Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• I bought this 06 colorado 4 cyl. with around 70000 miles on it, it ran fine at that time. About a year and a half later with only 77000 miles on it, I was driving home from work it just died on me. I brought it to the shop, they ended up replacing the ignition cylinder and two coil packs. It ran fine for a few months and then the check engine light came in with the same symtoms (it would start, idle really rough and then die. Try and start it again and it would crank and crank and sound terrible but not start). Checked the spark and another coil pack went bad. Replaced that, then it ran ok. A week later, it did the same thing except this time I went to turn it over again and all the dash lights came in but it wouldn't even turn over. After some investigation I found it burned up another coil pack and blew the ignition fuse. Replaced those parts and low and behold a week later it happened again. Frustrated I finally brought it to the Chevrolet dealership to get a diagnostic done on it. It came back that the #1 and 3 coils where not firing. I replaced those, started it up went to back up and it died again. Tried to restart it, just to find out I blew the ignition fuse again. Does anyone know what could be causing all this mayham??? Could it be the cylinder head like I've been reading about in this forum??

Thank you for any help,

gcanavy
  • We can set up a Customer Assistance Case and follow up with your dealership for you on this, if you like. These are evaluated on a case-by-case basis with the goal of resolving vehicle concerns. If you would like to get a case started, please email us more information (include your name and contact information, your involved dealership and an account of your visits there for these concerns (if applicable), and the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah,

I have a 2006 Hummer H3 (25k miles) with the same L5 3.5 engine as the Colorado / Canyon and the cylinder misfire problem. My GM dealer is running a leak down test tomorrow. I sent a separate email to you with my VIN. I hope you can help us! Thanks in advance.
  • I have a colorado 2006 and i had just a lot of problems
    Almost all Seals always leaking
    4x4 modulator went out because of failure of the ingeniering of the water drain in the windshield
    leaf springs broke with a small atv in it
    drive shaft broke and transfer case had been changed
    emergency brake had been replaced three times
    check engine always on (misfire code and something about the gas cap)
    I'm in Canada and i also have problems with the brakes in the winter
    This morning its running on three cylinder and don't ask me why
    cause my answer will be is not a good truck at all. Maybe if you use it as a car and your eighty years old and you live in california Maybe. I wish they fired the ingeneers that build this truck. It would make me fell better to know that.
    N.B These are not all the troubles i had with that truck

thanks Lewis
  • omaitaomaita Posts: 16
    1. I use to have a Colorado 2006, crew cab, LT, 4x4. "A lot of problems" is not right, the truck itself it was a problem.

2. Gaskets, Seals, Brake Sensors, Ignitor, ABS Fault issues, and the last one for me "A broken transmission".

3. Chevy dealers are good only on Sales Department, Service just sucks, seems to be that they don't know what's going on, or just try to extend the time you have with the problem ultil the warranty expires.

4. Original brakes last only 4,000 miles. And any noise close to your wheels Service Dept. just said are the brakes.

5. I didn't use the "truck" to work, just to get my daughter's bike and eventually carry a new furniture from IKEA. Only 42K miles on it.

6. Maybe they should buy the parts from Japan and send them to Canada or Mexico to put them together.

What was the solution: I SOLD THE CAR AND I JUST GET A HONDA RIDGELINE, for my needs it's perfect. :shades:
  • Good morning, Lewis,

I am sorry that your Colorado has not been satisfactory vehicle for you, and understand how inconvenient it can be to have made multiple repairs. From reading your post, it seems that your current concerns are with leaking seals, the 4x4 modulator, leaf springs, an illuminated check engine light, and brake concerns. It may be worthwhile to get into contact with GM of Canada, who can be reached at 800-263-3777. I would offer to assist myself, but as I am based in the United States, I'm limited to assisting U.S. drivers.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 06 GMC cayon, luv this truck about 68000 mi on it and lot left to go, but about 10 times now, I bought used 1 year ago. I go to start and you hear fuel pump kick in but nothing all that happens is starter runs if you wait 15-30 min. try again kicks right over. I just droped off at dealer but I know I will hear famous words "We can not find anything wrong" I cannot call when broke down it will start by the time they get there. I was told that it is in the security system thats why it will not fire. makes sence to me because you hear fuel rush up but no fire- wait up to half hour try again starts first hit. Please help Gm
  • Please keep us posted on the progress of the diagnosis at the dealership. We're available for follow up if you would like!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • coloradobrakescoloradobrakes Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Took my 2005 Chevy Colorado in for a 50,000 mile oil change. Car has 52,332 miles. Ended up with a $2146.58 repair bill. They said front brakes had corrison and broke? Asked for a detailed bill and the bill is all in codes. Here is an example of the
    ; Replace Ft Pads and Rotors
    M Replaced ft pads and rotors and rh ft sensor
    (broken upon removal)
    2875 CTC5 $571.20
    2 19288572 PAD KIT $85.90 56.66 113.98
    2 19241830 ROTOR $64.99 64.99 129.98
    1 15176998 SENSOR $107.14 107.14 107..14

Thats just an example, the bill has many more weird things and services including to replace fuel cap0 and the vent valve $179.20 for ctc5, $33 for cap, another $232.88 for f-valve.
    p0449, p0445 scan code. They said they discovered vent valve shorted and gas cap leaking?
    In total they hit me up for $1160.68 in labor charges, another $836.14 for parts. for a please pay total amount of $2146.58. This just seems out of control. Can anyone please just give me an idea if any of this sounds accurate or if I got taken hard. The car went into the shop at 1pm thursday and they said they finished it and let me pick it up at 5:00pm friday. So car was only in shop for a total of 28 hours. PLace is only open til 5pm. So they were not working on the car for 28 hours straight. How do they come up with $1160 for labor? Any help or input in the matter would be greatly apprieciated. Thank you
  • I usually get kissed when I get screwed like that! A little dinner maybe some wine, cheap talk, You know I like to play hard to get first! BaHahaha!!! Yah bud all of us who bought a Colorado got really screwed! Thats why I just all out gave up on it and sold it while it was still worth something! I am so pissed at GM for the first time in my life I buy a truck for almost 30k and it was nothing but problems! My advise to you is to get that thing running right and walk away as fast as you can!
  • msz40msz40 Posts: 1
    Sarah,

My dad bought his 2004 colorado 3.5 4x4 new from Valley Chevrolet in Wilkes-barre, PA. He has been having a misfire issue, also throwing codes. He had it to the dealer but it did not throw a code for them. It idled rough but said since no code was thrown, they could not diagnose. Truck had approx 60K on it. Now it has just over 80k and he had it to local garage. They swapped coil and problem stayed with cyl 2 i believe. The plugs were changed and several tanks of fuel were through it. He doesn't have the recepit from his vist to the dealer, but does the dealer have to honor warranty since it was in there previously for same issue?

We just saw all the issues others are having concerning the exhaust valves and seals.

Thanks,

Mike Szewczyk on behalf of Joe Szewczyk
  • Good morning, Mike,
    This is a very good and fair question. For the 2004 model year, Chevrolet vehicles had the Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles that the vehicle was in service. The Powertrain Limited Warranty wasn't applied to Chevrolets (and other brands) until model year 2007. As the vehicle was out of warranty on mileage at the initial visit, and presumably time, a warranty repair isn't likely. I know this isn't necessarily the answer you were hoping to hear, and I apologize.

However, if work were to be performed at one of our dealerships, or if parts were to be purchased from us for repair elsewhere, there are warranties that would come into effect. If you would like more information on that, please let me know!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I Have a 2005 GMC Canyon, Love the truck over all however I Have a Reduce power fault and a Traction control fault light coming on. I am told it is my PCM, I was also told that Part is covered under warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles is that correct?

Thank you in advance
    Pam
  • Good morning Pam,
    The Federal Emission Performance Warranty on a 2005 GMC is contingent upon whether or not an EPA-approved inspection and maintenance inspection is enforced in your area. We would be happy to check into the coverage on your vehicle (sometimes can depend upon where the vehicle was originally sold) if you were to send us an email with the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hello Sarah,
    Had similair issues. Traced it to the throttle body. What I learned is the Colorado intake system is very sensitive to any kind of debris build up in the throttle body. Now I just repace the throttle body every 50K miles and it seems to take care of that and other issues. Part is about $280. Make sure to buy a new "o" ring gasket for it.
  • This is great information, john04colorado, and I'm glad that you found a solution for your vehicle! Thanks for the post - hopefully it's useful to other members of the community.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am new to the forums. My canyon started this saturday afternoon. Let it cool down drive a quarter mile and the same thing happens. Each time I cleared the code using OBDII and let it set. Eventually the canyon returned home powered by a flatbed with $190. The dealerships can't connect to the recall database provided by GM until 13 Feb. With two people who work and only one GMC running, I need help and/or advice.
  • I seem to be having the same issue with my '04 Canyon (2.8 4 cyl) as I am coming up on 85,000 miles. Some mornings it won't start, just starter grinds and grinds; I give up and take the other car. This morning truck did start, at lunch time did start to let me leave parking garage, 15 min later would NOT start after I had picked up lunch. Called AAA for tow, tried one last time 5 min after non-start and it DID fire up this time, took to dealership anyway. I had never got any amber check engine lights/codes.

They could not replicate problem, fuel pump pressure was good, fuel filter dirty enough to warrant changing. In all their fiddlin with it they got one code once (did they say crank sensor?). They took off an intake hose and shined light in to TBI and showed me carbon build-up at top, and while not claiming that was the root of problem, are recommending fuel injection system cleaning for a couple hundred bucks and I will probably authorize that. Someone online here mentioned AC connection to all this ... I do believe mine was off the first two times today when it stared, and that I had turned it on at mid-day before it did not start. This is where I am at this point.
  • I'm new to this forum. My wife and I am retired so we don't have money to throw away. I went to a Chevy dealer to get an estimate for repairs on my 2006 Chevy Colorado 32,426 miles. I told them my check engine light was on. I also had it read at an auto parts store the Error codes were P0785 and P2610. They told me that I would have to pay $96.50 to have it checked out and had no idea what the problems were. It doesn't seem fair that since the truck has a module on it to tell what the problem is that I would have to spend $96.50 to get an estimate when the trouble codes are there. Seems like a rip-off to me just to get an estimate.