Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• thanks for the help. Do you know if it is common in the I-5?

Thanks
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Check out the forum for engine problems. Also, you may consider switching to a higher quality oil (e.g. synthetic). Good luck.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    No, I am not sure about the I5 and fuel injector sounds. A friend has a Dodge Intrepid and that was his issue though his injectors were going bad. Sounded almost like the engine valves initially when I checked it out.

Put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas and see what happens.
  • hi
    sorry to hear about your problem .I also had the same issue read my post on my 08 canyon they finally had to take it back . the problem centers around the timing chain tensioner. They adjusted mine and the issue went away not totally but better .I didnt accept it. Now i have another 08 canyon which had the same issue they adjusted the tensioner and i am pleased with it so far. My truck (#1) had less than a thosand miles on it at the time . Don't let them tell you that this issue doesn't exist. I researched it and went to dealers and cranked brand new trucks and it is not some common to the I-5 eng GM HAS AN ISSUE!!! stick to your guns GM has a fix and knows ful well that it is an issue .don' let them snow you with the warrenity thats a cop out. I use the word ISSUE because GM says THAT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM BUT AN ISSUE, TO ME IT's A SERIOUS PROBLEM
    GOOD LUCK semper fi
  • Thanks for the help. I'll make a call monday.
  • I have a 2004 that does the same thing. I was told that its because i had install the wrong type of oil filter, one with out a check valve. But I know that is not the reason for the sound. I've been changing the oil regularily and have had installed factor GM filter. My sound is getting worse and it now clatters while driving down the road. I to love my truck and am concerned about the problem. I have been a Mechanic for over 30 years and I know what loose or bad valves sound like, But the dealer said that my problem isn't covered by the GM warrantee or recall letter because there isn't any trouble codes that come up or any miss fires. So as it is right now. They will not do any thing and probably never will.
  • The only person that has changed my oil is the dealer. I only have 4500 miles on the truck.

thanks very much for the feedback
  • Guys, the oil filter having or not having a check valve would NOT be an issue with the Canyon/Colorado engine. The filter is in the VERTICAL position on this engine, so how would the oil drain from it, when the engine is shut off??

The dealer is giving you a load of "hooey".......

BTW, I've been using Baldwin filters in my Canyon ever since the first oil change, and I've had no such issues. (Oil changes every 2000 miles, 25,000 miles currently on truck)
  • Guys its not the oil filter I'm telling you from exp that GM knows the issue and has a fix and it exist in the TIMMING CHAIN TENSIONER ADJUSTER > ASK THEM ABOUT THE REPAIR IT HAPPENED TO ME TWICE ON BOTH MY )08CANYONS ONE THEY TOOK BACK. HOPE THAT THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR ISSUE
    SEMPER fi
  • i have the same problem on my 2009 chevy colorado 4cylinder right after first gear on a fresh start i hear like a spring noise its annoying is this normal, i took it to the dealership and they told me that they cant to anything beacuse the engine is brand new with only 1500 miles they said to wait atleast until i get 3000 mi then if the problem continious then they crack they engine open. what should i do
  • I have the same problem on my 2009 chevy colorado 4cylinder right after first gear on a fresh start i hear like a spring noise its annoying is this normal, i took it to the dealership and they told me that they cant to anything beacuse the engine is brand new with only 1500 miles they said to wait atleast until i get 3000 mi then if the problem continious then they crack they engine open. what should i do
  • I recently had my check engine light go on. I have an 04 4wd canyon w/ z71 pkg, 5-cyl. I took it in to autozone to check the codes and a code corresponding to a bad o2 sensor came up. I changed the gas filter (removed the neg cable) and the ck engine light went away (i have 30 k on it). However later about 200 miles later the ck engine light came on again and then went away. I have not seen the engine light come back for about 100 miles.
    Any thoughts if this is the initial signs of the bad cylinder head problem i have seen on this discussion board. Thanks.
  • Thanks for you responce, I was thought the same thing. I have been making sure to change my oil regularily. I guess i will look into taking care of the chain tentioner. Then we'll see if there is a difference.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    That is a sign of a poor dealer service center. If a mechanic/service manager can't diagnose a problem without codes than they are not very good at what they do. Check with another dealership.
  • i had the same problem with my colorado. About the tensioner.The service center said it takes a second to pump up the racket system on the tensioner.Well that sounds like a premature wear problem. My truck sounds like a deisel starting up.They told me to stop using any other filter except delco.I tried it and it didnt change the noise at start up.Heres another problem. Has anyone noticed and abnormal wear on the inside of there front tires.The factory set them in so they will not rub the inner wheel well. The dealership should of changed this if they did the new car prep right.My front tires are at the wear bars at 12,000 miles.So spread the news maybe GM might be listening.They wont listen to my truck problems.
  • dont all valves have hardened valve seat after they got rid of leaded gas.In the 70's
  • "dbcrue", yes, valve seats became hardened at that point in time. However, many engines today, including those in the Canyon, have aluminum cylinder heads. That in itself, would require valve seat inserts of some kind, as aluminum is way too soft to act as a valve seat.

In fact, my first car, a 1965 Chevy Corvair, had an aluminum engine, and valve seat inserts in the heads.
  • I have the same problem. Have a 05, 63.000 miles, this is the 3rd set of tires.
    Can anything be done to correct this problem.
    What a headache this truck is........the only reason I am keeping it....am not willing to take the money loss.
  • "cruznt2", are your tires wearing evenly across the tread? If not, then you should have the front end alignment performed on the truck, before throwing more tires at it. If they are wearing evenly, and simply wearing out, I suggest you buy better tires.

If it's any consolation, when I bought my '05 Canyon 4x4, it came with the 265/75/15 General Ameritech tires. Poorest excuse for a tire I've ever driven on. They were off the truck within a week (3-400 miles), and I say this in all honesty, I GAVE THEM AWAY!!
  • I HAVE A 2008 COLORADO WITH 3.7L. TOOK IT TO THE DEALER FOR ENGINE NOISE.THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THE FRAM OIL FILTER. THEY PUT ON A AC FILTER.TOOK IT BACK NOISE WAS GETTING WORSE.THEY REBUILT PART OF THE BOTTEM END.GOT IT BACK SEEMED OK.AFTER A WEEK THE NOISE WAS WORSE THAN EVER. TOOK IT BACK .THEY REBUILT THE COMPLETE BOTTEM END. GOT IT BACK SEEMED OK.A FEW DAYS LATER THE NOISE WAS BACK.THEY ORDERED AN ENGINE FROM THE ASSEMBLY LINE IN CANADA. WAS PUT IN THIS PAST THURSDAY....THE NEW ENGINE IS WORSE THAN THE OLD ONE!!! IT SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL EVERY TIME I START IT .I LIKE THE TRUCK