Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs. Honda Civic Si Sedan

Comments

• Late one night this past weekend I was giving a friend a ride in my Si and his comment was "man the ride smooths out when it's going 80 or 90" :-). He was impressed with the engine's ability to spin freely up to 8000. I only embarrassed myself once when I bounced off the rev limiter accelerating around a big right hand sweeper
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    The acura tsx is the euro accord, and i'm pretty sure its still a midsize.
  • Yes, anyone on the planet who's read anything about this car knows it's based on the Euro Accord.

Here in America it is not a midsize sedan, it's a compact sedan.
  • I finally have a chance to buy a new car. My current vehicle is a Honda CRV that will soon be my daughter&#146;s first car. Now it&#146;s time for Dad to play. What would you buy, or recommend buying, if you were in the <$30k market and had the following criteria?

Must be: 4 door, automatic, decent mpg, reliable, comfortable/confident at 80+ mph, and FUN to DRIVE.

So far, I&#146;m considering the GTI (4dr), GLI, S40, TSX, WRX, Accord V6, and Legacy GT. Your advice, experience, or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    go_snail_go
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    If it were me, I'd go with the Accord or Legacy. The Automatic tranny is the killer here - it saps too much fun out of the smaller displacement cars.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    I'd go with the Accord V6 or get the GTI or GLI with the DSG transmission. It'll shift faster in the auto mode and allow you to have some fun in the Tiptronic mode.

But keep in mind, it's a VW. If you want stellar reliability, get the Accord. If you want some character and soul, get the VW.
  • I'd go Legacy GT over the Accord V6 - I think it's more fun to drive (more soul). I looked long and hard at an Accord coupe 6 speed last year and I just didn't like it even as much as the Legacy GT. I'd stay away from VW and Volvo but only because of my experience with my 99 Passat. I loved to drive that car but it just had too many things go wrong. Another car you might add to your list is the Accura TSX but or the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evo which is supposed to come out early in 07. But of the cars you listed I'd lean towards the Legacy GT. It has been the ONLY auto equiped car I would consider so far. I ended up buying a Civic Si Coupe in October so I'm regressing I guess (This Dad is having FUN ;-) but I still might go for the Legacy GT when the body is refreshed next year.
    How do you know this? Edmunds considers it a midsize (although they consider the rl a midsize to so i guess that doesn't mean much), but its porportions are more akin to the accord than the civic. Its not as long but its definetely a little bigger than the civic. Just because its brought to the us doesn't mean that it changes from midsize to compact. I know this could be argued over greatly, especially when the last time i checked, the ford mustang is considered a compact too, so if thats what ford says whatever; BUT, i'm pretty sure acura/honda considers their TSX a midsize.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    I know this could be argued over greatly, especially when the last time i checked, the ford mustang is considered a compact too, so if thats what ford says whatever; BUT, i'm pretty sure acura/honda considers their TSX a midsize.

The classification sizes are not determined by the manufacturer. It's the EPA that detemines the size based on interior volume.
  • It's probably as much my opinion as anything. Who'd argue that the TSX, RL and Accord are in the same size class? Both the RL and Accord are bigger enough than the TSX for me to make a distinction, so I call the TSX a "compact" sedan. Is it small? No, but it's smaller than most of the sedans we call mid-sized in America.

The Mustang is a coupe, so I'm not even sure why that was mentioned.
  • I'd go with the Accord V6 or get the GTI or GLI with the DSG transmission. It'll shift faster in the auto mode and allow you to have some fun in the Tiptronic mode.

But keep in mind, it's a VW. If you want stellar reliability, get the Accord. If you want some character and soul, get the VW.

The GLI looks like a real hoot. If it wasn't for VW's perceived lack of reliability, I'd seriously consider this as my next car. Hopefully, they've gotten things ironed out on this front.
  • xmontxxmontx Posts: 18
    I bought the 2007 civic si coupe. I love the car. Trying to compare the 2 different style cars is difficult. Obviously, TSX is at least $8-$10k more than the SI. Then you have to look at the class of each car. Definitely different; TSX true sedan type which can be compared easier to the Honda accord like one of the users had stated and the Civic SI is a compact car that is compared to the discontinued RSX. Although if money was not the issue. I would go for the civic SI sedan. It's more enjoyable to drive. And since you're not driving much from and to work, why not have fun in a tasteful, more energetic vehicle. It's a racing car in my opinion. It's made for harsh punishments without damage to the car. But if you're worried about "I'm too old looking to drive the SI", then I guess you can go with the TSX. I driven the TSX. No doubt it's a nice car. I wouldn't say it was the most fun car to drive. But it's classy, quiet and smooth.

It comes down to the battle of: "Fun vs. Conservative"

Both reliable cars too. Besides the interior plastic in the civic SI, it's just born to punish the road and once you hit the vtec, it screams for more. :-p
  • k5ldbk5ldb Posts: 50
    If it makes a difference, Acura salesperson and customer service are much much much better than Honda sales/service.

Perhaps this is true as a generality however not as an absolute. Robert Doolittle, the internet manager for Gillman Honda in Houston, is one of the best. He not only takes good care of you during the sale but follows up afterward to be sure everything is good. I've dealt with him for over a decade now and have never been disappointed. As long as he's in the business I'll be calling on him when I want a Honda product.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I think it depends on the dealer not the brand of car. the dealer i go to is excellant-sales and service-Vinart dealerships- they sell and service both hondas and acura along with hyundais and suzuki- I would give names but I will abide by the rules. We have bought numerous cars from this dealership over the years and never have been disappointed. If fact we moved 700 miles away but still deal with them.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I agree, it depends on the individual dealership, not the brand. Manufacturers do not control the attitudes of those who are actually selling the cars. Positive and negative experiences with any brand you can name are reported all over these forums. It's all up to the person who runs the individual dealership, not the brand name the store carries.

I hope everyone will drop by our Dealer Ratings & Reviews feature and rate any and all shops you've dealt with, either for sales or service (or both). Help out your fellow community members by recording your experiences under the dealership's name.

And btw nj2pa2nc, I appreciate your saying you will abide by the rules, but naming a dealership in a posting is not a problem. We welcome your feedback.
    what I meant was even though I could recommend different people that work at Vinart dealerships in PA I will not even though most of them from sales manager, sales, finance service manager, service advisors and even the techs are great. Yes there are a few that work there that I would not deal with. I did post in the dealer ratings. Thanks for your comments
    actually the tsx and civic are quite similar, especially since the si comes in a sedan form. (comparing it to the rsx is kinda off in this regard too, sinc the rsx is technically a hatchback.)

so if you were to compare a tsx to a si sedan, you almost have the same type of car: makes lots of hp for the engine size, high revving, fwd, handles well, excellent shifter.

they are more alike than you think.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Actually, the similarities are only skin deep. The TSX is longer, wider, and has more interior passenger space than the Civic.

The TSX also has a larger, more powerful engine that makes more usable power lower in the rev range (25 more lb ft of torque at 1600 lower RPM).

The TSX also includes many features that the Civic doesn't have, such as heated leather seats, auto climate control, heated exterior mirrors, fog lights, auto-dim rearview mirror, homelink, HID headlights, and upscale interior trim materials.

Most importantly though, the TSX has a superior double wishbone front suspension while the Civic makes due with McPherson struts up front. The TSX is also built a larger, more refined midsize car platform, so it is quieter, more comfortable, and has a more refined driveline (vibration, harshness, feedback).

The Civic is sportier thanks to it's lighter weight, but overall, the TSX is a lot more car. Whether it's worth the additional $7,000 is up to the individual.
    I own a tsx but was considering getting the civic si sedan. the si sedan was not out yet so i bought the tsx-no regrets. love the way honda-acura shifts-very smooth. My brother, who owns an 07 volvo s-80 loved my tsx when I let him drive it. he said he wants MT in his next car.
    actually, everything you mentioned (interior materials, being quiter, fog lights and dimming mirrors) are whats sking deep.

the fact that the si puts up better numbers with its macphersons says a lot too.

i was just basically saying that they are almost the same car in their respecive segments: lightweight, high revving, nice interiors, and good handlers.

I wasn't saying they are the same car, as i know they are on different platforms and that there is an obvious difference between the k20 and k24.