Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Owner Experiences

Comments

• bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    Unless one of the other manufacturers come up with something that fits my needs in a hurry, I'm about to buy an '08 Colorado. With all the problems I'm reading about on the 04-06 models, can I expect that most of these problems to be resolved on the '08 model? Would it be wiser to grab an '07 to save some money, or are there substantial improvements in the '08?

Thanks,,,
  • I have an '05 Colorado and just this morning my power locks would not function as well as my driver side window. All other windows were fine. The advice you received from GM seems to make sense to me in that if the power window button and the power lock button were pushed at the same time it would cause an overload. I had left my dog in the car while I went into the store and she must have been standing on both buttons or held one of them down for a while. I have noticed in the past that she has inadvertently unlocked the truck.
  • My window and locks are now working! Let me share my experience, maybe it will save someone else some frustration. Based on everything I have read online I do believe that my dog was holding down the lock button until the on board computer shut down the circuit as it is designed to do. I waited most of the day and it still was not working. I tried all the advice I read; I checked the fuse box, I unscrewed the control board from the arm rest, disconnected the wires and plugged them back in securely. Nothing! I removed them again and applied the electrical grease as someone suggested. Nothing! I disconnected the battery as someone suggested. Nothing! The last thing I tried made no sense to me but I did it anyway, I removed the control panel, disconnected the wires, removed the screws that hold the circuit board in place and removed it. The way it is constructed prevents anything getting held down incorrectly, nothing was out of place, it is very simple and straightforward. Anyone who removes this will see how simple it is and that there is no way it could be damaged by holding down one, two or all the buttons at once for a hundred and fifty years straight. Yet, when I put it back together the window and locks worked!

I would have been happier if it just blew a fuse.
    We can all be thankful GM doesn't build airliners.
  • Anyone know if you can put a car seat in an extended cab? Would only need it in a pinch. Is it safe or even possible?
  • I have encountered the drivers window, keyless entry problem as well about 5-6 times. dealer can't seem to do anything about it, had a problem with my heat/cool fan quiting on me. My front right blinker goes out about every month. Brake lights stopped working(before the recall on the brake light switch). So they said they would fix it but i had to leave the truck in so they can take it out order a switch and wait for it to come in, even though they had one in stock. they said that on warrenty stuff the part has to be ordered. so i just bought the $10 part and put in my self. Some more little electrical problems as well, like some radio lights don't work, heater lights don't work. Last time i buy a Chevy or even American. Oh and you can fit a car seat in the back of a extended cab but not a baby seat, more like a toddler seat. It is very tight and might depend on the seat also. There are anchors for them.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I am just curious, would you have felt the same way if you bought a Nissan or a Toyota and would never buy one of those Japanese vehicles again?
  • I have the same problems that you are experiencing with my 2004 Colorado. What was the $10 part that you put on yourself that resolved the problems?
  • oh believe me i know how you feel i have an 05' colorado crew cab they told me it got 26 in the high way, HA yea right on the high way i average about 20 16-17 in the city i put about 50 bucks a week in gas in it it sucks literally well if gas prices get any higher im gonna sell it and ive only had it a little over a year so believe me your not the only one there is nothing wrong with your mileage well there is IT SUCKS
    I don't know your whole story but is this the best mileage you have gotten since you got the truck? Have you changed to more aggresive tires; tried different gas; drove like a little old lady; etc. Is your truck 4-wheel drive?
  • My 04 Colorado has 81,000 and the door lock and drivers window problem has been an issue with me now for a few months. I just today searched the internet and came to this site today. Sounds like a recall is needed here. I too popped of the drivers door armrest, removed and reattached the connectors and it worked too. We shall see. Thanks for all the advice too.
  • I have a 2007 SLE 4wd. The problem is when it is in 4wd Hi, the front axle binds tighter the more I turn the steering wheel. At full right or left it is almost bound tight. The more throttle I apply, the more it bucks and kicks. Is this normal? It has a small lift and somewhat larger tires but it is all factory. BTW I average 21 mpg in town and 26 on the hiway. Lots of power, (240 hp IL5), good torque, and comfortable. Love the truck, but would like to solve this problem. :confuse:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    for it to buck like that it sounds as if you are driving it on a dry or hard packed dirt road. The frontend needs to be able to slip a little to not have that problem. Soft dirt/sand or snow and there shouldn't be a problem. So unless you are driving it where 4 wheel drive isn't needed than something else is wrong. Now I live on a hard packed snowy road and when I pull into my drive which is short I leave it in 4 wheel drive. If I back out of the drive and try and turn it before hitting the snow I will get some of that bucking so I don't turn the wheel from straight until the front hits the snow. Hope this helps you some.
    It sounds normal to me. My custom 1978 GMC 3/4 ton would do the same thing when it was in four wheel drive and turning sharp on pavement.
  • medic22003medic22003 Posts: 2
    I have an 04 ex cab z71 4x4 with 58000 on it and average 17-19 around here on curvy hilly side roads...best ive done on the interstate is 22. It has the 3.5 in it. The interstate driving is an an average of 75-80 mph. I fortunately havnt had the problems some people talk about on these forums and hope i never do. Gm really needs to get these trucks fixed and then watch profits roll in. None of the other auto makers have any better trucks. They are all over priced and sub quality in some area.
  • medic22003medic22003 Posts: 2
    Both of my kids are out of car seats but they ride in booster seats in the back of my extended cab and claim that it is comfortable for them. I have to make sure thyey have the seatbelts on right but its solid.
    In the next 2-years there will be a new model as noted on this forum.

I drive a 1992 S10 2-wheel drive and I am still attached to it even though its body is rusted through. It has a 2.8 L V6 144,000 miles with 5-speed that is trouble free and still gets mid-20's highway with a best of 28 mpg while on a trip. I bought it new orginally and wanted to fix it up for show but it ended up being a daily driver.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    If I were you, I would either hang on to your truck or if buying used, try to find a low mileage S10. I would never in a million years buy a Colarado/Canyon. These trucks are a disaster waiting to happen. I wonder what the heck GM was thinking when they built this truck. One look at the bed and you see the welding mark the length of the bed tells you not much solid engineering went into the design of this truck. This past December I was looking for a compact pickup and bought a low mileage 2000 S10. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Good luck when you shop for your next pickup.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ok, I must make a counter-comment here....My nephew bought a new Colorado,beats it up as often as possible off road, tows a way too large boat with it, and barely keeps it serviced - the truck has amassed already 70,000 hard miles on it, with minimal trouble. The most irritating thing about it is the spare was smaller than the other 4 tires, and when applied to the front end because of a flat, burned out the front axle immediately - twice. Chevy dealer replaced the axle, but offered no fix other than "don't put the flat down". Of course, enterprising nephew got a larger spare. Other than that, it's a darn good truck, the likes of which the pathetic S-10 couldn't match in my experience.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    If you go to one of the tire measuring places like this one:
    http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit
    and punch in the spare tire size and the size of the tires on the truck of course they have to be the STOCK size tires that came on the truck you will find they are the same for all practical purposes. I know the spare is one size smaller than what is on the truck but they equal out as I used the same program to upsize mine to 17" wheels yet they still measured the same diameter as I took my wifes cloth tape measure and went around them. So my guess is either your nejphew changed out the tires on the truck to a bigger tire or something else was wrong and he just thinks it was the spares fault.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Nope - they are Chevy wheels and the truck came stock - they did not equal out in service, blew his axle twice. I'm just reporting, but despite that, Chevy stepped up twice and fixed it. It's been an awesome little truck, and I prefer it to the Tacoma, the Gold Standard of small trucks myself.