Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• wezwewezwe Posts: 10
    Had you used the highbeams AT ALL, prior to the flickering, Libertygirl13? I have not had a problem in 4 months, since eliminating TOTAL use of my mine. Unfortunately, living in a somewhat country area, this can prove to be a littel frustrating. I am searching for answers BEFORE bringing it to a dealer and will let everyone know, my progress.

FYI - I have 104,000. miles and have had the issue for about the last 15,000.
  • Thank you, Wezwe, for your good comments :-)
    I hadn't used the highbeams before it happened....Now, I know that it's not my imagination and I'll keep tabs on what else is going on in the car when this happens again. I'm like you, and won't bring my car in for this problem unless it becomes a hazard... I'll post when I have any more info. Thanks!
  • cane59cane59 Posts: 2
    The turn signals and emergency flashers on my 2003 Liberty are not working. When I press the flasher button, it lights very dimly but does not flash. I could not find a flasher relay in the owner's manual. Any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,854
    The combination flasher for this model is integral to the hazard switch located in the center of the instrument panel, just above the radio. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. It cannot be adjusted or repaired.

You might check to see if your directional signals are blinking at a higher rate that usual--this would indicate a bad bulb rather than bad relay.

• cane59cane59 Posts: 2
    Thanks. The signals do not flash at all. I will check out the hazard module and let you know.
  • I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with 56K and the fan stays on after the car is turned off and the key is out of the ignition so I have to ensure that before exiting the vehical that the fan is in the off position if not I have a dead battery. I own other jeep/chrysler products and the fan will only run if the key is in the ignition and in the on position no matter what.

Any Idea's?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,854
    Only thing I can think of to do is go to the Power Distribution Center. There you'll find the heater blower motor relay, and also a spare relay of the same type next to it. If you could switch out the 2 relays---see if that cures the problem.

• I've had my 2003 Jeep Liberty for about three years now. Shortly after I got it the speedometer would drop to zero and then return to normal. I brought it back to dealership twice and both times they told me nothing was wrong with it. Now the the speedometer doesn't work at all. When the air is on the doors won't lock automatically and the temp, RPM, and gas gauge all drop to zero until I turn the air off. Odometer also doesn't work when the air is going. What is going on?
  • i have a 07 with same problem can you test the resistor before replacin it
  • mel82mel82 Posts: 1
    I have an 04 jeep liberty and am experiencing the same problem. The headlights and all interior lights blink off and on quickly, I also hear clicking noises while this ocurs, as I am driving. I too noticed it usually happens when it's cold out. Maybe the weather has something to do with it??? I noticed someone had mentioned their problem stopped after not using their highbeams, I have not used them in a long time, I know that is not the problem for my situation. I am looking for a solution as well, if anyone finds out anything please pass the word!
    Thx :)
  • I have a 2005 Libby Sport, no mods (yet!). I went out yesterday morning, wouldn't start, just fast ticking noise. All the light come on, no problem lights on the console. I charged the battery, started right up, ran fine. No signs that I would take as alternator going out. Left it a couple of hours, started a little slow. Got up this morning, same thing. Interior lights come on, but when I try to start, it just ticks.
    Any ideas what it could be?
    Thank you!!! :cry:
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,350
    Optima Red Top battery symptom... Mine died this way :(
  • Are the interior lights dim after it sits? Sounds like something is drawing current while its sitting and draining the battery.
  • We have the same problem with our '02 Liberty. For us, the thing that always makes the light go out is to activate the turn signal (doesn't matter which direction). Our dealer has been no help either, so if you do discover a solution, I would love to hear about it.
  • tjb2tjb2 Posts: 7
    Turn signal does make the lights go out..and you"re right..the dealer is no help..
  • O.K. coming back to say what happened.
    I feel silly now, LOL! It was the original battery, battery was done for. Replaced the battery, no problems since. :blush:
    I was worried it may be the alternator, I ahve had problems with other vehicles and alterantors, and it always started with ticking... :D
  • I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty the passenger side turn signal and some times the brake light go out. I have replaced the bulb on several occasions but it still goes out. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Sounds like maybe a bad connection in the socket. If there is say a bad ground the bulb will flash on and off very quickly from vibration and pop the bulb. You won't see it because you are driving the truck. Hope this helps.
  • We have a 2005 Jeep Liberty. My wife had taken the car to work and back along with running a few errands with no problems. She goes to leave the house 5 minutes later and won't turn over at all, although some of the lights come on. But, there is very little power - not even enough to lock doors.

I put the key in the door (remote entry won't work) and a red light starts flashing on the dash along with a clicking noise. The clicking sounds like it is coming from the PDC box by the battery. When I turn the key a little, all the dash lights come on flashing. When I disconnect battery, the clicking (and of course the lights) stop. I reconnect the battery, put the key into the ignition and put it in neutral to push the car into the garage. When I get to neutral, all the flashing stops and lights are quite a bit brighter and almost like normal. So, I turn the key to try to start it. The lights all turn off, no clicking noise, no nothing.

I checked all the fuses in the interior and they all seem ok. I am not really sure how to check the fuses in the PDC box by the battery. I tried jumping it with our other car and it just seems dead.

Any ideas where to start? Money is tight right now so I am trying to do as much as I can on my own and will be very appreciative of any guidance.
  • 2 things - remote entry won't work, and the little red light. I would suggest replacing the battery in your key. When I bought my '05 (at a Jeep dealer), they told me about the keys, and there is something in the key that interacts with the computer. If you don't have that, or the battery dies in your key, you won't be able to start it. That's why the replacement keys are so expensive, too. I would suggest trying that first.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Thanks for the reply. Would that still be the case if I now have no lights at all? Since I thought it might be the battery and that is pretty easy to pull out, I took it down to Autozone to get it tested. The clerk working there didn't want to test it so he just gave me a brand new battery since mine was still under warranty. When I put it in, I got the same reaction as I did last night - which is also the same reaction I would have if I tried turning the key with the battery disconnected - no lights, no power windows/locks, no turning over, etc.

We have two keys and it wasn't working with either key. But now that you mention the key, I have noticed that the horn has sounded really muffled the past few weeks. Any correlation?
  • Check your ignition relay. Clicking noise was probably a relay not working and your not getting power switched on for the ignition. They act as switches. The PDC box has the ignition relay in it. It was probably starting to burn out and now its fried.
  • That was it. Thanks.
  • No problem.
  • mvqmvq Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 CRD with tow package when applying the brake the left turn signal indicator and front and rear turn signal bulbs light up, the outside bulbs still flash when turned on while braking but the indicator light on the instrument panel stays on anytime the brake is applied. I haven't went to dealer yet if any ideas I would appreciate it.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,350
    Hi, it seems you're missing the ground connection of the left stop light bulb.
  • rickc38rickc38 Posts: 20
    edited March 2010
    Maybe a bad ground or a short possibly in the fusebox? I'm thinking maybe corrosion.
  • rickc38rickc38 Posts: 20
    Or something with the wiring in your tow package.
  • drossovdrossov Posts: 1
    I have an 2002 Jeep Liberty sport and I have the same problem with the left turn indicator illuminating as I apply the brakes. If it is an improper ground, how can I fix it. I found the fuse for the parking lights to be blown so I keep on changing it as a temporary fix...
  • I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and my power seats went from working off and on to not at all. The seats will tilt up and down but not forward and back. My mirrors are doing the exact same thing, went from working fine to off and on, now they dont move at all. The seats and the mirrors stopped at the same time. hope you can help.