Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is This the "Day of the Diesel?"

1161718192022»

Comments

• winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    In the EU, AdBlue is quite cheap and not taxed. Will MB charge the owner for refilling the AdBlue tank? Probably not. Look at it this way, several of the luxury automakers are not charging for maintenance (Audi, BMW to name two). They are even replacing wear items like brakes and wiper blades at no cost to the owner.

Luxury car dealers are not the only ones happy to separate you from your money and make you feel good about it. Plenty of non-luxury dealers are very adept at the same thing.
  • "Consider this: Algae's Life is about EATING C02 ....... The FLATUS it passes is: OXYGEN !!!!!"

I think they prefer to use the word exhale :) They also inhale oxygen at night.

I agree that biodiesel from algae has tremendous potential. The wastewater lagoons at Melbourne, Australia (largest in world?) are over 26,000 acres. If they could squeeze 5,000 gallons per acre -- well that's a lot of juice. And, the resulting discharges would have a lot less BOD and TSS (pollution). We have hundred of wastewater lagoons all across the US the could potentially supply algae for biodiesel too. Kind of like killing two stones with one bird!!

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/sewerage/western_treatment_plant/wester- n_treatment_plant.asp
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,165
    The future is already here. The problem is a majority of folks do not believe it!! And any number of OEMS still cling to the lower OCI parameters!!! I routinely run 15,000 to 20,000 miles in gasser motors. I have done it for over 800,000 miles (a number of years is one translation)

With LOW SULFUR DIESEL (LSD up to 500 ppm, with a more regular less than 140 ppm CA diesel) I routinely ran 20,000 to 25,000 mile OCI's. With the advent of ULSD, 30,000 mile OCI's could be routine. (with oil analysis if one is particular) I have read in the literature that the TBN number, important with LSD is almost superfulous with ULSD!! REASON the ULSD runs WAY CLEANER!!! This in turn lets lessens the inevitable degradation of additives. ie stays cleaner longer. This is not to advertise but ELF puts out a 0w30 that meets VW 507.00 or good to go to 30,000 miles OCI.
  • Interesting numbers. I would think that kind of longevity would be of great interest to fleet buyers but less so for car owners.

Just for fun I calculated out how many years it would take a Jetta TDI to reach 1,250,000 miles going 9,000 miles per year (my current rate). I came up with 139 years. I am somewhat of an optimist, but living past 139, I don't know. I think the odds are against me. :surprise:
    Yes I think on some level it is hard to get away from the auto salvage figures of 7-8.5 years average age of the passenger vehicle fleet and 7% of the passenger vehicle fleet hitting the "junk yard" or so. This is what really drives the new car market of 16-17 M new cars per year; also the yearly miles of 12,000 to 15,000 miles by the average US driver. So in that sense 9k is below average.

So to me the SOME of the practical issues are:

1 keep a larger % of (older) cars longer

2 drive same miles but use less fuel: better mpg vehicles

3 drive less and use less fuel

4 increase % and vol of alternative fuel vehicles
    (like alternative diesel etc)

5. cure the revenue addiction at all levels to which governments are hopelessly addicted

6. etc etc
    There are a couple of things of interest (in my opinion) in no particular order.

Given the salvage rate, the mileage mics out to 84,000 miles to 125,500. Given your (longevity 600,000 miles) gasser post!!? Given a TDI or diesel of 1,250,000!!??

Making new cars are RESOURCEs intense or intensely consumptive VS doing the repairs needed to keep an older car on the road

It is almost idiotically more resources intense VS building a car than is designed to LAST say 14-16 years/210,000 to 240,000 miles instead of 1 miles INXS of the normal warranty period, i.e., my 2004 Honda Civic of 3 years and 36,000 miles?

If one does not know or see that the energy issue is absolutely central, I could go on for pages just in numbered examples. Trust me you won't want me to do that!!? :)
  • MASS TRANSIT! That would kill this discussion on whether it is better to have a sharp stick stuck in the left eye or in the right eye!

But the messianic tearing of garments, the gnashing of teeth, the threats of ??, the ranting, the hyperbole, the "how many angels can dance on the head of a diesel" the flat out fairy tales, the back tracking, contradictions, inanities, non sequiters, the eight decimal point pointless posts, interspersed by the occasionally informative would be hard to replace; and the entertainment value is priceless!

I wouldn't miss it. Keep on drilling!!
    You should really spend more time (not on here but say) in San Francisco's Municipal Railway system/s. They own the rights to the water, (and in effect the cost of electrical generation is ZERO), own literally a world destination international airport and STILL lose money on the electric MASS TRANSPORTATION, specifically; cable cars (INXS of 100 years old), electric trolley buses and electric light rail.

Indeed the real news is that the "work horse line/s" which some are literally double length busses are in fact (unmitigated) DIESEL busses!!!
    To be fair not many in the country are making money.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,689
    i'm really scratching my head on this one.

what in tarnation is mass transit?? Is that when cars travel in packs down the highway? Or is it just when I carpool?

Oh, I just googled it .... yeah, ain't got none of that where I live.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

"Sorry, hybrid driver, window's closed for carpool lane stickers"

by Gary Richards

"If you just bought a hybrid car but don't yet have your carpool lane sticker, two words: Forget it."...

SJMN Feb 3, 2007 A section

www.mercurynew.com/news

No more,... no go solo. :( :)
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Ruking1,

How does this relate to "is this the day of the diesel?" exactly, again?

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

Doesn't this go in the "Hybrids in the HOV lane" forum?
    Might ask a similar question why you posted an article about diesel vs gasoline!? :)
    Um, because gasoline is pertinent now and if diesel is going to "have it's day" then it's going to be at the expense of gasoline usage.

If this is "the day of the diesel" which we are debating here, then people are going to have to decide if they want to use diesel OR gasoline in their cars and trucks, are they not?
    And/or hybrid included? Quite a HUGE premium for a solo pass? :( :) Now that legislature might kill or let expire the legislation.... Or the legislature is really saying ... ?
    hybrids are gasoline vehicles, until the next advance.

If you want to talk Hybrids in the HOV lane, let's go there.

PS. The high mileage diesels are in that legislation for the HOV lane also. They just did not have any clean enough to be awarded stickers.
    Right and the 85.001 hybrid is still nyet! :) Because I know you are not saying the later ones are not as clean as the 85,000 !! :)
This discussion has been closed.