Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• mount1mount1 Posts: 22
    Thanks for passing on the e-mail. I sent a note on to "communications" as well to see if I could get some more insider insight. I'll follow-up here when/if I do. All the best.

-mount1

PS: GM press releases, marketing materials, sales reports, etc. - can all be found under ....

http://media.gm.com/news/

...its a good site to check from time to time.

• frankfx1frankfx1 Posts: 14
    mount1 and bshefmire...thanks for the posts and URL's!
    This is great info for me and I never knew this existed on
    line.

Regards
    Joe
  • Hope this works?

If not head on over to

http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance-discussion.html and check out the post from yesterday titled "2nd shot better of wheels"

Brad

• joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    But it needs more Rubber around them...
  • 10x10x Posts: 1
    I'm taking the big step to buy an AV. Is the bed water tight with the hard covers in place? Has anyone experienced any leaks? If covers are off and if it rains will water run into front cab? Local dealers say "I'm pretty sure it won't but it new to us too."
  • (Who is Led Zepplin?) for $300 Alex....

Asking a salesperson? yeah, right!

On one of my test drives I stopped by the local "wishy wash" and gave it a good once over. I did this with everything open (midgate down, window stowed, hardcover panels off). There are 2 drain holes on either side of the bed that work pretty well (gotta keep em cleaned out I suppose?). Also, located near the forward cabin on the truck bed is a "dam" of sorts that stops any water from moving forward. I also noticed the bed is somewhat "sloped away from the forward cabin.

I did not test the bed with the hardpanel covers on because I did not have them with me.

I also understand there have been major complaints about the sunroofs leaking in the Burbs and Tahoes.

check out this link

http://suv.s5.com/defect.htm

Keep us posted about your AV!

Brad in SoCal

• jkoontzjkoontz Posts: 3
    I can't decide between the white one or the pewter one. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
  • Hey all,
    I just talked to my neighbor who works for GM on the Avalanche. He told me that they are putting together some sort of ride to coincide with the big Cruise next week. He said they are doing it on Thursday night around 5 and they are trying to get together something like 30-40 Avalanches together to ride a bunch of their employees around Woodward and then have a party at Poppleton Park (15 mile and Woodward) after their cruise. I think I will be there just to see that many Avalanches and I suggest anyone in the Detroit area that is thinking about heading down there to check this out.
  • robbins_robbins_ Posts: 37
    Ok, coming up on a month now and have been is several heavy storms plus a few washes. First, the sunroof doesn't leak, I think that is a solved issue. As for the bed, I have yet to have more than a few drops inside the cargo area and I have checked just after the storm. I also have a driveway which forces it to point downhill. No water inside the cab or bed. As far as leaks with the covers off, don't know, haven't tested. There is a drain grate at the midgate and, as stated above, 4 drain holes (about 2"x1") 2 on each side.

Hope this helps....

Bear
  • Could a few more owners post up some pics in the photo section. I'd like to see some other colos besides blue and silver.
    Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    a red one this weekend up at our lake.

Looked hmmm futuristic. Didnt get a chance to talk to the guy but he was towing a large bass boat.

I liked the silver one i seen but when i seen this red one i dont know maybe it was the color?
  • timfarntimfarn Posts: 289
    OK, so much for the pokes at your grammar. While on a week's vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks, we saw (NOT seen) two around town - white and black. The black one was from a client/dealer of mine (offered to me for $8k over what I am paying). Most Chevy lots had one or two Avs in the front row. I expected to see more on the road through Missouri; we spotted only one on I-70.

The red is loud, seemingly more contrast with the cladding than the white.

Jkoontz, the pewter is more subdued and hides dirt better; the white, when clean, is good looking.
    Let me guess your an english teacher?

Funny thing though i have gotten A's in all my english related classes. To bad im not an english major.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Posts: 262
    Seen in the Sunday Paper that Northridge Chevorlet is selling the AV at INVOICE, every other dealer wants STICKER for them, we'll see what this does to the price of the rest.
    I read Motor Trends feature article on 48 hours in Death Valley.
    The AV was one of the 8 or 9 vehicles. They were happy with the AV
    and were positive on a few catagories of performance, but as
    is usually the case, they slammed the cladding. It seems that
    all authors who reviewed the AV jump on the cladding bashing boat.
    (It must be a right of passage for auto writers...:)

One thing that makes me loose credibity for MT is that they just spent
    48 hours in sand, dirt, and rocks yet they fail to even mention if
    the AV's cladding was effective against off road body damage
    (eg...nicks, dents and scratchs from tossed up rocks and brush)
    I would have loved to hear the verdict on the AV compared to the
    other cladding-less trucks. Not very objective on the part of MT!

Joe
    just educated. With all the A's, tell me that spelling "your" when you meant "you're", and "to" when it should be "too" is just you joking around. Or, maybe it's a good thing you're not an English major.

Bowhunt - If these dealers keep on thinking they can get at or above MSRP, the inventory of Avs on the lots will build. I can't believe that anyone is seeing so much demand that they think they can get sticker. Does Northridge have Avs on the lot?An ad yesterday had financing on the Trailblazer at 3.9% - another brand new model with decent reviews and demand.
    lazyness? Dont feel like typing extra letters or symbols when i dont (don't) need to.

I guess its internet lingo.

you = u
    things like that

some of its joking around (too vs too) and other times its cause its late and im tired (not thinking)

Sorry ill try to do better

Hey an av question how come they dont have the yellow turn signal on the rear lights like the rados?

Ryan
    Ryan, don't you know yellow clashes with the cladding? You aren't an art major, are you?

Seriously, it must just be a styling issue. More of the vehicles coming out recently have all red or even the chrome look with red inserts on the tail lights.

Talking about lights, I know I will like the headlight below the bowtie bar on our Av. A better idea from the GM crew. I blinded more than one driver with the lights from our F150 in their rearview mirror. The 4WD F150 sits so high that the lights shoot right over the trunk lid.
    Nope not an art major.

Engineering major. 2 yrs to go

I thought the yellow turn signals were a safety feature? Kinda wierd they didnt use it on the av. The tahoes, burbs, silverados and most of the new gm vehicles have them if not all
    Thanks, Frank - I'll need to pick up the magazine. Online - Good pics of Death Valley test. 8 vehicles - 4 of them GM models. You can also vote for your choice - Escalade is leading?
    Remember the 'rado design (includes the sub, tahoe, etc.) is three years old. Your 'rado is now officially outdated. The new Trailblazer has red lenses. Maybe you can find all red to update your truck, Babs.

However, you can find yellow on the new Envoy, and others, too. Maufacturer's choice.
    One thing the AV in the MT article was the acceleration
    in the sand. Some thing about the AV gave it the best
    hook up in the sand.
    outdated?

only 16 months old. almost 19K miles on it.

Its not even broken in yet :)
    The realization that your baby is over the hill. Broke-in but not yet broken. You'd better go get yourself an Av.

frankfx - Any other comments from MT on ride, etc. on the Av?
    Yes, they did comment that the ride was suburb.

The lock on the tailgate broke so they had to crawl

into the bed from the cab.

They shredded a tire, but that wasn't the AV's fault.

It really seems to me that they didn't give the AV the

attention it should have had. I want to know about

the cladding (we know all about how ugly it is (allegedly)

but what about its body protection?) .

None of the trucks overheated. The Escalade got close

when idling with AC on in 120F heat.

There are some pictures posted on the MT web page:

http://www.motortrend.com

Also, I have been reading the GM press release for 8/1/01

AV sales are 9419 YTD. I find this encouraging. If any

is intersted, go read that report.

Joe

Joe

Joe

Joe

mine in for an av?

No way only thing right now id trade for is a 2500HD CC.

My brother on the other hand thinks i should buy him an av. haha he better get a job.

Hey question for you guys with leather. Is there a chevy logo stitched into the seats? The red one we seen had leather seats and a bowtie on/by the headrest
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Everyone talks about how well this thing rides. It's my understanding that it's built on a Suburban chassis? Have any of you also driven a new Sub.? Does it not ride just as well? One more comment on the cladding......why not just put it on the 4wd? Same as with the talgate cap, and the bedrail caps on the Sportside. Save that stuff for the work trucks.
This discussion has been closed.