Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• Luckily for me my truck has not have this many troubles but I'm not very pleased with GM with the performance of the Colorado and their support. (or lack of support). After purchasing 7 new GM vehicles over the years this Colorado is the last GM product I will own.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Now wait a minute. You have had NO problems with the truck but you are unhappy with the performance. Did you not drive this vehicle before buying? Did you think it would magically double in power 6 months down the road? Maybe GM will be better off without you. Get a truck that works as advertised and you are still unhappy. Why not by a Toyota truck with the engines that were blowing up, or a Camry with sludge problems. The grass may not be greener on the other side of the hill but I doubt no one can tell you that so go for something else and I hope you have better luck if that is possible since nothing is wrong with what you have. :shades:
    Oh my 04 4x4 crewcab has more than enough power for me.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Some people come to the boards to say this or that but are just making up a story because they are loyal to their Japanese car/truck, for whatever reason. The guy probably doesn't even have a Colorado.
  • I have an 07 Colorado 4x4 which has given absolutely no trouble. Runs great. I have changed the oil every 3-4k miles. I noticed recently that there is a slight bit of emulsified oil on the bottom of the dipstick. I changed the oil, but it still shows up. I asked Chevy about it, but they said I will have to pay for an oil test myself. Has anyone else had this problem? I am hoping there is not a leak somewhere.

Thanks.
  • Hi,

well it had to happen. I have been following these comments since I first posted a message about our truck going into 4 wheel drive, by the way caused an accident and wiped out the side of the truck. Of course no one at Chevrolet would look at it, nothing has registered on the computer!!!!!!!
    Now the engine light came on.....engine running on 4 cylinders. At present truck is in the shop.
    I would like to hear from some of the owners of the Colorado that had the repair done....what to expect and what their opinions are now. What and if they have kept them or what.
    Would like to get rid of the truck, but I hate to take the collossol lose of money I would have to eat. Sure was a bad day when we made the decision to buy a Chevrolet.....Chevy does not stand behind their products like it should.

Dave
  • One more thing, when your Colorado was repaired, what all was done to it.
    My dealer said they replace all the gaskets cylinders and heads, but leave the old block.....
    How about getting back on this with me
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    If you are the original owner on record, GM should have sent you a letter outlining what the problem is, and what they will cover in repairs, at no cost. In fact, someone posted a copy of that letter here, I believe, about 6-8 weeks ago.

I asked the question on this forum about 12-18 months ago, about how different people drive and maintain their Colorado/Canyons, just to see if there is some sort of common cause. Nothing ever came of it. My '05 Canyon has 22,500 miles on it...So far, so good.

Anyway, as far as I know, they replace the entire cylinder head assembly with an updated '07 unit.
  • vld2007vld2007 Posts: 1
    Is there anything I can do to get dealer help with my engine problem? I have an '04 Colorado with the infamous engine problem. Problem started at 88k miles and we thought it was the injectors so we had them cleaned. We commute a long ways and six months later we had over 100k on the truck and a letter comes in the mail describing our symptoms and saying that the warranty was extended (lot of good that did us.) So I called Chevy--no luck, called the dealer and after I threw a ginormous hissy fit they offered to only charge me $1,000 and they would diagnose things, possibly replace the head and then tell me what else was wrong with the truck, and let me know if there would be any additional charges. I did not take them up on their "generous" offer. Now I'm looking into buying a new engine, but it would be great if there were a better way to get this mess fixed. I have to pay on this piece of crap for three more years.
  • I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado with 27000 miles. Untill last night I have never had any problems untill I went to start my truck. As soon as it started it died. On the dash it says ABS fault and low fuel. There is over half tank of gas. Any question to what the problem is?
    Sorry, I can't say. I have read on other forums that the parking brake has been related to engine code warnings when it had nothing to do with it. Not likely it but make sure your parking brake and gas cap are secured. Other than that I don't have a clue.
  • Bought my '04 Colorado Ex cab, 4WD with 2.8 on January 3, 07 with 56 K miles. It was a fleet ruck with fleet maint records. About 90% highway miles and it looked the part: Like new condition. Engine was strong running and very quiet. I drive basically only on the highway about 100 miles a day, 6 days a week. It had a fresh oil change when I bought it and I did the first change after about 8K miles. I know that seems like a long interval, but I really drive only on the highway, and I drove it very conservatively, never leadfooting. I noted that it had used less than half a quart in those 8K miles. The next three oil changes went the same way: very little oil missing between changes (like 4oz, really), oil not even black. This motor was very tight, never missed, always started right up, with very smooth idle and plenty of power.

All that changed in a two week period about two months after my last oil change, about 5K miles into the new oil. At first I noticed a tiny tapping noise when the engine first started up cold in the morning. It went away after only a minute or so and I didn't give it much thought. But over the next couple of days it got louder. It sounded very much like a noisy tappet. So I checked the oil level and it was low, like WAY LOW, below the dipstick! Whoa, I thought, that's weird. This thing NEVER uses oil between changes and a quick look underneath showed a dry engine and chassis so no leak evident. So I went to top off the oil and noted that the bottom of the filler cap was 'sludgy', not like coolant in the oil, but like very old oil that was never changed. Again weird; the oil always looked good between changes, now this??!!

But the tapping got louder and louder over the next couple of days and the engine got hard to start. After starting it would tap loudly and also had a 'hard' miss when cold. I began to check the oil level daily and noticed it was using like a quart a day!!! I don't have a spare vehicle so I had to keep driving it until I could figure this out or it died, whichever comes first.

But the oil consumption stayed about a quart a day or so and sometimes when leaving a stop the engine would have a serious hesitation and puff out a huge cloud of smoke, both white oil and black fuel smoke. During all this time the temperature never rose above the first notch on the gauge and the idle was smooth as glass. This went on for about a week until one day (Friday night actually) upon leaving a stop sign it stalled and never started again. It had 93K miles total. May it rest in peace :sick:

Now I don't have ANY faith in engines that have, or have ever had a loud tapping noise with or without sludgy looking oil, so I have NO PLANS of repairing this engine, especially when I can get one out of an '06 with 10K miles for $750 with a 6 month warranty and Carfax report.

But what the hell happened??!! Are these engines really THAT JUNKY??!!

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

Any thoughts?

Jimbo
  • adad23adad23 Posts: 1
    This is for all the Canyon/Colorado owners with the I4 model. I had the top end replaced about 6 mos. ago( @ 64,000 mi.) Ck. Eng. lite failures were common prior to the cylinder misfire problem. Since the new parts were installed(about 10,000 mi.) I am ready to junk the truck. The Ck. Eng. lite has been on again. The truck has been back to the dealer three or four times for the routine diagnostics and all they told me was no problem could be found. :lemon: :(
  • I'm seriously considering a swap to Isuzu NPR power. The 4cyl turbo will fit right in and get me well over 30 MPG, more than offsetting the higher cost of diesel. Oh yeah, and it WON'T BREAK!

Jimbo
    What's the Isuzu NPR engine?
    It sounds like that valve seal issue that was supposedly corrected with the 2.9 L model engine or slightly before with the late generation 2.8 L if im not mistaken.
  • jeepgirl05jeepgirl05 Posts: 14
    I am looking for a small 4 dr. crew cab p/u. Had my sights set on a Colorado, until this morning. Its an 05 w/43k miles. Got to "test it" for weekend. This morning I go to start it, nothing happens, won't even turn over. Let it sit for couple hours, go back & try it again, this time it starts, but smells like something is burning so, no dashboard lights come on, shut it off, get out & notice oil like stuff all over ground. Smelled like burning rubber, ick..call the dealer to come & get it. They come n get it want to charge me for towing, which i refused to pay, its there stupid truck. The tow guy said the stuff on the ground was a mixture of oil, transmission fluid & gas & there must be a hole somewhere in the engine area They haul it away, the dealer called asked what i did to it to cause this mess. I drove it two days, no off-road or anything like that. Have another one...different dealer its an 06, see what it leaks, then going back to Jeeps.
  • marc2340marc2340 Posts: 1
    OK all here's the deal on the cylinder heads. My 06 Colorado crew cab 4x4 z71 package 33,000 miles started with a check engine light, diagnosis misfire cylinder 5. I took the vehicle to the dealer here in Little Rock AR, they supposedly made a repair to the fuel injector. Drove to visit family in St. Louis check engine light came back on, I stopped at a St. Louis dealer, Lou Fusz, who told me of the cylinder head problems. Because of the extended time to make the repair he suggested I have the work done when I got home to Little Rock. In LR at Crain Chev, they again supposedly repaired the fuel injector, another check engine light 24 hrs later and I returned to the LR dealer and insisted they look for cylinder head problems. Final diagnosis cylinder heads leaking and valves were bad. A Chevy tech bulletin recommended replacement, this was under warranty. The dealer kept my truck for 3 weeks so make sure you get a rental car under your warranty.
    After getting my truck back everything seems fine but I called Chevrolet Customer care and eventually got a Victoria Castro. After much discussion GM has given me an extended component warranty on the engine for an additional 3 years or 60,000 miles from the date of repairs.
    When you get the customer care rep they will try to sell you a discounted extended warranty and insist the warranty cannot be extended for free. Ask for a supervisor and be very persistent. It took me about 3 conversations and much persistence with Castro to get the extended warranty. Make sure you point out this has been an ongoing problem since 04 on the Colorado.
    Also just for FYI the dealers and customer care reps will all act as if they know nothing of the valve problem but there is a tech bulletin issued by Chevrolet for the Colorado and they will extend the warranty even after repairs are made.

Good luck to all!
  • donnyrdonnyr Posts: 15
    I just purchased a 2008 Canyon in December and was pleased with the truck, but noticed each morning or after the car cooled down, upon cranking the engine I have a knock in the engine only briefly, but yet a knock. I went to the dealer and asked to crank other Canyons on the lot. I cranked approximately 5 with no noise. So I informed service that my Canyon sounded like a diesel when cranking cold and smoothed shortly after. First they informed me it was the catalytic converter, then fan noise, then called me back and wanted permission to drive the truck 35 or 40 miles because of the fuel injectors. The truck has less than 1000 miles. They gave me a truck to drive and I've had that truck for one month. Now the dealer is telling me that my truck is drivable, for me to come get it, and they would have an engineer later on to come in to see the truck, but that I should drive it until he comes to see it. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated due to the fact that GM had to buy back my GMC Envoy three years ago. Should I get my truck or should I leave it with the dealer until they find the problem? I am afraid that driving it might damage the truck or possibly breakdown. Signed, HELP!
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I'd try to get them to take back the truck and exchange it for another new one. The longer this goes on the less likely that the dealer will do anything for you. Good luck.
  • donnyrdonnyr Posts: 15
    THANKS for your input but the dealer has told me that they just cannot do that ,that GM has to step in and resolve the issue. The reginal service manager called today and stated that my issue was the only one of it's kind. so we got on a three way line with my service manager here and he informed the regional manager that there were others surfacing. Now I'm in a wait and see what GM has to declare.