Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    But as a former ext cab, and current Av owner I see it as an unecessary expense.
  • From what I was told, there is *presently* no way to hook up a 5th wheel trailer to the AV. Two big problems are:
    * The bed is too short. On tight turns, the trailer would end up hitting the cab.
    * The AV's structure is such that you cannot mount the hitch to the bed.

That being said, there are some companies out there looking into the possibilty of making such a mod. Call around to some of the hitch manufacturers and let them know your interest.

We just went with a good-sized trailer. With the 8.1 engine, you can tow a LOT of trailer. :)

Good Luck!

Bruce
  • Right now quadrasteer only works on vehicles with leaf springs
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I bought a gallon jug at http://www.performanceproducts.com

It was like $48.99

Reason i bought so much was it was cheaper that way and once a year i coat my bedliner (rhino) with it to clean it. So i go through alot
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Posts: 43
    Am considering the purchase of an AV and am curious about a measly 285 hp powering a 7000# truck. If 255 hp is barely adequate (IMHO) for my car that weighs half as much, it concerns me that a truck with double the weight and only 35 more hp would have decent get-up-and-go. Any data available on its 0-60 times?? Any opinions welcome. Mike_Sp1
  • bob503bob503 Posts: 1
    I've been seriously considering purchasing a 2003 Avalanche 2500 in the next week or two. This would be a family/recreational vehicle, and I am looking for opinions from Avalanche owners who either were happy with their Avalanches, or wished they purchased another SUV or truck instead? I'm also considering a new Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab as an alternative...it's several thousand less after I price options that bring it close to the features I want on the Avalanche. So, any Avalanche or newer Dodge Ram owners that have strong convictions about their rig, one way or the other, I'd love to get your input. Trying to make sure that the extra cost of a an Avalanche is worth it, and avoid the evil 'buyers remorse' syndrome. Thanks
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Posts: 43
    As I consider the purchase of an AV, I am wondering about how easy or difficult it is to clean tar from the cladding on the sides and cleaning baked on smashed bugs on the front cladding. As an non AV owner, it would seem that the rough plastic cladding would be very difficult to clean when compared to a smooth surface. Opinions wanted. Mike_Sp1
  • blackavblackav Posts: 5
    I am the owner of a 2003 Z71 Avalanche that I bought in mid January in Virginia. I have previously owned Chevy Trucks and currently own a '97 TransAm. I looked at the Tundra, F150XLT and Dodge Ram SLT. I needed the ability to tow my Pontiac as periodically I race it. Surprisingly, the Chevy 5.3L (327 cu in) in the Avalanche is nimble enough to move on down the road, yet stout enough to pull my car. I opted for the Chevy for a couple of reasons. In as much as I liked the competition, I am a "buy" American person - just my preference. The Toyota was decent, but dollar for dollar I thought the AV with its SUV/Truck ability was better for me. Unfortunately, Dodges - including trucks to certain degree, depreciate far faster that either the Fords or Chevys. Gas mileage was about the same. I do wish the Avalanche was available in the 6.0L as I think that would be a good compromise between the 5.3 and the 8.1; however, my understanding is that GMC will offer its "Avalanche" version this summer with the available 6.0 that comes in Sierras and the Cadillac EXT. Changing the air box to a K&N and adding dual exhaust will increase its power somewhat (intake/exhaust is everything) but I think one will find the 5.3 is adequate. Can't say anything about 0-60 times because to me it's a truck and I'm not racing it. I have a car for that. But you certainly won't slow traffic behind you. One should probably look more at the stopping ability. Consumer Reports gives the Avalance a red circle with a dot (good) for its overall integrity and customer satisfaction. Reading feedback from others and talking to other Avalanche owners has been positive. I think some improvements were incorporated in the 2003 which make it a little better than its first year sibling. Buy the Avalanche. It drives very nice, looks nice (it will grow on you) and I think you'll like it.
  • loncrayloncray Posts: 301
    Well, sir, you mention getting a Ram 2500 or Avalanche. I'm the owner of an '03 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel, and I love it. I am not among the group that thinks the 'lanche is the ugliest thing this side of the Aztek, but I do think my Ram is a nicer-looking vehicle. You don't mention which engine you're interested in? Gas engines, the new Hemi is probably about the same as the Chevy engine. I've heard it's getting worse mileage than people hoped for. If it's a diesel engine you're looking for, IMHO you can't do better than the Cummins, esp. the High Output version. Chevy's have better automatic trannys (though I've heard good things about the new 48re in the Dodge), though they're probably about the same in manual trannys. I love my Ram - you need to look at your needs and desires and drive both trucks before making a decision.
    I may be wrong but GMC was going to offer a smaller version of the avalanche. It was based on the envoy chassis.
    I considered the Ran QC before I bought my Avalanche mainly because of the new Hemi. Just the thought of that 345 HP!! (never actually drove one). Two main reasons I didn't - first and foremost price. With the bigger rebate, my GM card rebate, and GM Supplier Discount pricing, the higher-priced Avalanche was cheaper to buy. The other consideration was the size. I never really liked the 143" wheelbase of the Sierra I was driving, and the Ram is only a couple inches shorter. And the overall lenght about the same. Whereas the Av is onl;y 130" wheelbase and several inches shorter overall. And of course I have an even longer bed that the Ram or my Sierra when I need it, which isn't often. For a beautiful ride and a pickup when I need it the Av is ideal. BTW, I got the model "Without Body Hardware". Never too crazy about the cladding, or even more so, the flat-top wheelwells. However I do wish it had the Av front end.
  • blackavblackav Posts: 5
    Ryanbab - you might be right on that. I was at a Pontiac dealership a feeks ago, and I may have not realized the GMC versioned AV was on the Envoy frame. That being the case, it will probably get the 6.L engine (maybe optional), but a bit smaller. I know the Chevy Trailblazer now offers an upgrade 5.3L engine instead of the 4.3 six cylinder. But it's stictly all SUV. Nice looking, but I needed the truck. The AVs WBH do look nice, but with or without, it's a good truck. And that Dodge Hemi is nice and has a good motor. One always respects the competition. Just stay away from the Ford SVTs as they're fast cars disguised in a truck body. Tangled with one in my Pontiac T/A, which is far from stock, and only because of a good shift and maybe a few footpounds more torque, did I keep from being humbled. But I went away and said, damn - that was one quick truck. But I love my AV and when weather breaks just a wee bit more, we'll see how it pulls my T/A.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    I tested both of these a lot before making my decision:

Pros for Hemi: Exhaust note is awesome. Lots of torque to pull whatever you need to.

Pros for Chevy 5.3L: MUCH quicker off the line (not even close here). Much better gas mileage (4-5 mpg difference).
  • tn23tn23 Posts: 3
    Tundra owner here thinking of getting rid of 02 Tundra for 03 Avalanche! Wife thinks I'm nuts, but w/ Tundra's well known brake problems it might just happen. Like the de-plastic version and the powerful 5.3L is always inviting compared to the weak 4.7L toyota offers. Anyone drove both? Any responses would be welcome.
  • Why limit yourself to 5L in the 1500? Go for the 8L1 found in the 2500 Avalanche. :) The 5L is faster off the line (the times I've raced my manager) but the 8L pulls ahead later. Heck, or just throw a 9K pound trailer on the hitch and see who wins.

Sorry, I can't help you on the Tundra. I have driven the 4Runner and found the ride harsh, even for a truck chassis. Your gas mileage will be worse in the AV.

Good Luck!
  • Guys, those who have Z71, how does it do off-road? Can you compare it to other off-road models by Chevy and other companies? Thanks!
  • Fellas, is steering in 1500 2003 Av rack-and-pinion or recirculating ball? gmcanada.com has it as a rack, but every other site I checked has it as a ball. So, which one is it?
    Rack or ball steering? Damned if I know.
    I can tell you that compared to the Sierra I had previously, the steering is light. It's nice that it steers easy, but not enough feel and way too easy for my tastes. You can feel every little movement of the steering wheel.
    4wd = recirc ball
    2wd = rack and pinion
    it looks like it's got torsion bars...on a 2wd? That's diff. than the truck.
    the 2wd avs, burbs, and tahoes all have torsion bars
    Thanks Ryan.
  • And those of you, Av owners, who have had experience with both Rack and Ball, which one do you prefer and why?
  • Maybe it's only in Canada (though why?), but gmcanada.com clearly shows all 1500 models have Rack steering. Maybe it's a typo?

See for yourselves

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevytrucks/avalanche/av- al_details.html
    I've ever driven. I notice more difference between it and my Sierra (both R&P), than I did between my '96 Silverado (Ball) and the Sierra. As I said before (I think it was here), the Av steering is too light. Not enough road feel, but you sense every little movement of the wheel. It's like you can't hold the wheel still enough to truly go in a straight line. Make any sense? Maybe my speed-sensitive steering isn't working right and it's always light like when you're going slow.
  • SpangSpang Posts: 6
    I know the rebate was increased up to $4000. Was it decreased to $3000?

Any word if the Av will come with diesel power?
    With possibly a GM Loyalty incentive of some kind if you currently own a GM.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    The $1000 Loyalty ended March 31. So did any auto show $500 bonuses that were on.

So, by buying on March 21, I guess that means I saved an extra $1500!
  • Does anyone know where I can find some visor plaques to cover up the ugly warning sticker on the visors of an S-10?
    streamlinedesign.com
This discussion has been closed.