Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Transmission Problems

KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
Trouble shifting? This is the place to solve your problems!

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Comments

• porch1porch1 Posts: 1
    MY 07 CANYON ZQ8 PACKAGE HAS 700 MILES ON IT AND ALSO A HESITATION THAT FEELS LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OUT GAS. 2 DEALERS SAY THAT IT IS NORMAL. ANY BODY ELSE NOTICING THE SAME THING????
    THANKS
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    turn off the caps and no the hes. is not normal at least on the I5.
  • :mad: I was wondering how many people have trouble getting the truck in reverse,and how many times it takes you?
    I have had manual trans for ever and this is very much not good when i buy a new truck and pay cash and come to find out, it has a 20% chance out of 100 or 1 in 5 times it won`t go in reverse. Chevy said it was normal... I would like to know.. :mad:
  • put it in 1st and try again... all cars with manual transmission i've had were the same... make it an habit
  • I have the 5 speed trans,and getting it into reverse has been a problem too.Normal??? Maybe nowadays it is.When I was younger,the transmissions shifted in and out of gear very smooth and easy.This is the first manual I've had in 20 something years,and will be my last.The lack of quality is only one reason.4X4 is much better with an automatic then a standard trans,so I'll be going back to an auto.
  • :sick: well this document is from a chev dealer the id #1872012 this is some of what the doc says manual transmission 5 speed-Aisin 5 speed(RPO MA5)Affected vehicles (GMT355-GMT345-GMX020)(Quote)
    A customer can expect a blocked reverse shift 10 times in 50 attempts. Engineering has determined that this condition is normal.the correct procedure to follow when shifting for block out is to.
    1)shift into 1st gear
    2)move vehicle forward slight
    3)stop and shift into reverse
    well if you are in traffic and need to reverse fast or back out of the way of a train your screwed.but my mom 73 who has had stick shifts alot and drives tractor told chev that if anything happens to her because she can`t back up they are responable,because they know the problem.She also wrote to the bbb.Well 13 letters in all.I also sent stuff to t.v. to get the word out about 06-07-colorado/canyon/hummer h3/pontiac Solstice/07 saturn sky.About the normal 5 speed trans the won`t go into reverse 20% of the time..If anybody wants me to send the paper-work let me know :confuse:
  • well this is the end of the colorado (07) and now i don`t have to worry if mom or dad gets into wreck cuz they can`t back up (NOW)... chevy bought there truck back cuz they didn`t want to be responable for a wreck since they new the problems with the transmission and calling it normal ha ha :lemon: :lemon: :shades:
  • I have a problem shifting into first gear when I am at a stop light. I brought it into service at Weseloh and Sons in San Juan Capistrano. They refered to the same service bulletin (#1872012) and sent me on my way. They did admit they felt what I felt but that it was not having a problem at this time. I called GM and they want me to go back to the same people and have them drive with me in it to see the problem. They had the car 2 days already and only test drove it once. What else can I do? Can't they fix it or get a new transmision- The block-out happens more often than 20% of the time
    Your post don't make much sense except GM bought it back. How about explaining what was wrong?
  • fasfas Posts: 6
    I have an '05 with I5 and auto, 4WD I have a hesitation mainly when backing up. Dealer also says normal.
    I seem to have a new problem. when it is cold (rare in NC) it feels like I am starting off in second gear. It goes away after a 5 min warm up. I am going back to the dealer before my 36000 runs out.
    Anyone notice this?
    My truck locked up after pulling out of the driveway and right wheel spinning on the grass. It semed like it was in 4WD. I was able to duplicate it again. I took it ti Chevy (still under warrantee thank God)
    and after giving the the standard BS. they "serviced" the rear, and it still had the problem. GM told them to replace the rear.
    Anyone out there thinking it is going in 4WD, it might be the rear "auto locking" rear
    Got the Truck back yesterday. The had to replace the whole rear (gears and clutches) It works like it should. Actually, it never acted correctly since I bought it new in '05. Still having a fight about the Auto transmission problem (hesitating when backing up)
  • coreylcoreyl Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced a light shudder when accelerating slowly from a stop with a Colorado with the I-5 and automatic?

My '05 Colorado 4X4 with the automatic transmission just started doing this with about 58,000 miles. I am trying to determine if it is related to the transmission, a transmission mount, or the limited slip rear end. I have changed the fluid and filter more frequently than is reccomended (at 25,000 and 50,000 miles) so I don't suspect that it is going bad. It acts exactly like a transmission shudder, for those of you who have ever had a marginal automatic transmission. It happens in all the forward gears.

Thanks
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Torque converter?
  • coreylcoreyl Posts: 2
    Thanks. Possibly the torque converter as well. I will be bringing it in later today.
  • jsouthjsouth Posts: 13
    I have a 2004, 4x4 ,I5 auto trans and I have felt the same shudder. I have felt it the most when the truck shifts to second gear but it might only do it once or twice a year so I haven`t worried about it. I haven`t seen anything else on this site about the trans. shudder or heard anything from Chevrolet service bulletins on this subject so it maybe a problem that hasn`t had enough time to be seen. Let me know if you find out anything.
  • stoltzstoltz Posts: 2
    Just bought a 08 Z71 crew cab with the 3.7 eng.
    I want to install a trans temp gauge and I was hoping someone could let me know who sells a A-pillar mount?
    Checked with Summit already.
    Thanks
  • My company truck only shifts through the four speed automatic transmission (2.8L 2wd 2004) gears if you start in first and shift manually through 2nd, 3rd, D. If you start in drive it just revs up as if you were in N. Has torqe in first and second but you cant move from a stop if you put it into drive or third. Does anyone know of this problem? Transmission bad or did something fall apart? Please help! I am going to the junk yard next weekend and going to change the transmission. It would not be much fun if its all for nothing. :confuse:
    could the linkage be at fault? Seems funny it works properly if you start out in low and then manually shift through the gears. Starting in D should do the samething thats why I wonder if putting it in drive first where as the linkage is just a little off. Have you tried putting it in low, then 2nd, 3rd and then drive while still stopped and then try and go in D. If this works I would guess it is the linkage out of wack. Try it and report back.
  • kaqkaq Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 port LS I5 with auto tranny that just started slipping today! It only has 48K on it and I am baffled. Well taken care of.

As for what I call the the reverse gear hesitation clunk, it happens too and dealer service rep told me "thats normal for this model"

Sucks as the truck is off warranty now............