Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

1333435363739»

Comments

• awcarsawcars Posts: 2
    I posted this on another Edmunds thread. Just in case someone sees this instead of that one. (Sorry if this is redundant. I didn't read all 38 pages of complaints.)

There are many complaints on Jeep forums about this. It is likely related to the TIPM which controls many items - specifically the fuel pump. I'll paste my forum response below which describes my experience. As I mention, there is a recall pending.
    -
    I have a used 2011 JGC. I first noticed the hard start problem on Wed, 2 weeks ago (9/24/14). It progressed for 2 days before not starting at all. I was able to get the Jeep scheduled for repair the following Thursday.

Prior to taking the Jeep in, I found the recall information on the NHTSA website and called Chrysler per the instructions. Beyond being a bit short and rude, the lady who answered said she knew nothing of the recall - could only find the info on the brake booster and visor issue. She did confirm that I would be reimbursed IF there was a recall and (clarified repeatedly) IF it was EXACTLY the same problem with EXACTLY the same parts, repair procedure, etc. (This is understandable, but she was obviously trying to avoid any legal issues with insinuating I may be covered.)

I took the Jeep in and they fixed the problem by replacing the TIPM. My cost was approx. $1,200. They said they made copies of all the warranty documents I gave them and kept them on file for if/when it comes.

The recall is supposed to begin on 10/24. Hopefully many people will get fixed or reimbursed. Fingers crossed.

I did forget to mention also... One thing I noticed that helped me feel confident it was the TIPM... If I turned the car on, waited to hear the fuel pump, and then started the car, it would start and run for just a second. If I turned the car on and then started it immediately, it would never catch. I would assume that if there is any logic to it, it's turning off the fuel pump after the car is in the "starting" or "run" position. Once I realized that, I knew it was the fuel pump which I knew was a direct issue with the TIPM.