Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1981 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe

2»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    I think hearses are just plain creepy!

There is a club around here and they attend the local car shows and park them there!

Disgusting!
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,599
    I think hearses are just plain creepy!

Well in my case, the fascination has nothing to do with death or anything morbid like that. Although if I ever do get one, I'm going to see if the personalized license plate "Expired" is available! :shades:

I think with me it's just that I like big cars, and I always thought that the custom work that goes into a hearse or ambulance, such as the raised roof and extended wheelbase, is kinda neat. And there's just something about a '61-62 Cadillac that I think lends itself very well to hearse styling.

Superior built a good looking '61 Pontiac ambulance/hearse, too. And you wanna hear morbid? They tried marketing these things to the general public for awhile as camping vehicles. They called them Superior Vacation Specials! I imagine that the trips people took in them must have been heavenly.

Unfortunately, I don't think a hearse/ambulance would be very practical for me as a driver, though. And it's not the length that's the problem. The few that I've sat in have that partition at the B-pillar, right behind the front seat, and it keeps the seat from going back as far as it normally would.

One year there was a 1957 DeSoto ambulance at Carlisle, and the owner let me sit in it. It was way cool, but there's no way I would've been able to drive it comfortably. There's an early 80's Buick Electra/LeSabre hearse too, and it has the same problem. Alas, I imagine a 1961-62 Cadillac would have the same problem?

I guess most hearse and ambulance drivers were pretty short back in the day?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,362
    The same applies to most limousines. My buddy has a limo business and for quite awhile, he had a couple of Cadillac Formals with the division window. Legroom up front was terrible. Lucky for him, he's only about 5'6".
2»
This discussion has been closed.