Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• ">I have the same problem with my 2002 liberty. I have not found the problem. Help us. :confuse:
  • Any idea where I can get this resistor online? I don't have the time to stop by the dealer to pick it up.
  • Our problem was wiring on drivers side sun visor. Where the visor attaches there are three screws. A wire came loose and shorted out under one of the screwscausing fuse to blow and thus take interior lights, radio and dooor locks.
    Hope this helps!
  • Can someone please help me. I am trying to wire a 4-flat wiring harness directly to the wiring in my 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I have found the wires for the turn signals and ground but cannot locate the 1 wire that controls both the brake and parking lights. There is a white/tan wire that is just for brakes and a green/yellow for just parking lights. Can I splice both of these wires into the brown wire on the harness? Or is there just 1 wire that will control both.

FYI: the wires I'm splicing are located at the rear of the jeep inside a white plastic channel at the edge of the rug under the plastic trim.
  • I have a 2004 liberty and have had NUMEROUS issues with this!! No repair shop has been able to diagnose what causes it. When it first happened, they thought it was just a few spark plugs, and they replaced the coil pack. It's always my radio/clock, locks, and interior overhead lights. Then eventually after a few days it'll take the dash lights and possibly the high beams with it. It makes a weird sound when it happens-kind of like having a stone or acorn hit the car and drop a few times. Unfortunately, i've had this repaired-this week will make it the 4th or 5th time since I bought it in November 2003!!! VERY frustrating but repairable. THe sparks and coil pack themselves aren;'t that expensive-it's the time it takes for someone to diagnose the possible problem and the time it takes to fix it and double check it that really adds up$$.
    Let me know if someone finds something else to be the cause of it-i'd love to know-i like my jeep a lot, but unfortunately, next car will probably be something else.
  • I have a 2003 Jeep Libetry and have a problem I haven't read anything about or at least couldn't find anyone with my problem.. My interior lights remain on when driving the jeep. Ok I know some of you'all might think turn of the interior light switch but trust me thats been tried till I was red faced and ready to pop. Hope someone out there has the answer to my problem..
  • yakersyakers Posts: 10
    A defective interior light switch?
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    If you don't see the word 'door' warning you on the console, it should be a switch, harness or solid state relay problem. You have to start playing with the connectors of the wiring harness to isolate the problem.
  • My 2003 liberty is doing this too! It takes about 15-20min of driving then it will do it. Dash lights stay on. Blinker lights stay on inside and out. Local dealer no help. They say the switch might need replacing, but he was not 100% sure. let me know if you ever found a cause.
  • When i came home in my 03 liberty and turnit off the clicking sound appeared and the only way to stop it was to start the jeep and turn it off again . What can this be?
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    Could you try to switch off every accessory except the engine, wait 5 seconds to make sure they really went off and then turn off the engine?
    I also have recurrent erratic electrical conditions when the ambient humidity is low. I just live with it :(
  • 2004 Liberty Limited. The battery light came on breifly the other day. The gauge cluster, and I mean all the lights, came on briefly today. No stalling or anything major, but it sounds like the problem you're describing. Did you get any fixes?
  • I had similar issues with jeep liberty 02. started with sentry key flashing. I finally got the car started and while driving the gauges panel all went to zero then back up. Brought to shop and they said its a short in the the main wire harness that goes along the drivers side floor board. Don't know why they would put wireharness so close to feet and where it gets damp. 1800.00 part $$$
  • I need a new connector (male end, 4-prong) for my right-side after-cat o2 sensor. Please let me know if anyone is parting out a Liberty or knows where I can snag a connector and about 5 inches of wire. Thanks guys!
  • I just purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 2WD with 22,000 miles and it has an electrical problem. The warning lights in the dash just randomly flash on and off and they flash so fast that you cannot usually see which one it was. About every ten minutes or so, any one of the lights will do that. Also, twice the O/D Off light comes on (while stopped in gear or coming to a stop) and it started to blink like someone was playing with the O/D Off button. The last problem with this mystery is chime will sound every so often and none of the warning lights come on to indicate what the chime was for. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Thought I would respond to this because you tipped me off about the passenger lights not working. My gauge cluster quit working the other morning. I checked all the fuses (in the dark) and couldn't find anything. Once I saw this thread, I checked and lo' and behold, my passenger lights weren't working either! I looked up the fuses and saw that number 9 controls the cluster, license plate lamp & the right side running lights. Pulled it again and it was blown! Those fuses are too small... you really have to look at them closely. Hope that helps! :)
  • Hope posting this is the right spot?
    My Liberty, its a diesel, notice right after got it, under where the speedometer area, where it has a blackscreen like, the area that tells you if your in 4wd & such. At the bottom of this it says "TYPE 43" its not lit up, but its always there, although I noticed if its in 4wd it doesn't say this. Took it back to dealer, service shop said theres nothing wrong with it, actually don't think they had a clue either. They didn't have another diesel to check & see if it was on it too. Does anyone else's say this? What does it mean?
    Thnx!
  • Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! puchare
    You nailed it. I have looked over all of the fuses and they all seemed to look good. The problem was that the fuse blew at the base of the fuse link and it was very hard to see. :blush: I changed the fuse and it worked. :)
    I can't believe that I missed it but thanks for the help and thanks for taking the time to post and help me.

Also, does anyone know if daytime running lights came standard on the freedom limited edition? :confuse: I noticed that there is a place for the fuse relay but there isn't a fuse there. I know that sometimes people will pull them out if they don't want lamps on all the time. In any case I was curious and would like to use them if I have them.

Thanks
    G
  • I agree that has got to be one of the dumbest design that any engineer could come up with ( main wire harness under the floor board of driver's side of the vehicle ). I've had my '02 Liberty in the shop about 5 times and had sections of the main wire harness replaced, apparently water had been sitting in there for some length of time and corroded the wires. This is something that should really be a re-call, Chrysler didn't do well with this.
  • I'm sure somebody has already answered this - but - the TYPE 43 is simply the Manufacturer's Model. I was test driving a Liberty and in the late New England afternoon the sun made it seem like it was lit up. I bought it back to the dealer and they explained it. It's printed in a fluorescent red - but it is only a manufacturer's logo. It has no bearing on the vehicle operation or condition.