Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    I'll let you know in about 3 months.

So far, I've only driven the Convertible version of the C5, so seals are irrevalent, if you know what I mean.
  • timfarntimfarn Posts: 289
    So far not a mention of the Av at either show. Will it be shown as a new model at these shows?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Its gonna be in chicago (feb 9-18)

Ryan
    I got an interesting little brochure in the mail a few days ago. It shows all color options and all the "tricks" that can be done with the different layouts in color pictures. They are small pictures though.

I still like its functionality potential, but its the quality part that scares me.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    of the Ave will be suspect? LOL!!!

Could it be because of GM's previous track record?
    Did you get the 14 page brochure? I've seen it as a pdf file - resolution wasn't that great.

Babs: They show the Av as scheduled for 33 events starting with the LA show on now. But it hasn't received any commentary to date. LA is the first and Chicago the second Chevy Truck Special Event.

Maybe the waterfall that the production models will be demonstrated under at these shows is still being assembled. They may nip that quality question in the bud. LOL?
    Ya, but they are only 1/2 size pages though. Good pictures, but small.

Looks like they reengineered those storage units in the rear quarters. Decreased the storage space, but added grab handles on the rear corners.

Also, they put lighting on the inside of the box panels (good idea) but I bet that you have to go all the way to the instrument panel to turn them on and off. LOL.
    I would like to see the Av at a show - but evidently it hasn't made a showing at LA or Detroit. On the GM Experience Live, you can view all of the models displayed. The Av is MIA! In between basketball tourney games this past weekend, I took the family and one other boy to test drive the SCrew Lariat and the Suburban LT (closest you can find to the AV for now). The SCrew, while nice, was more truck-like in ride and handling (expected). Best feature - adjustable pedals. Detractions - difficult step-in height for smaller folk, seats were a little short in the thigh. Sub - excellent ride and handling - big difference on washboard, etc. Heated seat a winner for the wife. The kids thought it offered a little less rear legroom. I want to see the Avalanche, but will not make plans for a show until it will be there for sure.
    You have to look, but you can find the Av in Detroit. They are showing the grotesque Base Camp and a Z71 in white. The top box storage does look very different, as noted by joelis earlier.
  • greg116greg116 Posts: 116
    March last year. Had the red one there. way up, couldnt see into it. Major dissapointment.

Prediction: 2003-4 Chevrolet Avalanche SS 6.0L, maybe dropped.

Can't wait to climb all over one of these things at a dealership/car show!

Does anyone know if the interior can be sealed with the "midgate" down? i.e. tailgate closed, box tonneau in place, rear glass in place but seats folded and box exposed to interior? It would be nice to have a way to open up the cargo box to 8 feet and still seal yourself COMPLETELY from the outside like a regular cab pickup. Oh well. Still a very nice truck.
    Sealed cargo area with the midgate open and the glass in - is possible. Whether it seals tightly, well, that's the open question right now.
    I can't even get my Silverado to seal properly, how can they expect to do it with a semi convertible Ave? LOL
    Joelis - Dean has seen this, in case you haven't - from the Silverado Problems topic...

68 3 & 4 door problems by salesrep Jan 19, 2001 (03:46 pm)
    I had previously reported that I would pass on the Chevrolet part numbers that will fix your hard closing problem in cold or cool weather of the rear doors on the ext cabs Silverado.

#15057687 Latch, #15057688 Latch, #15063698 Striker. The Chevrolet TSB for this problem is 00-08-64-016 Located in section 08 under Body & Accessories.

Both right and left door are affected by this TSB.

Up till a week ago Chevrolet totally denied any knowledge of a door closing problem. In one week they have manufactured parts and written the TSB. Amazing!!!
    Ordering that was to commence in Jan. will now be Feb. They will not see a production vehicle in the 1st qtr. as originally scheduled. Units to hit showrooms in April/May. (MAYBE?) Meanwhile, the Lincoln Blackwood is available for ordering and F150 SCrew continues to rack up the sales. Can you say "behind the curve"?
    I noticed the movement of this topic into the "hot" category, and, like a bad car wreck, I had to gawk (when talking Aztek, not to be confused with gack, LOL). A post that may be of interest:

"By the fall, dealers will start seeing the 2002 Aztek models with exterior modifications. Anything plastic on the exterior (front/rear bumpers, side skirting, protective cladding, grille, front/rear lighting will be changed and (with the exception of the lights of course) will be painted the color of the vehicle vs the gray we have now. The cladding over the wheels will lose the flat look and become round so as to make the wheels look larger."

Not knowing the validity or credibility of the claim or the party that posted the above, doesn't this have a familiar ring? A vehicle, with overly aggressive styling, cheap looking plastic cladding available in one color, and wheel flares encompassing a flat styling.

Is GM analyzing the results of the Aztek debacle and embarking on a campaign to make the production Av more appealing to the masses? Remember, Aztek sales were forecasted to be in a range similar those forecasted for the Av. Those forecasts were scaled back 25% or more soon after introduction and many dealers have their first and only models on their lots as the plant is being shutdown.

My take - 1) GM is overly optimistic with a sales forecast of 100,000 units/year. 2)Salespeople/Consumers are nervous about the pricing of this vehicle, yet to be published, to the point that it should settle below expectations. 3) The Av will need to share more parts and looks with the 'rado and Sub to sell near expectations and be more profitable for the General.
  • guru101guru101 Posts: 15
    I completely agree with you timfarn on all 3 of your points. I totally fit into #2. I want an Av, but I think the $$$ will be too high. Looking at the market, anything above 26k for a base is too high. If I could get a 4x4 for less than 30k I think I would. Otherwise, I'll buy a Santa Fe.

My prediction is that the Av will suffer a typical GM demise. They'll make them for a few years, realize there are engineering and profitibility issues, and can it. The Av will be another Fiero, Impala SS, Lumina MPV, etc. You can add the Aztek to this list too.

If GM really wants to sell 100,000 Avs, they should make it look exactly like an extend cab 'rado, except a little longer.
    Since the Av is a derivative of the Sub, it would be natural for the truck to look like the ex cab 'rado. Using common doors, trim, etc. helps profitability. I think the Av will have "legs" especially as compared to some of the models you mention - just not at the sales levels projected by GM. Can you believe they were advertising the Aztek during the Super Bowl!? Either a colossal waste of advertising $ or a last ditch effort to give some life to a doomed product.
  • Yeah, not only did GM advertise during the Super Bowl, but I've seen commercials during the new Survivor series too. I just read that Pontiac has only sold 11,700 Azteks since June. That's terrible. I don't see how GM could have missed the mark this badly.

I live in the Detroit area, and I see several Azteks daily. Its my belief that outside of GM employees in South-East Michigan, GM has managed to sell very few Azteks. I don't see how they can afford to keep producing them. I think its going to be redesigned very quickly.
    Its also going to be the Pace Car for the Daytona 500. Unbelieveable, GM pissing money away on that piece of junk.

Guru, are you serious about buying a Hyundai? Why?

You get what you pay for you know. Cheap junk and ugly too!
This discussion has been closed.