine light is on, battery is new, starter is new.
    It could be some ignition contacts that is part of the steering column. Visually, these contacts are probably made from some kind of zinc-lead alloy, that I "describe" as soft metal.
    I had similar signs of this type of failure and had the steering column replaced. You can start it usually in the AM, when the weather is cold.
    If my opinion is true, try putting the gear in N(eutral), step on the break and turn the ignition. Getting a new steering column yourself and pay only for labor, before the time comes when u can't hardly start the jeep, could be a factor to consider.

Jong (2002 Jeep liberty, 3.7L V6), L.A., Calif
    Engine Oil = 5W30
  • bbarb1bbarb1 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Jeep liberty 2 years ago and at that time it had less then 20,000 miles one it. First thing to go on vehicle were the window regulators...three of them had to be replaced. Now the car with 53,000 miles on it looks like there might be transmission problems. I have had it at the dealership on and off for the last 2 months trying to locate the problem. The dealership tells me that no error codes show up. The car recently started to stall out on me and the dealership, again tells me they can't find the problem. This is an intermittant issue, when the is car stopped at light while in drive, will slip back into neutral. Dealership tells me when this problem happens just throw the car back into neutral then back into drive.....How is it that Chrysler can't figure out what is wrong with their own car???? I have been endlessly on the phone with Detroit and nothing.....I hate this car....The dealership tells me that they have never seen a problem like this!
  • 3jrh3jrh Posts: 1
    I am right there with ya! This November I bought a '06 liberty w/ an automatic transmission and am starting to have the same problems-especially on inclines! This is my first purchase-trying to build my credit and now I am stuck trying to figure out what is wrong. The Jeep doesn't even have 104,000 mile yet!
  • jeep35jeep35 Posts: 1
    Hi, I hope someone has the answer, I have a Jeep Liberty 02 4x4 64,000 miles. Has been great until now.
    Last Friday I drove doing errands, it was fine, came out from walmart, it started, RPM thing was bouncing like crazy, transmission light on and it immediately stalled. did this several times. I finally got it were I could put into reverse went 4 feet and stalled, did this several times. Furthest I got it was maybe 50 ft. Left the car there overnight, next day started and drove home fine.

I took it to my mechanic, there was the camshaft sensor error, but since the car ran fine I took it home. Have driven only very short trips and is OK. Today I went across town, 12 miles, and on the way back about 1 mile from my house going 45mph the RPM dial started bouncing like crazy, the engine stalled , transmission light on. Same as the other day it would start, then stall immediately. I waited, about 1 1/2 hour and then it started and drove fine. Was that because the engine was cool? Any Suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, I am a single mom, with no husband, boyfriend or any mechanical knowledge myself, and did I mention I am also financially cash poor? so if I could tell the mechanic what it might be... that would be great. I have read the forums and many have replaced a lot parts and it still was not fixed, am hoping to avoid that. :cry: Thanks Susan
  • krawphishkrawphish Posts: 1
    So... 06 Liberty started stalling out randomly, no CEL, just like someone turned off the key.

Changed oil and filter, Air filter, Spark Plugs, PCV Valve, Cleaned idle air control valve, cleaned throttle body.

Jeep ran fine for about 10 days.

Saturday, put in reverse, moved 4 feet, stalled out.

Replaced Cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, throttle position sensor. Tested coils. All checked good.

Thinking it's the fuel pump, fuel filter, or fuel pressure requlator. All one unit. Looking into changing that unit. Thoughts?
  • Our 2003 Liberty, with 3.7L engine, began stalling once in a while when letting off the throttle. It would start up right away and then be OK for days. The last time, though, it stalled while driving normally and wouldn't start. It had some weird behavior, this time.

1) While stalling, the tach went crazy, jumping up to over 3000, down to 0, back and forth, until it stalled.

2) Engine light plus battery and oil lights went on. I had a Bluetooth OBD plugged in and using Torque on my phone the codes were P0320 (crank position sensor problem) and P1299 (Vacuum Leak Found (IAC Fully Seated) - MAP Sensor signal does not correlate to Throttle Position Sensor signal).

3) Battery seemed fine while first trying to re-start it, but then appeared completely dead 20 minutes later. I opened the door and the dome light wouldn't come on. Hazard lights were off. Turning the key got me nothing. Later, while on tow, the hazard lights came back on.

4) Mechanic couldn't find the problem. The charging system tested fine and he could start it, but it ran rough, like on two cylinders. And the catalytic converter got red hot right away.

Any ideas at all?
  • marcg58marcg58 Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    The dealer tech found fouled and worn-out plugs. Not surprising, since there are 150K miles. But also three ignition coils are bad. Replacing those got the Liberty running well, but compression was low.

His problem, and mine, too, why did three coils go bad at once? And considering the weird electrical and tach behavior, I'm guessing there's more to the root cause. Computer? Other electrical problem?

And what about low compression? Are we looking at more problems down the road?
  • I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport 4x4 I took it to the mechanic and he told me that the engine was done on it So i had to get a used engine inatalled on it He did that for me Went to pick it up Drove it for 10minutes and it stalled while i was driving it So i had to get it towed to his shop He said he was gonna change the ignition switch cuz he said thattat coulve been the problem(wich i doubt it) he said he took it for a test drive n it did the same thing Its been in his shop for a week after he switch the engine and he doesnt seem to find the problem Does anybody have any sugestion ??
  • I know you have an old post, but I wanted to respond. My 02 did the same thing, so I put it on a computer and it showed the same error. I ended up replacing the camshaft positioning sensor (a 23.00 part from auto zone) and it fixed the issue.
  • yotarollayotarolla Posts: 2
    where are they located
  • yotarollayotarolla Posts: 2
    do anyone know where they are
  • I got it repaired and it happens that That was the problem it had i don't know much about cars so for the people wondering where they are located Look it up on utube.think they have a few videos if that or else Google
  • So I am very curious as this is more than a stalling problem and it is not limited to the 02 liberty...since you had your camshaft positioning sensor replaced in May and it is Oct. now has the problem stayed "fixed"....I have purpose driven frustratingly about 5K miles (jeep has a total of 100K and is regularly serviced) to see what would become of the problem as I at first suspected emissions problems or fuel injector clogging or vacuum leak - all of which were indicated by the engine codes. I have come to believe this problem has to do more permanently with the ridiculous placement of the fuel filter above the gas tank. The fuel filter always clogs up in cars of a certain age...I am replacing it on a hunch this weekend. I am curious how the sensor stopped your problem...it seems odd since it I can't (because I am an idiot) wrap my head around the racing of the rpms and the stalling and cam...
  • mikecsrmikecsr Posts: 1

My 2004 Liberty (70.000) ignition will not engage when the interior gets too hot. The dealership let it sit in the sun but could not get it to fail to start. There are no smells, noises, codes, nor stalling issues. The vehicle is an automatic so going back and forth through the gears and jiggling the key seemed a remedy---nope. Tech and owner baffled. Any ideas? Mike C.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,837

Yeah, with these intermittent problems the dealer or mechanic has to capture the data when the problem is happening. Sounds like some cranky module.

123457»