Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra/Spectra5 Safety Issues

2»

Comments

• Wow smalltown, that's something. Sorry to hear you had the experience, but also glad to read that you are okay, the damage is covered & that you feel that way about the car....good to know that things worked as they should.

Will be interested to hear how things go with the repairs....keep us posted.

Stay safe!
  • Got the car back today to the tune of $4900. The mechanic who worked on it said everything is laid out logically and it was an easy car to work on. Of course he doesn't want me to have another accident, but he would gladly work on a Kia again. What I didn't say before is that I hit the deer on a two-lane road, going about 55 at 9:30 A.M. when deers are supposed to be resting!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    I guess no one bothered to tell the deer that they were supposed to be resting! :surprise: I almost hit two deer that ran onto a two-lane road about the same time of day a week ago. Fortunately I was able to swerve and miss--I really don't want to test the crash-worthiness of my car that much, and my entire family was in the car.
  • Great feedback, smalltown, it's reassuring to hear the mechanic's POV.

Backy, glad to hear your experience was a close call only. Yikes!

All still new for me (~6wks/2300km) so do not yet have any experience on the service side of things. Here's to hoping none arise before my scheduled first appointment in September!

Lovin' my Spectra! :D
  • NOTE: This recall is 5 months old, and only affected a small number of units

Spectra recall info posted on NHTSA website:

Model and Year: KIA/SPECTRA/2005

NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V-183

Component affected: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY

Number of units affected: 368

Recall Date: 4/12/2005

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE STEERING TIE RODS MAY HAVE A MANUFACTURING FLAW THAT AFFECTS THE METALLURGY.

Consequence:
    IF THE ROD CRACKS OR FAILS, LOSS OF VEHICLE STEERING CONTROL MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH

Notes:
    OWNERS WERE NOTIFIED BY TELEPHONE ON APRIL 8, 2005. AN ADDITIONAL LETTER IS BEING SENT TO OWNERS WHO HAVE NOT TAKEN THEIR VEHICLES IN FOR REPAIR. THIS LETTER IS EXPECTED TO BE MAILED DURING MAY 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.

KIA RECALL NO. SC-047. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.

DATES OF MANUFACTURE: 02/22/2005 thru 03/28/2005

No injuries or litigation were reported as of May 2005 due to this defect.

The defect was found during a routine final vehicle inspection at the Hwasang manufacturing plant on March 23, 2005.

-SM
  • Some additional information to add to the recall info above:

A total of 5,072 vehicles had suspect tie-rods. Only 368 were delivered to dealers and/or customers. 4,704 units were caught and corrected before being sent out to the dealers.

So..... if your car was built during the 2/22/05-3/28/2005 period, you may want to stop by your dealership to see if they can 100% verify that your vehicle was corrected.

-SM
  • I was traveling 55 mph, in my 05 Spectra, when a high school girl pulled in front of me. I had no other choice but to t-bone her into the side. My air bags never deployed. $7600 worth of damage was done. Even the seatbelt locked up so tight that they had to replace it. I only walked out with inner chest contusions but was real surprised that the airbags did not deploy. But I was okay and the car was fixed.
  • Has anyone experienced the driver seat metal bracket snapping? Mine did and Kia is trying to not be responsible for it.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Talk with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America about building the Kia brand in the U.S. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia's quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace.

Don't miss your chance to chat with Ian Beavis, a veteran in the automotive industry the inside questions you want to know.

Please join us for this chat with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America tonight from 6-7pm PT, 9-10pm ET

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

2»
This discussion has been closed.