Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It sounds like the head problem to me also. I doubt a lemon law would apply at this time.

If you have this documented at the dealer and is not resolved in time, you still should be safe after experation.
  • donn2390donn2390 Member Posts: 23
    This is such a common problem, everyone is aware of it. If your dealer pretends not to be familiar with it, he is either a liar, or way to uniformed to bother with. No matter how inconvenient, take it to another dealer that has a clue. I'm guessing he is aware, just trying to be a hero. Go to someone who cares about customers......
  • jknavarrojknavarro Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE 04' COLORADO 4X4, CHECK ENGINE WAS ON AND HAD VERY ROUGH IDLE. TOOK MY TRUCK TO HARBOR CHEV. WITH MY LETTER WHICH THEY SAY THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. THEY CHECKED THE CODES-P0303 CYL. 3 MISFIRE AND P0506-IDLE CONTROL SYSTEM LOW,RPM LOW. THEY WANTED TO PART SWAP TO SEE IF A NEW $400 THROTTLE BODY WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM. I SAID I WOULD BRING IT BACK. WENT TO AUTOZONE USED THEIR CODE READER AND GOT A PRINT-OUT. THE CLERK SUGGESTED A $4 BOTTLE OF CLEANER AND A GOOD CLEANING OF THE THROTTLE BODY. I DID IT AND IT WORKED FOR THE ROUGH IDLE. BUT I STILL LOSS OF POWER, LOW GAS MILEAGE AND #3 CYLINDER STILL MISFIRING. TOOK IT TO CHAMPION CHEV. IN L.B. CA TO CHANGE FUEL FILTER AND FUEL INJECTOR SERVICE AND GAVE THEM THE CODES. THEY HAVEN'T SEEN THE GM LETTER EITHER. THE WORK WAS COMPLETED AND EVERYTHING WAS RUNNING GREAT SO THEY SAID. I WENT TO START IT UP AND LEAVE AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON ALREADY, DROVE 10 FT. TO THE SERVICE TECH. ED AND HE SENT OUT THE MECHANIC WITH HIS DIAGNOSTIC READER. HE TOLD ME THAT I PROBABLY NEED A NEW CYLINDER HEAD BECAUSE OF THE MISFIRING AND NOW A NEW COMPUTER BECAUSE IT WENT BAD WHILE HE WAS HOOKED UP TO IT. NOW I AM TAKING IT BACK IN TOMORROW FOR THE WHOLE WEEK. AFTER HARBOR CHEV. I CONTACTED GM CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH PAUL GRANT (866)790-5600 EXT. 31502 BECAUSE HARBOR CHEV. TRIED CHARGE ME $99 FOR THEIR MISDIAGNOSIS THAT WOULD OF COST ME $400 THAT WOULDN'T HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM. WELL I DON'T OWE THEM $99 ANYMORE BUT I AM NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE PREMISES, TOO BAD. I ADVISE ANYONE TO CALL PAUL GRANT, IT MIGHT LIGHT A FIRE UNDER GM'S BUTT TO GET ALL THEIR DEALERS TO BE HONEST WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS. ANY ADVICE ON GETTING CHAMPION CHEV. TO FOLLOW THROUGH AND REPAIR THIS AT NO CHARGE.
  • tm4tm4 Member Posts: 19
    Take it to a different dealer, If the truck has less than 100,000 miles on it, and the dealership finds that it is the valve/cylinder it should be covered under warrantee. GM mailed out letters to alot of people with older Colorados extending the warrantee to 100,000 miles. I believe somebody posted a copy of the letter earlier on this same thread.
  • llangleyllangley Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Colorado is in the shop. I got a letter from Chevy stating because of bad valve seats (same symptoms as yours) they would put a new head on if under 100,000 miles. I had 99, 650 so I went direct to the dealer and sure enough, they said I qualified. Now they say they are rebuilding the head instead of a new one but hey, at 100,000 miles I guess it's better than paying for it!

No one could diagnose problem before, my local mechanic wanted to
    "service" injector system at $700 bucks! So I'm happy, it wasn't a major problem, just a pain for the light to come on and off with some rough idle at times. I like the truck, I tow my 19' Bayliner with it as well as my pop up tent trailer.
  • llangleyllangley Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. It's a security problem probably triggered by a faulty ignition switch. If it "senses" something wrong, the car will not start for 10 minutes. Look at the dash panel, you will see a flashing "lock". It's mentioned in the owners manual. Mine did it a couple times a year until it finally quit doing it. I've got over 100,000 miles now.
  • ramle717ramle717 Member Posts: 11
    That's good, GM stepped up.
    I traded my 05 Colorado even before they started working on the motor.
    And the trade in value was like my truck was in good running condition. I had 88,000 miles in over a year.
    I'm happy with my 07 Silverado LT. I get good mileage, 22/23 mpg, if I don't go over 70 mph. I also replaced my air filter with K&N. (not the kit).
    Good luck with your Colorado.
  • robstuffrobstuff Member Posts: 5
    My 2005 GMC Canyon 5 cylinder with less than 20,000 miles has been in the dealer shop so many times that I fought and won an extended warranty. Cruise control malfunction, traction control issues, and cabin wind noise to name a few. The last straw was a head gasket leak. My latest troubles are an engine silouette check light that won't go off. Coincidentally, this occurred after I replaced my original spark plus with Bosch Platinums and a new K&N air filter (not the kit). The engine also whistles when I turn off the ignition. I am concerned the dealer will try to attach my self service to the engine troubles as my fault. Does anyone else have these problems?
    Wow, that sounds like you have a lot of problems. I haven't heard of any of these being common problems. I would like to say that Bosch Platinums are just about the Worst plugs you can put in any vehicle. I haven't had to replace my plugs yet so I don't know what the stock plugs are, but I DO know that if the stock plugs are not platinum, then you should not use platinum aftermarket plugs, this is actually one of the top 10 leading causes of Smog Check Failures in CA, and Bosch is the leading culprit. This could be the reason why your check engine light is on.
    Just know that if the Truck is brought in for the same problem more than twice, find a good lemon lawyer.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    A lemon lawyer won't do him any good as they are only for the first year and his is a 05.
  • robstuffrobstuff Member Posts: 5
    I never went the lemon lawyer route. Dealing with the GM representatives were not easy. When they asked what they could do for me, I asked for a new truck. First, they act compasionate and interested. Next, you get passed up the ladder to different levels of seriously. GM also tells you to take it or leave it because I asked for a new vehicle. Eventaully serious negotiations start and you need to learn how to say NO two or three times. Perserverance brought on an offer of more or close to tripling my year and mileage warranty. Good thing I have it now. I drive cars for 150,000 miles or more. Never had this much happen before 20,000 miles.
    Lemon Laws vary by State. Some states the law is only good for the first year, but some states the lemon laws are good for as long as the manufacturers warrantee is in effect. I don't know what state you live in but the lemon law could apply for 3 years or 36,000 miles.
  • bob0429bob0429 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Canyon would not start this morning. I called for a tow truck. About 10 minutes after making the call went out to take personal things out of the truck. I decided to turn the key one last time and it started right up! I did notice the alarm icon flashing but I thought it was just because of the position of the key in the ignition. Glad I tried to start it again. It saved me a $78 towing bill!

Thanks for posting your comments about the security. I was getting ready to replace my fuel filter thinging it may have gotten clogged up from the temp falling below freezing.
    I have an 04 Crewcab 4 X 4 and want to change out the fuel filter as to take it to the dealer would be a 1/2 day job plus of course top dollar. Where is the filter on the Colorado located?
  • d_creedd_creed Member Posts: 3
    The fuel filter on the 2005 Crew is under the Cab on the inside edge of the Main Frame beam. I did mine in less than 15 minutes and I don't remember having to use any tools. I may have used a screwdriver to assist with a clip but it was very simple and the filter was less than $20. I hope this helps. I used an aftermarket filter from NAPA.
    Thanks and if I may ask, drivers side or passenger side. Being I'm in Mich. and it's cold and a little snow on the ground I don't want to hunt all over for it.
  • mamabugmamabug Member Posts: 2
    Eh, not so fast. I bought an '07 about 11 months ago (Feb '07) brand new. Had it in the shop four times in the first three weeks for service bulletins, recalls, and starter issues. I've had to take it in at least four times since then for various issues as well, including a computer program error that currently has no fix, causing the check engine light to come on, the truck to run rich, destroying my mileage, and I had the injectors plug up at 35k. The dealership finally corrcted the problem best they could without the fix, it's behaving now at 38k, and the service manager assured me there's a case file with Chevy on my truck so that if the problem occurs again they can fight to have it covered even though my truck is now out of the origional warranty (Thank God I purchased the 5 yr/100k warranty when I bought the truck!). But now I have a wiring issue in the rear end brake lights that may or may not be related to the post-accident repairs they did last month, and I highly doubt Chevy will cover the $200 ticket I got last night that clued me in to the fact my brake lights were out. Now I have to sort out a ride to work til the dealer can see my truck tomorrow, which is involving my mom having to get off work early to take me in, and my bf picking me up to take me home (clear across town!) at 3am. Once I get this truck paid down I'm seriously considering trading it in on something else.
    Are you sure your truck is an 07? Because (correct me if I'm wrong) the 100,000 mile warranty came standard with all 07 models, it was 06 and older that came with the 36,000 mile warranty. Also, if you were in an accident and your tailights stopped working, I don't think you can blame GM, you should go after your insurance company for not repairing the damage properly.
  • mamabugmamabug Member Posts: 2
    '07 is what it says on the title and all the paperwork from the dealership. As well as the window sticker. I know mine was a pretty base model (AC, cruise control, and an AM/FM sterio were the only "frills" it came with). And all the conversations I've had with the service department seem to say it only came with the origional 3/36 warranty, and I had to purchase the 5/100 as an extended when I bought the truck (which I did).

I won't know til the dealership looks at the truck tomorrow whether the taillight issue is related to the accident or not. To the best of my knowledge the only damage was to the towing wiring harness and the bumper itself. I have had to replace bulbs about once a month since I bought it, which seems a little excessive to me. I've already ruled out the issue being the bulbs out, the harness being loose, and the fuse being out. So it's probably a wiring issue at this point, for damn sure I'm going to make them either cover it under my warranty or the insurance repair.
    Didn't the 5/100 come along a month or so into the 07 run and if you bought it before then I can see it but I would check into it by calling GM and not trusting the dealer. If so than GM should refund the money for the extended warranty. Also is it possible the dealer sold you the entended warranty that covers the whole vehicle which is an improvement on the 5/100 that is now standard as that just covers the drive train. At the rate you are putting on the miles that warranty isn't going to do you much good either.
    Sorry about your issues, that shouldn't be happening in a new truck. My 1992 S10 has never had any light bulb issues like that. In fact the only light bulb on the truck that has yet to burn-out is my passenger rear tail-light bulb, and the other one only once. Changing bulbs once a month or even once a year is way too excessive and it would cause me seek help/advise because something is not right. Your warranties should take care of these issues.
  • peterz0507peterz0507 Member Posts: 4
    I have an ' 06 colorado crew cab last november the check engine light went on. I was working and I decided to take it to the dealer to check it out, and just when I turned the AC on it didn't work, it only blew on max, the other three settings did nothing. That day the service guy told me that it had a missed fired and that was a maintenence problem of some carbon over some place I dont remember, and he told me that I have to pay for it, and it was a $100 job. I told him that it could not be possible because I only put on tha same gas since I took it out of the dealer and I did all the oil changes every 3k miles.

Nothing came throug so I had to pay for it. But the AC problem was that the switch wiring was defective, they cange it at no cost. Then I noticed thad it had less power and less gas millege. I still used it and suddenly the check engine light went on again, but this time I took it to a friend that has the computer and guess what, the same problem that the GM service guy told me. I called the GM service guy telling him the problem and the next day I took it to the dealer. Later that day they told me that there had been a promlem with the engine head and they have to replace some parts.

Now I'm trying to get back my $100 for a bad diagnose.
    I agree, they should give you back your money and they should have known what it was in the first place since it is a well known problem. If they hesitate I would contact GM directly through their 800 number which should be in your owners manual. Worst case GM is sending back monies spent by people on this problem before they issued the buliton and sent everyone a letter in the mail.
  • danconedancone Member Posts: 1
    I just head my head replaced at 72000 miles. All these vibration, mileage, power, idle surges are related problems. You must replace the head!!The only problem now is, they used a REM Head, now the problem is happening again. As far as Im concerned,, they bought my engine when they operated on it at that mileage!!
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    In case you haven't tackled the filer replacement yet, it's on the driver's side.

(I don't check this forum as much as I used to, just saw your post today)
  • lrobersonlroberson Member Posts: 1
    I need help why is my engine light on it just came on this morning. I let it warm up in the morning times and I keep it check I just got a oil change about 3wks ago. Help please!!!!!!!!
    Rear some of the other posts. One simple solution sometimes is a loose gas cap. Other drivers say it can related to a bad head.
  • peterz0507peterz0507 Member Posts: 4
    Do someone know of any recall, anouncement or web news about this I 5 engine problem? so I can take it to the dealer as evidence of GM recognizing it.
  • booda1086booda1086 Member Posts: 1
    My son's canyon has engine problems, here is the number to call 1-866-790-5600. it is recall-06030. They will extend the warranty under special coverage code (07123). It is a manufacturing problem with the 04-06 canyons and colorados. They will have to replace the head and other stuff. His check engine light started coming on in November. He took it to the shop and they said it did not throw any codes. Since then it has came on and went off again about 100 times. Yesterday he was driving down the road and it died, he started it back up and it said "low power" it would not go over 30mph. Took it to the dealer, they hooked it up, said nothing was wrong. My son had taken a picture of the dash so he could show them what it said. Today they call back and said it needs the head and other things replace. GMC is supposed to pay for it all. We'll see!!!!
  • jl5centsjl5cents Member Posts: 1
    This truck is bad news. We bought it new off the lot. After many check engine lights coming on we have been told - nothing is wrong - they reset computer- no codes- reset computer - changed oxygen sensor- blah blah blah. Now at 77000 miles we took it to dealer because it is bogging down- no checked engine light. It dies at stop signs when warm. Took it to dealer--they said the valve springs are bad. But unless they are broke no warranty will cover. They wanted 1700.00 up front. If our extended warranty paid they would give us our money back. We took it to a local garage. They found a warped intake manifold. Bad injectors and now we are up to a bad valve. They sent it to an engine rebuilding shop - and came back with carbon deposits due to bad gas or gas deposits not burning properly. All things keep coming back to the check engine lights that never threw off the right codes and allowed the valves and everything else to be carboned and compromised. This truck has run rough from the beginning and no dealer could do anything!! Chevy/GM knows full well about this problem but find it cheaper to put people off until the warranty is up rather than do the recall they know is necessary.
  • gmbluesgmblues Member Posts: 7
    Luckily for me my truck has not have this many troubles but I'm not very pleased with GM with the performance of the Colorado and their support. (or lack of support). After purchasing 7 new GM vehicles over the years this Colorado is the last GM product I will own.
    Now wait a minute. You have had NO problems with the truck but you are unhappy with the performance. Did you not drive this vehicle before buying? Did you think it would magically double in power 6 months down the road? Maybe GM will be better off without you. Get a truck that works as advertised and you are still unhappy. Why not by a Toyota truck with the engines that were blowing up, or a Camry with sludge problems. The grass may not be greener on the other side of the hill but I doubt no one can tell you that so go for something else and I hope you have better luck if that is possible since nothing is wrong with what you have. :shades:
    Oh my 04 4x4 crewcab has more than enough power for me.
    Some people come to the boards to say this or that but are just making up a story because they are loyal to their Japanese car/truck, for whatever reason. The guy probably doesn't even have a Colorado.
  • harveykarismaharveykarisma Member Posts: 7
    I have an 07 Colorado 4x4 which has given absolutely no trouble. Runs great. I have changed the oil every 3-4k miles. I noticed recently that there is a slight bit of emulsified oil on the bottom of the dipstick. I changed the oil, but it still shows up. I asked Chevy about it, but they said I will have to pay for an oil test myself. Has anyone else had this problem? I am hoping there is not a leak somewhere.

Thanks.
  • cruznt2cruznt2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

well it had to happen. I have been following these comments since I first posted a message about our truck going into 4 wheel drive, by the way caused an accident and wiped out the side of the truck. Of course no one at Chevrolet would look at it, nothing has registered on the computer!!!!!!!
    Now the engine light came on.....engine running on 4 cylinders. At present truck is in the shop.
    I would like to hear from some of the owners of the Colorado that had the repair done....what to expect and what their opinions are now. What and if they have kept them or what.
    Would like to get rid of the truck, but I hate to take the collossol lose of money I would have to eat. Sure was a bad day when we made the decision to buy a Chevrolet.....Chevy does not stand behind their products like it should.

Dave
  • cruznt2cruznt2 Member Posts: 5
    One more thing, when your Colorado was repaired, what all was done to it.
    My dealer said they replace all the gaskets cylinders and heads, but leave the old block.....
    How about getting back on this with me
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    If you are the original owner on record, GM should have sent you a letter outlining what the problem is, and what they will cover in repairs, at no cost. In fact, someone posted a copy of that letter here, I believe, about 6-8 weeks ago.

I asked the question on this forum about 12-18 months ago, about how different people drive and maintain their Colorado/Canyons, just to see if there is some sort of common cause. Nothing ever came of it. My '05 Canyon has 22,500 miles on it...So far, so good.

Anyway, as far as I know, they replace the entire cylinder head assembly with an updated '07 unit.
  • vld2007vld2007 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anything I can do to get dealer help with my engine problem? I have an '04 Colorado with the infamous engine problem. Problem started at 88k miles and we thought it was the injectors so we had them cleaned. We commute a long ways and six months later we had over 100k on the truck and a letter comes in the mail describing our symptoms and saying that the warranty was extended (lot of good that did us.) So I called Chevy--no luck, called the dealer and after I threw a ginormous hissy fit they offered to only charge me $1,000 and they would diagnose things, possibly replace the head and then tell me what else was wrong with the truck, and let me know if there would be any additional charges. I did not take them up on their "generous" offer. Now I'm looking into buying a new engine, but it would be great if there were a better way to get this mess fixed. I have to pay on this piece of crap for three more years.
  • patch6999patch6999 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado with 27000 miles. Untill last night I have never had any problems untill I went to start my truck. As soon as it started it died. On the dash it says ABS fault and low fuel. There is over half tank of gas. Any question to what the problem is?
    Sorry, I can't say. I have read on other forums that the parking brake has been related to engine code warnings when it had nothing to do with it. Not likely it but make sure your parking brake and gas cap are secured. Other than that I don't have a clue.
  • jimbo1490jimbo1490 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my '04 Colorado Ex cab, 4WD with 2.8 on January 3, 07 with 56 K miles. It was a fleet ruck with fleet maint records. About 90% highway miles and it looked the part: Like new condition. Engine was strong running and very quiet. I drive basically only on the highway about 100 miles a day, 6 days a week. It had a fresh oil change when I bought it and I did the first change after about 8K miles. I know that seems like a long interval, but I really drive only on the highway, and I drove it very conservatively, never leadfooting. I noted that it had used less than half a quart in those 8K miles. The next three oil changes went the same way: very little oil missing between changes (like 4oz, really), oil not even black. This motor was very tight, never missed, always started right up, with very smooth idle and plenty of power.

All that changed in a two week period about two months after my last oil change, about 5K miles into the new oil. At first I noticed a tiny tapping noise when the engine first started up cold in the morning. It went away after only a minute or so and I didn't give it much thought. But over the next couple of days it got louder. It sounded very much like a noisy tappet. So I checked the oil level and it was low, like WAY LOW, below the dipstick! Whoa, I thought, that's weird. This thing NEVER uses oil between changes and a quick look underneath showed a dry engine and chassis so no leak evident. So I went to top off the oil and noted that the bottom of the filler cap was 'sludgy', not like coolant in the oil, but like very old oil that was never changed. Again weird; the oil always looked good between changes, now this??!!

But the tapping got louder and louder over the next couple of days and the engine got hard to start. After starting it would tap loudly and also had a 'hard' miss when cold. I began to check the oil level daily and noticed it was using like a quart a day!!! I don't have a spare vehicle so I had to keep driving it until I could figure this out or it died, whichever comes first.

But the oil consumption stayed about a quart a day or so and sometimes when leaving a stop the engine would have a serious hesitation and puff out a huge cloud of smoke, both white oil and black fuel smoke. During all this time the temperature never rose above the first notch on the gauge and the idle was smooth as glass. This went on for about a week until one day (Friday night actually) upon leaving a stop sign it stalled and never started again. It had 93K miles total. May it rest in peace :sick:

Now I don't have ANY faith in engines that have, or have ever had a loud tapping noise with or without sludgy looking oil, so I have NO PLANS of repairing this engine, especially when I can get one out of an '06 with 10K miles for $750 with a 6 month warranty and Carfax report.

But what the hell happened??!! Are these engines really THAT JUNKY??!!

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

Any thoughts?

Jimbo
  • adad23adad23 Member Posts: 1
    This is for all the Canyon/Colorado owners with the I4 model. I had the top end replaced about 6 mos. ago( @ 64,000 mi.) Ck. Eng. lite failures were common prior to the cylinder misfire problem. Since the new parts were installed(about 10,000 mi.) I am ready to junk the truck. The Ck. Eng. lite has been on again. The truck has been back to the dealer three or four times for the routine diagnostics and all they told me was no problem could be found. :lemon: :(
  • jimbo1490jimbo1490 Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously considering a swap to Isuzu NPR power. The 4cyl turbo will fit right in and get me well over 30 MPG, more than offsetting the higher cost of diesel. Oh yeah, and it WON'T BREAK!

Jimbo
    What's the Isuzu NPR engine?
    It sounds like that valve seal issue that was supposedly corrected with the 2.9 L model engine or slightly before with the late generation 2.8 L if im not mistaken.
  • jeepgirl05jeepgirl05 Member Posts: 14
    I am looking for a small 4 dr. crew cab p/u. Had my sights set on a Colorado, until this morning. Its an 05 w/43k miles. Got to "test it" for weekend. This morning I go to start it, nothing happens, won't even turn over. Let it sit for couple hours, go back & try it again, this time it starts, but smells like something is burning so, no dashboard lights come on, shut it off, get out & notice oil like stuff all over ground. Smelled like burning rubber, ick..call the dealer to come & get it. They come n get it want to charge me for towing, which i refused to pay, its there stupid truck. The tow guy said the stuff on the ground was a mixture of oil, transmission fluid & gas & there must be a hole somewhere in the engine area They haul it away, the dealer called asked what i did to it to cause this mess. I drove it two days, no off-road or anything like that. Have another one...different dealer its an 06, see what it leaks, then going back to Jeeps.
  • marc2340marc2340 Member Posts: 1
    OK all here's the deal on the cylinder heads. My 06 Colorado crew cab 4x4 z71 package 33,000 miles started with a check engine light, diagnosis misfire cylinder 5. I took the vehicle to the dealer here in Little Rock AR, they supposedly made a repair to the fuel injector. Drove to visit family in St. Louis check engine light came back on, I stopped at a St. Louis dealer, Lou Fusz, who told me of the cylinder head problems. Because of the extended time to make the repair he suggested I have the work done when I got home to Little Rock. In LR at Crain Chev, they again supposedly repaired the fuel injector, another check engine light 24 hrs later and I returned to the LR dealer and insisted they look for cylinder head problems. Final diagnosis cylinder heads leaking and valves were bad. A Chevy tech bulletin recommended replacement, this was under warranty. The dealer kept my truck for 3 weeks so make sure you get a rental car under your warranty.
    After getting my truck back everything seems fine but I called Chevrolet Customer care and eventually got a Victoria Castro. After much discussion GM has given me an extended component warranty on the engine for an additional 3 years or 60,000 miles from the date of repairs.
    When you get the customer care rep they will try to sell you a discounted extended warranty and insist the warranty cannot be extended for free. Ask for a supervisor and be very persistent. It took me about 3 conversations and much persistence with Castro to get the extended warranty. Make sure you point out this has been an ongoing problem since 04 on the Colorado.
    Also just for FYI the dealers and customer care reps will all act as if they know nothing of the valve problem but there is a tech bulletin issued by Chevrolet for the Colorado and they will extend the warranty even after repairs are made.

Good luck to all!
  • donnyrdonnyr Member Posts: 15
    I just purchased a 2008 Canyon in December and was pleased with the truck, but noticed each morning or after the car cooled down, upon cranking the engine I have a knock in the engine only briefly, but yet a knock. I went to the dealer and asked to crank other Canyons on the lot. I cranked approximately 5 with no noise. So I informed service that my Canyon sounded like a diesel when cranking cold and smoothed shortly after. First they informed me it was the catalytic converter, then fan noise, then called me back and wanted permission to drive the truck 35 or 40 miles because of the fuel injectors. The truck has less than 1000 miles. They gave me a truck to drive and I've had that truck for one month. Now the dealer is telling me that my truck is drivable, for me to come get it, and they would have an engineer later on to come in to see the truck, but that I should drive it until he comes to see it. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated due to the fact that GM had to buy back my GMC Envoy three years ago. Should I get my truck or should I leave it with the dealer until they find the problem? I am afraid that driving it might damage the truck or possibly breakdown. Signed, HELP!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I'd try to get them to take back the truck and exchange it for another new one. The longer this goes on the less likely that the dealer will do anything for you. Good luck.
  • donnyrdonnyr Member Posts: 15
    THANKS for your input but the dealer has told me that they just cannot do that ,that GM has to step in and resolve the issue. The reginal service manager called today and stated that my issue was the only one of it's kind. so we got on a three way line with my service manager here and he informed the regional manager that there were others surfacing. Now I'm in a wait and see what GM has to declare.