Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Diesel Questions

Comments

• Michelle,

I finally got my truck back. I had to pay for parts $1,250.00 GMC picked up the labor. It runs good now, hopefully for the next 300k. At 80K It should not of had any problems, I was told the Duramax breaks in at 100k. I can think of alot of other things I need to do with $1,250.00, I am lucky this is not my primary ride. All of 3 months to get my truck back, what a nightmare!!! And my paint is scratched up on each side of the hood where the mechanic was working.

Aaron
  • pearce369pearce369 Posts: 10
    I honestly can't believe you had to pay anything, I thought a 100k power train warranty covered the engine. But it doesn't surprise me, it seems all vehicle companies try to find anyway possible to dodge the bullet
  • folbfolb Posts: 54
    They say fuel injectors aren't part of your engine. Take it from me, PPE out of California sells a fuel rail valve that really works. I had trouble with mine. About $50.00 I think. Not too hard to install.
  • Truck is an 03 I only drive it on weekends and trips. 5 Years or 100k on the warranty so I was screwed!!!! All I can say is if you have a Dramax and it's out of warranty get an extended warranty!!! Head gaskets are a 34 hour job @ $100.00 per hour at the dealer plus parts = $4,500.00

Extended Warranty about $1,800.00 for 5 years or 100K, worth it!!!!!!

Not sure if I was lucky GMC helped me or if I should of not had to pay anything at all!!! It was out of Warranty though! Piece of crap Duramax!!!!
  • Feel very lucky you have a GMC. I had o5 Ford diesel last summer,42,000 miles 1 month out of warranty. They had tons of problems with the 6 liter. My truck would not start when hot and was a problem with small part in back of motor that they had alot Hundreds of problems with and they charged me $3400.00 to repair. It was a built in problem. After that 2 weeks later the turbo blew. I now have a 07 GMC dually diesel. My point is GMC stood behind something FORD said to me if they repaired their 6.0 liter problems they would have had to take government money. Guess what !!! I will never buy a Ford product again. You are lucky not to have the hate in you that I have for Ford.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,103
    slayersmith,
    Did you make the dealer aware of the scratches?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I am looking for a little guidance have 03 duramax 165000 miles, I am now getting what appears to be white smoke when truck is warmed up and sitting at idle, once was told I must be getting water in oil but this is not the case.. it does smell like fuel. Any info someone can give would be greatly appriciated.
  • pearce369pearce369 Posts: 10
    Many issues could cause this, two of the most common would be low compression and fuel injector pump issues.
  • well I have not yet had to replace any of the fuel injectors on this truck, I suppose it is time for me to shell out a few bucks and get it put on a computer I guess. Any thoughts on an 08 i have not seen much on this blog about the 08.
  • mrsixmrsix Posts: 1
    my 06 keeps blowing the turbo hose at high speeds how do i fix this
    an to be honest ive had a f350 an a duramax and they really dont make the dually trucks tough like youd think they would be for the high price i sware im about to wash my hands with duallys an try a suv i just hate to cross over to gas but yea these trucks are nothing but headaches an let downs
  • hpeepleshpeeples Posts: 2
    I have three Duramax diesels that all go into limp mode when loaded. One is 2500 and two 3500. The service engine light usually comes on first. Sometime just stopping for a while will clear it up. Sometime we flush the fuel filter and it goes away. GM has no solutions.
    Do you have power adders, programmers to increase HP? If you do, you are getting to much power to the trans. There are things you can install in your trans to increase clutch pressures. ATI, Bullydog, PPE all make these. I keep a 35.00 OBD II reader with me to reset the DTC code, however, the last time it went into limp mode( doing 75 MPH with AC on and punched the diesel) I had to reset with my PPE power programmer. But the reader normally does the trick. I have used the parts in the trans yet. Cost.
    hpeeples,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? Feel free to email me directly with your VIN and contact information. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • We have a 2006 Duramax 2500 with the same issue. Just started this year - have you found a solution? This will be the 3rd time we've taken it to the shop with this problem of it going into limp (safety) mode when we tow anything.
    Christina, what do your people say about the limp mode?
  • redcanyonkimredcanyonkim Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    The first time it happened we had driven 250 miles to buy a new camper, on the way home the truck started over heating about 30 miles into our trip to return home. We were in the middle of the desert without options except to get it home. We limped it home - stopping to let it cool down and driving 25mph. The mechanic replaced the thermostats and thought that would fix it.

The second time we were towing a camper to go out of town and never made it to the edge of the city before the truck went into limp mode -the mechanic said that a radiator hose collapsed, causing overheating that caused the limp mode to activate, and replaced it. This time we were hauling trash in our dump trailer and it went into safety mode on the way home after the trailer was empty...back to the shop today. Forgot to tell you that the temperature was normal.
    redcanyonkim,
    Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? If not I would recommend asking them to do so. Can you please email me with your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    folb,
    Can you please send me your VIN? What specific information would you like about limp mode? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    2005 Duramax. Don't have the vin handy. I have a PPE programmer on it. Under load, lets say on program 3, can get to 10, the trans feels like it slips from 4th to 5th and then either goes into limp mode where it can't get past 2000 RPM or it stays in 4th. I then have to pull over and reset a DTC code to clear the check engine light and the trans goes back to normal. The limp mode for the rpm's though, I think is more of a fuel rail issue where the driver side pressure relief valve doesn't hold. I've had to replace it with a race valve, also had to replace two fuel rail valve on the front of the engine (bigger orifices)and the fuel rail with valve on the passenger side. All a pickup fuel pump back by the fuel tank. I would have thought the trans would hold at least some additional power. Now replacing the water pump. Gasket leak so might as well replace pump. $1359.00. WOW 155,000 miles.
  • 06 duramax 3500 HD - I complained for ONE YEAR at the dealer about a clunk noise on driver front side. They could "never duplicate" the noise. Just had my local mechanic do service & tire rotation, the left front wheel hub assembly fell off in his hands!!! When I let the dealership know, they really didn't seem to care. This could have been disasterous for us pulling a 26' trailer!!
  • Warning light says check oil level; gauge is buried clear to right past 80; oil level is fine, and truck runs perfect. Changed the oil pressure sending unit with no change. What next?
    folb,
    Have you spoke with your GM dealer of choice? If not, I would recommend starting there. They will be able to assist you in diagnosing your vehicle and finding a resolution to your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 1GCJC39D16E208970 is a 2006 Silverado 3500, 1GBHC29D47E154952 is a 2007 Silverado 2500 and 1GCJK39698E174591 is a 2008 Silverado 3500 4x4. None of three GM service shops have solved the problem yet. The 2008 is in now for replacement of two fuel injectors at $2700.
    hpeeples, (and anyone else experiencing this concern)
    I would recommend having your dealer involve technical assistance if they are unable to diagnosis your vehicle. When you vehicle goes into reduced power (limp mode) there should be a code stored. I hope this helps. I am still looking for more information for this. But from what I have gathered the vehicle could go into reduced power (limp mode) for many different reasons.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    There have been reports of the trans slipping in the allisons between 4th and 5th gears while towing. I'm told it is clutch pressures. Do you have any info on this? Is there something in GM's computer system that can be reflashed or programmed to increase the clutch pressures? ATI, Bullydog, PPE, all make either parts to install in the trans or an electronic device to increase these pressures. Please let us all know.
  • I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD with 117k on it. About 2 weeks ago it threw a P0403 code indicating the EGR valve is having problems. I ordered a new EGR and this morning I started the truck put it in reverse and it died. It cranks, but won't start.

Would the EGR valve cause the truck to not start at all?
    Did you try to put the old EGR valve back in?
  • Haven't gotten the new one yet...just wondering if it will stop it from starting.
  • Check your electric fuel pump relay under the hood. It or one of the other relays could be bad causing the electric fuel pump not to run.