Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• mycar99mycar99 Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8. My engine ECU is supposedly bad. having contacted a local JEEP garage, the cost of replacement is astronomical. I contacted autocomputersystems.com and we agreed on the price. But just google the name again and the review page came on
    http://fortlauderdale.citysearch.com/profile/2448438/davie_fl/auto_computer_exch- ange_inc.html.
    Can anyone help me with a reliable coy that could solve this problem for me please?
    Thank you
  • alby3alby3 Posts: 46
    GOT MY ECU OFF EBAY.... REBUILT WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY $180 . WAS A SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY. I SENT THEM THE PART NBR, VIN NBR, AND THE MILEAGE... THEY PROGRAMED IT IN. AND SENT IT. WORKED PERFECTLY. SUPPOSEDLY YOU CANNOT GET NEW ONES ANYMORE..
    GOOD LUCK. EDMUNDS WILL NOT LET ME SAY THE NAME

ALAN
  • I was told I need to replace my ECM also. I removed the unit and greased the connectors & pins with dielectric grease and it has been working fine for over a year,

It is a 30 minute, $2.49 fix. Well worth a try.
  • jvega79jvega79 Posts: 1
    Have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I turn the ignitions to start it up it won;t turn on. The lights/radio work though. With key turned all the way to start I put the car in Neutral and let it roll for 3 - 5 seconds. The place it back in Park and then it turns on just fine (Most of the time).

I'm not getting any error codes or a check engine light.

Has anyone else had this issue?
    could be your shifter is not seating it self properly in PARK. if the car thinks it is not in park, it will not start...
    good luck
    alan
  • Hey guys, my 1993 Grand Cherokee starts fine then it is cold. As soon as I have to crank it up then it is warm it need some time before it starts. I changed the spark plugs and the oil filter. After each work it started 3 or 4 times finde before the old trouble came back.
    Who had the same problem and know what to do.
    Thanks in advance.
  • hi...
    my '97 jeep cherokee is having some running problems. it started when i couldnt get it to start and/or run from a parking lot without keeping my foot on the gas.. i checked the fuel injectors and the coil, both were working fine, so i replaced the sparkplugs. that didnt work. then i replaced the air idle sensor, throttle sensor, and wires because it would not keep idle and reved on its own. it seemed to run fine, no more stalling when i went to accellerate, but i replaced the rotor cap and button anway. i thought i fixed the problem, but now when i let the rpms abruptly stop (stomping on the excelerator quickly and letting it go) it dies when the rpm gauge goes down. im at my wits end, please help!
    sounds more like your crankshaft position sensor CPS
    very easy to replace on my 2000 gc 4.7 v8....
    good luck
    alan
  • dmmalerdmmaler Posts: 5
    i have a 94 jeep cherokee ltd. i have had all the basic tuneup done wires,plugs distributor cap, fuel filter, i had piston changed pick up coil valves checked for leeks. it has about 100 thousand miles and it is a 5.2 v8. for the past three weeks it has been stalling out. temperature gauge is within normal range. the fuel pump is only a few years old. i have not put a fuel temp gauge on it yet. it will run for a while and then stall out. it starts back up after about 10 or 15 min and sometimes it will run a bit longer and sometimes it doesn't. no one seems to know what the problem is and i am not trying to spend a fortune for another mechanic. i have also been reading a lot of forums and this seems to be a problem with this car. can you please tell me what I might need to do to fix this. i do not think it is the fuel pump because when you put the key in and turn it, i had someone laying underneath to see if they could here it come on and it does. please help. i am at a loss. thanks
    donna maler
    i agree.... cps crankshaft position sensor... a 20 minute install ... think its about a $30 - $35 part. plus if thats not it, that is about mileage they go out. so you would be heading off another problem before it happens
    is cps same as pick up coil and if not where is cps, under distributer?
  • tjenner2tjenner2 Posts: 2
    Have a 3.7 6cyl Laredo and when breaking the engine steps up its idle as though I am also stepping on the gas slightly but am not.

No check engine lights. Any idea what the cause could be?
    changed crank position sensor and pick up coil and coil pack. what else can i do. maybe has somethng to do with alarm. i have the alarm that can in the car and i also had a remote starter installed with a security system as well. could this maybe be a problem? don't know what else to do. any help would be really appreciated. thanks
    donna maler
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    sounds as if brake booster has vacuum leak try and pinch the line going to master cyl then start jeep pun on brakes see if rpm goes up
    it was engine coolent sensor. thanks
  • My grand cherokee after heating up does not start in one go (Not always).
    I replaced the Battery and still the same ?
    Starter Motor checked but could not find any problem.
    In addition to this some times after starting A/C ,Signal Lights , does not work and
    some times after few minutes it starts working. At this time dash board ABS ,and
    Air bag lights does not get switched off .
    can any one give the reason and what is defective.
    Jagath Ranawaka Sri lanka
  • clayfieldclayfield Posts: 1
    To Lynnsjeep,

I have same issue, and I see you posted changing the fuel pump. My buddy suggests this is what I should do...My car stalled like your story, etc and after reading these posts, it's so hard to figure out where to start. Your last post I saw stated "2nd day after fuel pump change and running good"...How has the car since the fuel pump change??? I have a 2000 Jeep..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care.
    i thought i changed engine coolant sensor but it was engine temperature switch. ran for about hour and half and some next day and stalled again. i put a temperature switch in from junk yard first time. ran good for a while second temperature switch put in brand new and it ran for about 20 min. than stalled, would not start right away and then about half hour ran again for about 20 min long enough to make it home. thank god. don't know what else to do. i am going to change the engine coolant sensor and put a new thermostat on it and see it that work. any suggestions would greatly be appreciate.
    You may want to check these few things below....
    i probably replaced a few good sensors but they were reaching their replacment time anyway.....

mine was not that bad. but it shut off like the key was turned off.... no studder or misfire.... and no codes . but it always started right back
    got mine fixed with the very last option #2 below, I HAD TO REPLACETHE BRAIN (ECU) Got mine off ebay for $185 from on line auction
    they will program, and ship for that price..... it has a lifetime warranty. It has to be programed for your vin #, part nbr, and mileage.... but they will tell you all that. It took about 35 minutes to swap the part. worked like a charm.......

grand cherokee stalls or dies out.

option #1
    1) CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS AT THE ECU (ENGINE CONTROL UNIT) MAYBE CALLED THE PCU (POWERTRAIN CONTROL UNIT) ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FIREWALL. ON 1998 AND EARLIER THE 3 PLUGS SOMETIMES GET A BAD CONNECTION. IT IS USUALLY THE ONE CLOSEST TO THE FENDER. UNPLUG, SPRAY WITH CLEANER AND REPLUG. YOU MAY EVEN HAVE TO WRAP A ZIP TIE AROUND THE UNIT TO KEEP THE PLUG IN TIGHT.

option #3
    2) FOR 1999 AND LATER

I had same problem.... 87,000 2000 grand cherokee 4.7l
    when i let off the gas it might stall. happens 1 to 4 times a day.
    so far i have
    replaced the crank shaft sensor - it stopped stalling for 3 days $130
    cleaned the throttle boddy free
    replaced the throttle position sensor $72
    replaced the idle air control sensor $132
    replaced the map manafold airflow sensor $125
    no luck it is still stalling. not sure if i remember the prices
    right on these parts....
    by the way i have done all the work myself. it was about 30 minutes for most parts.
    i just ordered a rebuilt ecu or pcu engine control unit. they program in the vin, mileage and part nbr so you gc will recognize it. $185
    we will see when that comes.....

IT CAME AND THAT SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM..... BEEN 3 months.... SO FAR SO GOOD

good luck
    alan
  • I might have the same problem. 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8- When I run the car for an extended amount of time in traffic, stop and go driving or with the ac on in park it will just stall out. I will try to get it started again but the gas gauge reads empty and the check gauges light comes on.
    I have a CarMD check engine code reader for my jeep but it always passes with a green light even though the check gauges and check engine lights are both on and the sentry key light is on as well.
    While I run the car, before it stalls out, the CarMD reader shows a yellow light but no codes. I've replaced the CPS, fuel filter/control unit, thermostat, fuel injector, put a new AirAid air intake, new spark plugs but still this problem persists. One thing i will say is that the sentry key logo tends to stay on after it stalls but thats just strange. Again, my diagnostic kit, CarMD, doesn't read any codes (Green light with 0 problems) after the stall. I'm at my wits end, I might try to replace the PCM before taking it to the dealership. Any Ideas as to the problem would be greatly appreciated. Why no codes eh?
  • jonjj234jonjj234 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 jeep grand cherokee aswell. Got the factory remote start and the 4.7L engine. Did you figure out what was causing this? Mine is barely starting and when it does, it just sputters and sounds rough. But will eventually start when I give it gas.
  • rpassrpass Posts: 1
    I have a jeep grand cherokee 4.0 straight six that has suddenly stopped idling. You can start the car but once you lay off the gas pedal the revs will drop to nothing and the car will die.

Any suggestions as to possible faults/cures.

Many thanks :confuse:
  • cyclonetaloncyclonetalon Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.7L v8 110,000 miles

Yesterday after about a 20 minute ride on my way home my car stalled and threw a check engine light. I started it right back up and every time I slowed down or came to a stop it would stall but start right back up. I tried making it to the garage to get the code read but the were actually locking the doors when I pulled in.

So I take my car home and I figure I will try to take it to work today and see what happens it did not stall or act up for about 15 minutes and then it stalled and would not start at all. I let it cool down for 2 hours and tried it again but no start.

The engine cranks and the guages are not going haywire, I have a full tank of gas, a decent battery. Another odd thing is my airbag light came on about a week ago for no apparent reason? have not thought much about it.

from my readings i am guessing Crankshaft position sensor (probable) or ECU (possible)

any help would be much appreciated.
  • tjenner2tjenner2 Posts: 2
    Turns out it was the Throttle Possitioning Sensor. Thanks for the input from everyone.
  • scottj1scottj1 Posts: 9
    I have read 700 pages of start / stall problems on JGC. Mine is similar to 5, all without solutions that work on my car. I have a 2001 GC 6 cylinder. It drove fine until it wouldn't start and keep running. It starts immediately, no problem. It runs for about 2 to 3 seconds, sounds fine. It will idle during this time, or rev if I depress the throttle. It then stops without any backfire, stutter, or hesitation. It stops, period. The fuel pressure on the fuel rail is normal at all times. The tach, fuel level, oil pressure gauges all show zero during this start / stop process. They never budge in spite of the tank being full, oil being pumped, and the engine doing between 800 rpm's and 2000 when I rev it. Under duress from my best friend, I replaced the cam sensor at the old distributor location. It did not work, nor did I expect it to. I would DEARLY appreciate any specific suggestions that don't include replacing things without being able to test and verify their failure. I was a mechanic for 17 years and I don't blindly replace parts (ok, I did swap the cam sensor but I did this for friendship). Please help... any similar problems with solutions that work are sincerely appreciated.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    i would check out the ignition switch as you have no gages when this happens sounds as if have dirty contacts
  • wilson72wilson72 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    How can I fix this. My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3.7L 6 Cyl. 71,000 mi. The engine light is on and the car isn't running on all cyl. I had a computer reading and it said that there is moisture in the line. I switch from mid grade to hi test gas and I'm adding "Heat", a moisture remover to the gas when I fill up, but after 4 tanks of gas, the engine light is still on and the problem is still there.
    if you have that much i the lines i might consider changing the fuel filter(s).... on my waverunner the water gets trapped in the filter and keeps getting in the line....i hva to change out the filter or at least take it off and get all the fluid out and then let it refill with good gas... but that is just a guess....
  • ahukillahukill Posts: 3
    Had some work done recently on a/c. They suggested a new battery due since they had to jump it after doors being left open for a short time. It stalled out me in drive thru a week prior. Now it is doing at stop signs more and more. I just purchased new battery. Got car home and stalled in driveway. The rpms idle up and down. Then eventually it goes out. This is the most it has happened ever in this car. It was due a new battery no doubt. This summer is very hot compared to last year. I have read other posts contributing weather as a factor? I like this car but am stressing now. Any ideas? Thanks!! ---
  • ahukillahukill Posts: 3
    This is a 4.7 V-8 engine. I should have mentioned that. I apologize.