Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    another possibility is how it was secured to the semi truck during transportation?
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    wfbarto:

Thanks for kudo's on the website. I'm really surprised with how much traffic it got today - lot of Chevy Avalanche fans out there.

Unfortunately the long load times you're experiencing is a Netscape rendering problem. It is particularly severe in 4.x versions of the browser.

Netscape doesn't handled nested tables as gracefully as IE, and for some reason the developer is trying to figure out, sometimes in some layouts the Netscape pages just load dog slow.

Sadly I don't have a fix other than use that other bloated product from the evil empire. I'm trying to figure out a work around, spent three hours staring at the HTML and digging around.

Hey - just finding out there is a retro kit available to add steering wheel stereo controls was worth the price of admission today!

Again - thanks for the kudos. I haven't heard anything about the torsion bars, but my dealership's service department is excellent, and sadly thanks to the poor quality in my Pontiac Montana, I'm pretty tight with everyone there so I'll ask.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com

Do you have the screen saver?

• ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    I looked at the pics and it seems they are swirl marks from a buffer.

They have a 3D effect which is indicative of a rotary buffer. These can be fixed. By hand or with a orbital buffer.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Can be removed by using a product called
    LIQUID EBONY...Is black and in a squirt
    bottle. It should be used after buffing
    to remove swirl marks. Usually avail. at
    auto body supply companies . 3M liquid
    machine or hand glaze works great too !
    geo.....who has owned 6 BLACK shiny GM
    trucks!!!!!!.............
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Ryan - you stated about the leveling problem with the low left side: "another possibility is how it was secured to the semi truck during transportation?"

This is true, I thought of this also. But what would cause it to stay this way after the truck was unsecured, unloaded and driven for 5,000 miles?! The truck is not out of alignment and it seems to track fairly straight. It just looks lopsided - so I am puzzled!

David - on your new web site - I did visit it with Internet Explorer and the message board worked fine. If you come up with a fix for Netscape, please let us know here at Town Hall. There are a couple of good topic lines that I want to follow up on when I get a chance. Yes, I did download the screen saver and it is very nice. Promise you will put together more pictures of reader's rides into a screensaver when you get them! Any feedback you can get from your dealer on the torsion bar/leveling issue would be nice also. Once again - nice web site Thanks!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    ****Details*****

When: Saturday Jan 19
    Where: Pine Barrens (Lebanon State Forest, NJ)
    Meet: Intersection of Rte 70 and 72 near Whiting, NJ
    Time: 10:45-11am
    Who: AWD/4wd Vehicles (no 2wd please)
    What: Off-road Trail Ride through the barrens, will be fun for all, we encourage Subarus, Rav4s, CRVs, Isuzus, Highlanders, 4-runners, Santa Fe, Explorers, etc.

****Details****
    When I go into my dealer on Monday I'll ask about the torsion bars. My Av isn't leaning at all, but it does have a pull to the left (hence the free alignment). It also appears that the bulb for the backlighting on the passenger side seat warmer has failed. Oh well - the quest to find the "perfect 30-day delivery" continues (and my Av missed it by less than a week).

Thanks for the kudos on the site - everyone has had such positive things to say which is great - I'm really surprised at the interest. I've had almost 100 screen savers downloaded in the last three days.

To answer your question - YES - my plan is to put together additional screen savers as people submit photos (if they submit photos). I'm working on the forum so that pictures can be uploaded right to my site versus sending them to me via e-mail. I have an APS film reader and a flat bed scanner so I can take images or even rolls of developed APS film. I've also got a flash media card reader and a Jaz drive so I can take things in almost any format.

Still no word AT ALL from the developer on the Netscape problem. Very frustrating because I've used their code in the past and have never had this problem (but I've heard about this problem). What makes it worse is that this is the simplest, cleanest template I've ever done, and it takes the longest to load!

Feel free to jump in on the threads in the forum - you don't have to register to post, guests have full access. I've got a couple of stories pending that should be up in a couple of weeks on people doing mods to their Av's.

I'm also working on a knowledge base and I finished the very first section last night, power windows, locks, keyless entry, and alarm system. I'll keep breaking it down that way and if I can do one section a night it should be done in about three weeks.

I've got to get back to my real job...

• gessgess Member Posts: 90
    Sort of stumbled on your post here. You didn't get rid of the Odyssey did you? Heaven forbid. :o
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    A dealer offer to sell any of their Ava at $500 over actual invoice and I get the additional $2,002 discount (GM rebate). Is this a good deal? I read a few others who can get one at or below invoice. I haven't seen many Internet Dealers who are willing to go lower. I live in N CA.
  • satmikesatmike Member Posts: 2
    Long time reader first time poster. I am trying to find out more about the talk it up program. I have a friend who's brother is a G M employee and he can not find anything about the program. By the way bought my av on 01-02-02 last day of good finance rates, Z66 blue w/convienece package sticker of $33036 discounted $6k over the phone. Just installed a magnaflow muffler, sounds great. I hope to increase mpg 5 to 10%. still need to get k&n air filter.
  • hultzgerhultzger Member Posts: 9
    Most of my dealings with dealers in the East Bay was 4% over invoice. I ended up buying my Z66 in the central valley at invoice. So depending on where in N CA you are in could be a good deal or there are better ones out there(see satmike's post #1461, although we don't know where he is).

Rick
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    I heard the talk it up program sometimes go by other names. I would call the toll free number and ask or email GM. If I recall correctly the phone number was 877-825-5488 (spell it out leave out the p). I used this rebate in PA
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the info! it seems other parts of the country including S CA have better deals than N CA. I wonder why.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    The laws of supply and demand! Probably all the N Ca people are buying like crazy.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    nope, we still have them both. Averageing 1k miles per month each. I never planned to commute in my LRR but it is really hard to hop into my truck when the S is sitting there. We still love the Odyssey, but have been over here reading the AV owners comments, looking for a replacement for my truck. Which unless I can part with the LRR, will have to be in a few more years.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    Mine also "leans" to the left! Has this been something "acknowledged" by GM? I sure am seeing lots of post about it.
    Anyone gotten a service dept fix? What was done?

Thanks
    Brad
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    Gotcha. Catch ya later. We be hangin in the roadside cafe btw. Buncha rednecks in there. :)
  • rmack311rmack311 Member Posts: 4
    am picking up my av on tuesday jan 22, have a few questions...
    1- did anybody have a tv/dvd installed in theirs?
    2-any good web sites for access.
    3-how does everyone like it i had a durango was wondering how much bigger the av was going to feel?
  • ahhnuldahhnuld Member Posts: 6
    I am very pleased with mine. First GM product I have owned, quality is good, not as good as Toyota, but happy with what I received for the money. Very roomy inside. Its like driving a Lazyboy in leather. You can park your Durango inside it.

Here are a couple of good sites I have found so far:

http://www.wooddashfactory.com/index.cfm

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/

http://www.truckautoaccessories.com/

• hultzgerhultzger Member Posts: 9
    The dealer in Concord "claimed" to have sold 4 Avy's the day before I visited him in late December. So ygmn must be right, people must be buying like crazy. But, where are they? I've only seen a couple on the road.
    Technically I've seen three, but the red one I've spotted I'm convinced is the same one - it was covered in filth both times (how can you treat a $38.5K vehicle that way???).

I saw my second one only today, a black Z-71 with roof rack and assist steps headed the other way on 104. My dealer claims to have sold a boat load of them too, but the same black North Face edition 1500 has been sitting on the showroom floor for close to three months.

If people are buying them up furiously - I'm not seeing them. I have a feeling that with the Truck of the Year award, the Popular Science Award, and a solid change of getting Candaian and North American vehicle of the year, interest is going to only increase.

Just my two cents worth. BTW - as I listed on the what did you pay forum I got mine for below invoice, got $1,000 bonus cash, and the great financing rate AND I did not take delivery off of what was on the dealer's lot - I made them do a dealer swap to get exactly what I wanted. If dealers asking for ADM in THIS economy are out of their freakin' minds - go find another dealer that will work with you. If you've REALLY got the time, based on what I'm reading here Texas dealers are about giving them away. You could do the deal, fly one way (also dirt cheap) and have a lazy week's vacation driving your Avalanche back through the heart of National Park Country in Utah -- just an idea!

Visit the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America at:

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Where I live, there are several Avs running around, besides the dozen or so sitting on the local dealers's lot. As for how guys run around with a filthy truck, well, currently it's about 8 degrees out and with all the road salt and some snow, it's not easy keeping them clean. I, myself,give the truck a once a week bath to keep it clean, but in Wisconsin, it may only last a day or so now in winter.
  • satmikesatmike Member Posts: 2
    wanted to know if any one else has had this problem, while waiting to pick my son from school i sat in drive for about two minutes and when i started to go it felt like my trans was locked up until i gave it a little more gas and then it loosened up and drove normal. i owned a 00 gmc sierra and noticed the same problem about 6 or 7 times over the 60,000 miles i put on it. any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. btw i am in so cal and still can find good deals on the av.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I get all excited when I see an Av here in NJ because I see so few of them. I saw a white Av twice, on the same highway ramp, but 2 weeks apart!

I got to see several Av's at the Philadelphia Auto Show two weeks ago. They had a Z66 and a North Face edition for people to get in, and another model up on a platform for show only. They also had a mockup of the midgate for demonstration. I realize that using the midgate is pretty quick, but when you're standing right next to the midgate with no vehicle frame around you, it takes all of 3 seconds to fold the seat down and drop the midgate. It's a little more involved if you're actually in an Av trying to do it!

I keep searching GMBuyPower site but can't find a Z66 within 30 miles of my home. Yet the Z-71's just sit on the dealer lots for months on end. I'm wondering if I could get a better price from the dealer without mentioning the GM Supplier discount first.

And I NEVER see any red Avs anywhere, which is my preferred color. Although other colors are pretty nice as well. The nearest Red Z66 model with the options I want is in downtown Philadelphia and I don't want to be going there to buy a vehicle!
    I realize that the curve for the 4-WD model is an extra $3,000 and then the Z-71 package is another $850 or so - but personally I'd buy the 4-WD model over the 2-WD model. I firmly believe that the 4-WD models will hold their resell value better in the end, and you'll get a little more return on the depreciating asset when it is all said and done.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I see relatively few Avs on the road around here in the San Diego area. There are a few but not many. Compared to the Chevy/Ford/Dodge fullsize trucks the number of Avs on the road is minuscule.

There are way more Tundra's than Avs also.

Just an observation. I doubt anyone will respond though because I drive a Tundra and apparently I have nothing to add to this discussion.
    A great chance to remind people just why the Chevrolet Avalanche is so much better than the Toyota Tundra Access Cab. Think I'm just making smoke? Well compare the facts for yourself:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/versus_toyota_tundra_access_cab.html

It's very clear whether you compare base model to base model, or equip the Toytota with thousands of dollars of options to get close to Avalanche, the Chevrolet Avalanche still represents the better deal and the better package.

Thanks for letting me plug my website!

BTW - How long has the Tundra been on sale? Three, four years? How long has the Avalanche been on sale in mass production and distribution? Three, four months? Of course you're not going to see many of them.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you about which vehicle is better. Clearly there would be no winner and you're not going change my mind.

Yes, you are correct that the Av hasn't been out very long and no doubt that is part of the reason you don't see many on the road.

The Tundra has been out for 2 years. Not 3 or 4.
    tundra only been out 2 yrs?

hmmm

model yrs for the tundra

looks like 3 to me
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I personally am not looking to buy an Avalanche, but in a paper from the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, a dealer had new '02 4x4's at $27,900. Seems like a good price.
    Well, considering that 2002 just started I don't think you can say that it has been a full year.
    i dont know when toyota starts their 02 model yr but for chevy it starts end of july when the new models (trucks) come out
    Even so, that would be two and a half years, not 3 and certainly not 4.
    OK folks - the Toyota Tundra hit showroom floors in May of 1999 as a 2000 model. This is a very common practice - case in point the Avalanche hit showroom floors in late May/early June also as a 2002 model. Wide availability of the Avalanche nationally didn't come until August of 2002.

So if the Toyota Tundra became available in May of 1999 it has been on sale for two years and nine months - just shy of three years. Further, the NHTSA recalled 1999 and 2000 Toyota Tundras for electrical system defects. Translation - the Tundra was not only around in 1999, but was built as a 1999 model.

The Avalanche did hit dealers in select parts of the country in May of 2002, and wide distribution in August of 2002 - meaning it has been available widely for five months.

Here is the Toyota Tundra stories:

About May release in 1999

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_offrd/m1185/1999_Jan/53341472/p1/article.jhtml

Safety recall of 1999 Tundra's

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/00/103.htm

Review of Tundra written in July of 1999

http://www.auto.com/reviews/sj_0708_tundra.htm

And if that doesn't convince you - then here is right off of the Toyota PR website stating a June of 1999 roll out:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/mediakit/toyota/2002kit/2002tundra_h.html

You never responded to my feature to feature comparison - but I'll fill in the blanks for you. With out even starting, the Tundra isn't a real crew cab. It's an extended cab truck. Ya' it's got four doors, but the back two are on rear hinges and the doors close together - like other extended cab trucks.

If I equip a 2002 Tundra Access cab which is a smaller truck, with less total passenger room, less total cargo room, less towing capacity, less horsepower, less torque, and has less safety features including not having four-wheel disc brakes, four-wheel anti-lock brakes, side impact air bags, rear window defroster, and heated side view mirrors. This is how it would be equipped:

4x4 Access Cab SR5 4.7L V8 4 Speed Automatic

Option Package C: Cloth Captains Chairs, Convenience Package w/Keyles Entry, 48 State Emissions Requirement, 5 Spoke Aluminum Alloy, All Weather Guard Package, Dlx 3-In-1etr/Cass/Cd Combo W/, Fog Lamps

Preferred Equipment Package 1 $226.00

Auto-Dimming Mirror $280.00

V.I.P.-RS3000 Plus Securitysys $309.00

Spare Tire Lock $0.00

Wheel Locks (Alloy) $0.00

Bed Rug By Wise $419.00

Carpet Floor Mats $0.00

Towing Receiver Hitch $379.00

Then you have to run down the list of the other features not found on the Tundra. Temperature and compass, engine hours meter, message center, top box storage, removable hard cargo cover, locking tailgate. I'm sure some folks are starting to figure it out. Anyway, the Toyota is going to sticker for:

$30,283.00

About $3K less than a base Avalanche - but a lot less truck.

Now I'll give credit where credit is due. Excellent crash performance rating, great reliability and resale value, and best in class stock ground clearance (over 11" out of the box, very impressive). The Tundra isn't a slouch.

I'll take it a step further, between the big four truck makers, GM, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota I'd put it at number two. Ford has serious quality problems right now and they did terrible in crash tests. The current batch of F-150's are death traps. Dodge pricing is a scam (as indicated on my site). They have very low base prices but base at Dodge practically means the wheels are extra. What starts out at a base of $25K suddenly becomes $31K to get up to the equipment of a Tundra or Avalanche.

The thing that hurts the Toyota, in my humble opinion is the issue that has hurt foreign imports from the word go. There is no substitute for cubic inches. As I've already indicated, the Avalanche is bigger and better across the board, and if I'm pulling a trailer or carrying a load then I want that advantage.

Just trying to keep things real.

Come see me at the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

I never stated that the Tundra was in the same league size or feature wise as the Av. Nor did I state that the Tundra is a crew cab truck.

Also, I don't pay MSRP for any car or truck. If the dealer won't budge on the price, I walk. I paid a little over $23k for my truck. MSRP on my 2000 Tundra was $26,400. It came equipped with captains chairs, auto trans w/OD, 4.7l V8 engine, alloy wheels, cloth interior, PW/PL, power mirrors, cruise control, A/C, split rear window, tinted glass, bed liner, alarm w/keyless entry, fog lights, AM/FM/cassette/in dash CD player and tow package. I bought it in Sept. 2000.

If you check in any of the used vehicle guides they don't list a 1999 Tundra. 2000 is the first year model listed for the Tundra. You are correct that the Tundra was released in the spring of 1999 but it was released as a 2000 year model vehicle.

"Certain pickup trucks distributed by Gulf States Toyota and equipped with a Tekonsha trailer hitch wiring harness and converter, an electrical short circuit can occur if water enters the converter housing.

According to the NHTSA, this short circuit could cause a failure of the converter, and if a trailer is being towed at the time, can also cause inoperative trailer lights."

A grand total of 7000 vehicles were recalled due to this. One recall in a first year vehicle affecting 7000 vehicles. That's a pretty good indication of Toyota quality in my book.
    Dude - you don't get it. I wasn't pointing out the recall as a quality issue. I was pointing it out as proof positive that the Tundra was indeed released as a 1999 model.

Secondly, I pointed out the good things about the Tundra, and quality of product being one of them.

Third - NO ONE I know pays MSRP. However what a person makes in an individual deal versus the MSRP by the manufacturer are two different things. I have NEVER paid MSRP on a vehicle and I'll never will. Not only did I get my Avalanche below invoice, I started negotitations $1,995 above sticker price with the dreaded ADM sticker.

You were the one who argued that the Tundra started as a 2000 model and had been out for two years. Not me.

You are also the one who stated:

"...there are way more Tundra's than Avs also.

Just an observation. I doubt anyone will respond though because I drive a Tundra and apparently I have nothing to add to this discussion..."

So I responded - and I've certainly never stated you have nothing of value to add. You then when on to say:

"Well, I'm not going to argue with you about which vehicle is better. Clearly there would be no winner and you're not going change my mind..."

So lets see. You drive a Tundra. You never stated you were going to buy an Avalanche. It safe to draw the lines and conclude that you think the Tundra is better and nothing can change your mind.

I mean I guess for $23K it's better but I can buy a loaded Dakota Quad Cab for $23K, which puts the Tundra in my book in a totally different class. So I guess it's like comparing a toy truck to a real truck. Anyway what's the point, I own an Avalanche and I guess I have nothing to say that won't be construed as a personal afront.

Come visit the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America --

Okay, calm down...I wasn't trying to get anyone riled up here.

Let's just leave it at that.

Jules
  • avalanche1avalanche1 Member Posts: 5
    Recently saw the tan interior with leather seats. This combination looks great compared to the all black interior. For some reason you can't find tan interiors anywhere in the Washington state area. The dealers can't tell me why. Tahoes & surburbans no problem. Are you folks in other parts of the country seeing the same shortage of this color? It looks like I will have to do a factory order and take the chance of missing out on the current rebate deal.

Dan
  • seamusthedogseamusthedog Member Posts: 21
    Do a search on GMbuypower, you can search the dealers inventory and look at the actual window sticker. BTW there is one in kirkland with the tan leather interior if you want to look at one.
  • JvodkaJvodka Member Posts: 5
    That's because MOST people (including myself) consider a tan interior to be ugly. And to make things worse I have seen Indigo blue exterior with a tan interior(AV), Now how ugly is that!!
    What is GM thinking
    Are you guys in Western Washington? When the weather gets better I'd love to work out a cruise with Avalanche owners either out on the Olympic Pennisula [sic?] or maybe the North Cascades Highway. I think it would be awesome to have 15 or 25 Avalanche's all in a row going to the same place for a day of fun and friendship.

You can visit me at the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America at http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com -- I'm the "Chief Avalanche Fan" in the community - or you can just e-mail me at webmaster@chevyavalanchefanclub.com

Maybe we can get together sometime!

I know to each their own - but personally I think tan and dark blue is a very classy combination. However dark blue and dark gray is also sharp.

My dream Avalanche in the current color scheme would be black with tan interior and exterior trip. It would look like a big rotweiller. However if I really had my way it would be all black with a tan interior and a tan bed cover - SWEET!

Now if you want to talk about ugly, horse poop green leather with orange trim and horse poop green body with gray trim on the North Face package. What the heck was GM and the North Face thinking??? I just wish I could get the white on black gauges (ya I know - I can order it through GM parts direct but then I have the North Face on the dash when I don't have the package).
  • avalanche1avalanche1 Member Posts: 5
    I agree on the North Face interior. Its is awful looking and they want $3,500 extra. I sent you an email regarding an Avalance road trip as I do live in Western Washington. Great idea. Also, if anyone gets any advance word regarding what Gm plans to do regarding rebates after the current ones expire I would appreciate knowing.
    I agree tan interior sucks. But my question is .....why does my graphite interior have a TAN headliner?....what's up with that? Were they all made like that?
  • imaniguanaimaniguana Member Posts: 19
    I can't tell you how much I'd like to live in that area. When I used to go out there for extended business trips, I would make sure I'd get my fill of hiking and stuff in. I've hiked on Rainier and Mt. St. Helens about 4 times. Let's see . . . we also did some hiking around Stehekin and went for a boat ride on Lake Chelan.

I really envy you guys with all those great outdoor spots. I can picture it now . . . . a caravan of Avs cruising up Rainier.
    Dude if my wife read this post she would feel totally vindicated! She was insisting that the headliner on our Av had a tan tinge to it. My eye site isn't great, well OK it sucks wind and she's 20/20 but I'm not color blind. It doesn't look tan to me but it does to her -
    Well, just filled her up again. This tankful was used while driving during consistently cold temperatures. Only got 15.3 MPG. First time under 16.0 MPG!! Of course I was driving up East Tennessee MINESHAFTS the whole way!!! HE! HE! HE!
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Wayne, I've seen the same thing. Since the temps have been in the teens to 30s, MPG has been in the low 15s.

All headliners are the neutral color - I find it goes better with the neutral leather in my Indigo Av.
    Are you guys sure you aren't driving faster these days? A strong headwind would also "do in" you mpg.(as would an uphill mineshaft!) Hey, is neutral "tan"? So I have a neutral headliner?...it sucks! Do you guys with neutral/tan seats have a graphite steering wheel? If so.....that really sucks!
    Neutral smuetral - it doesn't suck! Neither does graphite! Both look real nice in the Avalanche. I was hesitant when I first heard of the neutral (excuse me...tan) interior with the graphite (excuse me...grey) accents but Timfam convinced me that it looks right nice! Well, he was right ...I like it...a lot!

jvodka & skidmarks - lighten up a little on your color opinions. You know what they say about opinions don't you? They're like an ---hole, everyone's got one!
This discussion has been closed.