Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• alby3alby3 Posts: 46
    yeah... imagine that. a car company not stepping up to the plate to accept responsibility...??
  • rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    Try replacing your coil wire and the coil, unless you have a coil for each cylinder. Check the spark before you replace the computer. Get an RMS voltmeter and backprobe the fuel injectors. If you get no reading, you found a problem. The computer sends electrical pulses to the fuel injectors. That's why you need an RMS voltmeter. A regular volt meter won't measure very well, if at all. If you are getting pulses at injectors and spark, I doubt your computer is bad
  • replace all the injectors one might be leaking down.avoid buying parts from junk yards unless,money
  • i had this problem before.simple fix replace the computer,they cost less than $200.i found this out after spending$2000.the code shows primary coil#1
  • also the converter is clogged ,replce it.
  • buy a crank sensor from chrysler and replace it.
  • I have been having the same problem with sporadic stalling, and starting issues. Replaced ICU, TPS, MAP, COIL, ROTOR, CAP. After getting stuck several more times I found a loose plug at my CPU. i jammed a piece of cardboard against it and the antifreeze resevoir. Runs just fine now. I found out the connections are well known for comming loose even though they look fine.
  • marlermarler Posts: 4
    hey i had the same thing going on and i found out this even if you get psi on the gas line when its spitting look at the gas make sure it is holding psi. i learned by watching mine works good than as soon as it started spitting that the psi was also dropping very little it was my pump going bad in fact every one told me that if it was the pump it would not start at all i also read that some jeeps have screws that are to long in the cumputer making it short i dont know that but i fixed mine with fuel pump 1999 cherokee larado
  • marlermarler Posts: 4
    look at fuel pump even if its got fuel it has to hold psi meaning it cant drop and twitch on gauge or motor will be doing same thing
    fuel pump is in gas tank
  • I have a 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cyl. I was having problems with my jeep starting. It would take me from 1 to 3 times before it would start. The battery would sound strong, but it just wouldn‘t start until I tried a few times, but it would always start. The motor could be hot or cold and I always had to try up to 3 times to get it started. It would get sluggish when I would slow down at a stop light or have to make a turn. I would have to give it a little gas to keep it running. Never knew if I was going to pull out and it stall on me. The problem was: The fuel filter, I just had the other one put on about a year ago, so I figured it would last me longer then a year. The warranty is for a year on them. I think I got one from a bad batch someone was talking about on here that is why I replaced it and it worked. Thank goodness for this forum. Hope this helps someone. gl
  • Hi. I have the exact problem. have you solved your problem or not ? Thanks for ideas, what to do with this. I tried everything and the problem still here :(
  • Hi swelms. Have you fixed your problem ? I have exactly the same problem and no ideas to fix it. Tried everything and the problem is still here :( Thanks for tips...
  • Tuesday I noticed when I came to a stop the car would idle really rough. It is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Wednesday I get in the car and it starts just fine, drive all the way to work, leave for the day, and as I come to a stop on the freeway it just dies. It wouldn't restart, so I had it towed. The next day at the shop it started up just fine and according to them it would cut off when it got warm. So they replaced the crankshaft position sensor. They told me they drove it 20 miles and it didn't die on them. I get in the car today, go to a light and once again it is idling rough. I call them back and asked them if vibrating is normal and he asked the guy that drove it if he reset the computer. He said, no he didn't. I wasn't able to turn around and let them reset it. Before I go back in there, I want to make sure I know what I am talking about. If I go back in there is reseting the computer really going to do anything? It never threw a check engine light, and when they put it on the machine it never threw a code. I just want to make sure they aren't jerking me around, because right now I really feel they are.
  • I had the same problem. Took me months to figure it out.
    The wiring that runs around the valve cover in the back was sitting on a bolt and had rubbed through. Rubber tube was put on bolt to keep from rubbing wire and causing short in MAP sensor..image
  • About a month ago I went out to start my Jeep and there was just a clicking noise. Nothing else. I did this a couple of times and it didn't start. The third time it started fine. About a week later my radio in my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee quit working. I had the fuses checked and they were fine. It was suggested that I get a new radio. I haven't. This morning I went out to start my Jeep and I again got the clicking noise but it wouldn't start I did this a couple of times and nothing. My husband jiggled the fuse box and the battery cables under the hood and the Jeep started and the radio came on. When I drove to my destination my Jeep again wouldn't start. I opened the hood and jiggled the fuse box and battery cables and it started. What would you suggest?
  • A simple answer would probably be to remove both battery terminals, clean both the terminals on the battery and the connections on the large cables you removed. However, welcome to Jeep Grand Cherokee world. For all of their ruggedness, they are fragile in a number of areas. If the battery is more than 3 years old, I would replace it automatically after having the problem you just described. ALSO, please check where the big black cable from the battery (the Negative cable also marked NEG or - ) connects on the other end. Remove that and sand or wire brush it as well. If you simply can't get at it to remove it, at least be certain it is tight. These vehicles are notorious in a couple of areas. Luckily the battery, voltage and amperage weakness is usually easy and economical to address. The PCM (the computer brain) is also a big problem and it is not easy nor economical but you don't have those symptoms. Good luck.
  • Thank you I will try this but if the check engine light came on for a day and went of during these problems is that a sympton of PCM - I am hoping not!
  • I was curious if you ever located the problem. I am currently experiencing the same problem with my 97 grand cherokee. Any help would be appreciated ive been struggling with it for awhile ive lost count of how many things ive fixed that supposedly were the problem.
  • deressaderessa Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    HI, have u tried replacing the crankshaft sensor...or cam shaft sensor i did and it did help..there doing a recall on the crankshaft sensor... starting ..2013..i still was having a problem with it missing... i have learned mine seems to have a some kind of short ...i can wiggle the wires back in the back that hook up to the coil pack... and on the fire wall and it will quit ..and run right...still trying to figure it out... i was looking for a wire with a bare spot maybe shorting out... anybody else had this problem... hope this might help......
  • have you replaced crank shaft senor they are doing a recall in 2013... on some of the jeep cherokee i know the 2004...google it they maybe doing it on the 2002,