Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• I have the same problem. They replaced my instrument cluster twice. Then the dealer received a note from pontiac saying their accuracy rating on their speedometer can be +-4 MPH. I have the bulletin. This is crud.

I'm going to start to call the state and see if I can get a consumer advocate group on them. Maybe they will fix it if they get enough negative publicity
  • I got as far as the state attorney general. I learned the legal standard is 5% variance in speedometer accuracy. I think if I had sent better documentation, such as at 35MPH, my speedo still reads 39, so at that low speed the difference is way over 5%, they would have pursued the complaint. Instead they sent me info on lemon law. I'm guessing GM doesn't care because if they can delay a recall, they are saving money.
  • I filed a product liability issue with Pontiac. They called me back and said their speedometer can be +- 5mph off. They are not going to do anything about it. The dude I finally got to (a Team Supervisor) would not pass me up the chain or give me any number to call in quality.

Dealer has advised me to file a lemon law complaint which I have done. We all need to do this to put pressure on pontiac and to let people know that they can expect to live this type of quality.

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

Easy to file and after the answer I received, it wasn't even a choice

No wonder GM is heading down the tubes
  • I filed a product liability issue with Pontiac. They called me back and said their speedometer can be +- 5mph off. They are not going to do anything about it. The dude I finally got to (a Team Supervisor) would not pass me up the chain or give me any number to call in quality.

Dealer has advised me to file a lemon law complaint which I have done. We all need to do this to put pressure on pontiac and to let people know that they can expect to live this type of quality.

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

Easy to file and after the answer I received, it wasn't even a choice
  • This ticks me off enough to complain, but if GM isn't going to replace the speedometer, I don't want to file a lemon law complaint and have to part with my car. I still love driving it. The worst thing is, if I sell it later, it's a liability. I've been using my GPS to gauge my speed.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Posts: 117
    I currently own a 2003 Vibe. It has been a very dependable car. I would like to move up to a 2009 BUT I have promised myself I will get a quieter car. My 03 has terrrible wind noise (starts at 40 mph) and tire roar. I do not want to buy the same problems. Last week I test drove a 2.4l with Goodyear RS-A tires. Am I wrong or are these tires LOUD on coarse pavement? Maybe even louder than my 03 tires. Wind noise did seem somewhat better... but still there. Bottomline: Will I be making the same mistake all over again??? My other choices are going to be a Malibu, Mazda3 5door, or Mazda5. I want quiet !!! :)
  • We had an 04 Vibe and had a LOT of trouble keeping the tires from cupping starting about 25,000 miles. Happened with the original Goodyears as well as replacement tires. They howled like a banshee on the highway when they were cupped. Balance and alignment from a reputable shop did not help. After wrecking that one at 105,000, we bought an 09 Vibe (base model) with Goodyear RSA. So far, this car is quiet and we like it a lot.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Posts: 117
    09 Vibe is definitely quieter than 03.
    I might try a wind deflector for my 03 moonroof to see if that helps.
    I was surprised you found the RS-As quiet.
    I drove an 09 and thought the tires roared...
    My guess is the tires do better on some pavements...
    worse on other pavements.
    My next car will likely be a Certified CR-V...
    We now own 2 "orphaned" brands... Olds & Pontiac!
  • Why do you say that Pontiac is orphaned? I haven't heard anything about GM not making Pontiacs unless you are assuming GM is going under.

On the '09 you drove - was it the base model (1.8 L) or one of the upper models with wider tires?
  • loosenutloosenut Posts: 165
    time to wake up and smell the exaust fumes...with the way the exec's at "general malfunction" run things,and IF they survive this slower market-pontiac,and especially the "collage" of parts that come together to make a really nice car that the VIBE is,with it's toyota driveline and g.m. body..
    -while the final product is a pretty good one,and allowing the "buy american" croud the ability to get the dependability of a toyota,while wearing a "made in america,well-final assembly in america" badge,pontiac ain't got mutch left to distinguish itself from buick or chevy..rember the toy-let??-80's model sold under the chevy brand,as a "nova" a 4 door econo-box with a 1.5 or 2 liter toyota motor..they ran good,just not verry exciting-unlike the vibe..
    --vibe gt,with some tweaking,COULD run with subaru's wrx..,but i dunno..gm's treading water right now..i'd like to see the vibe platform survive with a hybrid ,or hydrogen cell, or SOMETHING more future-thinking,rather than regressing to the same stuff they've been shoving down our throats for the last twenty-some years..give us something NEW to get excited about,and american car buyers might start buying again!!
  • I was wondering... How do I get to the rear wheel bearings so I can check them and grease them?

Thanks
  • What is the tire pressure for a 2006 Pontiac Vibe. Thank you!
  • loosenutloosenut Posts: 165
    There is a sticker in the door jamb or the glove box door that should tell you what the folks who built it recommended.. 32is probably right
  • Good morning lorena59,
    A Tire and Loading Information label is attached to the vehicle’s center pillar (B-pillar), below the driver’s door latch. This label shows your vehicle’s original equipment tires and the correct inflation pressures for your tires when they are cold. The recommended cold tire inflation pressure, shown on the label, is the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicle’s maximum load carrying capacity. For additional information regarding how much weight your vehicle can carry, and an example of the tire and loading information label, see Loading Your Vehicle on page 4-31.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I've had 2 Vibes (one currently) and have always run 35 lbs. Tire wear is as expected - no extra wear on the center of the tread that would indicate over-inflation. Some gas mileage increase is noted from the slightly higher pressure. The small tires on a Vibe go around a lot of times in a mile, so I cannot say I'm over exited about the miles I get before they wear out!

Too bad Chevrolet did not take over the partnership with Toyota after the demise of Pontiac to keep the Vibe available. Maybe it could have been a revival of the Chevette nameplate!!
  • stan92stan92 Posts: 1

I have a Pontiac 2009 Vibe that has developed a rotational noise in one of the front wheels...it makes a row row row sound at speeds around 20-30 MPH...both front wheel bearings have been replaced and the wheels aligned....what is wrong with my Vibe to cause this sound?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057

@stan92 said: I have a Pontiac 2009 Vibe that has developed a rotational noise in one of the front wheels...it makes a row row row sound at speeds around 20-30 MPH...both front wheel bearings have been replaced and the wheels aligned....what is wrong with my Vibe to cause this sound?

Hi stan92,

Did you have the front wheel bearings repaired at the dealership recently? I only ask because there is a 12 month/12k mile parts warranty once a repair is performed. If you're interested in having a dealership check into this for you, I'd be happy to reach out to them on your behalf. Please private message me your contact information, VIN, mileage and preferred dealership if I can be of assistance.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048

@stan92 said: I have a Pontiac 2009 Vibe that has developed a rotational noise in one of the front wheels...it makes a row row row sound at speeds around 20-30 MPH...both front wheel bearings have been replaced and the wheels aligned....what is wrong with my Vibe to cause this sound?

If both front bearing hubs have been replaced, you probably heard a noise from one of them. Sometimes bearing noises differ. This may be a bearing even if it's different than the original noise you might have heard from a defective bearing.

The replacements should be under warranty.

However, I would look very carefully at the tires. If they are 4-5 years or more old, the tread may have hardened and the tread may not have worn evenly. You may be hearing noise from that. Were the wheels switched from front to back for a rotation recently so that you are now hearing a noise from the tire tread while you didn't hear it on the rear?

If you didn't have a tire rotation, I would suggest having a tire store rotate them or go to the place that did your wheel bearings and have them check the replacement bearings and rotate the tires front to back for you. Then see if the noise has left, changed, or is still there.

If it's still there, then bearings... If it left, take a close look at tires, life, and replacement.

• capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793

A second vote that the tires are the source of the noise - and the tires are generating that noise due to irregular wear - and the irregular wear is due to a misalignment condition.

You need to replace the tires to get rid of that noise or put up with it until you do. Rotating will help, but that only moves the problem tires from a sensitive position to an insensitive one. That really isn't a "fix".

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854

Count me on the "good chance it's a tire" team, especially with the noise coming in a certain speed range after the bearings have been replaced. At the very least, rotating the tires will either move the noise and confirm it's a tire, or the noise will remain where it is and confirm that a replacement bearing may be bad. And it's the cheapest first step

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews