Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• midlifecrisis, that trip required an intermediate fillup. The first part was 100% freeway and the mileage was 16.6 mpg, so I would think that 17 is a reasonable expectation for pure freeway driving at 72-73 indicated once it has a few miles on it.
  • midlifecrisis, I forgot to tell you the color. It is light pewter metallic and it is about the best possible color for the conditions that I drive in. Wish I had used the same judgement on the interior...!
  • idocpilkidocpilk Posts: 18
    I just finished a roundtrip 800 mile trip of mainly 4 lane with intermittent towns slowing us down. With a little tail wind I got 20mpg at 75. The truck was poorly aligned and only had 700 miles when I started. I got about 18 on the way back with very little wind and more stop and go. I expect when it get broken in I should be able to squeeze 20 hiway...15 or so in town. Not bad for this much truck with this much power. My last rig had 4.3 and I got 22 and 18....
  • Beach15 - When we bought our Av, they would not let us keep the plates due to a change from a minivan to a truck. So we needed a new set of plates in NJ. I don't know how Delaware does it. Z-66 bench seat models are near impossible to find. We needed the bench seat and wanted 2WD, but ended up spending extra to get the Z-71 4WD. We hope to recoup the extra cost in resale value. Bench seats are hard to find period. I bet less than 10% of Avs have bench seats. But I'll tell you, the ability to seat 6 people is a huge bonus for us and we've used it several times in the first two weeks alone.

Venadoloco - glad to here of the 16+ mpg, maybe there's hope yet to getting 17 +/- mpg. My wife wanted the pewter Av, but we couldn't find one with the options we wanted. We ended up with black, which obviously is the worst color to keep clean!
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Yeah, I know about the shortage, the black Z66 with the bench we found is at a dealer 2 hours away. In a week, it's the only one I've found. The dealer has been extremely nice, and the internet guy emails me very quick, answers any and all questions, and last night even gave me his home phone number in case we needed to get in contact with him quickly if he's not in. I just wish we could get the situation with our current car fixed--getting it sold as quickly as we can. That's what's holding us up.

As for the seats, it's my mother who's the one wanting to buy an Avalanche and get rid of her 2000 Chrysler 300M. When it comes to cars, she is not particular at all, other than color. And, it must not have any rattles, be quiet, and ride well. So, when it came to finding an Avalanche, she really didn't care what was on it, and just wanted the least amount of "junk" and the bench seat. In our house, there's 2 teenagers, 2 adults, and a poodle. She wants to have a lot of room and be able to carry 6 people. We also had a 2002 Buick LeSabre rental for a month, and she came to love having a front bench seat. So, I was very lucky to find a Z66 with it, and in a color she'd take, black.

There's a dealer that's closer to us who has 4 Z66's on the lot, 2 black, 1 blue, and 1 green. They all have the bucket seats, and both of the black ones have the neutral interior. He'll give me a better price than the one I found with the bench, the dealer is a lot closer to us, and I'm starting to think that the Neutral interior would be easier to keep clean and maybe a little cooler, though with black paint, it'll always be cookin' inside! But, like I said, they both have the buckets. We hope to go look at and test drive an Av. sometime tomorrow or whenever and see about what seats we like better.

I have a question though. With the bench, it seems as though you lose quite a bit of storage space without the console. I can't tell from pictures, but with the bench, does the center armrest open up with a storage compartment?

And as far as transferring the tags if we sell the car, I still think it could be done. Here, cars and trucks do have different plates if you have the standard state tags. With vanitys, I know it's different somehow but not exactly sure. There must be some way, or at least we hope! We should call the DMV sometime. She'd hate to have to lose her special lighthouse "JOURNEY" tag, named for the 80's band.

Times ticking, and March is already half over! We have to figure out a way to get the 300M sold for enough and buy a new Avalanche before the rebate ends. Also, because we have a 7-hour trip planned on April 5th to visit family back in Pennsylvania, and it sure would be nice to have a vehicle that we can fit all our stuff in and still have room, and a vehicle that doesn't deafen us on the highway with tremendous road noise! I better hurry up!
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    I know you will take a hit... But what about just trading it in???? I did the same thing last year when I got my Silverado. At least you will have the truck that you want.. or if you could wait, why not just order yourself an Av?

Just my .02 cents...
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Yeah, that's actually what we're going to do. We don't have the time or patience to worry about selling the car, so now we just have to get enough on trade for it. And, of course, find the right Avalanche. Still thinking about the bench, but my mother does not want to drive 2 hours just to get them and I can get a better deal on one with buckets, not to mention find one closer to us. We plan on going some night this week to look at and drive one of the Black Z66's with Neutral cloth and buckets. Or, we may try to have the dealer do a swap for a pewter one. We'll just have to see what happens!
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    the Dealer to swap the seats out. 'course you'd probably have to wait for them to get a bench seat. There are aftermarket custom seats that instead of a console have a fold down center section to make a bench seat. I have also seen a narrow seat that fills the space between the buckets after the removal of the console.
  • The fold down armrest in the bench seat model has a substantial amount of storage space. It opens up on a hinge for access. There's also quite a bit of area on the floor in the center to lay stuff there if needed.
  • belljobelljo Posts: 15
    your thoughts please. Situation, take my Av in to have the door repaired. Door is removed, battery drains, door replaced good as new....? No, now the radio is locked out (LOC) and air bag sensor is constantly on indicating a problem. Dealer want a $100.00 to hook up to the diagnostic equip, repair shop say's not my problem as they charged the battery back to full capacity.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    if those conditions existed when you brought the truck in. They will usually note if anything is wrong when they check the truck in so as to not be liable for damages. Since those problems did not exist when you brought the truck in, it is assumed that the dealer caused the problem. One has to wonder though why all those problems just because the battery drained. That doesn't make sense either.

Since your truck is still covered under the 3/36 warranty, these problems should be covered under it regardless of who caused it. The dealer seems more interested in making the $100 than keeping a good relationship with the customer. I'd keep an eye out on these guys.
  • Tell them you'll take your business elsewhere unless they fix the problems under warranty at no cost to you.
    work they'd be more than happy to have you take it elsewhere. more than once i've had a dealer request that i take my business elsewhere! they didn't like being cussed at.
  • dogsportdogsport Posts: 4
    Have a question for anyone out there about towing a camper. We are looking at purchasing a 30' travel trailer weighing approximately 5800 lbs. without anything put inside. We are looking at purchasing the 1500 4x4 with the 3.73 gear ratio. Will that be OK or do we have to go to the 4.10 gear ratio? Thanks in advance.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    the 4.10 rear end would probably be better
    magazine. (Chevy Traiblazer on cover) It has a few customized Av's (with painted cladding).
  • dogsport: With a 30' trailer weighing 5800 pounds, you could be pushing either the 3.73 or 4.10 1500 Av to its limits. Consider that the 7200 lb trailer capacity of the Av does not include anything but the weight of the Av, trailer, and the driver. Add up passengers and cargo and you may end up close to the trailer capacity. I don't know how many people you would be hauling or how much luggage, etc, so you'd have to do the math for your particular circumstances. If you're anywhere near the 7200 lbs, I would consider the 2500 Av model.

But if you go with the 1500, definitely go with the 4.10 as a minimum.
  • mpalombompalombo Posts: 186
    Does he still post here, I read a little over a week ago that his Av was stolen and I was just wondering if it was recovered or what happened?

-Mark
  • cmeskiicmeskii Posts: 3
    Got a question about installing a power amp to a radio in an Av..Circuit City says they cannot install an amp because there is already an amp attached to the On Star system and they don't know how to install it without cutting out the On Satar..Any help here?
  • jmstacksjmstacks Posts: 1
    Avalanche to Drop Plastic Skirt in 2003

GM is making the cladding optional because it costs $750 per vehicle and it doesn't do much to attract buyers. The plastic will remain available as an option.

-John

This discussion has been closed.