Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• I am new to this forum...

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 4.7L V8 engine. Like many JGC owners, I had had many problems along the way.

Last week the car began acting out during start-up and would die immediately after a start (after trying several times) and would die in idle if the gas pedal was not pushed down to supply extra gas. The lights would dim, the car would make a big hesitation as if dying out with a faint crank. After turning the key several times to start the car up, it would start and would die immediately in idle if extra gas is not supplied in high rpm idle by pushing the gas pedal...

The lights in the car would otherwise work fine, the gauges, the power seats etc would function... The voltage gauge would show 13-14 volts on the dashboard analog gauge once it went through a successful start-up by supplying extra gas for 30-60 seconds.

This went on for about a week until I replaced the battery yesterday and all the problems were solved... My battery was an AC Delco battery with a 7-year warranty and had just completed 4 years of use this month.

I was thinking either a malfunctioning TPS, an IAC valve or a crankshaft sensor, but wanted to take the battery question out of the way first...

Reading this post last night gave me this idea... I appreciate all the help... and wanted to give a feedback...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Welcome to CarSpace.

Did you by any chance have the battery tested before replacing it?
  • Yes, it was necessary for me to receive a partial credit and the test showed that the battery was bad...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Well, sometimes batteries die early or sit on the lot in the heat for six months. Four years isn't unheard of although I usually get a few more than that on mine.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    i live in az and 2 to 21/2 years is all iget out of my batteries
  • The light at the end of the tunnel........

Oh my, what along dark road! At this point, I dont even know were to start! Well I guess the car would be a good start. I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee leraido. In the beginning my car would die on the high way sometimes not start, stall at the stop signs, lights,etc.. If I waited a few hours it would start up no problem and run fine, even sometimes it would start up after 20 mins. I changed, the crank and the cam position sensor if fact an entire new distributor, and the cap, rotor, plugs, wire, coil, Idle air, m.a.p. sensor, and what ever that third sensor on the throttle body was, I changed that too!, I cleaned the throttle body and the intake, put new fuel filter/pump, and injectors. At that point the only this left to change was the pcm, so what did I do? Yup you guessed it, I changed that too! At this point I found out there are a couple of recall's, had that done by the dealership, and when they were done with that, I asked them to find out what was wrong with the car, after 2 weeks of having the car, still no luck they could not tell me what was wrong with me car, oh but dont worry they still figured out a way to charge me! so after i towed my car out of the dealer ship and paid the 125 doller diognostic fee ugh!!!! My car still did not start at that point. I brought it to my mothers mecahnic, they had the car for 4 weeks, I just got the call that the car is running just fine. The car is fixed!!!! I dont know how much I owe scarry thought! but I do know what was wrong with the car. You ready? I tryed to keep you in suspence, did it work? Well any-ways. My car had a 1997 transmission in it becuase @ 125000 miles it needed a new one. Now @ 211000, miles I find this out. well when I address the origanal issue and the very first the I replaced. The crank sensor, well I got a "96" one in and not a 97, thus cuasing all these probelms! Are you picking up what I am putting down. Althought the model for a 96 fit, it was not conducive. It did not work! Moral of this stroy is, when ever you do work on your car, dont asume becuase the make model and year of the car is one thing, that the tranny or the engine transfer case or anything eles is the same, expeshally when it's and older car! This car had alot of work done to it! i am going to keep it! and when I buy a new car, it will be a luxry one! I think i will try and hit 300,000miles with this strait six! what do you thing will it make it? cheers and good luck, i got some body work to do now!
  • Oh let me give a little bit more detail, it was the air gap between the end of the crank sensor and the flywheel. The sensor was actually touching the fly wheel. If this air gap is not correct it will throw off the entire car! lesson learn quality over quantity ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!
  • I had similiar problems with my jeep as far as I can tell it is related to the ignition and alarm, if it happens again and you are stuck somewhere, just remove both cables from the battery for about 20 seconds then put them back on turn the key to the start position and wait for everything on the dash to light up then start the car. since this is the first time this is happening to you, I can tell you it will get progressively worse, the only solution I have found to date is to not use the alarm fob lock the doors manually when you exit the vehical and use the key to open the car, the dealer as always has been useless. good luck
  • I have a problem with my 2001 jeep grand cherokee. I took it to the automotive place twice and they found nothing wrong with, but it keeps on dying on me. i drive it to run arrands and it just dies. then like 20 mins later it starts up and drives like nothing........I thought it would be the battery so replaced it but it still dies. can anybody give me advice?????
  • I am having trouble with my 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo (Automatic 4.0 with 6 plugs). I purchased this vehicle out of a barn where it had been sitting for a couple of years. I was having trouble starting. I.E. would crank for up to three minutes before it would start. I have since replaced the cap and spark plug wires, spark plugs, the crank sensor on the fly wheel. (Boy was that a treat and thank god for having a mechanic for a neighbor and friend helping me!) After not being able to get it to start for a week straight, I was sitting inside the jeep thinking my next steps. I noticed the computer display panel by the Automatic shifter wsn't set. I set the the time and date, then said what the heck "I'll give it a try." The car started after hearing clicking noises from the relays. I have since then noticed that when I turn the key in the ignition, my jeep does its normal bulb checks and starts fine. Yet if the CHECK ENGINE light does not appear when it does the bulb check in the display panel, it will not start. When this light does not turn on, I do not get fuel pressure or spark to the plug.
  • I have been experiencing the dreaded "engine randomly shuts off while driving" problem that seems to plague a lot of Jeep owners with high mileage. However, I'm not getting any codes that would indicate any problems(Just code 12) No check engine light... Nothing.

I just took it for another test drive, and it stalled again about 4 miles up the road, however, instead of immediately pulling over, I decided to put my foot in the pedal, and the engine fired right back up and I went on driving.

Before when it stalled out, I just pulled right over in fear that if I did anything else I could possibly damage something, but this time I just gave her some gas, and like a light switch it fired right back up.

I feel like I'm chasing a gremlin. Replaced fuel filter/Dist cap & rotor/Plugs & wires... etc

Throttle position sensor? Crank position sensor? MAP sensor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • I had the same problem, after alont of time and money, i figured out what the problem was, the crankshaft postition sensor. Now, this was the very first this I did, and it did not resolve the issue, becuase the crk sensor in on the driverside of the bell housing on top, a few years ago i had a tranny job done, they put in a 1997 tranny in, my car is a 96 so beware what parts your working with.
  • Just wanted to update my orig. post. So my Jeep finally threw me a bone and the Check Engine light finally came on (prob be the only time I'm happy to see that light...lol) So I checked it and its reading Code 21 (Problem with O2 sensor). I'm going to check the wires and more than likely replace the sensor this weekend. Crossing my fingers and hoping this is the reason for the failed emissions. Keep ya'll up to date after I fix it. ;)
  • I installed a new Crank position sensor now my jeep idles like crap. Sounds like it is missing really bad. Like a bad plug or just misfiring. I doubt its a plug or anything else besides the CKS because it idled just fine with the old one but was stalling while driving.
  • Ok I have a 95 jeep cherokee I just put a new motor in. the motor was from a 89 jeep cherokee, the intakes wasn't the same so I change the one of the old motor to the new one. The problem is it will crank but it wont start, but there's a trick it act like it wants to start when you first crank it, but after that it just cranks, but when I pull the fuel pump relay out and try to start it, it cranks a couple of times and then starts up and runs for about 20 to 50sec and runs really really rough, and then dies. Please some one help.
  • the problem is a crank sensor located on driver's side near the top of the transmission i know this cause i was having same problem i took it to the dealer to have it fixed cost was 299.00 but was worth it cause there were a bunch of re-call that needed to be fixed on my jeep good luck..
  • I have a 2000 (4.7) JGC limited. Intermitantly all gauges would bounce everywhere when trying to start it. If I would press the brake, all gauges would return to normal, and the vehicle would start. Never had an issue while driving. Now the battery is being drained, and sometimes the gauges would bounce even after the vehicle is shut off. I can jump it, but it will be drained the next time I jump in. I've read someone suggesting an ignition switch. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what I can try? Thank you for any info!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    how old is the battery? could have bad cell in it
  • As ironic as it sounds, I had an issue with my 2000 JGC, which was a bad battery. My Jeep started popping off a P1474 error, yet there wasn't a problem with the exhaust that could be found.

Then my battery started to have problems on Saturday. Slow cranking, then would turn over. Got worse and worse over Sunday and Monday. Went back to Walmart, who diagnosed a bad cell in the battery, and replaced it no charge (I purchased it there, about 1 yr ago).

You might want to have the battery and cables checked.
  • My 2006 Jeep Grand ch, V8 will turn off while driving, it is my main car I travle all day with kids, this is not safe! It may do it one week then not the next. I have taken it to the dealer and ran the tests on it and nothing is showing on the computer to show a problem. It will do it at random, it has happened at 35mph and today at 75 on the highway. No lights on the dash show. The dealer said until a light shows they can not know the problem. Help!!!!!