Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• oneofemoneofem Posts: 3
    Found the solution on another forum.

This cylinder has a tendency to have sticking tumblers. As suggested, I inserted the key and lightly tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver. Started right up. I gave it a shot of graphite and will take it by a locksmith later this week.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Thanks for sharing!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • charity3charity3 Posts: 2
    after checking all your normal sensors and you still hava the same problem it will be a ground in your wiring harness start checking oxygen sensor wires on drivers side of engine good luck
  • jlowasjlowas Posts: 1
    Have you replaced your ground cable yet and did that stop your problems. I have a 96 JGC and for a few weeks now I have had intermittent stalling while driving at various speeds. The other day it finally completely stalled while turning a corner. I've had the flickering dash lights for over a year now. Please let me know if your problem is gone. Thanks!
  • melina3melina3 Posts: 10
    i have replaced the ground cable that was non-existant, but it didn't help at all.
    my JGC stalls all the time, BUT only when it's cold outside....very strange. the interior lights still flicker, but i have figured out that is the switch.
    i have replaced soooo many things. even the fuel filter again, the ignition coil....etc. i am about ready to take it to the dealer and pay a ton.
    any other ideas out there???
  • I fixed my Jeep, which was having the same problem, by replacing the AIS motor on the back side of the throttle body. The part cost about $85.00 from the dealer and took me about three minutes to switch out. The dealer wanted $800.00 to fix the problem. I hope this helps you out.

Good luck!
  • 1spwcman1spwcman Posts: 3
    Cold condition idle problem only: All problems exist during first 5 minutes of operation. It stalls at low idle conditions. I have already changed out the idle air control valve and fuel filter, searched for vacuum leaks, and replaced plugs and plug wires. In my research on several forums as well discussing with several mechanic friends, I have a list of possible fixes but need help determining the best plan of attack specific to cold idle problem only. Here’s my list, I need advice on sequence and possibly the logic behind you sequence.
    • Camshaft position sensor – I list it first because it once showed this error code while at auto zone. Their reader had zero code for 4 of the 5 reads. I have had a cold engine reading yet. Engine always warn by the time I get to autozone.
    • Crankshaft position sensor
    • Throttle position sensor
    • Evaporative emission control system filter/solenoid
    • Manifold absolute pressure sensor problem, possible dirty mass flow sensor
    • Low voltage at PCM
    • The PCM itself
    • Erratic fuel pump
  • 1spwcman1spwcman Posts: 3
    what is an ais motor on back of throttle body SEE mesage 54 of 54
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    bet it a iac moter (idle air control motor mounted to the side of throttle body
  • tonkadogtonkadog Posts: 6
    2000 Grand Cherokee just shuts down while turning. So far it has only shut down when making a right turn and it doesn't matter if it is cold or has been driven for miles there is no consistency to when it will just quit. There is not any code thrown so nothing to retrieve with the scanner so far. Also it has only shut down in a slow turn. Engine is a 4.0L inline 6 and there is not a factory installed alarm system just the remote door locks.
    I have seen the solutions for the stalling and quits discussions and hate to replace $100's worth of parts before I get the right one sometime. Does anyone know what the bottom line part to replace is without going through the half dozen or so sensors? I figure the PCM would be the ultimate part to replace but what about the loose connector going to it if there is one, wiggled them but they could have a loose wire inside I don't know.
    Yeah I have a Haynes manual before someone asks that and I can find my way around an engine.
    Thanks for help. Any past experiences would be appreciated and I really do want to know what you did to solve your problem.
    Norman
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    I had a similar problem although it was not affected by turning. The Jeep would either just turn off or would go into a "stumble mode" where it would continue to run but without enough power to accelerate. It would always restart easily sometimes continuing to stumble and sometimes not. Replacing the crankshaft sensor did not do it in my case, I had to replace the PCM. This cost about $250 with the core trade in and only took about 15 minutes for me to do it in my driveway. Not cheap, but far from a financial disaster and I have had no problems since.
    Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I have been leaning toward doing that and I think I know the place online where the PCM can be sent and redone practicaly overnight for $250.
  • 05jeepman05jeepman Posts: 12
    My 05 has done this twice, but it was making a left turn both times. Any way to find out exactly what's causing this without taking it to the dealer, it's an overnight stay no matter what it goes in for, and I only have this vehicle running right now??? Thanks for any info on this.
    To give an update on my daughter's 2000, she said it tried to stall out on her and had no power when she first started it and drove it yesterday. That is new.
    I am probably going to just go ahead and bite the bullet so to speak and replace the computer for somewhere in the $300 range. The vehicle has over 100 thousand miles and it is out of the year spread to be covered by the warranty on the computer.
    Now your vehicle on the other hand, probably still has a warranty on the computer unless you have more than 80,000 miles so you would probably be covered. The catch as always is to get them to admit its bad and replace it under warranty. An who knows it could be something else so you may want to keep looking at the other posts under stalling, etc. I spent several hours late one night looking through all the posts and taking notes for all the possible things that could be causing the quitting and boy there are a bunch. The closest thing to a bottom line thing that most all the people said they finally wound up replacing was the PCM or computer.
    I first thought it might be the ignition switch, but I wiggled the key while the engine was running and nothing happened. We have tried to get it to quit by driving in the driveway and making sharp turns but nothing happens.
    I know the one vehicle routine is not good, especially when that one vehicle is not up to snuff. Everything that could conceivably cause the engine to just quit are fairly easy to replace its just the cotton picking money that I don't like to throw away.
    Well I don't know if I have been any help but there are solutions out there it just takes time
    Thanks for the reply, I just found this site, so I'll go and explore a little before I take it in. Thanks again for the time and info. :D
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    One other thing I noticed on my Jeep was that as time went on the problem would occur more frequently and too a worse degree before I replaced the PCM. Good luck on yours.
    Thanks for the info, I wish now I would have thought about it when it was at the Dealer. Oh well, it's got less than 30k on it, so if it happens again, it's going back WITH this info to let them know I know what it is. Dealers around here want to act like everything that happens to the vehicle is my fault, and the thing still looks brand new. :confuse:
  • kparisokpariso Posts: 1
    My 96 J.C (auto 2-wd) stalls, occasionally backfires and sputters. When it dies, it sounds like a diesle engine, it makes awful noises. it seems to loose power like i am running out of gas or something.When it does die i usually smell unburned fuel.It mostly does it when i am @ a stop or slowly accelorating but sometimes it will do it while i am cruising on the highway. I have replace the cap and wires, the ignition coil, mapp sensor and a couple other small things. A few days ago i had a friend looking at it and he touched the wiring control harness and it died. He put some grease on it to open the connection and it was fine for a few days but now it is getting worse. Is this a major mechanical problem? I did have a code that said something about fuel injector 1 open circuit. I have to get this fixed, i am pregnant and getting stuck in the middle of the road.
    PLEASE HELP!!!
  • raysnlamraysnlam Posts: 1
    When I go for local (stop-and-go) traffic, at Idle (foot on brakes like at stop light) the car will sometimes stall quietly. The car will restart without any strange sign. If I leave the car in Netural, it will sometime stall, too. When the car shift gears, it will shoke once like the engine is choking. At high speed though, everything runs smoothly.

Pressure gauge reading varies between the middle and 3-quarter. Replaced Oil Pressure Gauge and Crankshaft Position Sensor. Also cleaned throttle chamber. None seems to fix the issue.

Any idea?
  • Hi, I was towing my boat, stopped to get gas for my jeep & 15 minutes down the freeway, everythings shuts off, the car basically stalls. I was able to pull over to the side. I tried starting it and it just wouldn't start. Almost seemed out of gas (but I just filled the tank). Also, the gas gage showed empty. Strange, since I just filled. Tow truck driver tried jumping the battery to see if it would start (even though the battery worked fine) and it just wouldn't start. The engine turns over but it just start. It sounds like it wasnt to start, but it just acts like it is out of gas. Any ideas? I am really wanting to get it up and running! Thanks. it is a 5.8L/5.9L V8