Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• jpfjpf Posts: 496
    A used S10 would have been a better choice. The 4.3 liter V6 is a far more reliable engine than the Colorado's 5 cylinder engine.
  • jeasseyjeassey Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    I just purchased a 2006 H3 with 70000 miles. It experiences a rough idle. Post purchase, I find out about the valve seat issue. The direct question; is GM warranteeing the valve seat and/ or head replacement on this 3.5L Engine?

I did locate the following and my VIN# falls in to the list.

#PIP3935D: Misfire At Idle Due To Leaking Intake Valves - Supplement To 07-06-01-011 - keywords 2.8L 3.5L compression controls cylinder driveability DTC engine excessive head high L52 LK5 leakage leakdown low - (Mar 18, 2008)

Subject: Misfire at Idle due to Leaking Intake Valves - Supplement to 07-06-01-011

Models: 2004-2005 Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon

2006 Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon

and Last 6 of VIN Less than 287698

2006 Hummer H3

and Last 6 of VIN Less than 287591
  • If we can check into this further for you, jeassey, please send us your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN at socialmedia@gm.com

Regards,
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • i have a 2005 GMC Canyon , experiencing rough idling. just found out that they have value seat issues. it's coming up with a misfire code. my last 6 Vin numbers are less than 287698. Is GM warranteeing the value seat/head replacement on this 3.5L engine?
  • I own a 2006 Colorado Crew Cab. After all the problems ( several brake pedal switches, A/C problems , rear brake lamps , cam shaft sensors, and now check engine lights w/ misfires). I surrender my Chevy loyalty to " Nissan of America".
    I just gave my local chevy dealer the last check I will ever write for repairs to a Chevy vehicle.
    It just cost me $567.80, for a check engine light and A/C problem, that returned the next morning, and be told to have it towed , we'll check it again.
    After going again I was told its mass air sensor , that we wont have till tomorrow, but you can drive it till then.
    Hopefully its not the know issue with the valve intake leak, which they don't even mention. I just want to get it running so I can trade it in for a Nissan Titan.
    I have bought maybe 9 or 10 new Chevies over the years, this Colorado will be my last.
    Good Bye GM , I can see your on your way out. Please just close up , don't screw millions more before you close your doors. All of your engineers should be fired anyway, they are useless!
  • Thats what I did with my 05 crew cab! I got it running and ran, ran, ran! I didn`t even look back! No more chevys for me and I bought many over the years! Ford escape fan myself. Good luck with your new nissan. I`m sure your going to like the dependablity.
  • I understand you're working on the truck right now to trade it; if we can be of any assistance at this time please let us know. I'm sorry to hear that you are moving on from Chevrolet, and still want to wish you many safe miles ahead.
  • Yeah, its ashame what happened to GM, they just don't get it.
    I have a 05 Sante Fe i bought because of a very bad experience with a Venture. In the 7 years I have it , only put on tires and a set of brakes , in 60,000 miles. Never a problem. Now I gave the vehicle to my daughter , she still drives it no problems. My wife liked the Nissan Rogue, we have that 2 years now , never a problem , and just had it serviced , oil change , check all fluids , rotate tires and 32 point check. Bill was $21.19.
    Had trouble with a Lumina, s-10, APV, Venture , and Colorado.
    Why would I ever consider GM again!
    Good luck with your Ford.
  • jeasseyjeassey Posts: 2
    The response from GM is appreciated, the communications via e mail and phone calls has reassured me that any known mechanical issues with my vehicle will be addressed. Lets face it, occasional problems in manufacturing and design of any product is inevitable. How a company responds and resolves these issues is the true measure of commitment to a long term customer relationship.
  • colo06colo06 Posts: 4
    The only way i found to fix my 2006 colorado was to sell it.

It work so great no more check engines and expensives problems I'm so happy now.
  • colo06colo06 Posts: 4
    good luck !! :)
  • sarah, I'm hoping you can help me before I contact an attorney. I own a 2006 H3 w vin # with last 6 being 108901. This falls within the range with problems. However, nobody at gm customer service seems to know what I'm talking about. My vehicle is currently in pieces and has been diagnosed with failed valve seat #5 and they are waiting to proceed until this is resolved. Please contact me at 360 4344808. My name is Sunshine. You can also reach me at goldenshiner@comcast.net. Thank you.
  • Good afternoon goldensun,

I found your Service Request and just wanted to find out some details if I could -

What dealership is your vehicle currently at?
    Do you know the name of your Service Contract (extended warranty) company? I do not see a General Motors Protection Plan on your vehicle.

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I did my homework, on this site, I knew about the head issue & bought a used '05 with the 3.5 I5 with 95,000 miles on it that had the head replaced at 82,000. I had 101,900 on the odometer when my mechanic told me the miss wasn't a bad coil but was the 30lbs of compression in #3 cylinder :lemon: . I took it to the dealer & $2900 later it didn't miss anymore & I had a 12 month 12000 mile warranty on ANOTHER GM head. I was very upset when I was told how much it would cost, I called the Chevrolet Service number & was told they would look into it. 24 hours later I was told they wouldn't cover a penny of it :sick: ! IF THE HEAD HAD FAILED PRIOR TO THE OFFICIAL 100,400 MILE MARK they might have done something but since, fool that I am, I waited another 1500 miles before allowing it to fail, it somehow became completely MY FAULT!!! :confuse: The Chevrolet person nor the service people at the dealership were unable to explain this bit of GM logic to me.
    The funny(read extremely sad)part of this is I was leaning toward a Nissan but decided on the Chevy because of the better milage! It's going to take a lot of really good milage to make up for $2900 that I WOULDN'T have had to spend on the Nissan! :mad: The other thing that really gripes me is I was for the bailout of GM & Chrysler!!!!!!!! :sick:
  • Good morning pianoman435,

We can understand that vehicle repairs can be frustrating - how is everything running now that the cylinder had has been replaced?

• If you had bothered to READ my post you would know that the CYLINDER was NOT replaced, the head was for the SECOND TIME making this the 3rd head on that engine in 102000 miles.
    The previous head was replaced for the same reason at the same dealer just a different valve seat/cylinder involved. Also the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter(a one piece unit, another bright idea from Chevrolet) :confuse: were replaced due to a crack in the manifold!
    The check engine light is still on all the time & I get intermittant signals that my gas cap is loose(it's not)the vacuum recovery system is faulty somewhere between the tank & the charcoal canister. :lemon:
    Other than that it is running fine but then it was prior to this happening & then it wasn't & $2900 later it was again! So not only are my fingers crossed but my toes & everything else!
    The decision I have to make now is do I spend the money for an extended warranty or send it down the road before it costs me more? :mad: :sick:
  • I'm sorry that I misread your original post, pianoman453. Thank you for taking the time to clarify that for me. When you contacted Customer Service, were you issued a case number (71-**********)? Please forward that to us at socialmedia@gm.com (or the last 8 digits of your VIN) and we will look into this further.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • So, i have this recurring code. Bank 1, sensor 1 insufficient switching. So far this is what I have done to it to try to remedy the situation: (2) new oxygen sensors, new exhaust manifold, new feul pressure regulator, new intake air resonator box, new thermostat, exhaust cam position solenoid. When monitoring the front o2 sensor while driving, it switches fine at idle and very light throttle BUT if i accelerate and maintain speed above 1500rpms the o2 sensor stays in the .70-.80 range. I hope someone out there has had experience with this and can tell me what I might be doing wrong(?).
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I'd like to hear from anybody with the 8 cylinder engine. Have you encountered any problems? Does the engine have the cylinder de-activation? What's your fuel mileage? Thank you.
  • We have a 2010 Colorado crew cab with the 5.3L V8 & 4 speed auto trans. It does not have cylinder deactivation. No problems with the powertrain at all. Haven't tracked the fuel economy, sorry.