Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• Again, not being a mechanic, I have to say that you need to get hooked up to a computer to find out what your sensors are saying. Mine was a $70. sensor (retail) that my mech said he installed at his price $168. It was the MAP sensor. Prior to that I had a parts replacement thing going on that eventually came to more than $500.

Watch out for mechs who don't know what's going on and will replace parts at your expense until they eventually hit on the right one. If you know of a "great" mechanic, and is also honest, make sure he is in your last will and testiment...

WillyT
  • I have read this forum exhaustively for an answer and am unable to come to a definitive solution to my problem.

My Jeep starts fine and will run as normal for almost exactly 1/2 mile, then it shuts down and will not re-start...Wait a few hours and this cycle will repeat itself. It will idle all day long.

Further details...

NO CODES
    Good battery
    Good fuel pressure
    Recent Throttle Position Sensor (and I removed and cleaned it)
    Recent plugs, cap, rotor & wires
    Cleaned and tightened all ground connections

What is the most logical diagnostic progression? :confuse:

Coil?
    Idle Air Control Sensor?
    MAP Sensor?
    Crankshaft Position Sensor?
    Powertrain Control Module?
    Something I haven't thought of...?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated....
  • It looks like I need to jump at one of these solutions and see what eventually works. I'll post the answer when found.
  • i just got this jeep drove it home no prob left the dom light on so battery died went to jump start it all my lights started flashing and it will start for about a sec or 2 then die i unplug the alarm so the lights stoped flashing but still wont start any ideas thank you
  • how do you reset the alarm just by unpluging the battery
  • what do you have to do to remove the alarm on a 91 cherokee
  • about the jeep in the last 3 message it was the alarm when the battery goes dead the alarm comes on and will not let you start the truck in will start and die you have to stick the key in the back door turn it left then right and that solves it all.
  • ftbjgcftbjgc Posts: 6
    i have a jeep that was handed down to me.i dont know mutch about jeep so im stumped by all the hoses and junk under the hood anyway ive had it for about a year and when i got it ran like a dream.ive let it sit over the last month or so when i went to start it up it seemed to be starving for fuel.when i take my foot off the the throttle it dies.it doesn't sputter or back fire its like i never started it at all. any ideas? :confuse:
    yea ive read that and seems how the battery died over the months im charging it and tryin that.thanks for your ideas
    i tried the key in the back door no change in the way it acts.there is still no idle what so ever.
  • Start with the Throttle Position Sensor. Here is a link to what it looks like.
    link title

You will find it around the top of the engine by the throttle body (air intake).

It is an easy R & R. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air intake from the throttle body...Unplug the wire connector to the sensor...Remove the 2 screws with a T-20 Torx Head Driver...You usually do not need to replace it...Just clean it well with some carburetor cleaner or replace if you wish...reinstall in reverse steps.

Let us know if that helps. If not we can try something else.
    i removed and cleaned the TPS(throttle position sensor).it helped now it idols but at about 200rpm for about 5 minutes or so then cuts out.is there anyway to adjust the throttle?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    sounds as if you should change the tps
    when i took it off it looked pretty clean but i guess with sensors its hard to tell.
    any other i deas i plan on changing that out if i run out of options. is there anyway to adjust the idol on the throttle body itself?
    the tps could look clean but they work as a potentiometer and you cant see that part if it is not getting a good connection inside could cause your problem
    seem to have fixed the proablem with the tps being cleaned.battery is just losing power now but that a quick swap. thanks for all your help and advice.steve :)
  • I have a 1999 jeep single mother trying to get it fixed.I had it to stall on me too many times just out of the blue runs great but stalls and dies then restarts fine???? I had the batt. cleaned,new tcm or module replaced,new o2 sens. both replaced,new fuel filter/regul.,added saefoam to gas full tank ran out added heat to gas ran out,added fuel inject. cleaner to gas ran out,still stalls for no reason but runs great???? no engine light on??had fuel pressure checked fine on the check point between 4. and 5. something so ok there fuel pump runs fine what next should i try im running out of ideas and money lol?..... :cry:
    sounds as if your crank shaft censer is bad
  • ty i guess i will try this next
  • I will assume that no trouble codes are being thrown nor is the check engine light coming on...

I would start with the throttle position sensor...here is a link to what it looks like...
    link title

You will find it around the top of the engine by the throttle body (air intake).

It is an easy R & R. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air intake from the throttle body...Unplug the wire connector to the sensor...Remove the 2 screws with a T-20 Torx Head Driver...You usually do not need to replace it...Just clean it well with some carburetor cleaner or replace if you wish...reinstall in reverse steps.

Let us know if that helps. If not we can try something else.