Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• timfarntimfarn Posts: 289
    Remember the 'rado design (includes the sub, tahoe, etc.) is three years old. Your 'rado is now officially outdated. The new Trailblazer has red lenses. Maybe you can find all red to update your truck, Babs.

However, you can find yellow on the new Envoy, and others, too. Maufacturer's choice.
  • frankfx1frankfx1 Posts: 14
    One thing the AV in the MT article was the acceleration
    in the sand. Some thing about the AV gave it the best
    hook up in the sand.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    outdated?

only 16 months old. almost 19K miles on it.

Its not even broken in yet :)
    The realization that your baby is over the hill. Broke-in but not yet broken. You'd better go get yourself an Av.

frankfx - Any other comments from MT on ride, etc. on the Av?
    Yes, they did comment that the ride was suburb.

The lock on the tailgate broke so they had to crawl

into the bed from the cab.

They shredded a tire, but that wasn't the AV's fault.

It really seems to me that they didn't give the AV the

attention it should have had. I want to know about

the cladding (we know all about how ugly it is (allegedly)

but what about its body protection?) .

None of the trucks overheated. The Escalade got close

when idling with AC on in 120F heat.

There are some pictures posted on the MT web page:

http://www.motortrend.com

Also, I have been reading the GM press release for 8/1/01

AV sales are 9419 YTD. I find this encouraging. If any

is intersted, go read that report.

Joe

Joe

Joe

Joe

mine in for an av?

No way only thing right now id trade for is a 2500HD CC.

My brother on the other hand thinks i should buy him an av. haha he better get a job.

Hey question for you guys with leather. Is there a chevy logo stitched into the seats? The red one we seen had leather seats and a bowtie on/by the headrest
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Everyone talks about how well this thing rides. It's my understanding that it's built on a Suburban chassis? Have any of you also driven a new Sub.? Does it not ride just as well? One more comment on the cladding......why not just put it on the 4wd? Same as with the talgate cap, and the bedrail caps on the Sportside. Save that stuff for the work trucks.
  • robbins_robbins_ Posts: 37
    The ride of the Sub is the same as the Av. The Av rides better than a Tahoe. And yes the bowtie is stitched into the seat backs near the headrest.

Bear
    Babs, I knew you wanted to be a family man - you're already looking at moving into something with four doors for the kids.

The bowtie is stitched in on all-leather seats; I don't know on the combo cloth/leather option. The Chevy yellow is just a little too bright.

I'll agree that the ride and handling is every bit as smooth and positive as the Suburban, we've driven both. The longer wheelbase makes it a better ride when compared to the 2001 Yukon.

The cladding is not just decoration placed over finished sheetmetal. Putting the cladding on the 4WD only would mean different body parts for the 2WD - and higher production costs/parts proliferation.
    Our Av made it out of Mexico by rail on 8/6. Who knows, we may have driven by it as we passed through Wentzville, MO on our way home over the weekend. The Indigo/Neutral Av may be delivered to the dealership by the end of this week. We ordered 7/6; this Friday would make it exactly 6 weeks.
    "four doors for the kids"

Nah just more room.

Just moving up the ladder

started out with a reg cab 2wd S-10 now im at an ext cab 4wd half ton
  • grumpy8grumpy8 Posts: 8
    Av fans. I have been hawking the fight for quite awhile and have decided to bite. I am considering ordering a 2wd with Z66 and A95. The local dealer offered to do it for 3% and another $500 of fees. Seems high to me! It did however cause me to ponder two questions, Who pays the $720 delivery fee, (the dealer or GM) and does the dealer get the 3% holdback on an order. And by the way should one get a better deal on an order or getting one from the lot. I would appreciate any advice. I have decided Pewter is for me.
    Thanks
    The destination charge is a base cost, it's there and you're going to pay it. The manufacturer must be the paying party, as it is tacked on to every unit regardless of distance.

Holdback is what is returned to the dealer to cover inventory carrying costs. They will receive holdback on any sold units.

$500 of fees? Usually you'll see an advertising charge of 1 to 3%. This is also returned to the dealer by the manufacturer.

When you say 3%, I take it to mean over invoice. That would put your deal at about $1,500 over invoice and the dealer will get the holdback of another $1,000 or so.

Is it fair? It depends on how many they can order and what they can sell - supply and demand.

Order or buy from stock? All dealers like a sold order, but if they can unload a unit from inventory that hasn't moved, they'll deal. If you can find what you want on a lot, you can put out a take it or leave it offer that may be tough for the dealer to pass on. As more units are sold, allocations are increased, which keeps fresh, different iron on the lot.

Make certain you get the hard cover. Good luck.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    to help the Dealer with the Floorplan interest on inventory. So the longer the vehicle has been on the lot the more interest the Dealer has paid. Theoretically you should be able to get the best deal on one you order, which hasn't cost the Dealer anything yet. Also on a model they're overstocked in. If the Avalanche was selling as well as some here have indicated, I doubt you'd see the discounts that many Dealers are offering. A week ago I counted 60 Av's on one local (Austin, TX) Dealer's lot. Yesterday their website listed 64. No more than a dozen were 2wd.
  • showme1,
    I saw that you had some trouble with your hood protector. When I installed my hood protector that I ordered from the dealer I thought I had installed it properly after I attached the guard to the hood. Then I realized that I had 2 strips of two sided tape left over. I was puzzled by this at first because I know that cost conscience GM isn't very likely to just send you extra stuff like that. So I read further through the instructions and moved on the back and I saw some more instructions telling you to remove the reveal molding on the front doors and place the strips on the side of the windshield. To me this part made no sense at first because I thought how much could these little strips do. So I was lazy and left them off and drove to work the next day and it sounded like a bunch of bugs or rain was hitting the windshield. It became quite annoying so I decided to actually put the two other strips of two sided tape on like the instructions said. After I had done this the noise went away. So I would suggest to anyone that gets the hood deflector (which I must admit looks very nice with the angry headlights) to make sure and follow the instructions fully and make sure these 2 other strips get put on to keep your Av as quiet and smooth as it always is.
  • stockmutstockmut Posts: 21
    What part of the country are you located in? I'm
    in NC and have seen some 2WD Avs like the ones you've mentioned around. My preference is always to deal off the lot if what I'm looking for is not too difficult a combination. Would think you could probably get a little better deal than they offered.
  • gerrickgerrick Posts: 21
    timmyk87,
    Any chance you could post a picture of your installed hood protector?
This discussion has been closed.