Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes You'd Like To See in the A3

2»

Comments

• go4davego4dave Posts: 6
    my driving is very aggressive (Las Vegas, has horrible traffic) and with nowhere to really go on the open highway,, it's all stop and GO LIKE HELL!! Anyway, for the first 11,000 miles,,, i got 21.8 mpg in the summer,, (avg temp 107 degrees F) the rest of the year, i got 22.5 mpg. After the Cold Air Intake and APR Flash, (same drive to work) the first summer i got 23.9mpg, and 24.8 mpg the rest of the year. Now this summer,, as gas prices are going up,,,, i think the fuel makers are cheating us on Octane, and quality (also, with the new % of alcohol allowed) my car is getting about 23.5 mpg (but it's been really windy, and HOT so far this summer) But i still believe,, they are Raping us on Quality of fuel at the pumps.
  • jxbst15jxbst15 Posts: 21
    I think the next A3 will correct most if not all of my fusses over the A3...

-A navigation system worth paying an overinflated price for.
    -A useful USB/iPod integration
    -Aluminum pedals as a standard feature on the sport/S-Line package
    -full leather seats as others mentioned
    -better A/C controls (the click knobs are a pain)
    -better placement of the parking brake
    -turn lights on the rear view mirrors
    -keyless entry/ignition
  • nomowhalenomowhale Posts: 17
    Sorry, you are right. I meant 3.0-liter, double-overhead-cam inline six-cylinder engine that produced 225 horsepower. I like the low end torque on the 2.0T better than on the BMW engine. With the AC on the BMW would struggle a little bit until I got up to 3500 rpms where it would reach its max torque. In my Audi you reach max torque at 1800 rpm and the band stays flat until 5000 rpm. That is impressive.
    I got 25 mpg on my 530i using 93 Octane with a 75-25 mix of highway and local driving (my best guess). I am hoping for 27 or 28mpg with my A3, but time will tell.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "With the AC on the BMW would struggle a little bit until I got up to 3500 rpms where it would reach its max torque."

Really? Did you have a manual or an automatic transmission? I ask because I never even felt the presence of the A/C compressor on my 2002 530i 5-Speed.

Best Regards,.
    Shipo
    I had the manual. I felt just the slightest hesitation below 2000 rpm with the AC on. I wonder how much the horsepower was reduced at that point with the AC on compared to with it off. If I remember correctly the engine produced 175 lbs of torque at 1800 rpm. My 2004 Jetta had 166lbs of torque at 1800rpm and was a much lighter car. My 530i was lacking a little in low end torque in my opinion.

I love BMWs. I had a 2001 323i before the 530i and I think the engine was better matched to size and weight of the car--just my opinion. I never had any hesitation with the AC on in that car. I liked the 323i better than the 530i because of the engine and its handling characteristics.
    Hmmm, interesting. A couple of points:

1) I had a 1999 328i 5-Speed prior to my 5er, and I have to admit, while I liked my 530i MUCH better than the 328i, the 3er had better throttle response, errr, at least for a while.

2) Item #1 isn't completely true. I picked up my 530i in Munich in April of 2002, and while I had the car over in Europe, the throttle response was almost perfect. The only thing I would have changed about the throttle programming Mark 1 was that if I was accelerating up a ramp to the AutoBahn and then partially lifted because of traffic in front of me, and if the current speeds were in excess of 80 mph, the car always felt like it wanted to keep accelerating, forcing me to lift off even further.

3) When I got the car back to the States, my dealer did me a "favor" by flashing the OBC with the latest code. Gee, thanks for nothing. The Mark 2 programming of the drive by wire software sucked so badly that I nearly got into a couple of accidents. Say I'd be turning left out onto a 4-lane road, and say the hole wasn't all that large; I'd nail it, get into the hole, and then lift off throttle so as to transition from acceleration to steady speed. The OBC would sense a sudden decrease in pedal angle and SHUT DOWN the power like RIGHT NOW, even if I still had some pressure on the gas pedal. The problem only got worse when the A/C was on.

4) After hearing from a service technician that, "They all do that" and me responding, "Well, it sure as hell didn't do that in Europe", he looked a bit stunned and went in and checked the release date of the firmware. Sure enough, it was dated right about when my car was delivered to me in the States.

5) He immediately installed what I'll call the Mark 3 version of the firmware and the problems were immediately solved.

That was a long way around of suggesting that maybe you had the Mark 2 code as well.

Back to the A3, the single largest change that I'd love to see in the A3 would be if Audi would humor all of us BMW drivers and switch the car from FWD to RWD. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Wow, interesting stuff about your software issues. Perhaps that was my problem. The thing is I never complained to my mechanic in the two years I had the car. I just dealt with it.

I couldn't agree with you more on the RWD matter. I honestly would not be driving this A3 if the BMW 1-Series was brought over here in a more practical form for where I am in my life. With two young boys (8 and 3), the 128i was an impossibility. The older one ditching his booster seat a few weeks ago was one of the triggers in my decision to trade in the 5 Series. It is amazing how much room those seats take up. The little one will be out of the 5 point harness seat and into a booster in 2 months. I just didn't need such a big car anymore. I actually looked at getting another pre-owned 3 series, but my dealer only had coupes at the price I wanted to pay. I am in enough hot water about this A3 with my wife. If I came home with a 128i I would have been kicked out of the house. I "accidently" bought the A3 and forgot to tell my wife. I have a history with this. I also "accidently" bought my 323i back in 2004 without telling her until after. She had the same reaction both times. She hung up on me when I called her from the car on the way back from the dealer. Boy, was she pissed last week. I got so caught up in the purchase it slipped my mind, and we always talk about big purchases before we do anything. Hopefully, I learned my lesson for my next car.....I doubt it :)

I can't see Audi ever changing the drive configuration of the A3. That would be a very expensive proposition. Do you know any models that were in production that switched their drive configuration from front to back or vice versa? I have not driven a FWD car with any regularity since I had a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero. The understeering was very bad. I don't have the same problem in my A3. I have been very surprised how well it drives despite being FWD.

I am praying my next car is a BMW 123d (five door) sometime in 3 or 4 years, but I am not holding my breath. If that is not going to happen then I will take an A3 with a diesel engine. I suppose that is my problem. I am always thinking of my next car as soon as I get a new one.....

Larry
    While I agree that we're more likely to have the speaking of French banned in Quebec than we are of seeing a RWD variant of the A3, the actual conversion probably isn't as difficult as it might otherwise sound. Given that the A3 can already be had with the Haldex AWD system, we know by default that the rear suspension and body pan is already setup to accept RWD mechanicals. The only issue would be how to divorce the front wheels from the transmission, and how to most efficiently transmit the power from the engine and tranny, which are installed laterally in the car, to the longitudinally mounted drive shaft.

But hey, I can dream can't I? :shades:

Cordialement,
    Shipo
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    should have 220 HP with 25/32 type gas mileage with 2.0 T and Quattro all the while shedding 50 lbs.
    Everything that I've seen indicates no change in power, regardless of whether the car is configured as FWD or AWD, the mileage however does go up a touch with the new CCTA engine.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I know the A3 is supposed to have an Average reliability rating, why can't they make a more reliable car for once? and i agree an AWD option on the 2.0 would be nice, however i am liking the gas mileage.
  • fbtfbt Posts: 3
    After 20,000 miles on my 2007 A3 2.0 manual, S-line the only real complaint I have is with the climate control. It's kind of a bother to bring in just fresh air without the heater coming on and I'm always pushing the buttons trying get it like I want. The AC is a bit weak for Houston summers too.

I'ts my first premium brand car, I'm still a bit amazed at the prices for such simple things like wiper blades, filters and the such.

Okay maybe one more thing, the tires are noisey.
    The road noise depending on the tires can be pronounced. The AC is too weak for this size car, might work good in a Mini Cooper but A3 is bigger and needs better.

The reliability is fantastic and supreme. ONly real problems have been the center storage armrest latch broke on the cover and the rear armrest cupholder isn't working and I guess never was (but didn't check it until now)

48,000 miles and easily the most reliable well built vehicle I've ever had, purchased, and/or rode in.

Top 3 improvements the A3 needs are as follows:

1) Make A/C stronger
    2) Quality control on little details like latches.
    3) Climate Control intuition

And then I'd add

4) A bit more horsepower and torque
    5) a bit more efficiency and gas mileage

You can always you a bit more of #4 and 5 to stay on top of the competition.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Posts: 278
    Engage Soap Box...

For the kind of $$$ they are asking for this vehicle, I can't understand how a car built for driving, could so neglect the music player integration aspect. Honestly, a aux port in the center armrest does nothing to help solve the problem. Exactly how do I change pod casts and albums?

And don't put a cable in the glove box or under my seat. There's no need to be cute and display track/title on the center stack..it's already displayed on my iPod. Offer a cable that will at least pipe sound into the head unit, charge the device, and put the device in a useful location (offer a bracket) and call it day. Don't try to improve the iPod interface by repeating track and title somewhere else...just let the driver use the device as is.

How exactly do my passengers watch a movie up front when, without charging, the battery sucks dry in less than 30 minutes of video and...oh wait, the iPod is in the center console so no one can see it anyway.

Clearly a Euro car that fails to understand American Tech. Lesser cars that cost less seem to get this right. I consider my music, podcasts and audio books to account for more than 50% of my driving experience these days. I was able to add a USA Spec iPod adapter for my current car and it has been awesome. Audi is making it very difficult for me to want this drivers car.

:mad:

Disengage Soap Box...

John
    Audi needs to come to their senses and stop using cheap batteries that die out in 35 months of use and then tell their customer they are only covered for 12 months under warranty.

They need to AT A MINIMUM cover their battery 48 months or 50,000 miles with AT LEAST a prorated proration of a warranty on the battery.

SHAME on Audi for this little nickel & dime trick. That being said, I'd rather have my battery die then some other major or catestrophic failure.

Overall A- at 52,000 miles.
  • mamboomamboo Posts: 1
    Maybe you would like this one, although there are just some minor changes such as reshaped side mirrors and chrome strips on the door handles on the exterior and a new gear selector for the S tronic transmission, a flat-bottomed leather sports steering wheel and others on the inside.
    Check out more details on http://www.auto-power-girl.com/cars-news/2010/04/08/audi/4155/the_2011_audi_a3_s- portback_unveiled_today.html
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,278
    a diesel A3 with a real three-pedal manual transmission?

I may end up in a Golf or Passat, since they (this week, at least) still offer the real manual with the TDI.
    a diesel A3 with a real three-pedal manual transmission?

...and Rear Wheel Drive. :)
    I'd like the S4's 7-speed DSG tranny in an S3 body with 265 HP+ and quattro all wheel drive to hit the US shores in the guise of a 4-door (5-door hatch) S3.
2»
This discussion has been closed.