Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• uzd2byoungeruzd2byounger Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Hi: I have owned a 98 Sport Cherokee since 94. Two oxygen sensors replaced along with new starter this year. The last couple of days, Jeep is possessed. One evening it would not start. I just kept hearing a "click,click,click". Wouldn't start. Husband put battery charger on it overnight. Next morn it started fine. That evening, I turned the ignition key,. started right up but died as soon as I hit the brake to put it in reverse. Repeated process three times. Hubby hopped in and it started right up. He had the auto part employee test the battery which has been in the Jeep since we bought it. Battery checked out fine according to employee but he suggested hubby bring it back when "engine " light comes on. Engine light doesn't come on. Sooooooooooo.....this morn I get in it and it almost wants to resist starting but does start. Off I go..............Jeep runs fine. Always has. Within the past 5 hours, I have gone into the garage and the Jeep starts up fine. Does anyone know what is going on? What confuses me is, if the battery had gone dead, as he thought the first time it wouldn't start, wouldn't I have had to reset the clock inside? Clock was fine. I need an experienced person to help or someone who could recommend a good exorcist. Thanks, Mary
  • Ok, see if someone can figure this out because everyone I know is stumped. I've asked a few mechanics and parts store personal and no one knows.
    First I need to explain the problem. After driving for so long, say 25-30 miles, it starts to act up as if it was running out of fuel. Backfiring, cutting out, loss of horse power ect... It does it whether you try giving it a little gas or the whole petal. But it only does it after being driven for awhile and its hot outside. When the temperature outside cools off and during the winter it doesn't act up at all. When it's not acting up it runs great and no problems. Sometimes I can put it in neutral and turn key off and back on and it fixes for a short time. Other times I have to actually pull over and turn the jeep off and let it sit for approx 10 mins and it's back to normal again for a short time. It's not showing any warning lights inside of any kind. There are no vacuum leaks that have been found after several times looking and listening. My theory is something is getting too hot I just can't figure out what. If someone could please help me I would for ever be grateful.

This is a list of things I have tried so far:
    Fuel pump
    Fuel filter
    Plugs
    Plug wires
    Cap
    Roter
    Pick up coil
    Coil
    Fuel pump relay
    Crank shaft position sensor
    The air filter is new as well and gets regular oil changes.
    Also I have tried cleaning intake and has had prob. 6-8 bottles of either Seafoam or Lucas fuel treatment since problem began.
  • Hi,
    Recently I have been having a big problem with my jeep. Everynow and then when im driving I lose all power and I pull over and sometimes it cranks back on and sometimes i have to wait a little bit. Well, the check engine light came on and it said it was an emissions evap control leak large and small, we found a leak by the air cleaner and got that taken care of. However, it still is doing that. Our one buddy whose a mechanic said that back by the gas tank it sounds like a leak, the leak sounds like what a propane tank leak would sound like. He said it is not supposed to make that sound...Any ideas what it could be? The hoses are all connected...
  • My trobles sound like swelms! Help, Please!!
  • We have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Editon that does the same thing. Like you, we have replaced almost everything under the hood. Today we replaced the fuel pump and then test drove it and barely made it home because it is still doing the same thing. If you find the problem please let me know it will help a lot.
  • I will tell you that I am facing the same frustration. Bought it used for my daughter to use as it has 170K miles. Instantly changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter, new exhaust and head gasket ($1K at a shop). Car ran fine for about 1 week then I replaced the following due to a missing (bucking, loss of power)issue when rolling down the highway:
    new wires, plugs, dist. cap, rotor, ignition coil ($100 total, I did the work)
    Still missed.
    Took it to an independent shop, they pulled a code for Crankshaft positioning sensor. Replaced and cost me $340!
    Within 2 days, car just dies/stall/shutsdown. Sometimes restarts right away, sometimes it doesn't. I then replaced the idle air control valve, which was heavily carbonized...still did the same thing. I replaced the TPS, still does the same thing. Replaced the MAP sensor, still does the same thng but seems to be getting worse as I can barely go a tenth of a mile before it just dies. Another $130 spent on those parts.
    My last recourse is to replace the PCM for about $200. After that i guess I go back to a shop because I can't do anymore on my own and will have exhausted all options.

I will let you know if this works once I get the part in the next few days and put it in...all the work I did was really quite simple but it adds up...and I feel no closer to resolution.

Best of luck to you all and hopefully one of us finds a magic bullet.
  • hi, and good luck with your jeep. i have been through every issue and replaced every part you guy's mention. my continuing issue is the ignition coil. it will die just like turning the key off. i have come to the point that i carry a spark tester (about 10.00 at autozone ) when this happen's i raise the hood and check the spark coming from the coil to the distributer and wala it will start with the tester on it. i have gone through 5 count them five ignition coil's in 18 month's. i suggest you buy a ignition coil from a part's house and get the one with a lifetime warrenty as i have got 4 free from my local part's house and the coil will go a couple of month's with no issue's and all of a sudden another coil is needed. i'm not sure this is your problem or not however i do know the crank position sensor will not tolirate any oil not even a film. alway's remember when testing the spark at the coil a yellow spark is the same as no spark. it has to be blue. good luck with your jeep. i drive a 1993 grand cherokee with the 5.2 V-8 and get 22 mpg. i love the jeep even with the annoying electrical issues.
  • joemizerjoemizer Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Okay, we have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 and we had the same problems. After spending a lot of money on sensors, fuel pump and many other things we decied to start it up and wiggle some wires around too see if it could be a wiring problem. We found a wire in a wireharness that runs along the engine by the fuel injectors. At the end of the bar wires coming out there is a wire that goes to oxygen sensor and it was pinched. After fixing the wire and it has not given us any problems
  • your problem sounds like mine to a t.any luck with the pcm? thanks
  • still haven't purchased a PCM to swap. I will update once I do in the next few days...be it good or bad.
  • The same thing happened to my 1998 JGC limited 5.2 v8 i chaged the battery, crank sensor, map sensor ignition cil and ECM. still no luck
  • I got a 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0L and been having issues with low idle and stalling when going from reverse to drive or just taking off from sitting still. I already replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) and MAP sensor. Also I backed the 2 hex screws off 1/4 on the PCM computer, still no luck. I know my fuel pump is getting weak and needs replacing but not sure if thats the problem?
  • i am having this same problem. my 2001 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 v6 i turn it over and it starts. i shut it off and turn it over it starts back up. if i drive somewhere and shut it off it wont start. but if i roll it while i have the ignition turned over then it starts fine. there is no lag in the starter one it cranks and it runs and idles fine. what did you do to fix it or have any ideas?
  • The problem appears to be the crankshaft position sensor. Mine was replaced and it went way. I believes there is a recall on the sensor as well.

Below are additional information that was posted by someone in he past. Hope that it help.

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/3v16e-2002-jeep-grand-cherokee-wit-p0320-truck-st- arts.html
  • I just had my fuel pump replaced today, cranks up good now but still stalls when in gear sitting still or shifting into gear. Also im getting a delayed shift in 1st gear? Below is what all i've done so far.

- New fuel pump & strainers
    - New (Throttle position sensor)
    - New MAP sensor
    - Cleaned IACV (Idle air control valve)
    - Backed both hex screws about 1/4 off from ECM computer
  • I sold my 2001 Jeep and I'm glad I did. But before I did I figured out the problem. It's in the computer. There is a short. There are 2 screws that hold the computer to the base thingy. Remove the screws, put a washer on each screw and screw it back in. I think it was a 10mm, it was thin. It keeps the screws from grounding out the computer. Then wrap the computer in plastic 20" zip ties and tighten it down. Once I did this it stopped the crazy dying with no real rhyme or reason. You can go to Dyingjeep.com for a detailed write up on how to do it but it cost $20. It was the best $20 I spent on that Jeep.

Thanks,
    Dana
  • Car stops after 2 seconds. Pump is ok, fuses ok, relays ok....any ideas as to what may be the issue? I do see that the security light (yelow light with a key) comes on just as the car stops.
    Lucian
  • purchased my 2006 Jeep Cherokee Laredo a month ago with 62k miles on it. Monday it started stalling out completely once when I came to a stop at a stop sign and twice now just shortly after going from reverse to drive. Spent 5 hours at the dealership and they could'nt re-create the problem so no answers from them and of course it happened again today. I commute 30 miles each way to work and would like to feel safe. Anyone else have this problem?? Seems to start back up ok but I'm worried that won't last.

Thanks!
  • I have a 97 Grand Cherokee doing the same thing ive replaced plugs, wire, cap, rotor, new pcm, fuel pump, cps (crank position sensor), cam position sensor, i replaced all that to find out my distributor it self is bad the magnets on it are worn out allowing oil to interrupt the spark killing try replacing it and i hope that solves your problem.
  • I wanted to share with some of you what I've found over the last year with my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. We were having a problem with it bucking and jerking a lot - but there wasn't any pattern, sometimes it would do it, and sometimes it didn't. It wouldn't throw a code or set off any idiot lights, so my mechanic and I were going crazy trying to figure out what it was. We replaced one of the oxygen sensors, and it stopped for a month, then started again. We finally replaced the other one, and it stopped for good. I hope this helps someone - replace BOTH oxygen sensors at the same time!!!

Also, my dashboard has a habit of going dead and taking my windows with it. (Which sucks when it starts to rain!) When I shut the engine off, all the lights come on and stay on for a few seconds. Then after it sits, dashboard comes back on, but the airbag light stays on for a couple of starts, then it acts normal again for a while. My mechanic says that a lot of Jeeps for a lot of years have had this problem from a wiring harness that is bad. Does anyone know if that's true? He says it costs a fortune to fix, so as long as it's still intermittent, I'll live with it. My Jeep has 104,000 miles on it, and I want to get a few years out of it. I don't drive far, but they are frequent trips.
  • b_lindzyb_lindzy Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I'm having a hell of a time with my 2001 JGC. It stalled on me two weeks ago and has not been able to run for more then a min or so since then. I can get it to start and idle for a bit but if I rev it up it will spit and sputter then die. I am gettin multiple random miss fire codes, codes on the cam and crank sensors and also on #1 and #3 coils. I replaced both sensors with no luck, got a coil pack and before istalling it I checked it against my old one with my multi meter and it checked out extactly the same. I replaced it anyway, also with no luck! I checked fuel PSI at the fuel rail ad it was great at 45 psi. figuring that it must be the PCM I orderd one, already flashed (plug and play). Installed it today and nothing!!! Still wont do anything but idle for a while. Anyone have any ideas that I have not thought of? Only thing I can think of is maybe I got a bad cam sensor from the parts store. Thanks for any help.
  • I wanted to email you as this reply won't help any other reader. Did you find out what was causing your issue? I'm having identical symptoms to you.
  • Hey

My jeep grand cherokee laredo is doing the exact same thing. I had it tuned up, ingintion core put in it and I just put a brand new map sensor in it and not even a week later it did it again. i will try and replace the other 2 sensor but since you wrote this has you had and problems out of it and how long ago did you replace all 3 sensor? Please get incontact with me and let me know because I hate to be paying for something that it might not need like the ingintion core that I had put on it which was probably not need. Please contact me am a single mother and money is tight and this is my only ride to work so you know that if its not working right am in trouble.

Thanks for your time am on facebook you can locate me there. :sick:
  • Ok so a mechanic told me that for $600 he could change out my radiator fan motor and fan relay. I told him to go blank him self. So I didn't have any money to fix it and I let the jeep be. 8 months later I come to find out my wife didn't move or even turn on the jeep like we had agreed and now it wouldn't start. I had recently replaced the fuel pump and filter so that's not the problem. My jeep will start only of I throw gas in the throttle body and will only run if I keep it reved up to 2000 rpm not only that my manifold on the exauhst is turning cherry red at some points. Can anyone plz help me I'm at a stand still and I'm tired of walking
  • I have a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo. I can drive it down the road for little bit and it will die on me. I have put a new ignition switch in and a new ICV, but it will still stop running. It if as if it has no gas, but it does have gas. It will turn over just not fire up. It has a new battery as well. It runs good when it will stay running I love the truck, but just can't keep it running.
  • i have a 93 jeep grand cherokee with the 5.2 v-8 . has the same issues. my problem is the ignition coil. go to your local part's store and pick up a spark detector. on mine when the coil start's to fail it will knock off and will start with the spark detecter in place then after a few time's of doing this the ignition coil will fail permantly. i purchased two ignition coils with the lifetime warranty. when the one on the vehicle fail's completely i just change the coil with the spare then take the bad one back for a free replacement. it's a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] but it's the only issue i have. i have been through bout 5 coils in a year. still cant figure out why they fail. doe's not give problem code's. good luck and the spark detecter is only bout ten buck's but worth every penny. just like a spare tire i keep the coil and a 10 mm wrench and the spark tool. take's about ten minutes to change. REMEMBER THIS, A YELLOW SPARK IS THE SAME AS NO SPARK. it must be blue.
  • mine was having the EXACT same problem. I replaced the fuel filter, MAP Sensor, Crank Sensor, Spark Plugs, O2 Sensors, Catalytic Converter...it turned out the problem was a bad fuel injector. Fuel injector on cylinder 3 was sticking. My friend is a mechanic and he replaced the fuel injector for me. It's been running spectacularly since.

Take it to AutoZone to have them pull your engine codes and see if you are getting a cylinder misfire code. If so, it's going to be your fuel injector giving you the problem. Good luck!
  • This reply was for an earlier discussion but it applies to your problem as well.
    Mine was having the EXACT same problem (1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0). I replaced the fuel filter, MAP Sensor, Crank Sensor, Spark Plugs, O2 Sensors, Catalytic Converter...it turned out the problem was a bad fuel injector. Fuel injector on cylinder 3 was sticking. My friend is a mechanic and he replaced the fuel injector for me. It's been running spectacularly since.

Take it to AutoZone to have them pull your engine codes and see if you are getting a cylinder misfire code. If so, it's going to be your fuel injector giving you the problem. Good luck!
  • i'm having this same problem and the mechanic can find no errors on the "computer". mine starts everytime but just loses power without warning. seems like it always early in the morning or early in a trip. after driving out on the highway for a few miles, with the jeep warmed up, it won't do it. it won't do it for the mechanic either!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866
    From Edmunds Answers (scroll down to the bottom):

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo stalling problem

Apparently some web site is selling this information on the net and YouTube for $20, when the spacer fix has been around for a while on the net for free.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.