Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Problems

Comments

• The head was replaced by Harbor...took four days. No questions, all expenses paid. I don't notice any change in performance as has been reported by other posts but I've only put a hundred or so miles on it. They rented me an '07 Colorado and it was a bit quicker. While they were at it they also replaced the throttle body for a "low idle" code. I never saw this problem but at close to 50K miles I'll take all the new parts I can get.

BPMike
  • No it's not the Ford it's General Motors! In fact, I didn't want to but the Ford initially but at the time I thought the S-10 was a lame excuse for a truck and couldn't compare to the Ranger. I also had $3,000 in GM points from my GM card that I could not use. So this was strike for GM with me.

Strike two, my wife's Bonneville blew a head at 60K miles which was the result of a known water leak problem in the intake. That cost me $1,500 and several days of aggravation, not to mention having my wife on my case.

Strike three, I purchase the Colorado and there’s known problems with the head? Come on, that is ridiculous! Yes, the repair is at no cost but the top of the engine has been ripped apart and hopefully put back together right. So that’s next, another engine issue, DEXTROL corroding the engine, electrical component issues (brake switch, etc)?

Believe me every car I have owned has been a GM product (other than the Ranger) but I do not expect to purchase a new car/truck and have to have major engine repairs done. Free of not!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I suggest you run right down to your local Toyota dealer and trade it in on one of their 07 Camarys. Please do NOT go to the Edmund site on 07 Camarys and do not read all of the problems with them. After all it's a Toyota so all is well. Do not believe how many hundreds of percent more Toyotas have been recalled then in previous years. This is all fanisy as cars from Japan never have problems. Well I've said enough, see you at the Toyota site in a few weeks. :shades: :P
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    If you think the Colorado has a big turning radius for a pickup, check out the Toyota Tundra. I was almost laughing at watching two of them the other day trying to make a simple turn without going over a curb. It is normal for a truck, especially when four wheel drive, to have large turning ratios.
  • tm4tm4 Posts: 19
    At least none of GMs problems have been related to killing people! The link below is one to consumer affairs website where it talks about Ford Trucks randomly bursting into flames and burning down to the ground.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/ford_fires_continue.html

Also, the new Tacomas have brake failure problems which have led to people beig in serious accidents. Motor Trend, Road & Track, and Car & Driver all had problems with brakes in their Long term tests of the new Tacoma.
    The Colorado may have a design flaw, but at least it can't kill you and GM is fixing it for free.
    Don't forget the big engines in the Toyota trucks blowing up. Problem with Toyota is they have the same standard reply. Everything is working as designed. :lemon: :lemon:
    The Tundras are not blowing up, the engines are just decinagrating because of bad camshafts. Oh I forgot, Toyota didn't make the camshafts. According to Toyota it was a contractor. What a bunch of baloney propaganda. I don't think any auto manufacture makes their own crankshafts nowadays. Put the blame on someone else is what Toyota is good for like the engine sludge problems that they say were caused by lack of owner maintenance. After lawsuits were filed Toyota finally admitted to their sludge problems and extended the warranties.
  • Anyone have suggestion? My 06 4 cyl. Colorado has 33,000 miles. Since 24,000 miles (June 07) has rough idle sometimes shaking truck. Dealer in June said it was misfiring on all cylinders & they were stumped but suspected water in fuel. Same day though they said reconfiguring the computer had taken care of it. I left shop and engine was still missing. July 19 took truck back with check engine light frequently on. Dealer said it was a known GM problem, GM working on it. Call back in a couple of weeks. Aug. 8 took truck back again after engine went dead in an intersection while I was making a rolling right hand turn. Dealer replaced fuel pump and spark plugs and said water in the fuel. They challenged me to not go to same service stations ( I haven't and have run the fuel low enough for "low fuel" light to come on trying to suck out any water in the tank...wife gets her fuel at same station and has no problems)..Truck still had miss when I left shop. Sept.26 going down interstate at 70MPH check engine light comes on, I feel a loss of power then seat belt light comes on followed by oil pressure light followed by "FAULT" showing in speedometer display. I get it off the road OK, turn key off then restarted the engine and it ran smooth as silk the rest of the way home. Dealer said computer was loosing communication and they replaced the computer. Truck engine still intermittently missing ( particularly noticible at idle when the truck sometimes shakes) . Called dealer again....they say it's a known GM issue and that GM is working on it and to call back in two weeks...Meanwhile the truck goes out of warranty in another 2500 miles or so and I feel I'm in a loop. I called another Chevy dealer but they don't want to work on it since another dealer already has the thread. Any advice? Thanks

Roger
  • It sounds like you have the problem with your head that is quite common with that engine. it also sounds like your dealer has a problem with his head, as he must be a complete idiot not to know about it.
    This problem has been discussed at great length on http://coloradofans.com/ web site. Go there and learn, and try to find a dealer with a clue. That "Call back in two weeks" thing is just a way to get you to go away. They don't have a clue what they are doing...
  • Thank you!

I indeed am running out of patience. I'm waiting on a callback from my dealer. If no contact from them by end of week I shall call an attorney and explore lemon law. Would be happy for them or another Chevy dealer to just fix the truck because I feel it's just a problem that needs repair and not an inherently bad truck. Thanks again.

Roger
    It sounds like the head problem to me also. I doubt a lemon law would apply at this time.

If you have this documented at the dealer and is not resolved in time, you still should be safe after experation.
  • This is such a common problem, everyone is aware of it. If your dealer pretends not to be familiar with it, he is either a liar, or way to uniformed to bother with. No matter how inconvenient, take it to another dealer that has a clue. I'm guessing he is aware, just trying to be a hero. Go to someone who cares about customers......
  • I HAVE 04' COLORADO 4X4, CHECK ENGINE WAS ON AND HAD VERY ROUGH IDLE. TOOK MY TRUCK TO HARBOR CHEV. WITH MY LETTER WHICH THEY SAY THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. THEY CHECKED THE CODES-P0303 CYL. 3 MISFIRE AND P0506-IDLE CONTROL SYSTEM LOW,RPM LOW. THEY WANTED TO PART SWAP TO SEE IF A NEW $400 THROTTLE BODY WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM. I SAID I WOULD BRING IT BACK. WENT TO AUTOZONE USED THEIR CODE READER AND GOT A PRINT-OUT. THE CLERK SUGGESTED A $4 BOTTLE OF CLEANER AND A GOOD CLEANING OF THE THROTTLE BODY. I DID IT AND IT WORKED FOR THE ROUGH IDLE. BUT I STILL LOSS OF POWER, LOW GAS MILEAGE AND #3 CYLINDER STILL MISFIRING. TOOK IT TO CHAMPION CHEV. IN L.B. CA TO CHANGE FUEL FILTER AND FUEL INJECTOR SERVICE AND GAVE THEM THE CODES. THEY HAVEN'T SEEN THE GM LETTER EITHER. THE WORK WAS COMPLETED AND EVERYTHING WAS RUNNING GREAT SO THEY SAID. I WENT TO START IT UP AND LEAVE AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON ALREADY, DROVE 10 FT. TO THE SERVICE TECH. ED AND HE SENT OUT THE MECHANIC WITH HIS DIAGNOSTIC READER. HE TOLD ME THAT I PROBABLY NEED A NEW CYLINDER HEAD BECAUSE OF THE MISFIRING AND NOW A NEW COMPUTER BECAUSE IT WENT BAD WHILE HE WAS HOOKED UP TO IT. NOW I AM TAKING IT BACK IN TOMORROW FOR THE WHOLE WEEK. AFTER HARBOR CHEV. I CONTACTED GM CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH PAUL GRANT (866)790-5600 EXT. 31502 BECAUSE HARBOR CHEV. TRIED CHARGE ME $99 FOR THEIR MISDIAGNOSIS THAT WOULD OF COST ME $400 THAT WOULDN'T HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM. WELL I DON'T OWE THEM $99 ANYMORE BUT I AM NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE PREMISES, TOO BAD. I ADVISE ANYONE TO CALL PAUL GRANT, IT MIGHT LIGHT A FIRE UNDER GM'S BUTT TO GET ALL THEIR DEALERS TO BE HONEST WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS. ANY ADVICE ON GETTING CHAMPION CHEV. TO FOLLOW THROUGH AND REPAIR THIS AT NO CHARGE.
    Take it to a different dealer, If the truck has less than 100,000 miles on it, and the dealership finds that it is the valve/cylinder it should be covered under warrantee. GM mailed out letters to alot of people with older Colorados extending the warrantee to 100,000 miles. I believe somebody posted a copy of the letter earlier on this same thread.
  • My 04 Colorado is in the shop. I got a letter from Chevy stating because of bad valve seats (same symptoms as yours) they would put a new head on if under 100,000 miles. I had 99, 650 so I went direct to the dealer and sure enough, they said I qualified. Now they say they are rebuilding the head instead of a new one but hey, at 100,000 miles I guess it's better than paying for it!

No one could diagnose problem before, my local mechanic wanted to
    "service" injector system at $700 bucks! So I'm happy, it wasn't a major problem, just a pain for the light to come on and off with some rough idle at times. I like the truck, I tow my 19' Bayliner with it as well as my pop up tent trailer.
  • I had the same problem. It's a security problem probably triggered by a faulty ignition switch. If it "senses" something wrong, the car will not start for 10 minutes. Look at the dash panel, you will see a flashing "lock". It's mentioned in the owners manual. Mine did it a couple times a year until it finally quit doing it. I've got over 100,000 miles now.
  • That's good, GM stepped up.
    I traded my 05 Colorado even before they started working on the motor.
    And the trade in value was like my truck was in good running condition. I had 88,000 miles in over a year.
    I'm happy with my 07 Silverado LT. I get good mileage, 22/23 mpg, if I don't go over 70 mph. I also replaced my air filter with K&N. (not the kit).
    Good luck with your Colorado.
  • My 2005 GMC Canyon 5 cylinder with less than 20,000 miles has been in the dealer shop so many times that I fought and won an extended warranty. Cruise control malfunction, traction control issues, and cabin wind noise to name a few. The last straw was a head gasket leak. My latest troubles are an engine silouette check light that won't go off. Coincidentally, this occurred after I replaced my original spark plus with Bosch Platinums and a new K&N air filter (not the kit). The engine also whistles when I turn off the ignition. I am concerned the dealer will try to attach my self service to the engine troubles as my fault. Does anyone else have these problems?
    Wow, that sounds like you have a lot of problems. I haven't heard of any of these being common problems. I would like to say that Bosch Platinums are just about the Worst plugs you can put in any vehicle. I haven't had to replace my plugs yet so I don't know what the stock plugs are, but I DO know that if the stock plugs are not platinum, then you should not use platinum aftermarket plugs, this is actually one of the top 10 leading causes of Smog Check Failures in CA, and Bosch is the leading culprit. This could be the reason why your check engine light is on.
    Just know that if the Truck is brought in for the same problem more than twice, find a good lemon lawyer.
    A lemon lawyer won't do him any good as they are only for the first year and his is a 05.