Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• ADDITION:

What I mean by "Interior Lights" is the dashboard lights, clock/radio lights, etc....
  • I have a 1994 JGC 5.2 that is hard to start and when it does it runs for about 3 seconds and shuts off, if you try to give it any fuel at all it immediately shuts down. any ideas?
  • My 97 JGC will start up and then bog down and then it will just fire up this is the first time this has happend and i was wondering if there was any solutions? Thanks
  • fwefwe Posts: 4
    Ok, here goes, I cured this problem, after changing the IAC, no help, I checked the Throttle Position Sensor, it was bad, changed it and problem is now cured!!!!!!
  • I am experiencing exact same problem with my 1996 GC. Any ideas how to fix this? I have owned this car since 1998 and no problems of this type until now.

Thanks
  • Lydiam99,

Did you ever get that problem fixed? I'm having the EXACT same issue with my '98 JGC 5.9. The lights on the dashboard have been dimming for some time now, and the engine has started to die when I take my foot off the gas. I'm hesitant to take it to a dealer since the problem doesn't always happen. It would be my luck that it would malfunction all the way to the dealer and then when the dealer checked it out it would be fine. Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Scott
  • fwefwe Posts: 4
    Scott, yes I did, it was the TPS, AKA Throttle Position Sensor, I changed it ( very easy to do, if you have a throtle body, its located on it, takes about 10 min.) and the problem is cured... good luck. Suggestion, get the Hayes Repair Manual, it is a big help... the part is inexpensive, $30 - $40, and it is an easy task. Good luck
  • Thank you very much. I'll give it a try.

-Scott
  • Hi, I too have a '98 JGC with the dimming light problem and the stuttering of power. Did you get the problem fixed? If you don't mind, I like to hear whatyou did. Was it spendy?
    Thanks for your time,

:sick:
    Trelliswest
  • I haven't had the time to try this yet. When I do, I'll let you know.

-Scott
  • Hey all..got a 1994 JGC 5.2..last year at this time my Jeep would not start and you could hear the relay clicking...my local dealership determined that it was an O2 sensor and that they were getting no response from the ECM. I bought a used ECM and replaced it and the Jeep worked fine..until the summer when it started to just stall..it would sputter and I would have to rev it to keep it going...then it would sometimes rev itself and thge RPM's would shoot all over..now what's happening is my voltage meter is dropping whenever I use anything (lights, heat etc) and the sputtering is back in full force..but the last two things only happen when the Jeep is warmed up. Sometimes it starts back up..other times it will not fire and the only way to get it to run is to unhook the ECM and re-hook it back up..then it starts right up...oh one last thing..when my central monitor reads 10000km to service, the Jeep sputters and shuts off..happened THREE times in a row and once I reset it, it works fine. But oddly my km's to service reset to 12068km's..what's that all about? HELP ME BOYS!!!
  • lunghdlunghd Posts: 61
    You're absolutely right - DC / Jeep takes enormous pride in trying to out-Lucas the 'Prince of Darkness' with electrical gremlins. Fortunately most are more easily remedied than your old Brit-mobile.

Connectors get oxidized & throw off the ECU sensor voltages. Cleaning them with contact cleaner (non-solvent base!) & putting a little dielectric grease in them can often work wonders. Sometimes a ground jumper wire around a bad connector is enough to fix a particular issue - depends on the circuit affected.

For the Jeeps made since AMC got out of the game - ground cables are known issues. Just expect it to cause problems one day so go ahead now and spend less than $5 to replace the braided factory one from the engine to the firewall with a generic battery ground cable w/ eye terminals on each end.

While I focus on Jeep XJ's with the older RENIX based engines, I'll gladly help anyone I can or at least point you in the correct direction for help. You can contact me in this thread or on my email form at my website:

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website
  • finally i have others with my same problem. i have a 1996 JGC, 4.0 and have the flickering dash lights, doors only lock and unlocking on occasion, jumping idle at stops and when cold, stalling when at stops, all very random and increasing in occurence. i have replaced the feul pump last year, also the ignition coil, IAC, and just replaced cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires, as i knew i needed those done. still same problem. my next step is going to be the fuel filter again, and possibly the throttle position sensor. any other ideas? other than this mystery, i love my jeep. also, should i disconnect the battery in order for the computer to find the new IAC?
    Check your ground cable from the engine to the firewall + from the battery. Everything you describe isn't just random, nor (we hope...) is your Jeep possessed! Common to all these things is the electrical system and bad ground cables are VERY common - especially the braided garbage cable from the engine to the firewall.

There is also a electrical feed plug on the firewall than can, on occassion, give problems. It's low on the list of suspects but the vast majority of electrical connections to the interior run though it.

If you have a straight drive - make sure there hasn't been any leakage of fluid from the clutch master cylinder down the inside beneath your dash onto the fuse panel, or any electrical connectors. It's nothing more than brake fluid and eats up many plastics & paint.
  • thanks for the tip. i will try replacing that ground cable today and see what happens. i will let you know.
    thanks so much!
    Yes, please post back! It's a cheap fix of a common item that causes a LOT of wierd behavior on these vehicles. Should cost under $5.00 at AutoZone etc... It will eliminate that engine ground strap as a potential cause & we can go from there.
  • i don't trust myself to figure out which cable wire it is....i think i may have to ask someone to do it for me. i went and bought the generic cable with the eye terminals at each end.
    No worries - Open the hood.
    Look on the firewall near the engine on the driver-side.
    There should be a flat, braided steel cable bolted there that runs from that point over to the rear of the engine's head.

If that's gone then you should see the bolt hole there, perhaps with the bolt still there. (Metric size, I think.) You can just run the new cable from that point and bolt it to the back of the engine or head. (Not on the manifold or valve cover bolts - those are not good ground points either.)

I think I have a schematic on my site of the engine bay. Let me check & I'll repost.
  • i looked and i don't see a braided steel cable anywhere. and many of my cables and wires are covered in those black plastic covers. hmm. i wish i could find it, as i am so curious about this. let me know if you find the schematic of the engine bay.
    Yes, I have the schematic. Wasn't posted on my site but I'm editing the files right now. My XJ isn't here or I would just shoot a photo & post it for ya... I'll do that as an edit for the article I'm getting ready to post to my site in a few days but the schematic should help you find it.

On older 4.0L's the ground cable wasn't braided - it was just part of the engine harness but went to the same locations. Sorry, I thought you had a newer XJ (the forum format here isn't the greatest & I simply didn't pick up on it.)

Just to double check - post your model, year & engine size... but here's what to look for on a 4.0L engine:

Look on your engine's dipstick tube. (Holds the dipstick that you use to check oil.) It's bolted to the passenger side of the block. The bolt that holds it in place to the block should have a wire grounded to it.
    THAT is the engine end where the OEM harness connection on my 1990 XJ goes to the block. Make sure your new cable is long enough to go from there to the firewall bolt.

To begin:
    Engine end:
    You can bolt your new cable to the dipstick tube bolt, or any other available bolt - but for simplicity - let's assume you choose that one.

Just remove the nut, pull off the existing ground wire, scuff up the area a bit with a wire brush if you'd like, install one end of your new cable there, reinstall the OEM ground wire, replace the nut & tighten. (Don't overdo it but get it tight.)

Firewall end:
    Standing in front of your Jeep, facing the windshield... Look for a bolt on the firewall, about 8" to the right of center and near the upper side of the firewall. It should be a black wire with a metal connector on the end being held down by a bolt. Once you see it, just remove that bolt. The OEM ground wire will likely come off with it - no problem. Just remove the OEM ground wire and SCUFF THE WIRE's CONNECTION METAL with a wire brush or sandpaper. Install your new ground cable beneath the OEM ground wire and reinstall the bolt.

I'll have those diagrams up in a few minutes for you and post the URL here.