Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Owner Experiences

Comments

• leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    "Pond", the one thing that really annoyed me with my Canyon vs. my previous S-10 was wind noise in the cab. From what I've been able to determine, the issue is with the cabin air vents that are on the back of the cab, visible between the cab and bed. Something either in their design or location isn't quite right, and they allow a lot of wind noise in the cab.

I went over my truck very carefully when it was new, making sure that the body was "square" to the frame, and the bed was straight and square to the cab, as some of the boxes were sitting crooked on the frame, with one side sticking out beyond the cab, causing turbulance. I also put a bit of the "stereo competition" sound deaderer in the cab, which quieted it down a bit.

I recently took a part time job delivering parts for a local auto parts store. I drive an '07 Colorado, and I noticed that GM added a rubber strip to the front on the bed, to deflect the air away from the cabin vents. It does help, but the strips attach to a couple of tabs on the bed, which aren't on the earlier beds. If they were, I'd get the strips for my truck....
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    The poor rating in Consumer Reports regarding the the S10 is specific to the 4WD models. Wheel bearings are a particular problem on the 4WD S10. The 2WD models tend to have average reliability. I have owned both a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder S10 with 2WD and did not have significant problems with either one. I would lean towards the S10 because the engines are proven designs that have a pretty good track record. Further, since they are old tech (OHV designs) they are cheaper to rebuild or replace. Good luck.
  • deweesdewees Posts: 2
    Be sure to take the truck in for a complete check over, I would suggest you go somewhere besides the dealer. They won't tell you until after the warranty is up! At warranty end, (30,000) I started having all kind of leaks from oil seal to brake cylinders. The rear window leaks water and I just did not notice it before warranty ran out. The heater fan went out only works on 4. Passenger seatbelt wont retract, headlights keep needing replaced, etc. Most of these problems are common on the Colorado as I have been reading. Get a good once or twice over!
  • Too much of a mixed bag. I'm getting a one owner 1997 Silverado Extended Cab from a friend. Same price as most of the S-10s I've looked at and fairly simple to fix if I need to. It has a small V8 but gas mileage isn't important with the little I drive. Thanks to everybody who answered me. The Colorado sounds good as does the S-10 but used Colorados are too expensive because they are all late models. Most of the S-10's I've seen were overpriced and most were beat up. People out here use trucks as trucks. It would be better to look in a big city.
  • Like living with 95% clogged arteries. You know any day now it'll die. 65K miles and never was strong.
  • :( We have less than 1000 miles on our new 2010 Canyon, 5 cylinder, crew cab. So far, no problems. Around town, with my foot to the floor, the first tank netted about 18 m.p.g. With Highway Driving for half of the next tank and around town for the remainder, we we are right at 20 m.p.g. I sure hope this thing starts improving to make me feel a lot better about driving a "smaller" truck. I am really having "withdrawl" sympthoms from driving my bigger crew cab. I traded in my 2006 Chevy HD 3/4 ton, Duramax Allison, Crew Cab with trailering package (which we easily pulled a 10,000 pound fifth wheel travel trailer). Now, upon deciding to sell the fifth wheel, and with mostly around town driving; I am enjoying the ease of parking, pep this thing seems to have getting into traffic on the interstate, and so on. However, again, I am really cringing at getting use to this smaller rig. I have no expansive elbo room as totally accoustomed to in the past. And as has been said (it is like a small theatre) "No Ball Room" - if you guys know what I mean. When the knees are spread wide the left knee will surely wear a hole in the driver door in a year or so. Well, so it goes. I am "getting use to this thing". No real problems so far.
  • I have lovesd my colorado truck, I have not had any problems until my battery went dead. Have had since 10/2005
  • My battery went dead , now my door locks or driver window will work. I have tired to reset as it stated in manual, as well as removing negative battery termial to reset computer settings. I also checked all fuses. Can someone please help me with how I can reset the locks, and window so it will work.

Thank you
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    lindagibson,
    I would like to look into this for you. Can you please email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina at GM Customer Service, this is a common problem with this vehicle for thousands of your customers. Mostly the door locks and drovers electric window go dead at inopportune times (like at the toll booth or bank drive through). Ditto on my 2004 Colorado except for the dead battery. May I send you my vin too?
    doodads,
    I see problems. GM has me here looking for customers with problems and trying to assist them; however, recalls are formed by customer complaints to Customer Service (the number is in the owners manual). This causes Gm to look further into these concerns. Can you please e-mail me your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN and current mileage, as well as involved dealer? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have been on the phone with a Chevy Rep for 3 days and all they have done is talk in circles. yesterday I was promised they were going to find a dealership to fix my truck. My truck starts when and if it wants to. This all began when I took it to Molle Chevorlet to have my brakes fixed, which took them a week. Two days later I drove it to the store came out and it would not start. I took it back to Molle Chevorlet and they kept it two weeks, never finding out why it wont start. I have had it there three times. So the service manager gave me a number to a tow truck company to answer my question of why he couldnt fix my truck. I finally got a number to GM the first guy Mathew that I talked to hung up on me three times. Apoligizing for his phone disconnected me, I guess it works like my truck, when it wants to. Three people later and I got the phone call today that my truck has been reliable for me. RELIABLE?? Are you kidding I havent been able to take it any where in two months and I am still making payments on it and my extended warrenty. If you are looking for a truck dont by a Colorado and if your having problems dont expect Chevy to stand behind there product or there extended warrenty.
    richb7,
    Can you please email me with your case number from GM Customer Service?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • If you want a reliable vehicle, do not buy a Colorado. We have had all the problems mentioned on this thread. Its a shame too as the Colorado is a good looking truck, but the problems prove that looks are not everything.
    My husband has always been a chevy guy, we have a 76 custom deluxe junked in the pasture. Just couldn't part with the old gal, had a 92 Extended cab step side full size, was a good truck, wish we still had that one, we also have a 98 chevy Savannah box truck, has had small issues, but nothing terrible, but now this pretty little Colorado has broken the spirit of my chevy guy.
    :mad: :sick: :lemon:
  • i have a 2007 colorado z71 crew cab 5cyl 2wheel drive. purchased new, have 48,500
    miles. very satisfied up to now. reciently have had a problem with a smell from the
    heater. it happens when the engion is cold. turn the heater and fan on 2 or3 and
    you get a hot electric smell untill the engion is warm and then the smell goes away.
    the smell tends to burn your eyes and nose. very strange.hate to take to dealer
    becouse its out of warrenty. has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have
    any ideas what might be going on. thanks,
  • I have an 08 crew cab that has about 60k miles on it and exclusive of oil changes and new tires, I've had no problems with my truck. I also pull a 3k lbs trailer on occasion. Bought it used too!
  • disatisfieddisatisfied Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have owned a 2004 Colorado, 2WD, manual, 5 Cly since it was new. It has been a hughe dissapointment. Within the first 20K miles it experienced several ignition problems which ultimately led to a faulty harness in the low speed controls (it was severed somehow). About the same time the airbag warning light came on and sometimes went off. It too was a broken harness. The clutch was replaced becuse of a mis diagnosis of a noise problem. The radio speakers have been somehow damgaed and the distortion at bass levels is evident. The electronic locking system has locked me out for days at a time. This also affected the windows on the drive side. This restored itself w/o intevention. The check engine light comes on and a P0506 fault will be traceable with a diagnostic meter only to be cleared and driveable for some time before repeating. The heater fan will constantly die at speed settings below 4. I have determined it is the connector and resistor failue. I can make it go away for awhile but it will return when the system is used for a time. The latest is the ABS alert on the dash. It doesn't take much to trigger it such as a moderate incline at slow speed or a slightly undulating road at slow speed. It can be cleared and will randomly appear at some later date.

I have never owned a vehicle that is frought with so many problems. I have written GM of course but there has been no response. I would never buy this product again!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,912
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.
  • I also have an 08 canyon crew cab and I love it! no serious problems (tail light went a little weird with signal on but fixed it with a little wd-40) this site scares me with all the problems posted here! I have 90,000 kms on it, so far so good! Guess we got the good ones!