Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe Engine Questions

Comments

• My 2003 all wheel drive vibe has been the worst car I have ever owned.
  • OK so here is what happened. I took my Vibe to the dealers mechanic and they diagnosed a split emissions hose and dirty emissions valve. The hose was replaced and the valve is on order. So far the dealer has been honoring his warranty. I need to call this week if I don't hear from the mechanic. I hope your situation is an easy fix like this one appears to be.
  • Thanks for letting me know. Mine ended up being a loose gas cap. I think. I am kinda a wuss, so apparently I wasn't turning it tight enough. I put some fuel injector cleaner in, and some 93 octane gas and made sure it was closed. I had the auto zone dude reset my check engine light, and i just took a 3 hour trip in it without it coming back on. Hopefully the auto zone dude didn't break the check engine light :)
  • My 2004 Vibe is an automatic transmission but on cold mornings the idle is at 2500 RPM until it warms up. I have recently taken it to the dealership and they are suggesting changing the IAC valve. They have told me there is no guarantee this will fix the problem since the check engine light did not come on which indicates there is not a problem, but I know my car and I know there is a problem. I looked up the IAC valve (Idle Air Control) and these are to be cleaned every 40,000 miles, which I did not know, and if it fails or is sluggish the computer system in the car may not detect it. I will let you know when I get my car back if this corrects the problem.
  • I bought a 2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD with 140k miles on it last April. After 2 months I had the engine oil warning light come on due to low oil. They Chrysler dealership I took it to diagnosed the problem as a faulty PCV Valve if I recall correctly. The engine still lost oil and when I took it back they said the engine was still burning oil and would need to be replaced. Since then I've been driving it and putting oil into it. Now the catalytic converter has gone bad too and I can't get up to highway speeds anymore. Its a shame since the rest of the car is in such good condition.

We also have a 1996 Toyota Avalon which has had a lot of work done on its engine. The bottom of the car has rusting problems and has had its fuel line and exhaust system replaced. The car still runs pretty good though and Avalons can last a very long time. We are probably going to trade/sell both cars and buy a different used car, hopefully on with fewer miles on it.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    edited January 2011
    Wow, there is something wrong with this website. My message continues to disappear. I'll try one more time: The 2003 Vibe, and the Corolla engine in general, sure does burn oil. I was puting in two quarts in between oil changes. It was a matter of time before the cat got clogged with the extra soot being burned. I was suprised it continued to pass inspection, but we ended up giving the car away. I am done with Toyota, and have moved on to Hyundai. I recommend you look at the Hyundai Elantra Touring to replace the Vibe. It is a far superior car to even the 2009 Vibe I own.
  • As of today, and many phone calls later, I am still waiting for the Dealerships Mechanic to order and install the needed part. Has anyone else had extensive wait times for VIBE parts or is this dealer and his mechanic totally nonfunctional.

I am also wondering if this malfunction is the same problem described in TSB 050604074. Has anyone had their PCM [power-train control module] replaced?
  • This is out of hand. I took my vibe back to the place I bought it for the 4th time Wed. morning. He said he bought the part himself and was taking the car to his mechanic that morning. I called in once a day for a progress report and his mechanic said he consulted with the GM dealer and was making the repair. Now it is Friday night and still no car. This is looking very bad for GM when they can't even figure out what is wrong with their own cars. The Vibe will forever be the black eye GM never recovered from. I really feel bad for anybody who bought GM stock. Their dealerships are worthless for providing service.
  • Somewhere I discussed my problem with my '07 Vibe. About a year ago, it was towed to the Pontiac dealer after it would not run. The computer control module (may have a different title) that controls most engine functions had failed. The dealer replaced it that day. The down time was one day. The part in question is subject to a tentative recall. I received the letter from Pontiac. Since mine has been replaced, I may not be affected. The part was made by Delphi (must be another bankrupt GM parts supplier). The upcoming recall affects Toyota Corollas and Matrixes as well. Delphi may not be selling parts if this quality disaster is typical of their engineering and production talents. The Vibe is the latest, and probably the last, of my four GM vehicles. It is the only one that had to be towed to the dealer. The other three had more than their share of problems, however. Good luck with what otherwise is a good vehicle.
  • lubeexpertlubeexpert Posts: 16
    edited January 2011
    Wish I'd have seen this earlier, hope you still have your little Vibe. I own a '03 Vibe in which I change the Oil & Filter only once each year & it doesn't use or loose any oil. Suggest you do a complete Engine Flush, that will very likely solve your problem. For more details please contact me via my email:
    amsoilcertified@yahoo.com
    I'll be glad to give you step-by-step instructions.
    I can almost promise this will eliminate all oil burning/loss.
  • hardcharger43,

Thanks for the update. Do you know if a recall number has been assigned yet? If available the recall # and the production number of the defective part would be of great help to the rest of us who are searching for info on this. I do remember seeing the name Delphi some place else. I think this may be the part that is causing my problem. Other possible names I've seen for this part are PCM [Power Train Control Module] and ECM [Engine Control Module].
  • My check engine light went on this morning. I have a 2006 Vibe, i checked the oil and it was low so i added 2 qts (its been a while since i changed oil)..
    i went to Autozone and the guy there said the computer said it was some sort of "emissions" prob. I just filled up yesterday so im thinking i didn't tighten the cap enough, so i did. How long does it take for the light to reset itself?
    No sure what else it could be.. and driving with that light on freaks me out. I have 62k miles on it.

thanks in advance for your help.
  • The light should go off immediately. My 2003 Vibe Check Engine light came on & it turned out that it was the O2 sensor in the exhaust. I added a bottle of AMSOIL Performance Improver (PI) & after driving about 20 miles it went out. I believe the same will work for you.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    geez, enough of the advertising already. Back to planet earth: if your CEL is because of you not tightening the gas cap, it will take several cycles of the engine (on/off) before it goes off. I does not go off immediately.
  • thank you so much!
  • Not advertising. Just letting her know what I did to solve the same in my Vibe. She can at least try it before doing something far more expensive.
    And if the cause is just a lose gas cap, according to the shop who diagnosed my O2 sensor problem, the light should go out the next time it's started after tightening the cap.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    whirlygirl72,
    I would recommend taking your vehicle to your dealer of choice.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rwspitzrwspitz Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I have a 2004 Vibe with 200,000 miles and only have done brakes, tires, and oil changes. Just replaced the Timing chain and water pump as a preventiive measure, but there was nothing wrong with them at the time. Great Car!
  • The above problem was eventually resolved by replacing an evap emission canister.
  • After the initial CEL/ODB code reported earlier and having the Engine Control Module replaced under recall I have had about a year and a half of trouble free driving. Though I did have to replace the license plate light for inspection.

Now the CEL is giving ODB codes PO171 & PO453 as read by Pep Boys Auto Parts. Has anyone had experience with this code combination? Can this be fixed DIY or will it cost a pile of money at the dealership? :confuse: :sick: