Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Transmission Problems

Comments

• gumbta2gumbta2 Posts: 7
    Keep me posted. I thought clogged cat at first but when I read the code that pointed me to solenoid. Good luck and hopefully isn't to costly. Suggestion, if you have the tranny pan off braze in a drain plug, makes for easy removal next time.
  • foldemfoldem Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 chevy colorado my auto trans, keeps giving me problems in first gear always slips... starter at 20,000 miles took it to the chevy dealer was told no codes. Took it back again at 25,000 miles same problem and was told again we cant find anything wrong with the truck. well now it's out of warranty and IT STILL IS DOING IT called gmc and they told me I had to pay to have the trans taking apart to find out what's wrong I told them this is there fault because it was not done right in the first place while it was under warrenty, why should I have to pay THATS ALL THEY COULD SORRY NO CODES NO PROBLEMS BULL.... Now I have 78,000 miles THEY JUST DON'T CARE I WILL NEVER BUY A GM MODEL AGAIN......THEY SUCK.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,163
    Hello Foldem,
    I apologize that you are still having concerns with your vehicle. Do you currently have a case open if so what was the case number? Have you ever taken the vehicle to a different dealership for a second opinion? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Along with a clogged cat, bad ABS brain and really crappy running condition, now the truck makes a horrendous noise backing up. A loud clacking sound like someone has a hose clamp around the driveshaft hitting the floor board (remember that trick? With tie wraps?) I believe it's the input bearing going out. Already had a complete new clutch kit which did nothing. Hunk of junk I tell 'ya. All this at 65K miles. Never buy one of these money pits!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I own a 2006 3.5L-2wd that I bought brand new & just experienced the same problem. The night before I was going from rev to drive & it made a loud shudder clunk. But it sounded like from the rear end. Then it acted like I wasnt getting proper torque/power. Gas peddle was even mushy & somewhat unresponsive w/no change in RPM(slippage). Then abt 2 miles down the road it all straightened out?? Now today I get in & have no 3rd & 4th but will move in 1st, 2nd, & rev. Have not taken it out on the road yet. Worried it wont make it back??

What all did you find out & do to correct your prob?
  • Did you get a check engine light? When I had this problem it had a code relating to shift solenoid B bad. I have not had the problem since it happened the one time but since I was overdue on a tranny service I did that. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't think the tranny is shifting quite right but don't know for sure. I found the ACDelco solenoids on Rockauto.com and theya re not expensive but have to drop the pan to replace. If I have further problems that's my next action. NOTE: they don't list the solenoids as A, B etc., they list them as 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and so on go up then in reverse for down shift. When I called RockAuto they got ACDelco on the phone and i believe 5 in total are required if you replace all of them. Let me know the outcome....GOOD LUCK
  • I have a 2004 colorado i bought when they first came out recently hitting over 100k miles i noticed high rpms on the beltway and when i got home and went to park i had to give it alot of gas to get it to to move in reverse and it makes a weird noise i checked the fluid it was very low so i added more it stopped the high rpm problem but reverse is still doing the same thing help!
  • toohiptoohip Posts: 1
    My 2009 5 cyl crew cab Canyon has issues around 50 mph. When my foot is on the pedal with moderate force the trans keeps flipping between gears. If I back off the pedal or apply more force it stops. It seems to happen when I try to move a few mph faster from around 45 to 50 mph. If I apply more force to create a higher increase in mph it's fine. It's annoying to have to play with it even for the few moments it occurs. Anyone have any idea what causes this to occur? The truck has around 24k on it.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    "toohip" at 45 MPH or so, you're right around the point at where the torque converter locks up, putting you into overdrive. However, this "lock up" also depends on coolant temp, load, and throttle posision. If you're just on the edge of any of those parameters, the tranny has a tendency to "hunt" a bit, until the vehicle load/speed has stabilized.
    toohip,

Have you taken your vehicle into your local GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • bambam9bambam9 Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 chevy colorado just got shift solenoid A or 1-2 solenoid when i get into the transmission which solenoid is solenoid A or 1-2
  • bambam9bambam9 Posts: 2
    NEED HELP which solenoid is solenoid A OR 1-2
  • i have a 2004 chev colorado with 88k miles. i had a front end crash about 2 months ago. everything was fixed. 2 weeks ago the abs fault light came on but then went away

today the transmission light came on. when i was driving the car would not accelerate.

any ideas what my issue is?
    I had the same problem but my check engine light came on not transmission. When I read the code it indicated B shift solenoid. After the truck sat for an hour I drove it again and problem was cleared and have has not come back and it's been 10K miles since. I did change tranny fluid and located the solenoids on valve body and appear to be some what easy to replace.
    Also, you can purchase shift solenoids from Rockauto.com and not too expensive. As far as the ABS, I replaced the front hub and new hub has different way ABS senses tire lock up so if you mess with it at all you must replace sensor if you mess with hub.
  • It wont kickdown when I go on 3rd or 4th gear and hardly step on the gas. It hessitates, and shifts down until I loosen my foot. I did this with less than a quarter tank full of gas, I filled it up with gas and it wont do it anymore. Why did that happen?
  • I see a few forums that resemble my problem but not exactly. So here I go and I hope someone can shed some light on the repair needed. I bought a new 2006 Chevy Colorado in 06. Other than a few things needing repair (front wheel bearings and ABS sensors) it’s been an “Okay” truck. I have 92,000 miles on it now. At the end of last winter my 4WD stopped working. The push buttons would just flash in any position and it would stay in 2WD. All summer it was flashing in the 2WD position. I was moving in 2WD so I didn’t question things.

Now that winter is approaching I thought I’d look into fixing the 4WD. My parts guy said it’s probably the Actuator. So I bought it and installed. It seem that it is now going into 2WD, 4IH and 4Low. All seems good except the idiot lights. They stop flashing when in 4Hi & 4Low but keeps flashing in 2WD. Everything seems to be working. Back in the day the fix to this would have been “pull the bulb” Any thoughts out there?
  • i have a 2005 colorado and for some reason it has now decided to no work properly i have had very few problems with it but now my gear shift wont move any suggestions
    getta11,
    Have you spoke with a dealer? What kind of concerns are you experiencing? Can you please email me a VIN and description of your experience? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2005 Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Automatic

Hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. My tranny seems to "slip" or "hunt for a gear". I drive the same route to and from work everyday (50-60 mph). What is really odd is that it seems to happen in the same places everyday and they are all on right-bearing turns?? It won't do it in a left-bearing turn. Tach needle flutters up and down (usually 100 - 600 rpm flux). Every once in a while on country roads, when I make a sharp right hand turn and try to accelerate, the truck rpm will spike, truck hesitates to move, drop to a lower gear (or that's at least what it feels like to me) and take off like a rocket (usually chirps the tires when it does this).

I 've had this problem since the valve spring/head recall work was done (10000 mi). I have had the dealer look at it with no luck. I had the dealer install a VDR (vehicle data recorder) to try to find the issue. No luck. They even sent a guy with me to ride to experience the problem firsthand (turns out the guy they sent with me was the guy that washes cars at the dealership). Needless to say, that got zero results.

If anyone can shed some insight on this problem, please do. The dealer has been zero help to me. I've been a lifelong GM guy. I think it might be time to reconsider.
  • Fmagellan,

I’m sorry to hear about these frustrations you’re experiencing with your Colorado. If you like, Customer Assistance is available to follow up with the dealership you’ve been working with to try to resolve this concern. Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your preferred dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I need an email address to send the info to.
  • My email information is located on my profile here - please click on my username and you should be able to access that.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2008 transmission started making a noise and as you got up to about 50 it wouldnt make the noise. Got home and when i backedin the driveway it made a god awful noise. Called dealer talked to a lady and asked about warranty. She said warranty expired at 60thousand. Had truck towed to shop. Found out need new transmisssion. Luckly for me the dealer called me to ask how my recent trip to shop was. I explained to them the problem with tranny. Luckly it was still under warranty. Had to rent a car til they got it diagnosed. A day later they call and offer me a rental. So i had to pay for one day rental. Always been a chev man but my wife has a ford and not one problem. Every chevy ive had always had something wrong with it.
  • I hope that the transmission replacement goes well, golfingeddie1! If you have any questions or would like to work with Customer Assistance, please let us know.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • fmagellanfmagellan Posts: 10
    Your email is listed as private.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    fmagellan,

Oddly, we've had issues with our email displaying publicly on our accounts since this post. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com - I apologize for any confusion!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • The first mistake, you bought a GM car. As soon as I purchased a nissan, no more problems, bad lies from dealership, etc. Look at it like this, if the vehicle you are thinking of buying loses it value sharply after buying it, it's garbage. I buy japanese or korean cars now, you can buy the ones built here in the U.S.

Sorry to say the big U.S. car makers are putting out garbage! The colorado got discontinued because of so many problems. They seem to have monkeys for engineers, buy a car that keeps it's value. U.S. cars are great rental cars but I will never buy that crap again, the only time I go to the dealership is to buy another one. I have a 2000 Nissan maxima with 146,000 miles, it still drives great. American cars start dying after 50,000-60,000 miles.
  • Long story short. Took my truck to dealer to get valves done under warranty. They forgot to refill my transmission(yes they pulled the radiator).Left me stranded had to walk a few miles for fluid. Complained complained complained . No satisfaction. Now my transmission chirps the tires between 1-2 gear. good rench. HA. Never received customer survey. i believe they filled it out themselves.I would stay away from this brand of truck and their service dept.
  • lane23lane23 Posts: 7
    edited July 2013
    :( My Dad's 2008 Chevy Colorado, when he's driving slips into neutral from drive then makes a revving noise. Has anyone else come across this? He took it into the dealer, they had it for over a week and it never did it for them. It's done it 3x since he got it back from dealer on Monday, and it's only Saturday!! Anyone have any suggestions??? My Dad bought the truck used with warranty but if doesn't do anything while at the dealer they can't fix it under warranty.