Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• Hope someone can help!

I have a 2006 KJ Sport 3.7L, I have added an overhead console (EVIC from an '06 KJ) works great. I moved the stock map light to the rear where the cargo light was and replaced the stock bulbs with 24 LED pads in each side, everything works fine!

The problem comes with the front map/dome lights in the overhead console, they work fine with stock incandescent bulbs (192), when I install LED bulbs the lights will not shut off completely while driving!

They do shut off when the key is removed and the alarm is set.

Do I need to or can I install a separate ground for these lights?

I checked the circut with a VOM and found that there is 5.3V going to the bulbs at all times, this is not enough to light the incandescent bulbs but enough to cause the LED's to glow.

Does anyone know why there is voltage there all the time, and is there a way around this without using a load resistor that develops heat?

In the grand scheme of things this is not the biggest problem in the world and I could just say screw it and live with the yellowish light from the stock bulbs.............BUT........well y'all know what I mean!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Rich, N2ZKX
  • achaacha Posts: 1
    The car was acting fine, drove it for 45 minutes with no issues. Parked it, tried starting it less than an hour later and it was dead, wouldn't even turn over. Jumped the car and it would work. Thinking it was a dead battery, changed the battery, Still the battery wouldn't hold a charge. When trying to restart the car after changing the battery and driving it 5 minutes it would turn over but not enough, and then took the key out of ignition and the engine tried 5 more times to start!! (freaked me out) Anyway, got jumped again and drove 30 minutes to my house and when i tried to restart it after the drive it wouldn't start.

Any ideas of what else could be broke?
  • Acha CK the charging system if good (13.5 to 14.5 volt )
    disconnect one terminal of battery and connect an amp meter in series to see
    should not over one amp
  • This past weekend it rained heavily here in the Northern Sierra. Sunday morning the horn started — intermittently at first, then just full on. I disconnected te battery. Then I called a reputable Jeep mechanic and he told me to buy a new battery because the "cheap" battery I had just bought a year ago probably had a short and was causing major voltage fluctuations, thus causing the problem. I got an nice new Interstate ( always wanted one :) but the problem persists and I'm down $100 for the battery. Today, the head and tail lights just started flashing as if the alarm was going off — I had pulled the horn fuse, so I don't know if the horn would have joined the ensemble — my guess is yes. We're at 60,000 miles and this Jeep has been great so far. But now it will not even run. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect after 20 minutes, the engine will turn over — but it shuts itself off after about 5 seconds. It seems like it has something to do with the security system. Incidentally, I also replaced the batteries in both FOBs — they were five years old.

Any help out there?
  • Good morning, a friend's Jeep Liberty worked fine one evening, and then refused to turn over the next morning. She was able to get a jump, and the engine started, but she says that the engine died when she took her foot off of the gas. The jumper cables were connected the entire time, so my limited knowledge leads me to believe that the alternator is not at fault, again, since the vehicle started but then stopped after letting off of the accelerator. So, my question is: is there any sensor or other malfunction that might create this issue? It would be quite awesome to be able to get the vehicle up and running on her limited funds.

Thanks for any help!!
  • rickc38rickc38 Posts: 20
    My guess is replace the battery, probably not charging anymore.
  • interior lights blink when turning signal on, dash board lights quit working, rear passenger and front passenger parking lights quit working. Bulbs and fuses have been checked. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be coming from the the turning signal "arm" since all the problems are controlled by it?
  • ">link titlemy daughter has an 04 liberty, tonight when she got in it to go someplace it would not start and the radio wont shut off, even with the key out of the ignition and the door open.
    Anyone know what the problem might be? :sick: :mad:
  • instrument panel lights that are on right now are these....traction sensor, ABS, ESP, BAS, Serv 4wd....this is a theft recovery vehicle, that runs great and looks great with 24,000 miles on it. Not sure where to begin with getting these lights taken care of....is there a module that controls them...more than one module....4wd not working, power mirrors not working...any suggestions what to look at first.....Thanks for your help
  • I'm posting a follow up to my mysterious Jeep Liberty horn stuck and headlight flashing report. It wasn't long before I noticed the carpet on the entire driver's side was absolutely soaked, sopping, drenched — A LEAK! I cut the carpeting out (it was staring to stink) and I found a wire harness with hundreds of wires underneath soaking in a channel of water. My mechanic assured me that a wet wire harness would cause all kinds of crazy problems. Since it has all dried out all the problems have ended. I have not isolated te leak yet but I've learned there's a drain in the sunroof area that can get clogged and back up water that overflows behind panels. Also suspect is the new windshield I had installed a few months ago — it had not rained since then. Hope this info is helpful to someone! Cheers.
  • pop16pop16 Posts: 1
    Has anyone been told to remove neg. battery cable and let the airbag system discharge before going through with the resistor replacement? Any help appreciated>
  • I guess I don't know what resistor replacement you are talking about but looking through the '06 Jeep Liberty service manual it is recommended that you disconnect the negative side of the battery for just about everything including changing light bulbs.

Better to be safe than sorry, that being said I hardly ever do it myself and have never had a problem.

Hope this was helpful

Best regards

Rich O
  • aamaaama Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty with 45000 miles and the day after I bought it I washed it and about 15 minutes later my radio stopped working, my interior lights stopped working and the keyless remote stopped working. I checked the fuse box and there is a fuse that is blown. #34. My problem is that I keep replacing it and it keeps blowing out as soon as I push it in. Does anyone know what could be wrong and how much it would cost to fix it?
  • We have a 2004 jeep liberty. Love the little car, but the dashboard lights are somehow crossed with the brake lights. They won't come on except for when you hit the brakes. Any ideas from anyone on where to look? Help.....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    Not sure but if I had to take a WAG on it I''d suspect the wiring in the multi-function switch.

• Thank you. Tried the brake light switch. That wasn't it. Have assumed it is some kind of ground wire issue, but haven't found it yet. Will try the multiple function switch. Will let u know. Thanks again for the the lead.
  • My battery went dead on my Liberty and after having it towed to the dealer and replaced, the CD player no longer was recognized. The radio AM and FM was fine but when using the mode button it just skips back and forth to am/fm. You can hear the 6 disc changer going around but that is all. Has anyone had this problem? I have read several other messages on other sites about this. What did any of you do if this happened to you? Dealer wants to charge me $600 for new unit, says it is not their fault.
  • Beleive it or not, the exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago with my 2002 Liberty. A local garage pinpointed the problem to a malfunctioning radio/CD player. I only have the single-disc player, but apparently it was drawing over 2 amps even with the car off. The mechanic was able to locate a 2nd hand unit for around $200. It turned out the replacement was actuallly a better model than my original.
  • hawg07hawg07 Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone for the pointers on this problem.
    I have had the lights flash on my 04 liberty twice. I think both times was when my gas tank went below 1/4 full. So I may try replacing the gas cap and see if that is what is causing this strange phenomena.
  • wezwewezwe Posts: 10
    I have written about my 2004 Headlights Blinking in the past. I have yet to find out way or resolve the problem. It's been occurring more and more frequently. I have ruled out the that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with how long I've been driving the car (10 min. or an hour trip). I've also ruled out that it isn't when I just use my highbeams as originally thought. The Jeep Dealership couldn't replicate the situation, therefore, couldn't fix. This ticks me off as several people have this problem and it isn't considered "life threatening."
  • I have a 2009 Jeep Liberty , When I am driving my low tire light and security light blink at me it also reads low tire in the mileage counter . My tires are at the right psi as per the dealer , they are no help because the lights only come on at random . please help :cry:
  • I am having the same issue with my 2003. Where you able to figure out what shorted?

Thanks for your help.
  • driver side parking light and tail light out also when putting on brake the front parking light comes on. is this a grounding problem. also no power in wire for tail light
  • tc8132tc8132 Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I have a problem with my 2005 jeep liberty. What happened was the driver side tail light and license plate light stayed on after I shut the jeep off. So I started disconnecting the positive feed to the battery. After doing that half a dozen times, the tail light and license light stayed off. But then I lost the interior lights and radio. Then, I let my brother in law fool with it and I am back to square one with the radio and interior light working and the tail light and license plat light staying off with the jeep off.

I checked the fuses and replaced a a few of them. I don't know what to do...

Thanks
  • cableguy33cableguy33 Posts: 1
    allo have the same probleme enny idear what it is?>??? thanks
  • 04liberty04liberty Posts: 1
    I had the exact same issue. During heavy rain, my Liberty's horn blew all by itself, the lights flashed or stayed on and I had many other intermittent electrical issues. i tracked the problem down to water leaking onto and into the fuse panel on the drivers side. There was only a couple of drips on the outside, however when I blew compressed air into the fusebox, water just shot out! The floor on the drivers side was soaked too. 10 minutes with a hair dryer on it cleared out all the water. I had to get a leak repaired in the seal by the windshield and everything is good now
  • danswadanswa Posts: 1
    After cutting off the engine, the blower fan continue to run. I have taken the Jeep to the dealer and they replaced the fan relay switch. The problem continues intermittently. The dealer now has the Jeep back. Though the "check engine indicator" light on the dash came on, the dealer says they can find nothing wrong. No computer error messages, nothing. They say they are keeping the Jeep for one more day, but are at a loss for what is wrong. So, as it stands, when I drive it and this problem happens, the only thing I can do is remove the blower fan fuse to stop the fan. Not are real logical long-term solution. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • ohjeep77ohjeep77 Posts: 1
    Did you ever find what the problem was? Mine is doing the same.
  • wezwewezwe Posts: 10
    No, I haven't. I don't use my brights and I swear this eliminates the problem. Has only happened a handful of times. My 2004 has 147,000 miles on it and I've had next to no problems with it. This light problem AND a hole in the radiator. I was told by the radiator guy that Jeep is known for it's radiators needing to be replaced. I love the liberty, but couldn't bring myself to spend the high amount of money they want for a 2011, while having concerns about what type of problems I might have. I'm angry that Jeep hasn't done something about these electrical or module (sp?) problems that everyone is complaining about. Stupid on their part, because I so wanted to be a fan. Instead, I went for a Ford Flex.
  • nnm212nnm212 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My 2008 jeep Liberty Sky slider roof is broke and water start leaking into my car.when the temp outsides 80 or higher, all electrical on the dashboard cuts off and all warning signs are on , and the windshield wiper blades stays on. When the temp drops or when I drive my car a distance , all the electrical comes back on. Please help :cry: :cry: