Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    stshimon,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email me your VIN.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • labboylabboy Posts: 2
    My 2006 4 cyl truck has done the same for 5 consecutive mornings. However after the sun came up and warmed the truck it started and ran smoothly all day for hundreds of miles with much starting and stopping each day. Then I took it in to my local shop and it began to run even worse. I've had many problems with intermittent rough engine running when the outside temperature is blazing hot. Each time this happened I turned off the AC and within about 10 minutes the misfires stopped and the engine ran ok for hours of interstate driving.
  • I can`t think of anything that could piss me off more than buying a new truck with all these engine problems! For the first time in my life I spend $29,000.00 on a brand new 2005 LS Chevy Colorado Z79 4dr. and it comes with a faulty head and much more! Yeh I just caught the head problem while still under warrenty, but the techs are instructed to put the old plugs back in the new head and don`t you know it two of the five, foul out and the engine ran so ruff that it would throw my water bottle out of the drink holder onto the floor! Back to the shop it goes and more time going without my truck! Why don`t the cheap Bastards down at GM Let us know that they are going to do this and give us the option of at least buying new plugs and install them while they got the headout anyway! I couldn`t even think of doing a job like that! That is so half [non-permissible content removed] to me! Plugs are cheap money for the problems they could bring! All and all as a result of this big [non-permissible content removed] GM flop of a truck I spent alot of money and have nothing to show for it now! I am so PISSED at GM! I wish I got that Nissan truck I was looking at instead! My friend got his Nissan truck at the same time I got my "Edsel" Colorado and still has it with never having any problems at all! GOOD LUCK GM! You have lost not just one customer here but now you lost a whole family of GM buyers. Between my wife and son and I we have bought seven GM products in the last twelve years! Our records will show a Geo,S-10,Colarado,Cobalt,Equinox,Cavalier, and an SS Impala! No more for GM! When I spend almost 30K for a truck with whistles and bells I expect it to run! I am a maintenance freak and never miss changing oil or filters I take exceptional care of all my vehicles I don`t need to be driving down the coast worrying if the Camshaft is going to lock up on me! Hummm, Maybe a Ford Escape XLT in the near future? Nissan Frontier? I`ll know after my test drives!
  • Colorado= :lemon:
    I usually get kissed when I get SCREWED!!!!
    Thanks GM! Love you to!
  • donnyrdonnyr Posts: 15
    Sorry to hear about your canyon I had the same exp. with GM . My canyon was not a week old and i noticed a knocking noise in the engine just as it cranked and lasted about 20 sec. sounded like a dis. and just go away . So i drove up to the dealer and told them my sit. and they informed me that all straight 6 do that, so i ask if thats so would they mind if i just cranked another canyon on the lot and just rest my susp. about the issue. Well we cranked 5 of them and none sounded like mine. So to make a long story short ,after Water pump, fanblades and belts. Cat converter,thermostat, Timing chain, back in and timing chain tensioner, and 4 months and NO TRUCK STILL IN THEIR SHOP Gm calls me and says that the engineers there see no problem with this truck and they are not going any futher with their TS. Besides They told me that your warenty was the best in the business. I told them that if i was going to buy a truck with problems i would have bought a used one. So i told the dealer that i would not accept the truck back in this condition and that i wanted a NEW truck. They Said no. The dealer told me that there diffently was a problem and they proceeded to buy back my truck and get me in a new one .
    So now i have a new truck not many miles on it BUT this is the SECOND time GM has had to buy back a veh. from me because of the PISS POOR Quality from GM. They bought back a Envoy from me but didn't want to but the dam thing wouldn't crank to get it off the lot they had that veh. 6 mon. Electrical problems Never did find BUT didn't want to fix
    So I'm here today to inform all that i have bought my last GOVERMENT MOTORS VEH.
  • hi,i have a 2005 colorado 4x4 z71 ls i have had these issues in the past,mine would randomly not start everything checked out good found out it was the security system shutting off the fuel and fire to the engine the garage told me if i leave the key in the on position for a half hour it will reset its self,i know this is not much consolation if your in a hurry the garage said i needed to take it to the dealership because they could not fix it the computer needed to be reflashed (whatever that means)anyhow that was 300.00 need less to say it did not help i hope this will help this is just the beginning of the problems i have had these trucks are lemons gm needs to step up because they sure have lost a lifetime chevy person.
  • I forgot to mention that I sold my 2010 HHR also because it can`t drive in a snow dusted parkinglot! That would be 8 GM vehicles I had bought in the last 12 yrs. When I get stuck in a perfectly flat parking lot because it is a little snowy that just sucks! GM you got to really start thinking about what you are doing! No more new GM`s for my family. To bad for you.
  • I bought my first Chevy in 1951. My 2005 Chevy Colorado is the LAST GM product I or any member of my family will ever purchase. It has MAJOR starting problems; began six months ago. TWICE TODAY it has refused to start. Each time, I wait ten minutes, cross my fingers, light a candle, and try again. It's a disaster.
    coloradolemo1,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mulerider,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? Can you please send me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I am also having this prolem but i have a 2.8 ltr 4 cyl. Are they having the same problem with it.
    flajohn1,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Does anyone have know why depressing the brake pedal would cause the in-dash left turn signal light to illuminate?

The dash indicator light illuminates as well as ticks. It will flash and tick as rapidly as the brake pedal is depressed, and will stay illuminated as long as the brake is held. When the the right turn signal is engaged, depressing the brake causes the right turn signal to stop ticking, although it flashes normally. When the left signal is engaged, irregular symptoms ranging from normal function to erratic ticking to fast flash and ticking occur. Interestingly, the outside front and rear flashers function correctly.

Presumably, there's a short causing the problem. I believe it might be a faulty trailer harness loom, although, I'm currently experiencing other electrical issues with this truck such as a fuel cap warning, engine light warning illumination (with no code) ABS brake warning and no-start phantoms. My ABS brakes have not functioned for 3 years even after spending over $1,000 to have them fixed. With a history of electrical problems I've had with this truck, it's never a surprise when something electronic goes a muck, only a mystery. It could be the computing systems on these trucks are defective as I've had regular electrical problems since the day I bought it.

I appreciate any suggestions that will help minimize the damage. I can't afford to let the dealer play a guessing game with the meter running as I've previously experienced with my never repaired ABS braking system.

Thank you, from a life-long GM loyalist who will most likely never buy another.
  • I'm thinking a bad ground at the tail lights, or perhaps a corroded socket where the bulb goes in. check it out.
  • Thanks for your tip. Appreciate your help. Have a cap as well and rewired all brake light connections, including the ground. I've taken flasher bulbs out, cleaned, reinstalled, and have same problem. Found the problem goes away when I disconnect trailer loom right side, however, the brake lights don't work at all when loom is disconnected so not 100% sure. Is there a way to test with a meter? Hate to pop for new loom if not the problem.
  • Hmmm...I'd need to have a diagram in front of me, but what I'd do is fix the brake lights first without the trailer hookup connected at all. Maybe you lost the regular ground and the trailer loom gives you a half-fast one?
  • Yeah, thinking like you, I disconnected the trailer loom and thought to check the brakes without it because the factory trailer harness fizzed the 2nd year I had the truck. Unfortunately, you can't simply eliminate the harness. It's a T-connection loom with a converter in-line with the trailer plug. If you eliminate the harness, you're left with two female connectors for the left and right side tail light loom wiring. I'm not sure how to test the tail lights and brakes without it, other than splicing everything (nightmare). Probably should just buy an AM trailer harness, try it, and return it if it doesn't work. Appreciate your suggestions.
  • Ah, I see. A factory install sounds like? Electrical issues can be quite a challenge, even for the pros. How much is this harness?
  • GM trailer converter looms are over $100 as are some after market brands, although I've found a Curt's on-line as low as $24.00. Not sure about differences, quality or otherwise. As mentioned, my original GM factory loom fizzed within 2 years. I replaced it with an AM, which, if bad, has lasted 3 years. Think I'll be spraying the back of plugs with rubber sealer this time.
  • lkhomlkhom Posts: 4
    Tail lights on GM canyon/chey were recalls, they will fix for free