Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• jimmygedjimmyged Posts: 8
    My 05 Colorado with the I5 engine coded "misfire" on me. At about 59k on the warranty. I brought it to the dealer right away were they told me it needed a new head job. This was completly under warranty. OK they do the head and I am a happy customer, they cought a big one before the warranty is up at 60k. Now it is at 61k not even 2 thousand miles after they did the job and it is misfiring worse than ever! It`s running on 3 cyls! The dealer say`s if it was from their work it will be covered, but if not it`s on me! Has anybody like me already had the head replaced and now has a worse skip than ever? I cannot even drive this to the stealer I will have to tow it down on monday! By the way when I first got it back it was running like a bull, I could tell it had so much more compression in it. It was running very strong and I had no real issuses with this truck. I am very mechaniclly inclined and do all my own PM on it. So has anybody alread had their head replaced and now has even more problems with this engine? I am wondering if I should just unload this thing before I get the big one tucked to me!
  • Same problem with our 05 Colorado. Check Engine light kept coming on - had valves raplaced. Came back on again - finally diagnosed as a cracked manifold. Truck has 110,000 (90% highway). Will start the fight with GM, but don't see them doing anything. Will probably get the same crap about it being over the warranty, but how often do manifold crack ??
  • Actually, cracked exhaust manifolds on trucks built since the 1970s are pretty common, especially those that are used for towing. Keep in mind that these vehicles have a smog pump which pumps cold air into the manifold when on compression. Typically what happens is that the manifold gets very hot pulling heavy loads up a hill, then cold air hits it on the downhill slope, and crack. At least that's what I was told, and with cast iron, it makes sense. Of course, your truck may not have been used for heavy loads, in which case my post is nonsense. :-)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. When did the problems first occur with your vehicle? Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, what is the case number? What is the VIN on the vehicle? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • lhouselhouse Posts: 1
    my 05 canyon did it tow times then one day it lost power for two blocks than ran fine take it to dealer found it needed a fuel pump.
  • bill274bill274 Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Have an 08 canyon ( 5cyl) bought used from dealership. About 6 months ago I started smelling a strong gas oder at start up. Will take it to dealership as soon as the weather warms up so I can ride my motercycle, can not get loner vehicle form dealership. Has anyone experienced this problem? Called dealership,they say they have never heard of this before. Thanks
  • scobertscobert Posts: 1
    Yes, clean the throttle body. It is so simple to do, follow the instructions provided by longrunner1. Don't let a repair shop tell you that you need a new throttle body, like mine did. Just remove and clean it. Did it this weekend. Runs like new and no check engine light.
  • tallowtallow Posts: 1
    Not sure where to even begin or what post to even put this under. Several months ago my husbands 2005 GMC Canyon's check engine light came on. We took it to our trusted mechanic and he told us that it had a vaccume leak according to the codes. It idles really rough and sometimes dies at stop lights. After a week he still couldn't find the leak. After two weeks the engine started "clunking" when put into drive or reverse. At first we thought we might need to replace the transmission but yesterday it started whistling and squeeling really loudly when the gas was applied but stopped when pressure to the gas was removed. We wondered if it would do this while in park and nothing, until we rocked the vehicle a little, the clanking seemed to be coming from the joint at the drive shaft connect? Any idea's?? We only have two payments left and the vehicle has 70,000 miles on it.
  • Throttle body yes- from what you're describing, also check u-joints and the driveshaft carrier bearing. The clunk sounds like a u-joint to me; the factory ones aren't greaseable, so when you get new ones, make sure they have grease fittings. (220k miles and still going!)
    Hello Tallow,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • lift4041lift4041 Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Colorado. The hood is already rusting out on the front face of it. I started to see small pin sized rust spots appearing months ago, now it is getting worse. The rust is coming from the inside. Is this a common problem with the colorado's or is it just a problem with mine?
  • My ABS brake default light came on approximately 1 month after a GM dealer completed a brake job on my truck. The dealer claimed it had nothing to do with their work, however they did a diagnostic test and advised me that the right from wheel sensor and hub bearing needed replacement.

To avoid being further gouged by the dealer, I bought the necessary GM AC Delco parts online and replaced the hub bearing and wheel sensor myself. The ABS light comes on and then clears after initial start up, but the ABS breaking kicks in upon braking (on dry pavement) and then the ABS Default warning light comes back on. Once the light comes on, the ABS doesn't continue to engage and the truck breaks fine, although I'm fairly certain the ABS function still isn't working (I have yet to test it on wet pavement).

It's as if the sensor was never replaced as this is the same problem I had. Does the computer need to be reset in order for the wheel sensor to function properly? If so, please advise. I tried disconnecting the battery believing that would reset the computer but it didn't work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
  • lift4041lift4041 Posts: 6
    I posted a question last week about rust appearing on the front of the hood.
    I think that I figured out why this is happening. The battery has a vent tube that is directed to just behind the grill on the drivers side. It my belief that the fumes from the battery are escaping at this point and lingering under the hood lip. On my Colorado the rust first started to appear on the inside of the hood in this area. Now due to the constant exposure to the battery acid fumes, the hood is rusting much worse. Hopefully no one else has this issue. Because the only rememedy for me is to replace the hood. Just 66,000 miles on it.
  • I just took my truck to a good friend who ran the computer on the truck and came up with several problems, including P068 Throttle Body Airflow Proformance, P0106 Manifold absolute pressure or barometric pressure circuit, range or proformance problem, P300 Random/mutiple cylinder misfire, P0442 Evaporitive emission system, small leak, P0455 Evaporitive emission (EVAP) control system leak detected (no purge flow or large leak) P0503 Vehicle speed sensor circuit, Intermittent, erratic or high input, and P1133 O2 insufficient switching B1S1. The only thing i have done that is aftermarket is a K&N cold air intake. The crazy thing is that this all happened at once. If anyone has any advice i would greatly appreciate it.
  • bmintonbminton Posts: 16
    I had all the same readings on my 2006 GMC Canyon with the 2.8 liter. The dealership replaced the Cam Solenoid Actuator. I had 121535 on my engine. My mileage is now 162435 and it is doing it again. There needs to be a recall or I am thinking about a class action lawsuit. Anybody want to join. I think that the letter for a recall they sent out on November 2008 for the intake valve seats may wear was the real problem, but they covered it up with this Cam Solenoid Actuator bull. I really think GM is screwing people on this.
  • sean91sean91 Posts: 10
    Mariah, GM Customer Service. Yeah, right. Like, "Please to e-mail me your social security number just for verification purposes."
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Mariah is exactly who she says she is - GM has Edmunds' permission for her to be here.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Hello Sean91,
    I never ask for social security number but, I do ask customers for some personal information that I am sure they don't want posted on a forum. So for security reasons for our customers and courtesy to the rules of the forum I ask for people to email me. Thank you,
  • bmintonbminton Posts: 16
    I took my 2006 GMC Canyon to Walker GMC in Alexandria, Louisiana today. The truck had a miss with a code of PO496. They called me and said they were going to replace the purge valve. They say they took a fuel sample and found water and metal shavings in my fuel. Now get this. The service adviser asks me, are you sitting down? We found these shavings in your fuel rails. You are going to have to replace your fuel pump, fuel injectors spark plugs, filters and everything else. He said until you replace all these things your truck is going to miss. By the way its going to cost over 2000.00. I said not to replace any of those things. I pick it up and go straight to NAPA and buy some new spark plugs. I get home and replace the spark plugs and the truck runs great. No more miss. If it has got so bad that Obama Motors has to rip people off to make money than I say to hell with them. From now on I will do my own work. People beware of these crooked GM Dealerships. They will rip you off. Shame on Government Motors I mean Obama Motors. :mad:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    So according to you everyone in the world who rips you off has something to do with Obama. If you'd have left out the last bit of bull then I'd have felt for you but you lost all my respect with the last outburst. Through the years my Chevy dealer and G.M. has treated me great including providing warranty work of over $1600 with me kicking in $360 for a vehicle that was almost 18 months out of warranty. I guess I got lucky and got a G.W. Bush dealer. :P :P :shades: